• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you vote in the primaries?

• Yes

Votes: 310 83.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 11.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
I vote in every election and I hope Beto is still in the race when my states primary (Florida) comes up!
and I really don't want Biden winning the primary here -- but I believe he will due to our high amount of senior citizens.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I vote anytime there is an opportunity to vote. local, statewide or national.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely no reason not to, especially considering there's more at stake than just the presidential race.

OP
OP
Morrison71

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
Why do you guys need to register and choose a party? Makes no sense.

Why not just show up with your ID and vote?
Iowa is closed I think it's called. You have to register as a republican or Democrat to vote for your party. There are deadlines when you can do this. You just can't show up that day, change your party affiliation and vote. Seems kind of obvious why idk.

OP
OP
Morrison71

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
Iowa is closed I think it's called. You have to register as a republican or Democrat to vote for your party. There are deadlines when you can do this. You just can't show up that day, change your party affiliation and vote. Seems kind of obvious why idk.
. Edit=I do wish voting was that easy however.

Jan 2, 2018
Found the Independent.

I'm not from the US.

Why though? Why should the state know your party affiliation? That's your privacy right?

In regards to voting, let's say you are registered as a citizen in Iowa, the only thing they need to do is send you a voting card and let you vote with your ID and that card in a voting booth.

OP
OP
Morrison71

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not from the US.

Why though? Why should the state know your party affiliation? That's your privacy right?

In regards to voting, let's say you are registered as a citizen in Iowa, the only thing they need to do is send you a voting card and let you vote with your ID and that card in a voting booth.
I can understand why it matters in primaries because parties could easily tamper with the system if it were too easy to switch parties. Like just picture a worst possible scenario, it could happen. We aren't all trustworthy.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe. I'm in a closed primary state but I haven't registered as a Democrat yet for stupid family reasons even though I'm a super-reliable D vote in every general election. If things look close in my state/district or I can't stomach it anymore I might bite the bullet and switch my party registration.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Vote in primaries. Not voting is what leads to the Dems nominating Biden to run in the General Election.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Thanks for this thread OP, I was in a similar position with having no preference on my original registration. Just re-registered to help whip the Democratic party into shape.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I can understand why it matters in primaries because parties could easily tamper with the system if it were too easy to switch parties. Like just picture a worst possible scenario, it could happen. We aren't all trustworthy.
To answer the question in the OP, no, as I don't have a party affiliation.

That said, while I can also see the potential for tampering in the primaries, I do think some good could come of open primaries in all states. Frankly, it'd be nice to see people taking ownership in the direction of both parties, especially if their preferred party's candidate ends up losing the election. I created a thread a long time ago about changing party affiliations in order to participate in the other party's primaries as a means of weeding out some of the more ridiculous candidates, and it didn't go over very well. I understand why people won't feel the need or desire to influence a party that they feel is just lost, but I absolutely hate the idea of people just wanting to hand a victory to someone they previously didn't agree with solely due to party affiliation. Furthermore, it stinks that the "lost" party still essentially always has a 50-50 shot of winning. While the Democratic party is obviously the lesser of two evils, I really wish the system allowed us to have more than two candidates who actually had a shot at winning in the end.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I live in New Hampshire.

It's a combination of civic duty and joy in being "first" with Iowa.

So of course I will.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I grew up and lived in Iowa til about 30, but never voted in the primaries/caucuses. I probably won't this year either. Unless there's a literal Nazi doing ok in the Dem primary, or someone I'm really passionate about, it doesn't seem necessary.

Also... I'm overseas now. I'm not even sure what state I technically live in to be honest. I can vote in the general using my old CA address, so I'll probably do that.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017

The political parties are private entities, and in some states they only want members of the party to decide on the future of the party.

Even in open primaries, you still have to choose one of the parties before getting the ticket, and you're locked into that ticket for run-offs. You shouldn't be able to pick a Democrat president and a Republican governor. That's what the general election is for.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't, registered independent.

Something to consider.

I am a registered independent as well. In my state we are allowed to choose a party at the polling station and momentarily become a registered member of that party, it then switches back after the ballot is complete.

via a state website:

Can I vote in a primary if I am an undeclared voter?
Yes. An undeclared voter may vote in a state primary or a presidential primary. You will be required to choose either a Republican, Democratic or Libertarian ballot when you go to vote.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely, live in NY so Dem primary is the one time my Presidential vote actually matters beyond keeping the state Blue in the general election (which is inevitable for the foreseeable future)

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Yes. Helped Bernie win WI in '16 and will help Warren win it this time. I'm registered independent, but luckily Wisconsin has open primaries.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
As far as remaining registered independent goes, what does that give you the ability to vote for/in that registering as Democrat doesn't? Just the third party primaries?

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. As someone in a solidly blue state and a mainly blue district, primaries are the only time my vote can really have any effect. I registered as a Dem just so I could vote in the primaries.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
but of course. Who I'll vote for at this point is not perfectly clear, but, probably Warren. Maybe Beto if he somehow pulls a miracle and is actually polling.

In AZ, I just drop that shit in the mail box. No effort.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you guys need to register and choose a party? Makes no sense.

Why not just show up with your ID and vote?

Primaries are run by parties and can set their own rules state to state. Many parties don't allow non-party members to vote in their primaries or caucuses.

You do have to register to vote everywhere in the United States to vote in an election, though.

On the other hand, most states not only don't require photo ID to vote, and in about ~30% it's illegal to ask for ID as a requirement to vote. Photo ID is only required in conservative, Republican states (well... and Wisconsin and Michigan because who knows why)

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I believe the state of Florida requires me to be a registered Democrat first.

I'm not comfortable with the idea. Of course I agree on with Democrats with a lot of things, but they don't feel progressive enough for me to throw my hat into the ring for them, especially when it comes to how corporation-friendly they are.

I'll be voting for whoever wins the primary anyways (even Biden), so it's really whatever to me.

Jan 2, 2018
Primaries are run by parties and can set their own rules state to state. Many parties don't allow non-party members to vote in their primaries or caucuses.

You do have to register to vote everywhere in the United States to vote in an election, though.

On the other hand, most states not only don't require photo ID to vote, and in about ~30% it's illegal to ask for ID as a requirement to vote. Photo ID is only required in conservative, Republican states (well... and Wisconsin and Michigan because who knows why)

Thanks! Didn't know that.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Only if bernie is still on there. He is the only one I actually believe a tiny bit as a politician.

My state is near the end. He might not be left by the time we vote. So if it's biden vs warren or whoever I might not vote.

I'm guessing the fix is in for Biden.

Whichever dem is left gets my vote 2020

Last edited:

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Only if bernie is still on there. He is the only one I actually believe a tiny bit as a politician.

My state is near the end. He might not be left by the time we vote. So if it's biden vs warren or whoever I might not vote.

I'm guessing the fix is in for Biden.

Whichever dem is left gets my vote 2020
Don't care about anything local?