• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
So I'm not in the know here, what did Marvel do to sour MvC Infinite?

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I'm hoping that it does.

Both companies need to learn from their mistakes and make MVC4 properly - 3v3 with assists, plenty of fan service, large roster and stages, good controls and...just being an overall frantic and fun fighting game!

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So I'm not in the know here, what did Marvel do to sour MvC Infinite?
They dictated...
  • The art style
  • The Marvel side of the roster (especially with the X-Men/F4 ban)
  • The themes for the Marvel characters
...& probably other stuff we don't know about. That's not to say that Capcom is free of blame, but Marvel didn't help matters.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Poisoned waters. There's a reason we're seeing SNK crossovers with everyone except Capcom. I'd be surprised if SNK ever deals with them again. I also don't have much faith in Capcom coming close to quality of CvS2.
Itsuno is still there

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Marvel Games at the time of Infinite's development =/= Marvel Games of today. I think there'll be another one. 3v3 with assists and I'm there day one.

Last edited:

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Anyone else been watching old UMvC3 tournaments lately? Fuck, I don't know any other fighting game that is that fun to watch (Morrigan/Doom being the exception).

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
nwppo9jm6a131.png

Also there are plenty of other 90's arcade games they could have used for this Captain Marvel shot.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Fox ban ended a few years ago. Plus the MCU encompasses most of Marvel at this point.
Marvel still dictate the characters, if they don't want Cyclops for example, we won't get him. And because Marvel decide their side, Capcom may not use certain characters of theirs who are too similar.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
The Fox ban ended a few years ago. Plus the MCU encompasses most of Marvel at this point.

This. There are certainly non-MCU picks (MUA3 notably had Crystal and Elsa Bloodstone) but at this point the MCU covers a huge chunk of Marvel and is only increasing further.

When people shit on Infinite being MCU-centric what they're really mad at is it doing so at the X-Men's expense. And no, you don't have to make a quarter of the roster mutants to fix that.

Hello Marvel lets talk.

WVXO.gif

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This. There are certainly non-MCU picks (MUA3 notably had Crystal and Elsa Bloodstone) but at this point the MCU covers a huge chunk of Marvel and is only increasing further.

When people shit on Infinite being MCU-centric what they're really mad at is it doing so at the X-Men's expense. And no, you don't have to make a quarter of the roster mutants to fix that.

WVXO.gif

Cutting out the slew of Mutant characters should have been an excuse to deep dive into Marvel lore.

Or at least put Kamala Khan in the game like jfc

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Cutting out the slew of Mutant characters should have been an excuse to deep dive into Marvel lore.

Or at least put Kamala Khan in the game like jfc

Nova was probably the deepest dive we got in MvC:I. I don't think Marvel were particularly interested in deep dives of their backlog of characters.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think it will. Pure gut feeling of course with no real evidence to back it up but I think we haven't seen the last of MVC.

I do however think it's a much preferable idea if Capcom did Capcom All Stars. It would solve so many issues this franchise has had.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nah I'd rather have Capcom vs Capcom/SNK/DC.

Don't trust Marvel after the last game.

Denzos

Jun 27, 2018
I'm saying yes, there's going to be another one not because i want one.
It's cause i need another.

Other fighting games just doesn't scratch that itch the same way MvC does.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Hope not, screw Marvel, Capcom has enough characters to stand on their own and then some. Bring on "Capcom VS" "Capcom Slugfest" or whatever, Fighter Jam if you must.

Capcom would have the creative freedom to do what they want. No infinity stone or whatever MCU is shooting for next.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how good tvc was I think itd be nice if the vs series went into some other license vs capcom for all the new movesets it could result in.
I'd love more mvc. Dont get me wrong. But I'd honestly be pretty excited for capcom. To either do a capcom vs capcom (old classic era vs modern era ) title or to do a vs game with some new license more.
Especially given how much I'd love see asw get marvel so that we didnt have to use 20 year old visions of what spiderman and other should play like. Too much damned legacy movesets that need dumped for something else in mvc these days. Mvci felt so damned old at launch with that much retreated ground. It had a shitload of much bigger issues but this was honestly something you noticed quick...youd already played most of their shit to death already and wished there was more changed.

Let asw do an entirely new marvel game. New movesets and mechanics and all that. Let capcom either do a new license for vs or a capcom (old era) vs CAPCOM(new era) title instead.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

And the MCU is gonna include the X-Men & F4 soon, with the F4 being as soon as Phase 5. Hell, we already have rumors of Doctor Doom being the villain of Black Panther 2.

Nova was probably the deepest dive we got in MvC:I. I don't think Marvel were particularly interested in deep dives of their backlog of characters.
Ultimately, I still feel like Marvel Entertainment still aren't that interested in deep-dives. But funny enough, Marvel Studios is doing most of the deep-diving themselves (see Eternals). And since Koei Tecmo had the freedom to choose for MUA3, perhaps Capcom may be afforded the same opportunity if they try again for a hypothetical MvC4.

Hope not, screw Marvel, Capcom has enough characters to stand on their own and then some. Bring on "Capcom VS" "Capcom Slugfest" or whatever, Fighter Jam if you must.

Capcom would have the creative freedom to do what they want. No infinity stone or whatever MCU is shooting for next.
On paper, Capcom going it alone with their characters & no corporate meddling would be a slam dunk idea. The problem is that, as I've said many times, it'd be a hard sell for people besides us. Street Fighter is a strong brand. Resident Evil is a strong brand. Monster Hunter is a strong brand. Mega Man is a strong brand. Devil May Cry is a strong brand. Capcom is not a strong brand, not in the way that Nintendo or even Sony are. Capcom definitely has the backlog of characters, but many of them have become niche. In a way, they kinda need a strong partner to team up with, be it Marvel or someone else. Otherwise, it'll probably only sell around 1.4 million tops. It'll definitely get us excited, but not the average joe. If Capcom goes this route, my suggestions would be to either...
  • Name the game "Street Fighter vs. Capcom" or something along those lines.
  • Make Capcom All-Stars a budget release similar to Killer Instinct & keep adding content to it as time goes on.
The former idea would lean on the strength of one of the individual brands, while the latter would lower the success threshold for the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
They dictated...
  • The art style
  • The Marvel side of the roster (especially with the X-Men/F4 ban)
  • The themes for the Marvel characters
...& probably other stuff we don't know about. That's not to say that Capcom is free of blame, but Marvel didn't help matters.

You forget the biggest detriment of them all. Licensing costs and revenue sharing. So Capcom makes less per unit sold compared to other games. (Marvel isn't doing this shit for free).

That's why I just want a Capcom Fighting World type game.

With Hideaki Itsuno on the helm.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am for whatever gets Squirrel Girl into the next game.

But that's not happening ever, so Capcom Fighting All-Stars.

ZeroCDR

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
wow i am actually surprised that ive not seen this, though to me it implies curleh mustache umvc3 might come back as an attempt to revitalize

I can see it both ways, maybe it's just a curleh hint.. but the true answer to the question posed, the only thing that can bring Marvel back to the scene is a new Marvel.

Tribal24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Everyone from MvC3 Onwards is Here" would actually be more plausible.

They can reuse assets and just add new characters
And the MCU is gonna include the X-Men & F4 soon, with the F4 being as soon as Phase 5. Hell, we already have rumors of Doctor Doom being the villain of Black Panther 2.

Ultimately, I still feel like Marvel Entertainment still aren't that interested in deep-dives. But funny enough, Marvel Studios is doing most of the deep-diving themselves (see Eternals). And since Koei Tecmo had the freedom to choose for MUA3, perhaps Capcom may be afforded the same opportunity if they try again for a hypothetical MvC4.

On paper, Capcom going it alone with their characters & no corporate meddling would be a slam dunk idea. The problem is that, as I've said many times, it'd be a hard sell for people besides us. Street Fighter is a strong brand. Resident Evil is a strong brand. Monster Hunter is a strong brand. Mega Man is a strong brand. Devil May Cry is a strong brand. Capcom is not a strong brand, not in the way that Nintendo or even Sony are. Capcom definitely has the backlog of characters, but many of them have become niche. In a way, they kinda need a strong partner to team up with, be it Marvel or someone else. Otherwise, it'll probably only sell around 1.4 million tops. It'll definitely get us excited, but not the average joe. If Capcom goes this route, my suggestions would be to either...
  • Name the game "Street Fighter vs. Capcom" or something along those lines.
  • Make Capcom All-Stars a budget release similar to Killer Instinct & keep adding content to it as time goes on.
The former idea would lean on the strength of one of the individual brands, while the latter would lower the success threshold for the game.

Yeah Neoxon that's how i always saw if they did a capcom all-stars it just wouldn't be strong , that's why i always say this should be the last thing Capcom does pretty much if they're on the verge of not existing is when they pull it out and even then the expectations are going to be so high. The latter would be the way to go but people wouldn't like it.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Everyone is saying Capcom Vs. Capcom game. (would be possible for the next vs game by capcom)

I here saying an All Marvel Fighting game done by another studio like ArcSys if not by capcom. It will be a good refresh after MVCI blew it.

It can have a similar premise with secret wars or battleworld and be the excuse for heroes fighting against each other as an injustice would.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It all depends on if Capcom judges Infinite was executed poorly or if the low sales are synonym of public disintetest. The latter would be unfortunate because the mess up is 100% their fault.
Mockery over gaffes and criticisms plagued Infinite's pre-release hype campaign, there's no way Capcom didn't take notice of that. When long-time fans are piling on poor feedback, then something was poorly executed, for sure. It's quite possible Capcom knew very well was was wrong, but their hands were tied because Marvel.

On top of that, FighterZ completely stealing Infinite's hype was a thing that happened - Dragon Ball games are dime a dozen, but FighterZ being hyped like crazy was for a reason (3v3 gameplay, absolutely slick presentation, etc). Sure, Capcom probably were never expecting ArkSys and Bamco to completely steal their thunder around the same time, but considering Marvel is such a massive property these days, it's hard to ignore the explanation that FighterZ simply looked like a better-quality game on all counts.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
I say let marvel find someone else to develop a fighting game with their characters. Capcom has loads of characters of their own to make versus game.