• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you buy Google Stadia?

• Yes

• No

• I'll wait for Q4 2020 Next Xbox/PS5 and then i'll decide

Results are only viewable after voting.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
You have to do a subscription and buy games on top of that and not he able to play games offline? Sounds like a joke.

Perhaps I would try it out of curiosity sometimes, but Google will probably bury Stadia before this happens.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
You have to do a subscription and buy games on top of that and not he able to play games offline? Sounds like a joke.

Perhaps I would try it out of curiosity sometimes, but Google will probably bury Stadia before this happens.
There are two options they are offering, with Base available next year. Games bought you keep for lifetime of Stadia being up. The detriment being always online needed to play the game since it's streaming

Stadia Pro, $9.99/mo, 4K/60fps support, 5.1 surround, HDR, Selected game discounts, free games (beginning with Destiny 2: The Collection)

Stadia Base, Free, 1080p/60fps support, stereo

senj

Nov 6, 2017
you don't have to pay $10 a month, that's optional, I suppose if you want 4K you have to pay the extra, but I think most people are fine with 1080P60
if you buy the game from them, you can play it on their services without paying subs or buying anything else, the controller and whatever are all optional.
Right but the question is "Will you (me, the person answering the question for myself) buy Google Stadia?" and since I have a 4K TV and would want to play in 4K I'm looking at buying a game I don't own at full cost + $10 a month and saying "nah fam". I don't really give a shit that some people can do 1080p60 for just the cost of the game if that's their thing; it has nothing to do with my answer.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not planning on it with how most of the games will already be on the platforms I own and won't be more easily played without worrying about hiccups in my internet connection.

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Doesn't work in Japan at launch. Maybe I'll check it out once it launches. It would actually be cool to do my gaming on Stadia so I wouldn't have to bring a console back and forth from Japan to America when I travel.

Vince-DiCola

Banned
May 22, 2019
Culloden
I'm considering it. I like the idea of being able to play any of my D2 characters without dragging my X1 around the country.
I hope the controller feels good to use, it looks pretty good.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
I'm not confident in Google supporting new services long term if they're not a runaway hit, and I think that Stadia is going to struggle with adoption because of how many people have begun to share similar concerns.

They've got plenty of time to prove me wrong (or right).

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
No I have terrible internet.

DtvEFWs.png

Last edited:

Orwell

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
No. It's a purposeless vanity project from Google. They have money to burn and decided to throw their hat into the gaming industry for the hell of it. I also don't want to give money to the company that owns Youtube.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
It's not available in my country, so obviously no. And the seeming lack of 144+ framerates would also be a deal breaker anyway.

If I wanted to do streaming (which I don't), Nvidia's solution is the only one that felt sort of viable so far.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
I was fully on board when I thought all the games would be included in the subscription package(very naive of me) when I learned that you have to BUY games that you're STREAMING, I was fully out.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I'll admit that Gylt sure looked good. I'd love to use a free trial or something to play that. But as of this moment, absolutely not interested in the service. I am intrigued by it, but xCloud is likely to be superior in every way.

OP
OP
klik

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I was fully on board when I thought all the games would be included in the subscription package(very naive of me) when I learned that you have to BUY games that you're STREAMING, I was fully out.
Yeah i thought all games will be included in subscription package,i would even pay 20$ a month for that.

If Microsoft gamepass offer subscription without buying any game then it's game over for google.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Absolutely not. I'll wait for the free version to test if it even works well on my end. They can claim its great all they want but until they test it themselves at my house there's no telling. Speed tests are one thing, the real deal is another. I need to feel Samurai Showdown on this service.

Last edited:

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
It's not a bad proposition from Google, but I'm just too involved in Microsoft's ecosystem at this point to just jump ship. Although I won't make a final decision on this right now. We'll see what the next Xbox turns out to be, if it's very off putting. I've learned things can change, so to speak.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I have zero interest in streaming gameplay at present, so no. Also, I will never "buy" a game that I can only stream.

If xCloud will let me stream Xbox games I already own and can play locally, and at no cost, then I might try it when I'm away from home and need a quick fix. But streaming will never replace local gameplay for me.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'll try the monthly thing for my PC sure

I'll just get a Chromecast Ultra if I want it so bad on the TV though, those are everywhere

Nov 8, 2017
I decided to preorder. I'm weak. I doubt it will be my main gaming setup. I wish it was available on something other than a pixel device. I really don't want to buy a new phone to play on the go.

Oct 2, 2018
Just not that into you Stadia. Whatever. I'll stick to my 4K gaming on PS5.

The data requirements = probably not going to work properly here.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
I'll definitely try a month of Pro, and if it works as promised, might hop on here and there.

Oct 26, 2017
I do not want to stream my video games. I want to experience them in their best possible quality, and I can't do that through streaming.

The Stadia is not for me, so I will not buy it.

Nov 28, 2017
Well, the choice has already been made for me by Google by not supporting my country.
This is probably the main reason why streaming is not the future - too many markets excluded from the program.

But, even if I were to have it available, it would still be a hard pass. The pricing structure is way too confusing and all over the place, especially with purchases of new games. So basically I now have a $120 per year subscription instead of $60 for PS+, and I still need to buy games and those games are streaming only instead of available locally on my machine.
Sure, I do save a bit upfront on skipping on purchasing a console, but I still need to have proprietary hardware, so...
And I don't get to have PS exclusives.

Anyways, I've read about this service today, posted here, and now I can forget about it existing.

Jimbojim

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I'll have to see what exclusive games end up being on that platform eventually. At the moment, no.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
My country is not on the list so even if i wanted i wouldn't be able to.

However, i am actually very excited for all game streaming both from a viewpoint of technology and as a gamer.

I might buy a game or two on Stadia Basic just to test it out how it works.

If MS provides crossplay for their XCloud -- it would be even better, since i already have a Xbox library there.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
As a console owner I don't really see the point of Stadia at all. I play games 99% at home, so streaming offers nothing but disadvantage to me, as I would lose access to my gaming library when internet is down.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Not a chance; but I have too many games and the idea of streaming games will always be the least desired way to try out a game.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Absolutely not. Even if I didn't have a data cap to worry about, paying a monthly fee for the privilege of buying copies of games that I can only play through a streaming service that will consume huge quantities of bandwidth, coupled with Google's abysmal track-record of long-term support for new services/initiatives? No chance.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who owns consoles, I don't see the point of investing in Stadia. I'm not gonna play Doom Eternal on my iPad. I want to play console quality games on a TV or a dedicated portable device.

Amazing tech, but I don't know who the main target is. Consumers not willing to buy a console are going to scoff at $60 game prices.

Voken

Oct 27, 2017
Might try it out but won't buy games on the platform unless its a huge success (like near monopoly Steam level success.) Google has killed too many projects to make me trust them.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Not feeling you here. If I'm done with my console I sell it including al my physical bought games. That's not a privelige you have with Google. And Steam games are probably a lot cheaper then what they cost on Stadia. There will most likely only be one store to purchase from. So no keys and stuff.
If you buy digital, you can't resell your games on any platform. If you sell your console, you'll sell it for a much lower price than new, so money is still lost.
With Stadia Basic, you lose nothing, it's free. Stadia Pro will probably cost more in the long run.
Not saying Stadia is better or cheaper in all scenarios, but in some, there is not much argument against it, at least for buying a game or two.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
If you buy digital, you can't resell your games on any platform. If you sell your console, you'll sell it for a much lower price than new, so money is still lost.
With Stadia Basic, you lose nothing, it's free. Stadia Pro will probably cost more in the long run.
Not saying Stadia is better or cheaper in all scenarios, but in some, there is not much argument against it, at least for buying a game or two.

At least I can choose to buy digital or physical. If I know I'm not gonna play a game anymore after finishing it, I go physical so I can resell it. I also have a lot more trust in the fact that Sony's and Microsoft's (especially Microsoft's, because Azure) servers will keep running. If Stadia fails (which I expect), what's stopping Google from pulling the plug?

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Yes. I want to at least try it and it's cheap. Excited if it will have PC games because I was saving up to buy a new one but if I can just get this and have great graphics on my Chrome Browser without having to shell out $1k, sign me up!

The poll on a hardcore gaming site will mean nothing. If it works as advertised, it will be huge.