• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ozorov

Oct 26, 2017
afaik there is no option to use a wireless headset without a receiver. Even the official pulse 3D uses one.
if a Headset supports Xbox wireless then you can use a headset without a receiver but the same headset won't work with playtsat.

hence why I bought the Arctic 7x that has a receiver with a switch that can be uesed in Xbox or usb mode (for PS5 and switch) but the receiver is always necessary. It is really small though
So 7X is for Xbox, and that's the only difference with the 7? What about 9?

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been using the Gold headset for a while now and have no problem with it, and am planning to keep using it for the PS5.

Fahro

Oct 27, 2017
9x supports the official Xbox wireless mode, doesn't need a receiver but does not work wirelessly with a PlayStation.

the Arctic 7 is an older model with a much bigger receiver and doesn't work with Xbox as far as I know.

Ozorov

Oct 26, 2017
9x supports the official Xbox wireless mode, doesn't need a receiver but does not work wirelessly with a PlayStation.

the Arctic 7 is an older model with a much bigger receiver and doesn't work with Xbox as far as I know.
So I need a "X"-version to make it work with both Xbox and Playstation?

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
Arctis 7X is a new version of the 7 built for xbox that also works on PS, Switch and PC. The 7P is a PS focused one that is the same except no support for Xbox.

The arctis 9 is a PS version of the Arctis 9X which was xbox focused. These only work wirelessly on one of the two consoles (X for Xbox, non X for PS) but also work for switch and PC. Both of these support Bluetooth while in use though so you can use discord from a phone for chat whole getting audio on your xbox.

TLDR: Arctis 9/9x support Bluetooth and either PS/Xbox depending on model.

Arctis 7X supports everything and 7P doesn't support xbox.

Ozorov

Oct 26, 2017
Arctis 7X is a new version of the 7 built for xbox that also works on PS, Switch and PC. The 7P is a PS focused one that is the same except no support for Xbox.

The arctis 9 is a PS version of the Arctis 9X which was xbox focused. These only work wirelessly on one of the two consoles (X for Xbox, non X for PS) but also work for switch and PC. Both of these support Bluetooth while in use though so you can use discord from a phone for chat whole getting audio on your xbox.
Alright, looks like the 7X is the one to get for me then.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
I have a Plantronics RIG 800LX now for Xbox One X. Great stuff, but i'm waiting for the new MS wireless headset. (Still unannounced, coming in 2021)

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
My A50 have the volume knob and buttons broken (luckily at a sound level that is confortable to play), I have pre-ordered the Pulse 3D Headset and I'm sure it will not be as good as the Astros but I hope it's good enough thanks to the new tempest engine and specific sound profiles.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I cant find a headset that takes full advantage of PS5's 3D Audio via Tempest Engine, is compatible with Xbox Series X/S and Switch as well. Arctis 7X is compatible with every console but it doesnt state that it fully supports the next gen PS5 3D audio, so there is that. There are some older headsets from them that support 3D audio and work for Switch and XBox as well, but I dont want older models, I want the best quality possible. Is there some other manufacturer of headsets that would fullfill all my needs?

coughlanio

Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
The Astro A20 Gen. 2 seems like possibly the best cross-platform wireless headset. Will work on both the Xbox Series S|X and PS5 if you buy the additional dongle.

I've started considering the Audeze Penrose personally, but finding it hard to justify the $250-300 for a single system.

coughlanio

Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
I cant find a headset that takes full advantage of PS5's 3D Audio via Tempest Engine, is compatible with Xbox Series X/S and Switch as well. Arctis 7X is compatible with every console but it doesnt state that it fully supports the next gen PS5 3D audio, so there is that. There are some older headsets from them that support 3D audio and work for Switch and XBox as well, but I dont want older models, I want the best quality possible. Is there some other manufacturer of headsets that would fullfill all my needs?

It's my understanding that PS5's 3D Audio will work with any stereo headset that connects over USB or 3.5mm.

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
It's my understanding that PS5's 3D Audio will work with any stereo headset that connects over USB or 3.5mm.
As coughlanio says here it is stated, includong on the Steelseriesblog that all headsets that work via usb will work which means the X is fine. I think this is probably left off so people actually buy the P model.

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
As coughlanio says here it is stated, includong on the Steelseriesblog that all headsets that work via usb will work which means the X is fine. I think this is probably left off so people actually buy the P model.
Yeah if you get the 7X you can use it on PS5 and XSX as the dongle thing has a switch to flip between Xbox codec and normal 2.6 GHz. If you get the 7P, it doesn't have the Xbox codec so wont work on XSX.
Bit shameless if you ask me, but allows them to market two separate headsets.

Ozorov

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah if you get the 7X you can use it on PS5 and XSX as the dongle thing has a switch to flip between Xbox codec and normal 2.6 GHz. If you get the 7P, it doesn't have the Xbox codec so wont work on XSX.
That's so weird. One works with both, and one doesn't hah

coughlanio

Oct 28, 2017
London, UK

I suspect that it's Sony preventing them from having a switch that says "Xbox" on an officially licensed product.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

the 7P fully supports PS5's 3D Audio so there's no reason the 7X wouldn't that I'm aware of

steelseries.com

Which Arctis Headsets are Compatible with Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and PlayStation 5?

We're excited to announce that our Arctis gaming headsets are next-gen compatible with Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and PlayStation 5.

tokenflipguy

May 15, 2018
Sony-MDR-V6-Headphones-01.jpg

I just use these. Wonder if the PS5 will let you use its built-in mic with a headset w/o a mic.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
The 7X are no where to be found. Those who owe it where did you purchase, directly from Steel Series?

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia

I wont buy 200 dollars headset without having 100% confirmation that it fully supports next gen audio on PS5 and Xbox SX as well. When I look at the headset on their page (https://steelseries.com/blog/xbox-series-x-compatible-headsets-249), it doesnt say anything about PS5 3D audio, just that its compatible with PS5. I can buy PS5 compatible headphones and headsets for 20 dollars. It doesnt mean they support 3D audio via tempest engine.

the 7P fully supports PS5's 3D Audio so there's no reason the 7X wouldn't that I'm aware of

steelseries.com

Which Arctis Headsets are Compatible with Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and PlayStation 5?

We're excited to announce that our Arctis gaming headsets are next-gen compatible with Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and PlayStation 5.

yeah, but why doesnt it say so on their website? there is no mention of 3D audio, just the compatibility with PS5.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Was wondering this too. What happens when watching surround sound movies. Will it just be stereo?
Also looking for a headset that does well with movies/TV. I have AirPods that I use for my AppleTV late at night but obviously not the greatest sound there. If I could get decent gaming headset that also performs well for movies, I would be set. Series X specifically.

Deleted member 9857

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wont buy 200 dollars headset without having 100% confirmation that it fully supports next gen audio on PS5 and Xbox SX as well. When I look at the headset on their page (https://steelseries.com/blog/xbox-series-x-compatible-headsets-249), it doesnt say anything about PS5 3D audio, just that its compatible with PS5. I can buy PS5 compatible headphones and headsets for 20 dollars. It doesnt mean they support 3D audio via tempest engine.

yeah, but why doesnt it say so on their website? there is no mention of 3D audio, just the compatibility with PS5.

you do understand that if a headset works with PS5 that it'll be compatible with 3D Audio right? Sony has said this themselves several times

blog.playstation.com

Experience PS5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech with compatible headsets at launch, TV Virtual Surround Sound coming after launch

Experience 3D audio in games like Demon's Souls, Resident Evil Village, Gran Turismo 7, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, and more.

On the PS5, you'll be able to experience 3D Audio with the headphones that many of you already own, either through USB connection to the console, or by plugging your headphones into the DualSense wireless controller's 3.5mm headset jack.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
you do understand that if a headset works with PS5 that it'll be compatible with 3D Audio right? Sony has said this themselves several times

blog.playstation.com

Experience PS5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech with compatible headsets at launch, TV Virtual Surround Sound coming after launch

Experience 3D audio in games like Demon's Souls, Resident Evil Village, Gran Turismo 7, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, and more.

I know about this. I am just confused as to why some headphones state that they support 3d audio on PS5 but some dont state this (just like 7X).

mgrimble2

Aug 21, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I've been thinking about upgrading my headset for next gen consoles and would like something that works with both PS5 and Xbox Series X. Needs to be both wireless and have a microphone. Anything new that fits the bill?

I'm in the same boat and have been looking around for a little bit now. My current front runners are the Arctis 7X. They work with literally all platforms and got a decent review from IGN.

https://www.ign.com/articles/steelseries-arctis-7-review

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Why wouldnt? Its a bonus feature that should be stated somewhere on the product page if it supports that.
I'm going to guarantee on my life, that the license agreement that Microsoft signed with Steelseries, or any peripheral partner, does not allow them to even mention competition. Same goes with Playstation - it's a marketing thing... you just don't acknowledge that on official materials involving the brand.

At best, you'll get generic language on a website that says "Works with next generation consoles"

Deleted member 9857

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
honestly if the 7X works well, I'd consider downgrading from my Pro Wireless to it just to have that native compatibility

but I'd rather SteelSeries to do SOMETHING for us loyal buyers of their top end headset

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I'm going to guarantee on my life, that the license agreement that Microsoft signed with Steelseries, or any peripheral partner, does not allow them to even mention competition. Same goes with Playstation - it's a marketing thing... you just don't acknowledge that on official materials involving the brand.

At best, you'll get generic language on a website that says "Works with next generation consoles"

If thats the case, why does it even states its supporting PS4/PS5 between the first things you even see about said product? It doesnt make sense. Either they dont want to/cant speak about it being compatible with PS5 as well (but they state that at the top of the page anyway) or they do support 3d audio for ps5 but dont mention it for whatevr reasons there is.

I already speak with the support but even after 3 emails, they simplu cant get me a straight answer. What kind of bullshit is that lol. Seems like i ll have to buy headset from another company.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
If thats the case, why does it even states its supporting PS4/PS5 between the first things you even see about said product?

It doesn't though. This is what you see on their product page as the first things you see about the product:

ARCTIS 7XWireless Gaming Headset for Xbox
  • Designed for Xbox Series X|S and also compatible with Xbox One, PC, Android, and Nintendo Switch
  • Lossless 2.4 GHz wireless audio designed for ultra-low latency gaming
  • Discord-certified ClearCast bidirectional microphone
  • Hear stunning detail in all next-gen games with award-winning sound
  • 24-hour battery life outlasts your longest gaming sessions

You have to scroll all the way down to the bottom before you see a mention of it being compatible with a PlayStation console.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a release date for the 7X? Best Buy or Amazon doesnt have it in their system. Its only on Steelseries and its sold out.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
It doesn't though. This is what you see on their product page as the first things you see about the product:

You have to scroll all the way down to the bottom before you see a mention of it being compatible with a PlayStation console.

Look here

steelseries.com

Its right there under 7X. Compatibility with PS5, but no mention of 3D Audio (they mention compatibility with PS5's 3D audio for other headsets so I must imagine that 7X just doesnr support it.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Look here

steelseries.com

Its right there under 7X. Compatibility with PS5, but no mention of 3D Audio (they mention compatibility with PS5's 3D audio for other headsets so I must imagine that 7X just doesnr support it.

That's because that group is divided into Xbox Series S/X and PS5. They're not going to mention the 3D audio in the Xbox Series S/X listing. The way 3D audio works on the PS5 means it's going to work on it and it doesn't need to be supported by the headset. It's just the way it works and was how Sony designed it to be so that you don't need special headphones to have it work. There's nothing special to support.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
That's because that group is divided into Xbox Series S/X and PS5. They're not going to mention the 3D audio in the Xbox Series S/X listing. The way 3D audio works on the PS5 means it's going to work on it and it doesn't need to be supported by the headset. It's just the way it works and was how Sony designed it to be so that you don't need special headphones to have it work. There's nothing special to support.

You seem to ignore the fact that they put up a work with adding the info about supporting 3d audio on PS5 in other products pages (both xbox and ps headsets).

So why put it everywhere but not here? And why cant the guy from support confirm the compatibility to me even after 3 emails?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
You seem to ignore the fact that they put up a work with adding the info about supporting 3d audio on PS5 in other products pages (both xbox and ps headsets).

So why put it everywhere but not here? And why cant the guy from support confirm the compatibility to me even after 3 emails?

You don't seem to understand how this works.

By your logic, the 7P doesn't support it either since it's never mentioned on the product page:

steelseries.com

Arctis 7P Wireless Gaming Headset for PS5

The SteelSeries Arctis 7P wireless gaming headset for PlayStation is designed for PS5 with backwards compatibility for PS4 and has long-lasting 24 hour battery life.

You're grasping at page descriptions without understanding how Tempest 3D audio works. I'd like to hear from your explanation of why it won't work other than it's not mentioned in some text off a product page which the 7p doesn't list at all either.

Dec 13, 2017
I was going to wait until after launch to see what's available, as in, what's the newest, latest, greatest, hottest stuff to hit the streets.
There are a lot of existing models which are 1 or 2 years old which will support the PS5, but I'd rather get something that's new out of the gate.

Have many of these companies started marketing for their brand new fall 2020 devices yet?

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017

By your logic, the 7P doesn't support it either since it's never mentioned on the product page:

steelseries.com

The SteelSeries Arctis 7P wireless gaming headset for PlayStation is designed for PS5 with backwards compatibility for PS4 and has long-lasting 24 hour battery life.

You're grasping at page descriptions without understanding how Tempest 3D audio works. I'd like to hear from your explanation of why it won't work other than it's not mentioned in some text off a product page which the 7p doesn't list at all either.
Just let it be. I gave up

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
That was weird. You're not even paying any taxes on it. For $40 shipping, you pretty much paying for tax+shipping fee.
That was my thinking as well. At first I held off hoping to get it from Amazon or Best Buy Canada, but without taxes I figure I was no worse off than it would be here.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia

steelseries.com

They list in here: https://steelseries.com/blog/playstation-5-ps5-compatible-headsets-382

I just want clear confirmation from them on 7X, since its a headset designed for Xbox, I am just not 100% convinced its gonna take full advantage of 3D audio in PS5. I have no technical wisdom of audio, I just go by product information on their site, which arent complete.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
They list in here: https://steelseries.com/blog/playstation-5-ps5-compatible-headsets-382

I just want clear confirmation from them on 7X, since its a headset designed for Xbox, I am just not 100% convinced its gonna take full advantage of 3D audio in PS5. I have no technical wisdom of audio, I just go by product information on their site, which arent complete.

But they don't list it on the product page is the point. The product page of the 7X also lists PS5 compatibility but it doesn't on that list in your link. All this shows is that their pages are inconsistent and the lack of listing something isn't a confirmation of it not supporting it.

You simply don't understand how this works. The Tempest 3D audio is designed so that you don't need special headphones. It's done to do all the processing so that the audio output works on any headphones. That's the whole point of it. There is nothing in the headphones that is needed in order for Tempest 3D audio to work. If the headset works then by default Tempest 3D works on it. Let's put it another way, how could existing headphones that were developed and designed years ago somehow support this new 3D audio tech if something special is needed for Tempest 3D audio to work? That should tell you there's no special hardware needed to support Tempest 3D audio even if you don't understand how it works which clearly you don't. Use some critical logical thinking here between this and the inconsistency of the webpages you link to and the actual product pages on the site.

Just let it be. I gave up

You're right, I probably should too.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That was my thinking as well. At first I held off hoping to get it from Amazon or Best Buy Canada, but without taxes I figure I was no worse off than it would be here.
Yeah, I know. I thought about buying it at BB but I'm not a fan of the white version. For an extra $15 or so for the black one, I guess I'll just pick this one. I'll check the arctis 1 to see ang difference with 7p.