• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where Does Your Loyalty Lie?

• Kyrian

Votes: 143 20.2%
  • Necrolords

Votes: 127 17.9%
  • Night Fae

Votes: 247 34.9%
  • Venthyr

Votes: 191 27.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
Any suggestions for race/class for me and my ten year old so that we start together and our skills compliment each other? We'd just be doing pve and questing.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Any suggestions for race/class for me and my ten year old so that we start together and our skills compliment each other? We'd just be doing pve and questing.

That's cool! I played with my dad way back in Vanilla and had a fun time with him, so hopefully you'll enjoy it. :D

First tip is that race is 99% meaningless in WoW. You get a few small racial perks, but they're largely flavor and niche utility. You should each pick whatever you find appealing; the only requirement is that they both be on the same faction (Alliance or Horde).

Second tip is that all the classes are fun and effective; there aren't any bad choices. I'd recommend clicking around the character creator, reading the class descriptions, and finding something that jives with you. The only two that will initially be off limits are Death Knight and Demon Hunter. They're unlocked at a higher level, and they have their own starting area (so you probably don't want to pick them initially anyway).

To actually give somewhat of an answer to your question though... while any duo of classes can get through all the leveling content together just fine, things will probably be a bit smoother if one is a class with some tank or healer capabilities (or, even better, someone who can do both). In no particular order, those classes are...

Tanks: Warrior, Paladin, Druid, Monk
Healers: Priest, Paladin, Druid, Monk, Shaman

For completeness, the "pure" damage classes are: Mage, Rogue, Hunter, Warlock (the latter two have pets that can fulfill the "tank" role while you're leveling, though you'll want a dedicated tank player for dungeons)

Even if you end up picking a DPS specialization on your character (for instance, a Shadow Priest or Retribution Paladin), you'll still get access to a bit of extra healing or tanking power. If you both end up picking pure DPS classes (e.g. Mage + Rogue), then that will still work, but you'll have fewer tools to recover from mistakes.

This is personal bias talking, but if you want a class that pairs well with everything, I'd recommend Paladin. All three specs of Paladin get access to heavy armor, strong healing spells, upfront damage, and a bunch of group utility tricks that can get you out of a bad situation. Protection Paladins in particular bring everything that a leveling duo could ask for. The only real downside to Paladin is that you don't get as many movement tricks as other classes do (for instance, Warriors ability to charge across the battlefield, or Mage's ability to teleport). Instead, you're a walking fortress of defensive utility and bursty damage.

That said, there really are no bad choices. You should both make the characters you want to make; you're only doing yourself a disservice otherwise. gl hf! :D

Last edited:

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
That's cool! I played with my dad way back in Vanilla and had a fun time with him, so hopefully you'll enjoy it. :D

First tip is that race is 99% meaningless in WoW. You get a few small racial perks, but they're largely flavor and niche utility. You should each pick whatever you find appealing; the only requirement is that they both be on the same faction (Alliance or Horde).

Second tip is that all the classes are fun and effective; there aren't any bad choices. I'd recommend clicking around the character creator, reading the class descriptions, and finding something that jives with you. The only two that will initially be off limits are Death Knight and Demon Hunter. They're unlocked at a higher level, and they have their own starting area (so you probably don't want to pick them initially anyway).

To actually give somewhat of an answer to your question though... while any duo of classes can get through all the leveling content together just fine, things will probably be a bit smoother if one of you have someone who have either a tank or healer (or, even better, someone who can do both). In no particular order, those classes are...

Tanks: Warrior, Paladin, Druid, Monk
Healers: Priest, Paladin, Druid, Monk, Shaman

For completeness, the "pure" damage classes are: Mage, Rogue, Hunter, Warlock (the latter two have pets that can fulfill the "tank" role while you're leveling, though you'll want a dedicated tank player for dungeons)

Even if you end up picking a DPS specialization on your character (for instance, a Shadow Priest or Retribution Paladin), you'll still get access to a bit of extra healing or tanking power. If you both end up picking pure DPS classes (e.g. Mage + Rogue), then that will still work, but you'll have fewer tools to recover from mistakes.

This is personal bias talking, but if you want a class that pairs well with everything, I'd recommend Paladin. All three specs of Paladin get access to heavy armor, strong healing spells, upfront damage, and a bunch of group utility tricks that can get you out of a bad situation. Protection Paladins in particular bring everything that a leveling duo could ask for. The only real downside to Paladin is that you don't get as many movement tricks as other classes do (for instance, Warriors ability to charge across the battlefield, or Mage's ability to teleport). Instead, you're a walking fortress of defensive utility and bursty damage.

That said, there really are no bad choices. You should both make the characters you want to make; you're only doing yourself a disservice otherwise. gl hf! :D

thank you so much!! Especially for all the detail. I had no clue classes could act as different classes. That's going to make it a lot easier on us.

I'm thinking I will go Paladin and he goes.. Priest, Druid, Monk, or Shaman?

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
thank you so much!! Especially for all the detail. I had no clue classes could act as different classes. That's going to make it a lot easier on us.

I'm thinking I will go Paladin and he goes.. Priest, Druid, Monk, or Shaman?
As a kid I always adored Druid, because you can transform in different beasts (with different uses and abilities each). Always found it cool, still play it today and can highly recommend it for your kid!

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
As a kid I always adored Druid, because you can transform in different beasts (with different uses and abilities each). Always found it cool, still play it today and can highly recommend it for your kid!

I was also going to say Druid too. He will have a blast doing things that no other class can do and the flexibility to play any role he wants.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
i'm always a little cautious about recommending druid just because the skill cap is so high

just about anyone can play balance with moderate success just because it's a simple spec, but once you get into the weeds of resto owlweaving, guardian's massive toolkit and the sheer amount of stuff feral has to keep track of, it gets harder to suggest it to new players

Hixx

Oct 25, 2017
Fair few people saying the 29th/30th of June after a Chinese streamer said a Netease (I think it's Netease?) employee told him the current anticipated date was July 1st. The Chinese weekly reset is apparently 2 days after the US one so...

Dunno if this has been debunked yet. Not been following WoW too closely, finally lost interest in the current content.

In fairness to Shadowlands, it's very rare it takes me 5+ months to lose interest in a current tier. Think with a usual patch release cycle SL could have been a really good expansion.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
the PTR seems pretty far behind that i'm skeptical of any dates that aren't at least late july, but they've done crazier things

it's a pity that covid... is, because shadowlands is pretty good despite the content trickle.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
yeah, feel there's way too much missing on PTR as it is right now.
When PTR is feature complete, I'd expect something like 4 weeks before it goes live.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
i'm always a little cautious about recommending druid just because the skill cap is so high

just about anyone can play balance with moderate success just because it's a simple spec, but once you get into the weeds of resto owlweaving, guardian's massive toolkit and the sheer amount of stuff feral has to keep track of, it gets harder to suggest it to new players

I've been alting (non-raid/mythic) a Druid since release and I don't do any of that stuff. It's plenty easy to faceroll pew pew as a chicken, bear or cat. Hell, I'll even heal with Resto because it's so forgiving and mobile.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I've been alting (non-raid/mythic) a Druid since release and I don't do any of that stuff. It's plenty easy to faceroll pew pew as a chicken, bear or cat. Hell, I'll even heal with Resto because it's so forgiving and mobile.
sure, but you also have experience with the game if you're running a druid as an alt and are more familiar with the various mechanics each form borrows from other classes

i can say from experience that it can be really overwhelming for a new player who doesn't yet have that background knowledge or are really familiar with the resources to help them out just yet

(that's not to say they shouldn't try it if it interests them, just that i'd personally not suggest it)

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
sure, but you also have experience with the game if you're running a druid as an alt and are more familiar with the various mechanics each form borrows from other classes

i can say from experience that it can be really overwhelming for a new player who doesn't yet have that background knowledge or are really familiar with the resources to help them out just yet

(that's not to say they shouldn't try it if it interests them, just that i'd personally not suggest it)

Plenty of people also rolled Druid as their first MMO class ever in Vanilla (when it was undoubtedly less streamlined than it is now) and fell in love with it. I think it's a great choice. :D

(I've been killing time to 9.1 by falling in love with Classic all over again, so that's my current perspective on things.)

And @northnorth: if either of you isn't feeling your initial classes, feel free to experiment with others. Don't feel like you're locked into anything; I actually did that way back when I started WoW (my first character was a Night Elf Hunter... but I also wanted to make an Undead Mage, and once I started playing him I never went back).

Last edited:

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Time for another Random Royalan Hot Take:

I...still love Torghast. 👀

Don't get me wrong, I understand the criticisms, and I even agree with most of them. But there's just something about the core idea behind Torghast that really appeals to how I like to play the game. It's a lot slower, it encourages you to plan your pulls (if you're running it alone), it's surprisingly a great way to get used to a new class.

I'm at the point in a patch where I'm just logging in 2 or 3 times a week to play the game, and to this day one of those times will be just to do a few rounds of Torghast.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017

It's for a ten year old though, the coolness factor for Druid is amazing. I highly doubt they'll be worrying about owlweaving and all that anytime soon. None of that matters until endgame, the rest is a breeze no matter what you do.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
timed my first 15 (DoS) on holy pali heh :D

got fucked by a 7 stack bursting once, but I'm pretty sure not even my priest would handle a 7 stack bursting.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
It's a lot slower, it encourages you to plan your pulls (if you're running it alone), it's surprisingly a great way to get used to a new class.

I liked that Torg could be done at your own pace, which of course Blizz decided to punish now having constantly timed pulls in order to progress in the new system. It's not required, but necessary to advance under the new system.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
It's for a ten year old though, the coolness factor for Druid is amazing. I highly doubt they'll be worrying about owlweaving and all that anytime soon. None of that matters until endgame, the rest is a breeze no matter what you do.
i mean it is cool and that's why they should still do it if it interests them, but with how much of the game actually happens at endgame, especially in SL, it's not something that i think you should disregard when making a class decision

i'm really just saying i wouldn't personally suggest it as a first character, not that only galaxy level brains can play druid

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Time for another Random Royalan Hot Take:

I...still love Torghast. 👀

Don't get me wrong, I understand the criticisms, and I even agree with most of them. But there's just something about the core idea behind Torghast that really appeals to how I like to play the game. It's a lot slower, it encourages you to plan your pulls (if you're running it alone), it's surprisingly a great way to get used to a new class.

I'm at the point in a patch where I'm just logging in 2 or 3 times a week to play the game, and to this day one of those times will be just to do a few rounds of Torghast.
I do like how strong you can get in Torghast. When I was running Venthyr as Arms I fell in love with the anima power combination that allowed a Condemn at any health % and that every Condemn knocked dudes down. It just felt so good killing bosses when they literally couldn't touch you lol

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
here comes the nerf hammer Holy Palis :p

Blizzard heard you timed the 15. Nerf! :D

For a moment, I misread the datamining as a massive nerf to Prot and Ret as well and nearly had a heart attack, but it was actually just a net-zero change to offset the buffs that Flash of Light is getting.

I'm excited to see the damage nerf be paired with some buffs to the traditional caster Holy Paladin. Melee healer Paladin is cool and 100% on brand as far as fantasy goes, but Holy Paladins have spent so many years dropping bomb Holy Light heals that it feels weird for that playstyle to be pushed out of the meta. Hopefully they both end up viable.

Also, spotted this change...

• Repeat runs of previously completed Torghast Wings and Layers will now award partial Soul Ash.

I guess the new currency for Ranks 5 and 6 is still limited.

Last edited:

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
really strange they didn't nerf Ashen more. it's in line with the base line holy paladin nerfs. I always figured the issue was Ashen being so OP. Hpal is "paying" for their base line damage with having to be in melee, and dealing with all those mechanics, plus having little to no group healing.

Not really liking these changes, but won't really change our gameplay much. Don't see myself casting Holy Light while in melee still.

The mana change for CS though might change things, the HS mana cost in 9.0.5 did very little, but was still somewhat noticeable, in Season 2 without prides to regen massive amounts of mana, and the change to CS, might put us just over the passive regen.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
the changes are super weird. Holy Power is still a problem imo.

Just make it so the ahrd casts give holy power if you want people to cast them. So now Holy Light (but not flash ligh lol?) gives 1 holy power (instead of the 30% buff, which was actually great with beacon of virtue) when you have infusion of light proc? tahts it?

thats nothing. you still have the awkward luls when you have both crusader strike charges and holy shock on CD and you can't generate holy power. In fact, with the crusader strike nerf (reduces holy shock by 1 sec instead of 1.5) thats only going to get worse.

So yeah, I was already missing my priest lately, this will all just likely mean Ill go back to the priest sooner or later

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
How is HP a problem though? the whole playstyle is built around generation of HP and using it to heal, otherwise it's basically a worse version of a holy priest, with no group heals.

I said how it's a problem? there are luls where you can't generate it and its super awkward. In my opinion at least, from this last month or two of playing it, I just never liked when you can't generate your main resource is all.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I said how it's a problem? there are luls where you can't generate it and its super awkward. In my opinion at least, from this last month or two of playing it, I just never liked when you can't generate your main resource is all.
Ahh, ok I misread that then, sorry.
Well the luls you fill with LotM usually, LoH if someone is super low, and so on, we're very CD dependent really so it's important to use everything at our disposal.

there are times when I'm "dry" with abilities but it's not often and it's usually manageable unless group is just facerolling mechanics.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Ahh, ok I misread that then, sorry.
Well the luls you fill with LotM usually, LoH if someone is super low, and so on, we're very CD dependent really so it's important to use everything at our disposal.

there are times when I'm "dry" with abilities but it's not often and it's usually manageable unless group is just facerolling mechanics.

it's a pet peeve really, although I do think it will be exacerbated if that holy shock CDR talent nerf goes live.

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
for playing pretty casually i have a few characters OK geared (190-200), not the best obviously, but on my DK i for the life of me cant get a damn Neck piece. im not going to drop 200k+ for AH neck. i guess ill maybe try and find a M0 group and try and get one this weekend or something lol.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
for playing pretty casually i have a few characters OK geared (190-200), not the best obviously, but on my DK i for the life of me cant get a damn Neck piece. im not going to drop 200k+ for AH neck. i guess ill maybe try and find a M0 group and try and get one this weekend or something lol.
there's usually some WQ with a neck piece 194 max though, so be on lookout for that as well.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoy unlocking the heritage armors. Can't believe (yes I can) they dont have more coming in 9.1
wowscrnshot_051321_10qqjz7.jpg

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
you know, not a "fair comparison" because one has specs and the other only has 1 class / job yadda yadda, but you know what? fuck that noise.

FF14's Endwalker is going to have TWO new jobs/classes (one DPS, one healer), meanwhile WOW hasnt had one in 2 expansions. Come on man.

Again, yes FF14 jobs/classes would basically count for 1 spec technically, thats fair, but thats still 2 new "specs" then, and Blizz gave us fuck all.

It's like one company knows what fans want (you know what people like with new expansions? new playstyles to try out) and the other, well...

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
blizzard also has the habit of doing some pretty drastic redesigns of all their specs every expansion, while XIV only totally overhauls one or two and gives the others new toys

it's still not a super fair comparison since the art team was probably spending extra time on the character customizations rather than building a whole new spec, and XIV caught reasonable flack for introducing two gender locked races with severe restrictions on equipment display while WoW went ham on them in the last expansion

it definitely would be nice to see something though. round out DH with a third spec, introduce tank shaman finally...

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
currently, 17 normal ones (the kind that would be comparable to a WoW spec). the expansion will be adding two more. there's also blue mage which is a special "limited" spec, which you can't use in all content and can't use matchmaking with

it's a far cry from WoW's 36 with different talents and builds available to each

the flip side is that there is (or rather, was) more unique content available to each one in the form of the job quests, but those have largely wound down as of shadowbringers

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
How many total specs does FF14 have?

Each job (class) is basically a single spec, there's very little in the way of customizing within a class (Blue mage is the exception but they aren't a "real" job insofar as being something you can main at max level). All Warriors are tanks, all black mages are dps etc, and there's generally one "correct" rotation/way to play

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Each job (class) is basically a single spec, there's very little in the way of customizing within a class (Blue mage is the exception but they aren't a "real" job insofar as being something you can main at max level). All Warriors are tanks, all black mages are dps etc, and there's generally one "correct" rotation/way to play

That's not neccesarily true. There are different ways to configure your gear based on you stat options (i.e. critical versus spellspeed black mages) and either way can change how you play the class. Plus, unlike Wow, there is no borrwed power and each expansion all jobs get new things to fit into their rotations. These abilities can either completely change your rotation or add more dimensions. Wow kind of falters there as most classes I use have little change in their rotation from lvl 30 onward and way too much uniqueness is locked behind trinkets.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
That's not neccesarily true. There are different ways to configure your gear based on you stat options (i.e. critical versus spellspeed black mages) and either way can change how you play the class. Plus, unlike Wow, there is no borrwed power and each expansion all jobs get new things to fit into their rotations. These abilities can either completely change your rotation or add more dimensions. Wow kind of falters there as most classes I use have little change in their rotation from lvl 30 onward and way too much uniqueness is locked behind trinkets.

They are certainly different approaches, and they both have strengths and weaknesses. A lot of ff14 jobs are downright boring until you get some key abilities/mechanics at 50+, but the complete package tends to be pretty engaging.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Ironically, the sheer amount of class options in wow is one area where wow struggles: it becomes a nightmare to balance and most borrowed powers (especially covenant abilities) are usually boiled down to "get this one for your class, it's the best and only option".

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Ironically, the sheer amount of class options in wow is one area where wow struggles: it becomes a nightmare to balance and most borrowed powers (especially covenant abilities) are usually boiled down to "get this one for your class, it's the best and only option".
some of this is inflicted by the community, the delta between the covenant options for many specs is rarely more than 5% making almost all of them viable, but then you do have those outliers which bring down the whole system and scare folks into following the prescribed best approaches.

they just need to quit with borrowed power and get back to permanant power increases

Last edited:

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Games never been anywhere close to balanced. Don't know why we care now. Mages and warriors in vanilla. Resto Druid and Prot Pallys in BC. DKs and Ret in WOTLK. etc.

And with so much homogenization now the classes are still unbalanced but also lack any uniqueness. At least before you might have been a shitty Shaman, but you got to drop your cool totems and use bloodlust. Now your DPS is shit and there's no reason to bring you over a warrior.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Games never been anywhere close to balanced. Don't know why we care now. Mages and warriors in vanilla. Resto Druid and Prot Pallys in BC. DKs and Ret in WOTLK. etc.

And with so much homogenization now the classes are still unbalanced but also lack any uniqueness. At least before you might have been a shitty Shaman, but you got to drop your cool totems and use bloodlust. Now your DPS is shit and there's no reason to bring you over a warrior.

The implied statement of "Shadowlands isn't anywhere close to balanced" is kind of absurd to me, ngl.

I'm curious what the game would have to look like for you to consider it "close to balanced", lol.

I do agree with your statement that it's easier to dodge the question of exact numerical balance entirely when there are more unique forms of power tied to each individual choice. That's the motivation behind why Covenants are the way they are, and why the system would be wholly uninteresting if it were "just another talent row" or something. Also, Enhance Shamans do have Windfury, and utility like Windrush Totem can be invaluable in the right circumstances (though WoW has undoubtedly moved away from that design overall).

Last edited:

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
finally got one of my characters far enough in the command table missions to start getting the mounts from those but it jumped from like 48 elite level on the last adventure progress mission to 60 for the mount one lol

Status
Not open for further replies.