• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you buy Google Stadia?

• Yes

• No

• I'll wait for Q4 2020 Next Xbox/PS5 and then i'll decide

Results are only viewable after voting.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I probably will once it hits Japan. Great way to take advantage of my speedy connection. The tech seems solid and I have already been moving away from the console ecosystem and playing more on PC.

This just seems like a great way to avoid having to upgrade my PC in the next few years.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I still just don't get who this platform is for. 120 bucks a year to rent server space in addition to full game prices for someone that
  1. Has a persistent online connection.
  2. Has a fast persistent online connection with no data caps.
  3. Has a controller but no console for some reason.
  4. Owns a 4k HDR TV and is willing to pay full price for games yet doesn't want to pay for a console or PC.
The last one is a little reachy but this really seems like a solution for a problem only the nichest of niche gamers have. Hotel internet while traveling isn't fast enough to support this either. Truly head scratching.

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
Well, you don't really buy a Stadia... :p
But I will get the controller and try out a game or two

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Nope. I like being able to keep playing my single player games when my internet goes down (wich happens way too often for my liking).

I also like looking at my PC and knowing how powerfull it is. Pc Masterrace all that crap. I'm an enthousiast.

Oh, and i REALLY don't like Chrome. Never have.

And to top it off, i've always been weary of streaming stuff. I don't even stream my music. So i don't want to stream my games. Ever.

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd have to try it out first. But even providing that the service works as flawlessly as possible, the price of 4K Stadia for 5 years seems like it'd more or less be line with a next-gen console, if not more expensive. And at least then you get the ability to play offline with no potential for lag.

Then again, that also doesn't account for the price of paid online now for consoles. So perhaps the big three will need to be more competitive on pricing or value in order to not risk Stadia taking a significant chunk of their marketshare.

For the moment, I might try the free version and buy a cheap game or two. But I don't see myself using it beyond a few odd occasions.

Last edited:

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
No. At this point I don't think streaming is at a point where the gameplay will be reliable. I even still see hiccups at times with streaming tv or movies.
Probably game streaming something that will become the standard in the future, but for now I prefer my games to be stored locally for the time being.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what exclusives they are able to wrangle but for now given my dislike of Google for privacy reasons and allowing far right content to fester on their platform as well as being well catered by 4 other platforms, it's a no from me.

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
I voted no, but to be honest I may try it on my pc, just out of curiosity (once it becomes officially available in my country...).

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
What do you do with your downloaded software on a console besides install it and hit the start button?

I don't understand the complaints here regarding having to buy the games, idk to me it just seems convenient to not have to download 100GB of data to fill my hdd and downloading huge patches post-launch... It's all taken care for me at the server-side with Stadia.

Compared to PC gaming it's a bit different though because then you can have full control of your downloaded data and can mod and fix stuff the devs have messed up. But on consoles? You can't do anything with your data anyway, you're essentially just buying a license and a download link. :P
Not when I have to purchase games. I'd never buy software I cannot even download.

You don't have to rely on an internet connection/server once downloaded and you don't have to pay a fee for 4K/HDR etc.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm on Comcast Xfinity with unlimited data cap, and my internet has been down for almost 6 hours tonight for maintenance. If I didn't have my PS4 and I was on Stadia only I'd be completely screwed. I can't even play games on my PC because I didn't get to put Steam in offline mode. Shit like this is the reason I have no faith in a streaming only future. Hell no to Stadia.

Deleted member 20941

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll try a F2P game on the free version, compare the quality and latency to GeForce Now and make my decision after.

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it but I love tech so you never know. I'm much more interested in Microsoft streaming due to me owning so many games in their ecosystem and the fact that I'll own one of their next gen console.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
A platform that expects me to give up my personal information and have access to an insane internet speed that will run probably into the $1000s per month and games I don't own physically? No. Can't wait to see this burn and fail faster than Oyua.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
A platform that expects me to [...] have access to an insane internet speed that will run probably into the $1000s per month and games I don't own physically? No. Can't wait to see this burn and fail faster than Oyua.
You understand this isn't the case for most people intending to use streaming services, right?

Not sure why you actively want to see this "burn and fail".

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
Sure the idea sounds damn cool to me,I won't get every month but I will drop in and out based on new free content

SaitoH

Oct 27, 2017
I assumed it going to be a Netflix like service, where I pay a fee and have access to a library of games. As presented now, it's a hard nope from me.

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
Even if I wanted to, my region is not supported. And given how Google expands their services based on countries, it might not be available until 2021.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
I would like to see them do more public demos and prove this can work other than a 15 minute stream. I mean I give them credit for jumping ahead of E3 when we can see potentially already new consoles or features.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I would like to see them do more public demos and prove this can work other than a 15 minute stream
Gone from "I can't wait to see this burn and fail" to 'I want them to show more, credit to them' in three posts.

Almost impressive. The gleeful hope of failure in some weird view of it 'owning' Google is a flawed one anyway considering their entire methodology is on taking risks and failing fast. It's what's led to their success and ballooning in scope, even if a few people here are still stuck in the "success/fail - good/bad" train of thought.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
With ISPs who say unlimited, you might find out it isn't quite unlimited when you stream games in 4k and start racking up terabytes and will require a higher tier premium.

Edit: also just tried the google stadia page to test my connection but it doesn't work with Firefox, Edge, it just reloads the page when you hit the button and yes cookies are enabled. I guess I need to install chrome just to test.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
With ISPs who say unlimited, you might find out it isn't quite unlimited when you stream games in 4k and start racking up terabytes and will require a higher tier premium.
Estimated at 1TB for about 65 hours of 4K play, for those browsing.
Data caps gonna weep for this one.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018

Edit: also just tried the google stadia page to test my connection but it doesn't work with Firefox, Edge, it just reloads the page when you hit the button and yes cookies are enabled. I guess I need to install chrome just to test.
Never mind the data caps, once 100k people in an urban area start playing 4k content all together they'll soon discover why data caps exists: there's not enough bandwidth for everyone and all ISPs just oversell their actual capacity.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If Stadia Pro was akin to Xbox Game Pass (at least for older content), then I would've welcomed it. Based on Stadia Connect, they have a lot more to do to justify its product.

CaptainDreads

Nov 7, 2017
Personally, no.
I have just picked up a brand new gaming PC and I have steam backlog long enough to keep me entertained for the next 50 years if needed!

I might however, pick one up for my little sister for an affordable intro to gaming

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
This is an easy "No" from me. I have zero interest in a streaming future, specially one from Google

toastybanana

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. If they start making games that take advantage of the server based thing and do stuff beyond what's on console and PC today, I'd give it a go at least.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Anyone here play around with Onlive when it was a thing? It was pretty damned cool and the only thing holding it back was the game output and the input lag. If Google can get over those hurdles, this will be sitting pretty unless MS and Sony have better services.