• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one do you prefer?

• F-Zero

Votes: 543 58.2%
  • Wipeout

Votes: 381 40.8%
  • Other anti-grav racer (post in the comments)

Votes: 9 1.0%

• Total voters

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Wipeout for me, love the whole package and feel it's quite a bit different than the SNES F-Zero, never liked the feel of the track spinning round and N64 version is not really up to Wipeout standards.

To be fair I don't see them as a good comparison and respect F-Zero for what it did back in the 16bit era.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Fzero easily. I've played a few of the Wipeout games and they're just poor imitations.
Did you play the earlier or later Wipeout games? With the PSP games there was a big shift in the games, you could even call them Classic and Modern Wipeout. Classic Wipeout was definitely based on F-Zero even with its differences, modern Wipeout is pretty different.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I got into Wipeout too late, and even then I couldn't get used to the mobility. On the other side, I've known F-Zero since the SNES and I loved every minute I spent running all circuits in GX.

I'm giving Wipeout another try though, as I recently bought the Omega Collection.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I've never like the way Wipeout controlled in any of the entries I've played, so the vote automatically goes to F-Zero for me. F-Zero X in particular I've found to be greatly underlooked in comparison with it's younger brother.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Did you play the earlier or later Wipeout games? With the PSP games there was a big shift in the games, you could even call them Classic and Modern Wipeout. Classic Wipeout was definitely based on F-Zero even with its differences, modern Wipeout is pretty different.
PS1 and PS2 games, so yeah it's been a while. Lol

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The PS2 game, Fusion was the most like F-Zero and it was by far the worst. I don't think the PS1 games were like F-Zero though. Also I wouldn't recommend people go back to the original. However I think that 2097 and Wip3out are still fun games now.

Pure was an amazing launch game, Pulse was ok but then WipEout HD was for me the amazing high point. Everything after that has been pretty much at that level, especially once 2048 got a nerw lease of life in the Omega Collection.

Then you have the VR mode...

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
also, WipEout 2097 probably have the best licensed soundtrack of all time
47410957432_197ae203d6_c.jpg

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
F-Zero. Wipeout always felt too floaty to me tbh (too much sway when turning). I like feeling like my vehicle is gripping the track rather than hovering above it.

That's the exact reason I hate F Zero. It just feels like it's bolted to the track. How is that anti gravity? Wipeout ships float, bob and pitch through turns seamlessly and it feels amazing. It feels like full 3D world movement whereas F zero feels like the NES game that it still is underneath.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
F-Zero GX is the peak of the arcade racing genre. There is nothing that comes even remotely close to it.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised F-Zero's doing this well given it hasn't gotten a new game in going on 3 gens now. Nintendo should change that.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know I'm wrong and exaggerating this but I find Wipeout games really boring and mostly insufferable. I don't like anything about them, specially that floating shit when driving.
And F Zero GX it's one of the greatest games ever. Period.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
The combination of speed and tight control is why I like F-Zero so much. All other futuristic racers I've tried have been more floaty, so I've liked them less.

Oct 30, 2017
Wipeout and Redout feel more like races to me. I love the characters and the Tracks of F-Zero but the rubber banding and just overall cheating takes me back to the days before Gran Tourismo when I would not give any type of racer the time of day.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're pretty different honestly. And I prefer F-Zero, where insane speed is your biggest enemy. Generally not a big fan of weapons in racing games.

Wipeout HD/Fury is pretty awesome though.

AdiGrateles

Dec 6, 2017
Wipeout has a story and lore too. There's brand acquisitions, dead pilots, brands dropping out because they can't compete, rulings that affect the races, etc.
I love how the lore in WipeOut wouldn't look out of place if it happened in Formula One.

The "rulings that affect the races" part reminds me of one of my favourite bits of WipeOut lore; an in-game bug was explained as a team gaining an unfair advantage in the manual, leading to that team getting stripped of its championship win from the previous game. Reminds me of McLaren getting DQ'ed from the F1 constructors' championship after Spygate.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The PS2 game, Fusion was the most like F-Zero and it was by far the worst. I don't think the PS1 games were like F-Zero though. Also I wouldn't recommend people go back to the original. However I think that 2097 and Wip3out are still fun games now.

Pure was an amazing launch game, Pulse was ok but then WipEout HD was for me the amazing high point. Everything after that has been pretty much at that level, especially once 2048 got a nerw lease of life in the Omega Collection.

Then you have the VR mode...
2048 being finally made justice with the Omega Collection is one of the best things to happen this gen. I've always digged the more darker aesthetics of it compared to the colorfulness of HD

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Wipeout is the holy trinity for me: gameplay, style, sound. It has it all in spades. I credit that game in part for aesthetic interests I hold decades later.

I can totally see how I could maybe feel the same way about F-Zero if I grew up with Nintendo consoles, so I don't begrudge F-Zero fans their fandom at all. But for me, there's simply no substitute.

Deleted member 47076

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
F-Zero, particularly GX, makes my adrenaline pump way more and thus I like it better. It requires so much focus and solid reflexes on higher difficulties. Basically ruined other racers for me.

Wipeout is fun but so different... in some ways it's more similar to kart racers. Honestly don't think it and F-Zero are that comparable.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
F-Zero GX is the best futuristic racer. Monkey Ball physics, tight as hell, great music and characters, and serious speed. It needs a rerelease with online or something.

Wipeout is fine, but it's always felt sort of empty to me. Slower and floatier, and I don't care for the weapons.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
F-Zero. I prefer the pure racing of F-Zero, to the more kart racer approach of Wipeout. F-Zero has a lot more character to it as well.

Both good franchises though.

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
Really enjoy both series, but I have to go with FZero, I love the music, characters and the way it feels more than Wipeout. Both series are fantastic, and dammit Nintendo we need a new entry.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never could get into Wipeout as much as F-Zero because of the driving floating physics but it's got an extremely cool aesthetic.

Weston

Oct 29, 2017
I prefer Wipeout because the ships have a better feeling of weight to them. You really have to pick a line, time your air brake just right, and know where you need be when come out of corners. F-zero is super fast and a ton of fun, but the ships just kind of zip around. It's more focused on quick reactions. While Wipeout is more about knowing how your ship handles.

But to be fair GX is the only F-Zero game I spent much time on.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
For me nothing comes close to the relentless sense of speed of F-Zero GX. And then there's the amazing soundtrack, its perfect controls and track design... It's unmatched IMO.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I prefer the tight, precise controls, track memorization, and direct ramming/spinning attacks in F-Zero

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
If they put F-Zero in VR I might give it a second consideration, but until then Wipeout wins free.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Don't really care for WipeOut, not into the weapons and stuff in those games.

I absolutely love F-Zero though! Even if they never make a new entry, GX alone is the perfect racing game to me. I'd love even just an HD port of it.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Extreme-G, anyone?

Nah, F-Zero though. Incredible series. Wipeout always felt too floaty and imprecise to me.

Oct 27, 2017
F-Zero. The speed was the star of the show. Never like the idea of weapons in blazing fast racers like this, It contravenes the premise.