• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It was just mediocre. Let's not lump all international audiences in as some monolith that only like spectacle. That's nonsense.
International audiences like mediocre movies all the time though.

WW just overperformed domestically, like TDK. And if that comparison holds, then the overseas gross for the sequel will be higher than the domestic take.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Nicole Kidman is having a good run between the breakout success of Aquaman this year and Big Little Lies last year.

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
Success or not, Captain Marvel will show the world the numbers an actual great female led superhero movie can do.
haha sure

People have to realise over half of Wonder Woman's grossing came domestically ($412M of $821M).

Internationally Wonder Woman did less than Homecoming, Ragnarok, Guardians Vol.2, Justice League and not much higher than Logan either last year. This year Infinity War, Black Panther, Venom, Deadpool 2, The Incredibles 2 and even Ant-Man and the Wasp made more overseas. Most of these aren't even close.

When all is said and done Aquaman's international total is going to be near double of Wonder Woman's.

Wonder Woman simply didn't capture audiences outside of North America. Personally I think the movie was good but overrated and very poor in parts too (e.g. final act). Can't say I'm surprised it didn't.
yeah but I still think WW deserved to hit 1b more than freaking Aquaman

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
There's not much of it, but I really liked the bond between Arthur and his dad, both performers sold that well.

Yeah Momo and Amber had zero chemistry, but that's the case with most comic flicks. WW has the best romantic tale in the genre, and I thought Chadwick and Lupita were both great together in BP.
You can probably count on one hand the amount of superhero movies where the romantic leads have good chemistry. Besides the ones you mentioned I guess there's also the first Captain America, the Amazing Spider-Man movies, Deadpool, and that might actually pretty much be it. RDJ and Gwyneth Paltrow have their moments too I suppose.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
International audiences like mediocre movies all the time though.

WW just overperformed domestically, like TDK. And if that comparison holds, then the overseas gross for the sequel will be higher than the domestic take.
TDK was the top performer both domestic and overseas the year it released. It'd be like an Avengers movie today basically in terms of gross. It's nothing like Wonder Woman in that respect. You've got someone questioning why Wonder Woman didn't over perform internationally like it did domestically and the answer to that is simple. The hype wasn't there like it was on the domestic side just because you had a female superhero. That leaves you with how the movie resonates and obviously while it did well, it wasn't good enough to break the top ten overseas. It's basically middle of the road. There's no point trying to compare it to Aquaman since Aquaman does what it set out to do better anyway and that's why its resonating so much better with audiences.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda liked the relationship between Aquaan and Mera (or at least I didn't hated it) but I watched the movie subbed, so maybe the voice actress did a better work.

And still I found to be hamfisted and not necesary at all. The romance of Aquaman parents was definitely better

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
You can probably count on one hand the amount of superhero movies where the romantic leads have good chemistry. Besides the ones you mentioned I guess there's also the first Captain America, the Amazing Spider-Man movies, Deadpool, and that might actually pretty much be it. RDJ and Gwyneth Paltrow have their moments too I suppose.

As good as they are individually, they have no real chemistry. Tony talks at Pepper and doesn't react to her much at all. It's in the character I suppose, but no, there's no chemistry.

BP has some great chemistry, it's just not a big part of that movie. Wonder Woman has great chemistry. If you want to go back, Donner Superman movies.

I do agree with your point overall, I just see it in different places.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

I genuinely think Wade and Vanessa in the first Deadpool is the best superhero movie romance.

TDK was the top performer both domestic and overseas the year it released. It'd be like an Avengers movie today basically in terms of gross. It's nothing like Wonder Woman in that respect. You've got someone questioning why Wonder Woman didn't over perform internationally like it did domestically and the answer to that is simple. The hype wasn't there like it was on the domestic side just because you had a female superhero. That leaves you with how the movie resonates and obviously while it did well, it wasn't good enough to break the top ten overseas. It's basically middle of the road. There's no point trying to compare it to Aquaman since Aquaman does what it set out to do better anyway and that's why its resonating so much better with audiences.
You liking Aquaman more than WW isn't an explanation for why Aquaman is outperforming WW overseas. Obviously Aquaman is striking a chord with international audiences more than WW did, the money is proof of that! But the explanation for why isn't going to be just "because WW is mediocre" because obviously a lot of other mediocre or worse movies have performed just as well or better overseas. Like, I'm pretty sure the Transformers movies are total dogshit, and yet all of those sequels have outgrossed WW overseas.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder Woman is not mediocre.

Aquaman is packed to the gills with spectacle and its just a lot more movie than Wonder Woman. WW did better in the US because she's an American icon not well known overseas.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
"Professor Marston and the wonder women " , about WW's creator , should have defiantly done better. I liked it quiet a bit, but no one else seem to have watched it .

Last edited:

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crazy how Aquaman will be the first DC movie in this movieverse to hit 1B. I'm happy for it. Such a fun, beautiful looking movie.

James Wan and James Gunn will propel DC forward I hope.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
"Professor Marston and the wonder women " , about WW's creator , should have defiantly done better. I liked it quiet a bit, but no one else seem to have watched it .
I am among those people.

dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
We live in a world where Wonder Woman and Aquaman(!) are more popular and perform better than Batman and Superman, and the entire freakin Justice League. I would never have thought that possible.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
We live in a world where Wonder Woman and Aquaman(!) are more popular and perform better than Batman and Superman, and the entire freakin Justice League. I would never have thought that possible.

Neither Wonder Woman or Aquaman are more popular than Batman or Superman, they just had better movies.

For real, folks have to stop boiling down box office returns to character popularity. It's no longer enough to put a character or a group of characters in a movie and expect big returns, you have to make a movie folks want to see.

Tagesreste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aquaman was so laughably mediocre that I'm surprised it's going to become the #1 grossing DC film.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Shows what you get when you make good movies for DC. Like the ceiling is incredibly higher than Marvel movies, they've just been botching it for years.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
Shows what you get when you make good movies for DC. Like the ceiling is incredibly higher than Marvel movies, they've just been botching it for years.
I want a Green Lantern movie with all the crazy stuff. Have Mogo, all of the Lanterns: Larfleeze, Dex Starr, Saint Walker etc...

If Aquaman can gross 1billion with all the silliess surely WB can bring all the Green Lantern stuff to a movie without being afraid of bombing or audience not getting it.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
How come this feel-good light hearted action advanture crowd pleasing film making money ? the world may never know .

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Success or not, Captain Marvel will show the world the numbers an actual great female led superhero movie can do.

Man I am saving this post for later. Spider-Man freaking Homecoming did WW numbers overall. Presuming that Captain Marvel will BTFO WWs numbers is just.... very confident.

I like Carol a LOT, but it's this level of forcing the narrative in and out of the fiction that has kept her character back ever since she became Captain Marvel. There's no reason to tear down a great pro feminism moment like Wonder Woman just because Marvel Films was slow on the draw.

'An actually great female led super hero movie'

Oof

How come this feel-good light hearted action advanture crowd pleasing film making money ? the world may never know .

This seasons Jumanji

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
If i was dc ans warner bros id make a new plan to lead to a 2025 justice league movie

I say 2025 to give us some time to get rid of the stench of failure with the justice league movie brand

And hopefully by then batman and superman have been fixed in movies

Status
Not open for further replies.