• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
Just because you have a source doesn't mean you can't verify with someone else before publishing.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Btw, I don't understand the logic of treating those who believed as idiots, it's not as if these rumors had emerged from 4chan lol
Both came from people with a minimum of credibility and we are in the dark about these games, so it makes sense to believe in the possibility that it is true.

Nov 2, 2019
It sure would be cool if Microsoft communicated effectively about their games from the get-go.

It's a catch-22 situation. If you don't respond, you hope the story flames out. If you do respond, you're just giving the story and "insider" more attention so most of the time they shut up and keep on going with their plans.

LewLew

Jul 21, 2020
I have no idea what infinite even is 4 months prior to release. If you didn't want people speculating based on rumors maybe be a bit more forthcoming about the game thats about to release and was slated as a system seller to get hyped over?
its an open world co-op shooter set in the halo universe

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sure would be cool if Microsoft communicated effectively about their games from the get-go.

What did Microsoft not communicate properly about Halo Infinite? There was no indication that the multiplayer would be delayed, and they cleared the rumor within 3-4 hours. And teaser trailers are totally normal in gaming, no developer is expected to reveal all the details when they first announce the title.

Fanboys just really want the missteps of the Xbox One launch again, and so they are desperately trying to invent issues.

Nov 2, 2019
I mean in this case didn't it come from Brad Sams whose covered Microsoft for a long time?

Yes, Brad Sams is a journalist, and in that case, 343i themselves stepped in and said "wait, that's not true."

When it's some anonymous Twitter person or forum dweller, nah. It's not worth feeding them attention. Discrediting them publicly more often than not would likely just made them spew more FUD.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
People sharing baseless rumours and others feeding on them to spread discord is annoying, but more than anything I think the blame lies on the MS and Dev side for keeping so many basic aspects of the revealed games a secret. I get that things can change, but there's some very basic things they could clarify that would at least focus the conversation and set expectations.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was an offhand sentence that he said came from a single source. It was then extrapolated a million times over by Twitter console warriors.
Because people want answers as to what this game even is, because its a system seller 4 months out from launch. Of course people are going to jump at every rumor they get because MS and 343 entirely failed to give us context or information about what we should expect from this game.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

Huh? The only reason we even talk about this stuff is because some rumors flamed up. I don't see what MS did wrong here tbh.

I have no idea what infinite even is 4 months prior to release. If you didn't want people speculating based on rumors maybe be a bit more forthcoming about the game thats about to release and was slated as a system seller to get hyped over?

I am not even into Halo and I know thats an Open World FPS Halo game.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
I think it could be really cool if you could go online with Fable and turn whatever main city exists into a a Destiny style hub where you can see and interact with others. It's been a long time since I've played Fable 2 but I remember having a lot of fun with the co-op, and that would be a nice expansion to what they did back then.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, kind of like the original Guild Wars. When you leave the city you are brought back to your own solo experience unless grouped up with others. That would be really cool!

Oct 27, 2017
They shouldn't need to respond to unfounded rumors. There shouldn't be rumors about this kind of stuff in the first place. They should just clearly communicate what their games are from the start instead of constant vagueness. Especially for a game that is supposed to be releasing in a few months.
this started because a random twitter user said X, then another random era poster said hey they are legit(who know) and then people ran with it because they like drama.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It will probably be a shared world game where you can group with people if you want or ignore them completely. I remember the goofy orbs floating around back in Fable 2. This franchise always had big online aspirations.

Yes, replace those goofy orbs with cars and you literally have what Forza Horizon 4 does for their shared world. It makes too much sense they'd just do the same in Fable as well since it's both something the older games had, and also something Playground is super experienced in.

Nov 2, 2019
Probably some shared world elements for Fable. That's cool with me.

That was my expectation. It's made by the same people who do Forza Horizon. A game that can be played 100% solo and offline, but has cool online co-op or shared world features that you do not have to use. They can use the online part to keep people coming back long after they've finished the solo part of the game with special events/festivals/etc.

Thinking they were going to do a MMO when none of their hiring or background has indicated otherwise was just weird.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
Don't tell me how to live my life!!!!

*holds breath until passes out*

In all seriousness a live service heroes guild and an Albion that is more tailored to the choices the individual player makes would be a versus solid spiritual reboot. OG Fables Heroes Guild always screamed multiplayer potential and player choice was a key tenant, albeit often over promised, component of the series.

If you threw in DLC or expansions that added new areas and stories to Albion along with new quests for players to do with their friends that would be "MMO-lite" and I can't see how it would offend anyone's sensibilities.

Oct 27, 2017
If Fable has traditional single player and extra Destiny like shared world multiplayer, I'm 100% down. Sad that its probably 3+ years away

And that Infinite rumor was so batshit crazy that I could see it somehow being true (because 2020 lol) but I'm happy it probably isn't. Looking forward to Infinite a lot.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
People just want to be pissed off for some reason. Yesterdays reactions were pretty fucking weird here...

OP
OP

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
Because people want answers as to what this game even is, because its a system seller 4 months out from launch. Of course people are going to jump at every rumor they get because MS and 343 entirely failed to give us context or information about what we should expect from this game.
They posted a major Halo Waypoint update and they provided a press kit as well. They also went on social media to deny the rumors. What else can you expect? We're in the middle of a pandemic, and we've seen more of this launch title than any other on any system.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It sure looked like either Open World or big fucking spaces. Either way ... how is people spreading every rumor like crazy somehow MSs fault in messaging? I don't get it.
When youre releasing a major system seller, the biggest game in your franchise, in the next 4 months, and you can't even tell us the basic set up of the game (is it open world, semi open world, or traditional)-and no tease of the biggest hook of the series (multiplayer) people are going to look for sources of information for clarity. Its really not hard to understand why people would cling to any piece of info they get with a major title releasing so soon.

They posted a major Halo Waypoint update and they provided a press kit as well. They also went on social media to deny the rumors. What else can you expect? We're in the middle of a pandemic, and we've seen more of this launch title than any other on any system.
The info dump added so much to the confusion. Like how is it helpful to hear halo is now a 10 year plan with evolving content with no firm decription of what that even means?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I've heard it has some MMO elements, not that it's WoW.

I LOVE the old Fable games, and I'm not worried at all.

Nov 1, 2017
You can read a whole helluva lot into these quotes. (For the record, I've never played Fable and I'm not a Halo fan, so I don't really have a dog in this fight)

For anyone who is concerned about not getting a proper role-playing game (RPG), your fears are unfounded. Multiple sources familiar with the plans for Playground's take on Fable have confirmed to us that it is an action-RPG, one that you can play in single-player. There may be online elements like co-op functionality or limited, optional shared spaces but nothing to the extent that would justify classifying the game as an MMO.

This essentially confirms the game as an Online RPG, they just take issue with the MMO branding.

I also feel like every MMORPG in history has been sold as "one that you can play in single-player" when certain peopled scoffed. The quote in question reminds me a lot of EA's pushing of Anthem, if memory serves.

We've previously reported that the multiplayer for Halo Infinite might be free-to-play, in the same vein as Call of Duty: Warzone being available without buying Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. If so, it's possible that the campaign and multiplayer could use seperate clients but they are intended to ship alongside each other.

They key phrase here is "intended to ship together," which leaves lots of wiggle room for "We want to ensure multiplayer lives up to our high expectations but didn't want to deny players a wonderful single player campaign," or whatever PR speak they choose if they do in fact stagger the releases.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Fable 2 and 3 had MMO elements. Would be shocked if we didn't have some of that especially with what Playground Games has accomplished with Forza Horizon. People really need to relax.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
PcmEjjv.gif

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Co op is always in fable and could be improved... Increases online is not bad at all. Even destiny style raids that you can do with friends would be fine provided there is a good 10+ hour campaign that you can play by yourself that is a story in the mould of the previous fable games

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just looking at where MS seems to be heading.

Where are they heading?

They want people to subscribe to Game Pass. To do that, they need to bring in a variety of games.

Purely MMO/Multiplayer focused RPGs won't bring in people. Purely multiplayer focused games won't bring in people.