• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
My guy says Temple if the Ocean King but I'm not sure how much of that is due to the dungeon itself or the game it's in.

I'd also throw out that first stealth dungeon in Wind Waker. It's not awful but it's really frustrating to have to get through so early in the game.

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
I replayed all the Zelda games a couple years ago and two parts stand out: the tadtones section of Skyward Sword and the dungeon interlude in Oracle of Ages that requires a bunch of Goron mini games. Those are the two parts where I thought about stopping the project entirely.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Never understood the tadtones hate. Like I'll admit it's padding and not particularly exciting but it's so simple and inoffensive. There are far worse sections in Skyward Sword

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to be a bit controversial and say the Divine Beasts because of how repetitive they are, or any of them really.
I'm inclined to agree. I've played every mainline Zelda game but the Divine Beasts are my least favorite dungeons. I found them frustrating more than anything. I really didn't like how the puzzles were designed.

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
Out of the ones I've played, I think I hate the "D" dungeon in Zelda 1, 2nd quest, the most. You stumble across the boss room after uncovering a little over 50% of the rooms, and the rest is just fluff. Think you can even trap yourself into a segment of that dungeon if you come back afterwards, due to a one-way shutter.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Nah, Skyward Sword is definitely a 9. Absolutely fantastic game, despite its flaws, which will likely be heavily improved/corrected in the remaster.
It had good dungeons, the desert area was really creative, Skyloft was a charming town, and it had some nice music and story moments. Other than that, I don't think too highly of SS and I don't think a new control scheme will be enough to change my opinion. Like, I always think back at how empty and boring the Sky was other than Skyloft and it always just makes me sad because there was so much potential there and I feel like almost none of it was met.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Never understood the tadtones hate. Like I'll admit it's padding and not particularly exciting but it's so simple and inoffensive. There are far worse sections in Skyward Sword
Honestly, the only section that felt like straight up padding to me was returning to Skyview Temple, and that was only like 10 minutes of a 40 hour game. Everything else is basically something Twilight Princess did but more fun... well, except the tadtones since swimming isn't as good in Skyward Sword, but I didn't have a problem with the controls. I just can't phathom how anyone could say the Silent Realms are the worst thing Zelda has done when the Twilight Realms exist. The Silent Realms are fun challenges.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
It had good dungeons, the desert area was really creative, Skyloft was a charming town, and it had some nice music and story moments. Other than that, I don't think too highly of SS and I don't think a new control scheme will be enough to change my opinion. Like, I always think back at how empty and boring the Sky was other than Skyloft and it always just makes me sad because there was so much potential there and I feel like almost none of it was met.

Agreed with your criticisms. Beyond that, the overworld functioning more as one big dungeon threw me off as someone who enjoys Zelda games primarily for the exploration aspect.

Jan 29, 2018
zDXP30e.png

Oh yeah it's actually this.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
The Yiga hideout in BOTW was one of the most frustrating things I've ever played, I hate stealth in games that don't specialize in it though. At least in OOT it was simple and quick. The WW section with the spotlights sucked ass too now that I think about it.

Kroze

Oct 28, 2017
I like how this is Temple of the Ocean King: the thread, but to all of you who are bringing up OoT Water Temple are straight up sleeping on the worst dungeon in the entire series

OoT Master Quest Spirit Temple is legit the worst thing to ever possibly exist within this series hands down. Tell me I am wrong.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nah I like the n64 version better. 3ds version is way too easy.

... But the only changes are minimal mechanical ones, with some lines on the walls and the iron boots being an actual item instead of through repeated use of a shit menu option that requires pausing, oftentimes repeatedly in a row.

If the 3DS version is too easy for that reason, just pay a person to punch you in the head every few seconds or something and you can get the same experience as the N64 water temple

Oct 28, 2017
... But the only changes are minimal mechanical ones, with some lines on the walls and the iron boots being an actual item instead of through repeated use of a shit menu option that requires pausing, oftentimes repeatedly in a row.

If the 3DS version is too easy for that reason, just pay a person to punch you in the head every few seconds or something and you can get the same experience as the N64 water temple
I'm talking about the markers on the wall. It spells it out for you.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Temple of the Ocean King is a blight upon humanity

I also really disliked Lanayru Mining Facility and Skyview in Skyward Sword. The rest of the game's dungeons kicked ass for the most part but LMF's electricity putting you in hitstun for way too long slowed the pace of everything to a crawl if you ever got hit and Skyview's central puzzle I mostly just found lame.

ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
A lot of Wind Waker examples are coming to mind.

Yep even though I love the art style and story, a lot of Wind Waker, especially the endgame, was just dull to play through. surprisingly one of the weaker zeldas for me, although i haven't played skyward sword yet.

not really a level, but as a kid, i always hated having to use a leaf to go over water in Minish Cap. I'd move a little and fall in the water right away lmao.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Tadtones section in Skyward Sword

Yes it is not that long. Yes it is not hard.

That doesn't matter.

It's the fact that narratively it makes zero sense since the The Imprisoned's seal is breaking and you've already proven yourself to the Water Dragon, and mechanically it is peak collectathon and asset reuse using the worst control scheme in the game (swimming / flying). It's the worst to me.

The Silent Realms are a close second.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Man, remember when Zelda had temples and dungeons with unique themes and mechanics? Member that? Worst that I've played was those Divine Beasts.
OR the beginning of Wind Waker where you are forced into stealth sequences at that pirate hideout...bleh...

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
You're getting another water temple vote from me. Forever lost there until you can find that tiny opening in the pillar you have to sink under the block you use as an elevator to the top.

I think I got stuck there for a really long time because I never knew where to get a certain key or two, so I always made sure to avoid certain doors there so I didn't need them. Was highly annoying.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
The Yiga hideout in BOTW was one of the most frustrating things I've ever played, I hate stealth in games that don't specialize in it though. At least in OOT it was simple and quick. The WW section with the spotlights sucked ass too now that I think about it.

Yeah, this is my least of the game and the worst Divine Beast intro quest. At least you can cheese it with either ancient arrows or Revali's Gale. Actually genuinely thankful that the freedom is there to allow you to get through it in the way you see fit. With a majority of other Zelda games, you have your one way and that is it.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly... in retrospect, the Water Temple isn't that bad but I can't really pinpoint a particular Zelda dungeon I found to be worse than it. I can tell you I didn't enjoy almost any Skyward Sword dungeon outside of the desert ones with that cool "time reversal" mechanic.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
My guy says Temple if the Ocean King but I'm not sure how much of that is due to the dungeon itself or the game it's in.

I'd also throw out that first stealth dungeon in Wind Waker. It's not awful but it's really frustrating to have to get through so early in the game.

Those were what immediately came to my mind as well. Ocean King was baked into the design and tried to attempt something novel, so I like to give it some points for making an attempt, but the time constraints just frustrated.

Dragon Roost or whatever from WW felt like it was chasing gimmicks and was a poor start to the adventure. Forced stealth, linear hand-holding, lots of basic hoops to jump through before and during the few opening hours you experience it. It was a rough start that somewhat deflated the giddyness of this grand epic you were to experience. Sadly, the realities of ocean discovery further decimated my fondness for the game following it too.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the only section that felt like straight up padding to me was returning to Skyview Temple, and that was only like 10 minutes of a 40 hour game. Everything else is basically something Twilight Princess did but more fun... well, except the tadtones since swimming isn't as good in Skyward Sword, but I didn't have a problem with the controls. I just can't phathom how anyone could say the Silent Realms are the worst thing Zelda has done when the Twilight Realms exist. The Silent Realms are fun challenges.

Yeah never got all the hate SkSw gets. One of the longer running youtubers I watch occasionally (Video game Awesome) played it first and prefer it to OoT.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Nah, It was imposing, challenging, massive, featured some tricks and traps you spent the game learning to overcome and prepare for. Mostly it was combat hell and had a long labyrinthine gauntlet to survive, but I WISH most 3D Zelda's followed suit in attempting such an epic dungeon closer.

Instead we usually get a lame boss rush(with no upgrades to match our enhanced power and gear), no new puzzles, tricks, challenges to overcome. Zelda rarely has strong final dungeons, this felt like a true feat to overcome.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, Skyward Sword is definitely a 9. Absolutely fantastic game, despite its flaws, which will likely be heavily improved/corrected in the remaster.
Isn't it rumored that the QoL enhancements are quite barebones this time around? Aside from the button remapping and what is already confirmed. I don't expect to see anything changes with the actual pacing and level design of the game.

poseph

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only good stealth conceived in a zelda game was getting past the guards before seeing zelda in OoT. How are you gonna be frustrated with that funky little tune playing?

As for the topic, it's probably temple of the ocean king, but I haven't played it since it came out so there's a chance it's not as bad as I remember.

Pippip

Apr 13, 2019
I remember some dungeons in Spirit Tracks frustrating me like no others had, but on reading through the thread, personally it's totally the Yiga Clan section in BotW. Because I don't have enough patience for stealth sections, so I just groaned when that one showed up.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Keep in mind I'm only comparing it to the original so the "formula" wasn't a thing yet. There are tons of dungeons in the later games I prefer to 2. It was also my first Zelda which I'm sure is part of it, but I prefer the difficulty that the dungeons in 2 bring as opposed to the easier but with puzzle elements that are in the 1st. Also the bosses are definitely not copy pasted outside of 2, the others are unique in some way. Anyway it's just a preference, and for me personally the palaces were just more memorable to me than the dungeons in 1 but again probably just because it was my first game in the series, although I did go through it again recently and still enjoyed them just as much as I did in the past.
'first game syndrome' is real. I played the original first so I probably have an inflated sense of that games design.

I definitely don't hate zelda 2 but i think the dungeons are the thing I look forward to least when I replay, outside of that annoying series of caves in death mountain (which I just found out you can skip lolol)

and yah the actual bosses aren't copy paste, I was wrong about that. I guess I meant more the iron Knuckle guys that guard every key in every palace but they are not really bosses I suppose and you can also kind of bypass those with the faeries.

I honestly think I would like zelda 2 dungeons a bit more if some of them weren't so damn big and confusing

Jun 5, 2018
I hate the forest temple in ocarina of time, because most of the rooms look the same I can't tell you how many times I've come to a dead end replaying it, and the music on top of it all feels like it's taunting me, I can still here it even now.