• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
a couple weeks ago I made a thread about Planet Fitness being a reasonable starting point for going to the gym, and since then I've been thinking about just buying a bit of gym equipment and working out at home.

I don't have enough room for a bench or anything, but I was thinking about buying a set of adjustable dumbbells and using those to work out in my room at my apartment.

The biggest reason I want to work out at home is because the gym is out of the way of my commute. I would have to go further from my apartment after work to get to the gym, and then have a longer commute home after that. I feel like if I got a gym membership and didn't feel like making the commute to the gym that I would just not go.

the biggest downside I see to working out at home that is that it would be very easy to get distracted by all my stuff at home and just not work out at all.

so ERA, which do you prefer and why?

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I went to a gym for a long time, but between time constraints and the other factors, I started working out at home. I have a similar set of bells, and I just do cardio outside.

Oct 27, 2017
Wondering this myself since I'll be moving soon and the gym is going to be out of the way now. Any recommendations for a good bench to use in a relatively small space?

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer working out at home, and just make sure that when I'm committed to a workout, it sticks until I'm done.

If you don't feel you have the focus for that, then a public gym may be better, or just do better on making sure you don't get distracted.

Cost is the other issue, but it sounds like you're not going for anything major, so that probably won't factor into this discussion.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Can anyone recommend a machine (or even a piece of cardio equipment) that can supplement a gym workout? I have a rowing machine, though Ive considered moving to a TotalGym or maybe a Peloton.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Home workouts with the right equipment, i.e. doorframe pullup bar, resistance bands, etc. are way more convenient and less expensive than a gym.

OP
OP
Fulminator

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer working out at home, and just make sure that when I'm committed to a workout, it sticks until I'm done.

If you don't feel you have the focus for that, then a public gym may be better, or just do better on making sure you don't get distracted.

Cost is the other issue, but it sounds like you're not going for anything major, so that probably won't factor into this discussion.
with my current level of fitness I don't think I'd need more than those dumbbells for a while. I definitely can't lift anything close to 105 lbs per dumbbell, but that set has the highest amount of single plates, so it would give me more options for weight distribution, which I'm willing to pay for.

and yeah, I think in the end I'm more likely to work out at home than making the trek to the gym, at least while I'm living in this apartment.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Personally if you have the space and buy a decent set of dumbbells, it is better to work out at home. Overall it is cheaper in the end.

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
I like working out at home, but really only because I have invested in some nice equipment like a power cage and olympic weight set. If I only had dumbbells I def would go to the gym over staying home, but that is better than nothing. I guess it depends on what your goals are though as you won't be able to do chest presses without a bench. You could still do shoulder presses and squats and rows though which are great.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I like working out at home. Going somewhere is a massive barrier and adds non-workout time to the cost of admission. If I had to go somewhere I'd work out way less. With a pull-up bar, dumbbells, and a bike at home I squeeze in a ton of exercising. I bike while gaming all the time. I'll do pull-ups after going to the bathroom or something.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been working out at home for a couple of months now - have a small bench, two sets of adjustable weights, and I use BoxVR on my Quest for warmup/cardio.

I'm not a gym rat, but it's been an effective way to at least reach some baseline level of fitness.

legendofgood

Oct 25, 2017
I work out at home with a set of dumbbells. I've managed to keep a consistent routine for 3+ years.

Working at home is preferable to me, because I can control the environment 100%, have everything I need when I need it, and ... no pants required.

Here is the routine I used as a framework (but I built onto it).

I believe the only downside is that there are certain muscle groups you may not be able to hit due to being limited to dumbbells.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
If you're truly serious about seeing results, a gym is the only way. There's no way you could set up an apartment to compare equipment-wise.

If you're just looking to be healthier and/or lead a better lifestyle, working out at home is fine.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I had a decent home setup but the time I spent setting everything up (space constraints) and the cost that went into it, I'm way happier going to a gym now that's 20 min away by bike.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I workout from home. I have dumbbells, pull-up bar, stationary bike, and some other things. Then everything else I just do bodyweight exercises.

Sure, there are a couple of thing I'm lacking, but the conveniences are just too good. No membership, people, commute, and not having to rush sets.

On the flipside, the lack of people can also be a negative. I'll generally push myself harder when there are people around. When I'm alone, I'll say I don't push myself as hard.

OP
OP
Fulminator

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Home workouts with the right equipment, i.e. doorframe pullup bar, resistance bands, etc. are way more convenient and less expensive than a gym.
oh yeah, my parents have a doorframe pull up bar lying around that I'm going to take as well
Gym 100%. Compound exercises are a must for me and I don't have the physical space to buy a squat racket for example.
I like working out at home, but really only because I have invested in some nice equipment like a power cage and olympic weight set. If I only had dumbbells I def would go to the gym over staying home, but that is better than nothing. I guess it depends on what your goals are though as you won't be able to do chest presses without a bench. You could still do shoulder presses and squats and rows though which are great.
well the only gym I can currently afford is planet fitness, which from my understanding doesn't really have proper free weight equipment for squats and benching, so I don't know if I'd be missing out on much in that regard

I would be willing to buy a bench but I'd need one that I can fold up and put under my bed or something like that. I know there are foldable gym benches but I haven't really looked into it too much. I also could just use a substitute, I've seen videos of people using coolers and stuff lol

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I prefer home workout, but I like using machines for my workouts, so its kinda hard to afford and room all of them lol. I just wish I didn't live 15+ minutes out from gym.

Oct 27, 2017
It's entirely dependent on what you do in the gym, your fitness goals, and how much space/money you're willing to spend to emulate that at home. I go to a ton of classes so working from home isn't the same and when I weight lift I use a number of different machines. Plus I live in an apartment and don't have the space for weights or anything anyway

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
For me, "working out" = compound lifts with a barbell, and everything else is secondary. So home-workouts aren't gonna be an option for me until i have a garage or basement with space for a squat rack and a floor durable enough to assemble a makeshift lifting platform on.

Also from experience i can say I'm way better at making the extra commute than i am at actually exercising in my apartment. I've stopped planning to do assistance work at home because i just flake. I make myself do it all in one go while I'm out.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I've started doing classes. I need some sort of structure and guidance, or I'll just waste time and get nothing done. Plus, they force me to actually have something to lose (money) if I skip out on going.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
oh yeah, my parents have a doorframe pull up bar lying around that I'm going to take as well

well the only gym I can currently afford is planet fitness, which from my understanding doesn't really have proper free weight equipment for squats and benching, so I don't know if I'd be missing out on much in that regard

I would be willing to buy a bench but I'd need one that I can fold up and put under my bed or something like that. I know there are foldable gym benches but I haven't really looked into it too much. I also could just use a substitute, I've seen videos of people using coolers and stuff lol
Just be careful if you are going to do barbell squats at home, you don't want to get yourself injured. Body weight squats or dumbbell squats are a good starting point.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I lift at home now, I miss the gym DEARLY...I loved drinking a pre-WO, putting on my hoodie, hopping in my car, cranking some music, driving to the gym, and just having at the weights in that atmosphere...but now...

I got kids, and I'm busy, and I just need to pound the weights 35 minutes 4 times a week, and its easiest to just go into the basement and do that. I have never been as strong as I was in a gym, never found that inner-beast at home, but Im also not getting any younger.

I have a very good bench, a nice 1/2 rack, Olympic BB, Powerblock adjustable DBs, curl bar, tricep bar, bands, TRX, and a back hang upside down decompression table (I have ALLLLLLL the blown discs)

OP
OP
Fulminator

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose I should mention my fitness goals. I'm not looking to get shredded or anything like that, at least for the time being. I am exceedingly skinny fat, perhaps a bit overweight. I have love handles and a slight muffin top, and some back fat.

my top priority is to cut down on body fat %. I would say I'm between 25 and 30% body fat with very little muscle, but at a reasonably healthy weight. (I am 5'9" at 165 - 170 lbs)

I do want to gain muscle which is why I'd prefer to do something with weights rather than primarily cardio, but my top priority is getting between 15 - 20% body fat in the next 6 months to 1 year (not sure the timeframe for this kind of thing)

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Easy distractions + space constraints is why I do the gym route. If I do eventually plan on a home gym and have the space for it, a power rack like this would be what I'd aim for since it would pretty much replace everything a gym could provide.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I strongly prefer investing in my own equipment. It's something that you can build up overtime and its yours. forever.

Having it at home allows me a lot more flexibility in how much I workout and how frequently as well

65024660_10156467245415017_6625448591265628160_o.jpg

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
I work out at home, an advantage is that I can work out nakey just on my undies and go to the shower right after I finish, whereas on the gym I have to spend money on a fancy workout outfit and since I'm broke af right now, that is a no no, plus the membership and stuff. I don't use machines whatsoever, not even weights, it's all cardio, pushups, squats and variations of them. For the arms I simply do dynamic tension exercises with the arms pushing each other for 30 seconds multiple times through the workout session. I've been doing that for almost 2 years and it's been ok. I already developed a nice abdomen, though not as pronounced as you could get by using machines at the gym but at least I don't have any ugly rolls around my belly anymore and that's enough to me.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Gym.

Going to a place makes it harder to cheat and keeps you motivated if only due tot he fact that you can't just roll over and do something else more interesting.

That being said, our planet fitness just installed a ton of TV's everywhere and it's so fucking distracting...I hate it.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suppose I should mention my fitness goals. I'm not looking to get shredded or anything like that, at least for the time being. I am exceedingly skinny fat, perhaps a bit overweight. I have love handles and a slight muffin top, and some back fat.

my top priority is to cut down on body fat %. I would say I'm between 25 and 30% body fat with very little muscle, but at a reasonably healthy weight. (I am 5'9" at 165 - 170 lbs)

I do want to gain muscle which is why I'd prefer to do something with weights rather than primarily cardio, but my top priority is getting between 15 - 20% body fat in the next 6 months to 1 year (not sure the timeframe for this kind of thing)

I think we're in the same neighborhood in terms of body composition. Home workouts have been very helpful for me. You can always start augmenting with gym work later on.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking hate the gym gym. Wish I had a home gym or at lesst one in my building, would be there everyday.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
I have a bench and squat rack at home, and some dumbells so I can do pretty much everything at home. I've been doing it for years so I saved thousands by not going to the gym. Can run outside for cardio and also have a pull up bar.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Home, I would never workout if I had to go to a real gym. That little barrier of having to get up and go there would kill me. It takes 2 minutes to get ready and walk out to my garage to workout. Even though there are a number of gyms nearby it would still be 15-20 minutes each way factoring in everything to get ready and get there. My time after work is limited and precious. That 30+ minutes lost to travel and prep would eventually result in me skipping and just dropping out entirely.

You don't even need much either. Some basic free weights, bench and bar is all you really need. Rowing Machine is my mainstay though, but that can fold up relatively well if required too. Resistance bands and stuff are pretty invaluable and great alternative/supplement as well in place of other more complex machines. I would definitely use those even more if I didn't have space for the actual weights and rower.

Motivation is hard for me, but even when I'm heading back home and I'm like "yeah I won't workout today cause of xyz bullshit." When I finally get home I feel guilty cause I know I just need to walk out to the garage spend 20-30 minutes and that's it. There's virtually no excuse to not workout, even if I put it off for a half hour so when I arrive. So I workout. If I had to get ready and drive to the gym that wouldn't happen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fulminator

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Gym.

Going to a place makes it harder to cheat and keeps you motivated if only due tot he fact that you can't just roll over and do something else more interesting.

That being said, our planet fitness just installed a ton of TV's everywhere and it's so fucking distracting...I hate it.
well I feel like I am very much the type of person to make a plan to go somewhere and then actually just not go/go home instead. if I have exercise equipment at home I feel like there is a higher chance of me actually working out even if there are distractions there.

I would honestly like to go to the gym, but with my current financial situation + the fact that it's out of the way of my work commute, I feel like Im not likely to go as often as I would actually like to
I think we're in the same neighborhood in terms of body composition. Home workouts have been very helpful for me. You can always start augmenting with gym work later on.
yeah good point

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Depends entirely on how far away the gym is.

If the gym is more than a 15 minute drive then home makes a lot more sense for me because I just don't have that kind of time.

Ideally I would love to have the gym be within a 5 minute walk from my house. Then I would just use the gym and save the space at home and use it for something else.

For me I live in the burbs and there are not decent gyms that close to me so instead of driving 15 minutes to get to the gym I would much rather work out at home.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If I didn't have zero space I'd only use the gym for the pool. I've just been doing calisthenics and finding new ways to do more challenging workouts. I find it a lot more fun and I feel more in tune with my body than before.

Ube

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i used to go to the gym frequently when my wife and i had a condo. when we had a kid, we moved out of said condo into a single family home and converted the garage into a gym.

we have a full set up: squat rack, bench, and deadlift platform + bumper plates; along with a lat pulldown machine and a set of dumbbells (15lbs - 50lbs).

it's definitely a long term investment but being able to workout and be within earshot of the wife+kid justified our purchases. having a home gym saves a lot of time too; i dont need to commit 2-3 hours going to the gym especially when most of that time is spent on waiting for a rack/travel

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
If you have the discipline to workout at home then do it. I have a gym at home but because I associate home to being my place to relax I don't go as hard as the gym.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I do both. I enjoy both. The gym has more variety and heavier weights. I find when I go to the gym, I put in more work. When I work out at home its too easy for me to call it quits before I've really pushed myself. When I go to the gym I am committed to putting in at least 1.5 hours. I've pretty much got it down to: I go to the gym for heavy lifting, heavy bag, basketball, swimming. I do calisthenics at home.

Deleted member 20603

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Plus you can play whatever music you want without headphones, and don't have to worry about embarrassing yourself when you REALLY get into it. You can make whatever sounds you want

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Gym.

I hate the TV's because its always fox news and the christian channel I know there isn't any sound without headphones but its still damn distracting when I'm trying to forget about politics for a bit.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
The only real benefit of a gym for a regular person is to prevent you from slacking off. If you're able to commit, working out at home is infinitely better.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I got to the gym because:

1. It motivates me when I see the lads and ladies in great shape putting in the work
2. I live alone and have no friends and so gym is literally the one place where I can enjoy some human company for a short period of time without feeling burnt out.
3. I feel like people see me and pushes me on
4. I can glean from the instructors training and their self workout routines for additional posture related information
5. Occasionally crossing paths with life and hometown.