• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Cannot wait for Winnie the Pooh to fucking brutally murder someone and then go "oh bother"

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I was actually debating making a thread on this but it looked a little too trashy. Costume is creepy though.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Looks cheap

They need to commit harder to this for me to really care

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
A real Winnie the Pooh horror movie would be about playing baseball against Christopher Robin and friends

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb enough it'll likely make some people question the benefit of characters entering the public domain, even though that is a good thing.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Surprised it took this long for some kinda horror trash to be announced. Seeing the footage for this makes me think "maybe Disney should be allowed to extend copyright of their stuff forever if it prevents trash like this from being made"

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I mean...it might be good?

But I'm personally tired of the "your classic kids stories... But EDGY!!! MURDER!!!" takes. It's so tired.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
These horror takes on kid properties are without exception always fucking terrible.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Dumb enough it'll likely make some people question the benefit of characters entering the public domain, even though that is a good thing.
I wish I had an appropriate expletive for people who think like that. It infuriates me to no end.

I'd rather have 10 of these cheap derivative movies a year than have disney extend their stupid rights over their characters for another minute.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
winnie-pooh-im-dead.gif

MrMattamus

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
What other movies are there that fit that definition? I genuinely am not aware of many.
There was a recent Banana Splits movie that was a horror take, trying to copy Five Nights at Freddys
letterboxd.com

The Banana Splits Movie (2019)

A boy named Harley and his family attend a taping of The Banana Splits TV show, which is supposed to be a fun-filled birthday for young Harley and business as usual for Rebecca, the producer of the series. But things take an unexpected turn - and the body count quickly rises. Can Harley, his mom...

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
Yeah, after reading about public domain laws, my guess was that anything remotely notable or recognizable entering public domain nowadays would be immediately tweaked into some edgy garbage purposefully made to be completely opposite to whatever tone or theme that the original had.

Let's see what's coming soon to public domain...googling....oh look, the Popeye the Sailor Man comic strip is up in 2023, get ready for a grimdark revenge film where Olive Oyl is murdered by Bluto and Popeye sets out to kill him with a rusty spinach can.

A Horror Reimagine isn't what i expected after IP becomes Public domain.
Knowing how people are, its the only thing Im expecting for anything and everything.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Yeah, after reading about public domain laws, my guess was that anything remotely notable or recognizable entering public domain nowadays would be immediately tweaked into some edgy garbage purposefully made to be completely opposite to whatever tone or theme that the original had.

Let's see what's coming soon to public domain...googling....oh look, the Popeye the Sailor Man comic strip is up in 2023, get ready for a grimdark revenge film where Olive Oyl is murdered by Bluto and Popeye sets out to kill him with a rusty spinach can.

Knowing how people are, its the only thing Im expecting for anything and everything.

All it's going to take is some notable screw ups and a couple of massive lawsuits from someone like Disney and I think most people will leave their IP alone even if it was in the public domain.

You see this already with public domain characters like Thor and Loki, where everyone steers clear of making anything resembling the Marvel versions because they'd get their pants sued off.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Getting some real Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters vibes from this.

Hansel_and_Gretel_Witch_Hunters_.jpg

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.