• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad for Terminator fans who were looking forward to more but thank god.

So sick of seeing them try to redo the same sort of "Terminator goes back in time and theres a modern day scuffle" T1-T2 story over and over again.

Salvation was the one shot for the franchise to actually do something fresh and feel like its moving forward but it sucked and bombed too so it all seems pretty fucked as to where to take the series going forward.

Last edited:

TableBeRound

Alt account
Banned
Oct 21, 2019
Out of interest I just checked the box office takes of all the Terminator movies. None of the films after T2 have matched T2's box office (and let's not even speak of adjusted for inflation). That is insane considering T2 came out in 1991.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best Terminator movie post T2 was the Universal Studios Florida attraction and it's not even close.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Chaos Legion, Haliee Steinfeld/Spider-Gwen is in Charlie's Angels. (My silly theory turned out to be true!)

This movie is now even more amazing and we must ensure it's success.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for Terminator fans who were looking forward to more but thank god.

So sick of seeing them try to redo the same sort of "Terminator goes back in time and theres a modern day scuffle" T1-T2 story over and over again.

Salvation was the one shot for the franchise to actually do something fresh and feel like its moving forward but it sucked and bombed too so it all seems pretty fucked as to where to take the series going forward.
yeah, I watched it again the other day and it's such shit. It has plenty of good ideas in it, I'd kill for a Saving Private Ryan knockoff in the Terminator universe with the whole story being John gaining followers and freeing people from the camps.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Goddamn Paramount just can't catch a break.

At least they're not taking the full blast of losses, I guess?

On a related note, it's also kind of amusing how most of the production studios that have made Terminator films have eventually fallen apart or experienced severe financial losses over the following decade of the film's release.

Carolco (T2)? Released megabomb Cutthroat Island and was dead by 1995.
C2 (RotM and the first season of SCC)? Abandoned by 2008 after the rights to the franchise was acquired by the next studio below (C2 did try making some non-Terminator Hollywood films, but it was shit like Basic Instinct 2 and that I Spy movie adaptation with Eddie Murphy that failed to make money).
The Halycon Company? (Salvation and SSC Season 2)? Declared bankruptcy a few months after Salvation's release. Because they were unable to make payments to a hedge fund that gave them money to acquire the rights to the property. (The company is technically still around, but their output has been rare at best).

Skydance has made mostly successful films so far, but with Genisys underperforming and DF being an outright flop, they should watch their asses.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
25-30 doesn't sound like a great start for the sequel to one of the greatest horror movies of all time. I expected way better especially with glowing reviews.

the IT mini-series wasn't even that beloved i dont think and the new IT brought people out in droves for some reason

probably way better marketability to just show a scary clown or something i dunno

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
the IT mini-series wasn't even that beloved i dont think and the new IT brought people out in droves for some reason

probably way better marketability to just show a scary clown or something i dunno

The marketing for IT was pretty good tbh.

But I thought Doctor Sleep had good marketing too (and a lot of it!) and look how that ended up.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
I wouldn't say reviews have been glowing, but they've been solid. Feel like the trailers were poor.

You could tell tracking on the movie was iffy when, at the last second, they really, really started playing up the Shining connections, and explicitly showing how Doctor Sleep would connect back to places like the Overlook Hotel. None of that was present before, but that's also why the original trailers were so weird? There just wasn't much to hang the movie on, and I'm someone who loves Flanagan, King—I'm the damn target audience.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
You could tell tracking on the movie was iffy when, at the last second, they really, really started playing up the Shining connections, and explicitly showing how Doctor Sleep would connect back to places like the Overlook Hotel. None of that was present before, but that's also why the original trailers were so weird? There just wasn't much to hang the movie on, and I'm someone who loves Flanagan, King—I'm the damn target audience.

They also put out a bunch of early screening dates that I think they were hoping would push word of mouth.

I happened to get in an early screening and I don't think they're going to get the word of mouth they were hoping for.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
They also put out a bunch of early screening dates that I think they were hoping would push word of mouth.

I happened to get in an early screening and I don't think they're going to get the word of mouth they were hoping for.

I realize "The Shining 2" sounds really shitty, but Doctor Sleep secretly being a Shining sequel without acknowledging it in the title is also just a wasted opportunity. I'm excited to see it tonight, though my expectations are pretty low.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I realize "The Shining 2" sounds really shitty, but Doctor Sleep secretly being a Shining sequel without acknowledging it in the title is also just a wasted opportunity. I'm excited to see it tonight, though my expectations are pretty low.

The "origin" of Doctor Sleep is cool but
it takes up maybe ten minutes of the film and is never once referenced again.

Can't wait for more people to see it so I finally have people to talk to about it.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I've been pleasantly surprised with how much the trailers/posters are fronting Johnson's name. I was worried after the TLJ blowback (which was likely exaggerated by some of the bad-faith crowd online, but still) they'd be like "Hey, it's James Bond and Captain America!!!...oh and Rian Johnson too." But it's been pretty much "A RIAN JOHNSON WHODUNNIT" every single time.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I see boxofficemojo isn't the only website amazon has decided to ruin this fall. imdb.com now auto-plays twitch embeds with audio on every page load. good job there dorks.

Oct 31, 2017
Disney keeps blaming Fox bombas

Operating results at the TFCF businesses reflected a loss from theatrical distribution driven by the performance of Ad Astra, Art of Racing In The Rain and Dark Phoenix, partially offset by income from TV/SVOD distribution.

Hopefully Ford v. Ferrari breaks out. That looks like a good movie.

Frozen II is so gonna take out The Lion King. Hell, I won't be surprised at all if it reaches 2 billion. It's gonna be unstoppable.

I hope all overseas. I need Frozen 2 to do less than 425MM domestic for the prediction thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.