• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks, but I get it.

Now I can debate with myself whether to delete it and free up the space on my PC for now, or keep holding out for the patch.

I've played a fair bit of Blood & Wine, but I was hoping to finish it under the new patch.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Ouch, must not have liked the outcome

This is absolutely great news. While I'm disappointed that it won't release soon, I would MUCH rather they delay this update, even by a year, if needed, to ensure that this meets their Witcher quality standards. I do not want a rushed ray tracing update. They can't afford to take the hit of this update releasing poorly after Cyberpunk. I also think it's great that they are doing this in house. It should mean that the quality is much higher.

Ex Lion Tamer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually excited to see how this turns out. They built such a beautifully realized, hand-crafted world with the Witcher 3 and it deserves a proper update.

Oct 25, 2017
Is the port team at Sabre all located in Russia? I wonder if that's where Switcher 3 and other Switch stuff came out of, or if the port work is spread around.

Saber Interactive's HQ is in Florida, but has multiple studios worldwide. The Russian studio may have been picked it was the closest to CDPR in Poland with the available manpower needed. Not being several timezones away always helps with business communications.

Oct 27, 2017
Not the first thing I'd do if I had a time machine. But can someone go back in time and tell them that CP would be their downfall and to scrap the idea and just give Ciri her own fucking Witcher game?!?!?!?!?!

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
So basically they have to start all over again on this? That's how I read it.
Very unfortunate for the team, and also the Russian office of Sabre, to no fault of their own, but the circumstance pretty much demand it right now.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
So basically they have to start all over again on this? That's how I read it.
Very unfortunate for the team, and also the Russian office of Sabre, to no fault of their own, but the circumstance pretty much demand it right now.

Surely they didn't lose every scrap of work put into this version? So it's unlikely they have to start fresh. But the simple fact that they outsourced it at all meant that their own plate is busy between Witcher on a whole new engine, while making the cyberpunk expansion so this obviously is on the back burner so why put a date on it at all.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like a responsible decision and I appreciate the transparency as these things usually happen behind closed doors or leak as rumors,

I just started a fresh save using the Ultimate Edition on Series X. It looks pretty great on my LG even without the next-gen features. It's a locked 60 at native or very close to 4k for most of the time as far as I can tell.

The only things I'm missing is better LOD, more modern AA that handles foliage/alpha better, and a more responsive queue system for the controls (playing on Alternate mode). I can live with the semi-real time system as long as it behaves like I expect it to.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I had forgotten that they were doing this, and was thinking about starting a new playthrough since I upgraded my graphics card and got a new monitor a few months ago. Do we have an overview/list of the changes? Will there be significant improvements over a modded up PC version, or is this mostly a console update sort of thing?

upgrade pulled from Russian studio

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
dex3108 Migh want to update the OP

Makes sense it's getting delayed then since taking over such project has to be a huge endeavor.

Doesn't mean Saber was making a terrible job or anything so that's good

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This is absolutely great news. While I'm disappointed that it won't release soon, I would MUCH rather they delay this update, even by a year, if needed, to ensure that this meets their Witcher quality standards. I do not want a rushed ray tracing update. They can't afford to take the hit of this update releasing poorly after Cyberpunk. I also think it's great that they are doing this in house. It should mean that the quality is much higher.
Nowhere did I say it wasn't good news, but it's not good news for them, even in the statement they're clearly gritting their teeth at having to do this themselves

Good on them for not dropping a trash update after the cyberpunk crap, but they offloaded it for a reason and now have to pick up the slack

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Nowhere did I say it wasn't good news, but it's not good news for them, even in the statement they're clearly gritting their teeth at having to do this themselves

Good on them for not dropping a trash update after the cyberpunk crap, but they offloaded it for a reason and now have to pick up the slack

The thought of Witcher 3 with ray tracing sounds incredible. I can wait a few years if it will take that long.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I had forgotten that they were doing this, and was thinking about starting a new playthrough since I upgraded my graphics card and got a new monitor a few months ago. Do we have an overview/list of the changes? Will there be significant improvements over a modded up PC version, or is this mostly a console update sort of thing?
That's the thing, besides them presumably working with some people from the community to incorporate some of the mods in this version (at least Saber was at the time), we basically have no clue what they are doing with it. We don't really even know if the console version will have a 60fps mode or if it'll just be 30fps again.

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
The thought of Witcher 3 with ray tracing sounds incredible. I can wait a few years if it will take that long.
This won't take a few years, they won't work on a patch for multiple years with the slate they have, ESPECIALLY for console level ray tracing, being as limited as it is

Last edited:

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This won't take a few years, they won't work on a patch for multiple years with the slate they have, ESPECIALLY for console level ray tracing, being as limited as it is
I mean... they (Saber) have already been working on it for close to two years now. So if this delay puts the final release sometime in mid to late 2023, then it'll be 3 years between announcement and release for this patch.

Unless you were talking about CDPR themselves going forward, in which case I agree, I think at most they'll work on it for another year.

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... they (Saber) have already been working on it for close to two years now. So if this delay puts the final release sometime in mid to late 2023, then it'll be 3 years between announcement and release for this patch.

Unless you were talking about CDPR themselves going forward, in which case I agree, I think at most they'll work on it for another year.
CPR themselves will not work on this for years, despite the (bad) work Saber clearly had when working on this project yeah

It really reads like theyre dragging their feet having to do this, the job must have been horrible

Oct 27, 2017
That's the thing, besides them presumably working with some people from the community to incorporate some of the mods in this version (at least Saber was at the time), we basically have no clue what they are doing with it. We don't really even know if the console version will have a 60fps mode or if it'll just be 30fps again.

You can already play it at 60 fps on the PS5/XSX. It had that mode added for the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X where it had a dynamic res but usually kept around 1080P.

On the XSX at least, it runs at close to 4k and 60 fps. I imagine that when they finish this update, it'll just make everything optimized for the new consoles and adding some extra prettiness.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Are they possibly porting it to UE5 and using the game as a test bed for TW4 ?

That would explain such extraordinary delays for a remaster.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
CPR themselves will not work on this for years, despite the (bad) work Saber clearly had when working on this project yeah

It really reads like theyre dragging their feet having to do this, the job must have been horrible
I don't think Saber's work was necessarily bad tbh. It sounded like they were (needlessly imo) trying to make this upgrade more substantial than what it needed to be and CDPR will probably continue their work in a similar scope.
You can already play it at 60 fps on the PS5/XSX. It had that mode added for the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X where it had a dynamic res but usually kept around 1080P.

On the XSX at least, it runs at close to 4k and 60 fps. I imagine that when they finish this update, it'll just make everything optimized for the new consoles and adding some extra prettiness.
That's not actually true. The PS4 Pro never got a 60fps patch, so the PS5 version is locked to 30fps.

At any rate, my point was that we don't really have any clue what they are doing with this upgrade. It might be a big overhaul (considering how long it has been in the works) that goes for a higher visual fidelity but at 30fps, or they might tone it in a way that they'd be able to offer a 60fps option as well. We don't know either way.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
I was really looking forward to this but I don't know anymore. I trust Saber more than CDPR. I hope they find another good outsourcing studio. I don't want to find out what their "in house" efforts look like.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
If it is just RT shadows for consoles and the already existing texture MOD, yeah take all the time you need, even eternity, I don't need it.

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have any proof that Saber was doing a bad job on the upgrade?
Only the obvious, why would a studio who offloaded a job take it into their own hands, even the tone of the press release is fairly clear

Especially a studio who has a massive slate like CD project

They couldn't get it done for one reason or another and now CDPR are picking up the slack

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Do we have any proof that Saber was doing a bad job on the upgrade?

I don't think anyone can make a solid confirmation on that. The reasons Saber were pulled from the project is much more likely a geopolitical reason and much less so problematic issues with their actual work on it. Saber is a known quantity when it comes to porting work, alongside companies Virtuos for example.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
And then they released Cyberpunk. I don't have any faith in them anymore. As far as I'm concerned the studio that made The Witcher 3 no longer exists.

The Witcher 3 already is a complete game. The main updates for the next-gen refresh was intended to be mainly Ray Tracing and texture updates with the inclusion of some content from the TV Series. It's not like the core experience won't be intact with upgrade of textures or some armor or weapon piece carried over from the Netflix series. It's still the Witcher 3 with Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine, just a next gen version of such. In fact existing owners of the Completion Edition are / were supposed to get the update for free.

I don't know why folks have this reductive reasoning that comes to the point if a studio releases one problematic game it automatically implies with the caveat the rest of their output can never possibly improve or change as if every future endeavor is permanently tainted, let alone being incapable of improving a game they are already very familiar with to begin with.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why folks have this reductive reasoning that comes to the point if a studio releases one problematic game it automatically implies with the caveat the rest of their output can never possibly improve or change as if every future endeavor is permanently tainted, let being incapable of improving a game they are already very familiar with to begin with.

Everything they do moving forward is permanently tainted now thanks to Cyberpunk, they no longer get the benefit of the doubt from a lot of people, even for something "simpler" like a next gen patch. It is what it is.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Everything they do moving forward is permanently tainted now thanks to Cyberpunk, they no longer get the benefit of the doubt from a lot of people, even for something "simpler" like a next gen patch. It is what it is.
The audience at large (outside of forums) simply doesn't care. Ubisoft released Unity and it didn't have any negative impact on AC series. Bioware released Anthem and Andromeda then remastered Mass Effect LE and it didn't matter. Next Mass Effect will not be tainted. Rocksteady mishandled Arkham Knight on PC and it didn't matter. Cyberpunk 2077 keeps selling on PC and its largely the console crowd they have to win back. The industry forgets and we have too many examples of it.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The audience at large (outside of forums) simply doesn't care. Ubisoft released Unity and it didn't have any negative impact on AC series. Bioware released Anthem and Andromeda then remastered Mass Effect LE and it didn't matter. Next Mass Effect will not be tainted. Rocksteady mishandled Arkham Knight on PC and it didn't matter. Cyberpunk 2077 keeps selling on PC and its largely the console crowd they have to win back. The industry forgets and we have too many examples of it.

I'm specifically talking about the people that do care.

Feb 16, 2022
I believe they said it would be free to current owners.
They never clarified what constitutes for "current owners", though, which is what I've been wondering about.

At this point, people likely have:
Base game
Base game + either expansion
Base game + season pass
GotY edition

I'm worried that only those who have the GotY edition counts as "current owners".

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
They never clarified what constitutes for "current owners", though, which is what I've been wondering about.

At this point, people likely have:
Base game
Base game + either expansion
Base game + season pass
GotY edition

I'm worried that only those who have the GotY edition counts as "current owners".

It's all owners of the PS4, Xbox, and PC version as per initial announcement.

Feb 16, 2022
It's all owners of the PS4, Xbox, and PC version as per initial announcement.

My point is "everyone who already owns the game" doesn't necessarily tell me what counts as "owning the game". Maybe I'm being too much of a worriwart, but I just don't want the rug pulled under me when they later say "only the GotY edition counts".

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
In the bigger picture, they're not that many.

I disagree with this.

CyberPunk was REMOVED from PSN and refunds were offered. The only triple A game that had this happen.

The game has had incredibly negative coverage for months on every conceivable news outlet, forum and youtube+twitch.

The situation with CP2077 has had a very big impact on this CDPR's reputation.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
My point is "everyone who already owns the game" doesn't necessarily tell me what counts as "owning the game". Maybe I'm being too much of a worriwart, but I just don't want the rug pulled under me when they later say "only the GotY edition counts".

They never specified required you needed to own DLC to be entitled to the next-gen update. Not even in the press release in every article that has covered the news for the update from various major gaming publication / news outlets. If it required DLC to claim ownership, as much folks want to be skeptical with every current PR statement from CDPR, I doubt they would have glossed over the fact if such a prerequisite was required.

Issues with Cyberpunk aside. Both Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 also recieved extensive updates of their Enhanced Editions were entirely free to owners of the original game. If anything CDPR has been consistent with is giving free updates to their current games and DLC when they make plans to do so.