• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Apparently it's super fun for co-op but just as fun for Multiplayer. It also has a really good looking art style in my opinion:
ezgif-4-32d09c36f24d.gif

FtK_-_Polar_Bear_-_Copy.jpg

It's roguelite with JRPG Combat and it's a tabletop game (as it says in the image) but it's been way more fun than I expected and for 7.49 or 7.99 (whatever the hell this cheap price was), it's been already worth it so far
RNG is fucking brutal in this game.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

Troubleshooter, an SRPG. Combines the very best parts of XCOM, Fire Emblem, and Tactics Ogre into one of the most innovative SRPGs ever. If you like system-driven RPGs, or just turn-based combat in general you'll have a blast with it.

So, Star Trader: Frontiers. What if someone made a Star Trek RPG based on Mount&Blade? That's sorta what this game is. Has some rough edges but is still getting constant updates to add, iterative, and improve upon it. Extremely fun and replayable.

One Way Heroics is a roguelike JRPG, basically, where the whole gimmick is 'the screen is always moving right'. It's a clever and wildly replayable game and has some fun leaderboard stuff too. The Plus expansion adds a bunch of stuff and is worth getting also.

Thea 2: The Shattering is ostensibly a survival 4X RPG. You lead a band of fantasy villagers and either grow into a prosperous people, or die trying. It's got a really cool card conflict system and wild setting (polish-inspired) which makes it a real adventure to play.

All the other games I'd think to mention either aren't on sale, or were mentioned already. (Sorry, Unexplored!)

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017

Set in a ghost town where a murder has been committed, it's up to you to find out who dunnit by studying dairies and documents that you find. No hand holding here. You'll need to take detailed notes on what is what or you won't have a good time. Really enjoyed this one though I had to refer to a walkthrough a few times.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Hand of Fate 2.
Unique (along with it's predecessor) combination of roguelite deck builder, tabletop dungeon crawler and brawler set in fantasy world. You embark on heroic adventures through challenges laid upon you by mysterious Dealer who is looking to use you as an asset in his vengeance. The adventures range from typical fantasy stuff like tracking down stolen relics to more intriguing scenarios like uncovering an assassin within thieves guild and protecting a simple country boy from his undead girlfriend. There's also overarching plot about fighting against an Empire and toppling Kallas who has usurped Dealer's position.
As for the gameplay, you move across the cards laid as dungeon floors which represent encounters, which might be anything from a game of dice or chance to go shopping to combat encounter, done as a 3D brawler that is engaging enough to not feel out of place. As you progress through the challenges you unlock more and more encounter and equipment cards you can add to the Dealer's deck, which shapes challenges to player's favor or disfavor if you're very unfortunate.
It's currently on sale with all DLC's under 10€, which is a steal.

store.steampowered.com

Hand of Fate 2 on Steam

A new hero rises to challenge the Dealer in Hand of Fate 2! Master a living boardgame of infinitely replayable quests - unlock new cards, build your adventure, then defeat your foes in brutal real-time combat! Draw your cards, play your hand and discover your fate!

Conquest of Elysium 4
One of my favorite games of all time (my avatar is the Baron from it). It's always hard to recommend it to people due to it's visual presentation and some ascetic elements since it's quite pricey normally, but when it's on sale for ~5€ I can only sing it's praises. It's a turn based strategy game where you pick one of 21 unique factions (called classes in game) based on history and mythologies to, well, conquer Elysium and crush all factions opposing you. It's not quite just a high fantasy wargame due to all wacky things going around in the world. The neutral monsters roaming the map can be bigger threat to you than your actual enemies and lots of unexpected options and dangers can reveal themselves to both you and your opponents, making every campaign unpredictable - you never know if you triumph over your closest neighbor just for some other AI opponent to fail in containing undead problem in their backyard which then spreads, or if you defeat all of your opponents only to realize that demonic invasion you left unaddressed since it didn't ravage your lands has become the real final boss.
The controls and basic gameplay are simple. Battles are automatically resolved but you get to watch how they play out, only thing under your direct control is deciding which spells your mage units cast. There is no diplomacy or empire building, all of your resources are meant to raise armies and wage war and map control is all about controlling flow of resources and holding onto recruitment locations. Still, the game has insane amount of depth in the game. All factions have their own gimmicks and lots of them are based on summoning powerful units. There are multiple eras you can choose from before the map is generated and they alter the experience. Replay value is huge. Still, as much as I love it, this is definitely not a game for everyone. It doesn't cost much to try right now though.

store.steampowered.com

Conquest of Elysium 4 on Steam

Conquest of Elysium 4 is a quick turn based fantasy strategy game with a touch of rogue-like. The game is full of depth, details and monsters. There are also a huge number of factions, each with its own unique gameplay and magic rituals.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Curse of the Dead Gods on Steam

You seek untold riches, eternal life, divine powers - it leads to this accursed temple, a seemingly-infinite labyrinth of bottomless pits, deadly traps, and monsters.

Eyeballing this. User reviews are saying this is a better Hades. I'll probably be grabbing it today before the sale ends.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a super old game but it's fascinating nonetheless
This is PC-ass universe sim, meaning there is a lot of text, a lot of stats, a lot of numbers and a lot of systems.

Start making your character, what's your race, what are your stats, what is your occupation, what's your starting gear?
Great, what now?
Trading? Pirates annoying you? Hire a fleet of bodyguards. Can't trade on a planet anymore because you were caught selling illegal goods? Change your DNA
Become a pirate yourself. Too much heat on your head? Change your genes, become a different race. Wanna be a really cool pirate? Build your own pirate base. Whoops, the enemy terminators have invaded, taken over the system and blew up your pirate base. Get back at them by taking the system back. Are you gonna use the tech you scrapped from them yourself? Sell it? Donate it to research to aid the intergalactic fight against them? Level up friendly space stations so they have better tech. Blow up unfriendly space stations. Land on a planet, get thrown into prison and start a text adventure that leads to a prison riot. Play bad RTS missions. Collect rare artifacts in black holes. Die, constantly.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon

If you like The Thing, Distrust might be right up your alley.

Crazy first person horror roguelike.

Fun little RPG.

If you liked King of Dragon Pass and want more, this game's for you.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Love these threads, discovered great titles. Sadly not participating in any sales but thanks everyone for posting. Still nice to be aware of games out there.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017

Troubleshooter, an SRPG. Combines the very best parts of XCOM, Fire Emblem, and Tactics Ogre into one of the most innovative SRPGs ever. If you like system-driven RPGs, or just turn-based combat in general you'll have a blast with it.

I've been eyeing that game for awhile.

I never played XCOM, Fire Emblem, or Tactics Ogre but I have heard good things about Troubleshooter.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019

Found this little gem while looking for something like Superflight. I'm currently stuck on one level in particular (shit gets hard.) but....the A E S T H E T I C

Since I brought it up. 104 hours of legitimate playtime...I kind of like it. Can't beat the price either

I find this one hard to describe. It's like Pikmin without the time or resource management and it's a roguelike (I feel like there's gotta be a better description out there...). You have a horde of Greeks that you control to attack or defend as a group, Greek Gods are bosses, named heroes provide bonuses...it's a neat little game and the music is addictive plus it's on the cheap right now.

Similar to Organ Trail but not as faithful to Oregon Trail as that. Zombie apocalypse and Canada is safe yaddah yaddah. Manage fuel, health and hunger, customizable characters with traits, I believe there is multiplayer (local?), NPC encounters that can join your party and help distract the zombies, or you can control them directly. Some of the songs are absolute earworms too. I pick it up from time to time but haven't really gone nuts with it (12 hours total) but it's a fun little distraction

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017

Similar to Organ Trail but not as faithful to Oregon Trail as that. Zombie apocalypse and Canada is safe yaddah yaddah. Manage fuel, health and hunger, customizable characters with traits, I believe there is multiplayer (local?), NPC encounters that can join your party and help distract the zombies, or you can control them directly. Some of the songs are absolute earworms too. I pick it up from time to time but haven't really gone nuts with it (12 hours total) but it's a fun little distraction

Ah yes, Death Road to Canada! I have this game on my Switch so I can vouch for its awesomeness. Good call!

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
Here's a few under 10 dollar games:

store.steampowered.com

Maiden and Spell on Steam

Maiden & Spell is a magical girl battle game, set in a cutesy fantasy world. Select from one of eight young ladies to battle 1 on 1 with a friend, or fight your way through a series of bosses and learn the secrets of The Kingdom of Stars.
store.steampowered.com

Devil Slayer - Raksasi on Steam

Devil Slayer - Raksasi is a top-down action game with procedurally generated dungeons, profound roguelike elements, and intuitive soul-like fighting. It's a fair and challenging game, dodging, timing, striking, you need to master them all to fight your way out of this cursed world.
store.steampowered.com

The Void Rains Upon Her Heart on Steam

Help her heart battle tough bosses in this Boss Rush, Bullet-hell with rogue-like elements. Fight through several randomly chosen boss battles leading up to a final battle. Each defeated monster will give her random gifts that power up her heart. Don't let her heart break!

Oct 27, 2017

• One of the devs discussed the differences between Cloudbuilt & Super Cloudbuilt here (post from December 2018) and here (post from June 2020) and here (another post from June 2020).
  • The big emphasis of [the] June 2020 update of the original game (Cloudbuilt) is clearly accessibility: both Cloudbuilt & Super Cloudbuilt could be a bit overwhelming/demanding.
Impressions from nano, on the June 2020 update of the original game (Cloudbuilt):
The game got my attention initially only due to the music, but I couldn't get into the gameplay. I felt like that it wanted to do everything at once - momentum-based platforming, shooting, parkour, speedrunning, difficulty, highscores - which made it super overwhelming. I reinstalled it [after the June 25, 2020 updates to Cloudbuilt] and the couple of levels I played were much more fun because you aren't punished anymore (except for time/score which I don't care for) for taking your time and incrementally tackling the level.
Finished it, but still have a couple of levels I haven't completed. Definitely more accessible than before, although I had to actively go for the portable checkpoints in the final levels.

5q5sxaF.png

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
My as always pick for these:

An existential real time resource management action/adventure game - the level select will kill you, and so will everything else, except colour. manage it wisely

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Devil Slayer - Raksasi on Steam

Devil Slayer - Raksasi is a top-down action game with procedurally generated dungeons, profound roguelike elements, and intuitive soul-like fighting. It's a fair and challenging game, dodging, timing, striking, you need to master them all to fight your way out of this cursed world.

Hmm, I've seen that game before, how is it?

How long did it take you to beat it?

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017

Got this in the winter sale after liking the demo from the Steam summer sale event.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, I've seen that game before, how is it?

How long did it take you to beat it?
Took me around 7 hours or so for the first clear. So kinda the same as Hades.
Afterwards it unlocks hard mode, some stage/boss mutators and some alternate biomes for 2 biomes so far so there's some insensitive to at least try one more full clear. Or try to hunt for all the different bosses just to beat them all once (there's three different final bosses atm for example).
I think the game is great overall but some attacks feel a bit unfair here and there, and some bosses don't have enough pattern to make them any interesting. The perfect example is the first final boss, he has like 4 attacks and trillion hp leading to an overall meh final battle. Still for it's price this one is a steal i my eyes, it's one of the most content rich roguelite out there and it's still in ea.

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
So the time has come for my ~yearly recommendation of this:

It's a tower defense game. It looks like a mess if you just watch the trailer, but the game eases you into it, and it all makes sense when you get there (plus, the effects can be toned down). Gameplay wise, it's a very competent TD, but I still find the story to be its strongest component. Its the kind of thought-provoking story that haunts you, and years later you randomly catch yourself thinking about it.

As you can see, it goes really cheap on sales, so there's really no reason not to try it if you got a little time on your hands.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
My heart filled with joy after I saw Townscaper has already been recommended in this thread. In case you missed it, here it is again:

Although it's not on discount at the moment, Adventures of Shuggy is an easy-to-pick-up puzzle platformer game with lovely and catchy music.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
My heart filled with joy after I saw Townscaper has already been recommended in this thread. In case you missed it, here it is again:

Although it's not on discount at the moment, Adventures of Shuggy is an easy-to-pick-up puzzle platformer game with lovely and catchy music.

+ 1 recommendation for Townscaper. Truly a wonderful way to relax.

ericksakti

Dec 24, 2020
store.steampowered.com

The Silent Age on Steam

Experience a post-apocalyptic world like never before in The Silent Age, a thrilling point-and-click adventure game. Use time travel to unravel the mystery behind humanity's disappearance and save the world from extinction. Start your journey now!

This!! at 90 percent off its a no brainer

Grath

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's a detective noir visual novel, with awesome English dub and like 3 crappy minigames. I loved the story, as it playfully embraces all the noir cliches. It takes place in a Zootopia-like animal world, but the mood is entirely different. I personally loved the artstyle with the photos-merged-with-animal-heads designs. It's absolutely not a furry/animal-fetishizing game (maybe apart from a 10 second long, very tame minigame).

store.steampowered.com

Chicken Police - Paint it RED! on Steam

A wild tale of love, death, chickens, and redemption! Chicken Police is a buddy-cop noir adventure with a carefully crafted world, a gritty story, and absurd humor. The game mixes classic adventure games with visual novel-style storytelling, presented in a beak-droppingly unique art style.

On the surface it's a cutesy narrative adventure-game (light on actual adventure elements like item usage or dialogue-trees), but the dub is fantastic, the characters are engrossing, and the story turns into something... very different to not to spoil things. It will make you laugh, and then it can make you cry.

store.steampowered.com

Little Misfortune on Steam

Led by her new friend, Mr. Voice, Misfortune ventures into the woods, where mysteries are unraveled and a little bad luck unfolds.

A very strange looking game about a person moving to the north, so they can start a new life, but things will happen. It's filled with strange (and strangely true) stories, tales about awesome people. Trigger Warning: there is a homophobic asshat in the game, clearly the "bad guy" and you will "defeat" them. Again: this game is about something deeper than what you'd guess from the first minutes.

store.steampowered.com

Welcome to Elk on Steam

Welcome to Elk is a biographical adventure set on an island like no other, where every character you encounter has a story to tell. From the weird and wonderful to the dark and desperate, all the tales told on Elk are based on true stories of life on the road less traveled.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
On the surface it's a cutesy narrative adventure-game (light on actual adventure elements like item usage or dialogue-trees), but the dub is fantastic, the characters are engrossing, and the story turns into something... very different to not to spoil things. It will make you laugh, and then it can make you cry.

store.steampowered.com

Little Misfortune on Steam

Led by her new friend, Mr. Voice, Misfortune ventures into the woods, where mysteries are unraveled and a little bad luck unfolds.

This looks very similar in style to Fran Bow. Might have to give it a go.

Edit - same developer. Bought.

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017
Only an hour left in the sale but I wanted to shout out Dunk Lords which is a great NBA Jam homage from the programmer of Spelunky HD: