• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you begun to consider starting a physical media collection (Blu-Rays, 4K UHD Blu-Rays etc)?

• I already (and still plan to) collect physical media

Votes: 334 42.9%
  • Yes, I have begun to consider starting a physical media collection

Votes: 15 1.9%
  • No, I don't have any plans to start a physical media collection any time soon

Votes: 429 55.1%

• Total voters

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
ERA is gonna start hoarding toilet paper.
LMAO
Losing scripted shows to unscripted trash does not make me calm...
TheWrap (it's paywalled and disappears) says that the Head of HBO Content, Casey Bloys, will take a more senior role at the combined streaming service. I think they're simply rationalizing scripted programming, at worst. Not jettisoning all scripted program from the combined service.
So, HBO will be a hub for premier scripted drama.

View: https://twitter.com/thewrap/status/1554900143651971078?s=21&t=xC-MzINm3rhkR1lpTimTkA

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
Already have a large physical collection and will keep going. Have little interest in the churned out content these streaming services provide.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgzY_2dAi37/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Doesn't look like HBO Max itself is going away, considering Selena Gomez just posted that the new season of her cooking show is coming August 18th. (and i think it was weekly new eps wasn't it?

Maybe HBO Max will be the big umbrella and Discovery stuff will be added to it?

HBO Max isn't going away between now and 15 days from now

It will be phased out over time as they get Discovery+ in more regions

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I never stopped. The only things I've gone fully digital with are PC games and music.

kev.wav

Oct 25, 2017
TheWrap (it's paywalled and disappears) says that the Head of HBO Content, Casey Bloys, will take a more senior role at the combined streaming service. I think they're simply rationalizing scripted programming, at worst. Not jettisoning all scripted program from the combined service.
So, HBO will be a hub for premier scripted drama.
Ok, but what does "HBO" mean here? If they're hoping people are going to resubscribe to the cable channel I think that's delusional

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
I've been collecting physical media since blu-ray's debut. I have been prepared since the dawn of time.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
The idea of me simply buying just one DVD/Blu-ray at this point in time feels very very weird nowadays, let alone starting a collection.

I used to have shelves of games and DVDs, quite strange to think about how differently I feel about it now.

SuperDevilJoe

Dec 27, 2021
Yep, it means movies and tv shows. It means games as well.
The only game that i've played multiple times was Diablo (1, 2, 3), due to the nature of the game (i meant playing an area multiple times to get better gear).

Once i've done with a movie/tv show/game i'm off to another one, because for me, having a new experience is always better than having the same one again.
lol man that's a pretty bad way to look at it, but to each there own I guess. If it was me, it would feel like a constant "chasing that high of something new just for newness sakes'"
There's been things I got back to years later, and have a better understanding and appreciate of it.

Sorry don't mean to sound judgmental lol, I just see this comment a lot on ERA and thought I'd asked why.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Ok, but what does "HBO" mean here? If they're hoping people are going to resubscribe to the cable channel I think that's delusional
If the new service is 'WarnerMax' and HBO is relegated to only a hub of this service, they are probably just recognizing they could have one HBO team focus on scripted programming, as opposed to two separate teams. It's cost cutting, and not really unreasonable.

They aren't getting rid of HBO content on the service. (I'd assume they'll simply be more judicious on shows)

never

Oct 28, 2017
My wife and I watch a bunch of stuff on HBO MAX, this seems fairly absurd, but latestagecapitalism is a thing so…….

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
6otepw.jpg

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
I've been in the process of going digital. HDD space is cheapish, a NAS is nice, and 25-30TB drives are right around the corner.

UHD MKVs look so much better than streaming bitrates anyways. Sadly HBO/WB is in no rush to put out their catalogue titles in UHD, be it streaming OR physical.

Oct 25, 2017
They're just folding the content of HBO Max into Discovery+, rather than vice-versa or running them as parallel apps / services.

This is just a game of cognitive telephone where people keep iterating on misunderstanding.

They have already announced the removal of HBO Max original movies. I suspect we will hear of more stuff leaving the service.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
variety.com

With HBO Max and Discovery+ Expected to Merge, Streamers Debate Scale vs. Brand Identity

As Warner Bros. Discovery and Disney heap new content on their streaming outlets, they risk undermining solid marketplace brands.
This would enable people who signed up to binge-watch "Barry," "Succession" and "Last Week Tonight With John Oliver" to get their fill of "Naked and Afraid" and hundreds of hours of the excitable Food Network personality Guy Fieri hosting supermarket competitions and chowing down on chicken-fried steak or meatloaf at dining hot spots.
I like this quote because this is me exactly lol. The trash tv my wife and I watch is almost exclusively Guy Fieri stuff

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgzY_2dAi37/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Doesn't look like HBO Max itself is going away, considering Selena Gomez just posted that the new season of her cooking show is coming August 18th. (and i think it was weekly new eps wasn't it?

Maybe HBO Max will be the big umbrella and Discovery stuff will be added to it?

Zaslav was responsible for a show being cancelled and a season of television being shelved less than 24 hours before it was supposed to premiere. Look up Chad on TBS.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely made me glad that Zach Snyder's Justice league got a 4k UHD release. Movie is fantastic and will be an absolute travesty for it to have gone the way of some of the other max originals at this point.

It has also made me think twice about getting rid of blu-rays, though DVDs of common films...

cut-it.gif

I might still get rid of, Only so much shelf space.

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
Turns out the flag Our Flag Means Death refers to has actually been the Discovery logo this whole time.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
If you have the budget and space, I am a big supporter of owning physical media at least of your favorite things. I have a fairly decent movie collection now thanks to a used music stores and thrift shops.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
lol man that's a pretty bad way to look at it, but to each there own I guess. If it was me, it would feel like a constant "chasing that high of something new just for newness sakes'"
There's been things I got back to years later, and have a better understanding and appreciate of it.

Sorry don't mean to sound judgmental lol, I just see this comment a lot on ERA and thought I'd asked why.

Yeah, no offense taken. It's always nice to see a different opinion on the matter.
I'm not doing it for newness sake, as i have pretty limited time with my job, social life and everything else. I'm very selective on what i watch or play.

The thing is, i have a pretty good memory and i remember lots of details, so it's always weird watching something multiple times because i feel like i know all that's happening and there's nothing for me there.
I enjoy the unknown and that thrill of expecting something and things not go your way. It makes my mind race with different scenarios and pathways, and that's just missing when you see something a 2nd time.

There's not right or wrong way in doing it. It's all about enjoying your time.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I feel like the branding of HBO is much more recognizable than Discovery. I wonder if they just start a new service that merges it all. Like a Warner Bros thing.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Nah, I haven't bought physical media since 2016-2017. Further reinforced after most of the CD and DVDs I've had from the 90s and early 00s started leaking a couple of years ago, I will not leave my useless trash for future generations.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I buy the movies I love on Apple, and often on sale. So, no, I'm not going to buy discs. I will just keep doing what I've been doing for years.

Feb 9, 2018
I've been collecting physical media since I got my first job back in 1998. I currently have about 80 films (including the 4K steelbook editions of every MCU film) and an assortment of cartoons & anime on the format as well on Blu-ray. I'd own a lot more if I had the money. I've always preferred having hard copies, and it does kinda bug me that so many shows on streaming never get physical releases (or if they do it's on DVD instead of Blu-ray for some reason). The idea that a show or film I like can suddenly be cast into oblivion, never to be watchable ever again, with the mere flick of a switch never sat well with me (same for video games, which I still buy physically).

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If HBOMax just reverts back to HBO content, I'll be fine. I've watched three HBOMax originals since the platform launched; Raised by Wolves (cancelled), Peacemaker, and Tokyo Vice. The rest is HBO content. I just want to know if the WB film catalog is gonna be pulled from it along with stuff like Rick and Morty.

Milky Way

Oct 29, 2017
I just don't understand how Discovery has more value than HBO. Am I stupid? Who the fuck watches discovery?

Oct 27, 2017
I love physical media, and will continue to buy it as long as I can, but I can't imagine that one streaming service going down is going to push many people to start getting physical. Something new will take it's place, and people will move on. Either the shows they like from HBOMax will end up someplace else, or people will complain for a bit and forget them (or pirate them).

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Did I miss any developments? What does this mean for shows like Barry, Hacks, Succession etc? FFS OP, it's been 4 pages, can you make some threadmarks or updated the OP? Still confused.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
No. I have gone down the physical collection route and had one for a long time until I realized I almost never watch things more than once.

Venat Fan

Oct 29, 2017
Because of HBO Max? No

I have been thinking about in general for a while now, but space is too much of a concern. If there was a DRM-free digital storefront for at least movies, I'd definitely be buying a lot from there