• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK

I can't disagree with you, here. As a wannabe filmmaker running around with a handicam in the early 2000's, this was precisely the look I spend all kinds of time and effort trying to avoid. Back then it had to be done in post with plugins. All this time later, as an old fart that works in video production professionally, it's...still a look I want to avoid. The only time I want anything shot HFR is for slow-mo/hero shots. Everything else is 24 or 30p. Nothing higher. I don't want it. Clients don't want it. Basically, almost nobody in the industry really wants this.

I think the best application for HFR would be live sports. Would love to see NFL/NBA/NHL, etc. go to a 120fps live feed.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I can't disagree with you, here. As a wannabe filmmaker running around with a handicam in the early 2000's, this was precisely the look I spend all kinds of time and effort trying to avoid. Back then it had to be done in post with plugins. All this time later, as an old fart that works in video production professionally, it's...still a look I want to avoid. The only time I want anything shot HFR is for slow-mo/hero shots. Everything else is 24 or 30p. Nothing higher. I don't want it. Clients don't want it. Basically, almost nobody in the industry really wants this.

I think the best application for HFR would be live sports. Would love to see NFL/NBA/NHL, etc. go to a 120fps live feed.
Yep. I remember upgrading from a Sony Pd-150 to a Panasonic DVX-100 in that same timeframe. It was such a game changer because we could finally do 24fps video in the prosumer space for indie projects. People wanting to go to 60fps like it is some new thing have no idea what they are talking about.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Yep. I remember upgrading from a Sony Pd-150 to a Panasonic DVX-100 in that same timeframe. It was such a game changer because we could finally do 24fps video in the prosumer space for indie projects. People wanting to go to 60fps like it is some new thing have no idea what they are talking about.

I'll never forget when I first saw one of my contemporaries with a DVX back when they came out...

giphy.gif

Didn't help that he was an insanely talented shooter who has (deservedly) gone on to much bigger and better things. Everything he shot with that camera came out the other end looking like 16mm film. Everything I shot still looked like a crappy home video...

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I really feel like a big problem with it is that most of the films that use it have a lot of moving and panning shots that can come across as relentisly sickly and unnerving in hfr. The Battle in five armies use of cgi was also uglier in hfr to me as it came across as clearly more fake than usual compared to the actual actors.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
It sadly makes movies look cheap. And 'television' like.

I saw all the HFR films at the cinema and as a thing it was interesting. But a lot of improvement is needed.

I'd like to see a found footage or cloverfield style movie shot in HFR at least the movie being supposedly shot on a video camera would make sense.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I hate HFR's execution in The Hobbit and Gemini Man, but it does have a future if the creators who use it adapt to get the most out of the process. At the core, it's about realism. You have to rethink lighting, set design, acting, pacing, editing, camera movement, sound design, etc. All these roles and more have to be more natural, more authentic, so they don't fall apart in HFR.

This is the best answer in the thread.

HFR - thus far - has looked poor because no one has used the advantages of HFR well.

HFR unlocks all kinds of amazing potential - but you have to completely scrap everything and all the "old ways of doing things," all the way down to, as mentioned, the camera movements.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I really feel like a big problem with it is that most of the films that use it have a lot of moving and panning shots that can come across as relentisly sickly and unnerving in hfr. The Battle in five armies use of cgi was also uglier in hfr to me as it came across as clearly more fake than usual compared to the actual actors.
The difference between 24/30 fps and 48/60 fps is purely psychological. When you're watching something at 24/30 the frame rate is smooth enough (under most circumstances) not to be choppy and distracting, but is also low enough to be perceived as looking at a picture. Once you get to 48/60 your brain starts perceiving what it's looking at as real, and then it starts picking up on all the little things that are wrong and shouldn't be, and that's also why it starts to look like actors on a set rather than some disconnected fantasy, and the suspension of disbelief that comes with that. That's why that Gemini Man clip comes across as "Will Smith crouching in the grass" rather than "a sniper setting up his shot".

OP
OP
wafflebrain

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
About the type of responses I expected lol. I do appreciate the more informative posts like the one from cakefoo , it helps me understand the blind spots I have wrt the subject. I do agree it does not work well for everything, I don't think I'd ever want to watch something as deliberate and painterly as a Lynch directed piece in hfr. His thematic focus on dreamy is exactly suited for 24 fps, though as much of a camera tech nerd he is I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to experiment with it. I mean looking at the jarring transition to Inland Empire's early digital blown out lighting was such a massive departure from the deep rich tones of earlier 35 mm stuff he did. Admittedly that's apples and oranges when IE was still standard 24 fps but I think it still shows a willingness to experiment with different tools within the medium. He probably hates hfr for film though :P

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
On the contrary, I try to disable smooth motion on new tvs. Makes it look like a live interview or documentary.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It sucks that streaming platforms like Netflix have the capability but just don't use it. Don't make original high fps content, okay fine, but let me watch the hobbit how it was meant to be

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
just enable motion plus or whatever and hope to dear god that Tom Cruise won't find out

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
Everything in this post is a lie. The Hobbit in HFR with 3D IMax was the most amazing movie going experience of my life.

It was. But there were certainly times it should have been dialed down for specific shots where it made set and models look like... sets and models.

Cameron is our only hope in the near future for a resurrection.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
never got to see gemini man in 120fps, but 60fps and in 3d was pretty cool though. it'll triple rendering times, but computer animated films are the only time I like to use motion smoothing since the soap opera effect doenst really apply there.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
The Hobbit kind of convinced me that the information loss from 24fps is pretty critical for your brain being able to suspend disbelief. That movie has some of the best costuming and set work in the business, but as soon as you put it in HFR your eyes see how artificial it all is. CGI action benefits, but actual stunt work suffers as your brain gets enough data to easily tell a stage fall from a real one, or that that punch didn't actually land at full force. No actor is good enough to sell a close up performance in HFR. It's super realistic, like being all the set, and has all the emotional resonance of just watching a day's work on the set instead of watching the actual movie.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't think The Hobbit looked bad per se but holy moly did it make me nauseous. I kept having to take breaks out in the hall to get away from it.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
24fps looks dreadful on modern sets with instant pixel response, like OLEDs. Panning shots look like screen-tearing, which wouldn't be an issue if the output was at a higher refresh rate.

There are no technical shortcomings to overcome. It's just a conservative industry being conservative, and it's hurting the output.
Yup.

Or with 4K content, period.

It starts to become incredibly obvious when you have 4K level of detail, and then the slightest amount of motion occurs, and the resolution drops horrendously due to the frame rate (not the panel).

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I'm with you OP, but it seems there are very few of us. I'm glad that Ang Lee gave us Billy Lynn and Gemini Man. The Hobbits 48 fps was the least of it's problems.
I also with you and OP.

People only hate high refresh rate film because they've been conditioned with 24-30 fps content for nearly a century.

Film and television are out here using techniques like motion bur and shutter speed manipulation to hid the FLAWS that are inherent to low FPS films.

It interesting that even streamers and YouTube content creators are more quick to present their content in 60 fps than the "old guard."

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
One of the other things that I've literally thought about for a decade now, though, is why jump to 48FPS/60FPS+?

Even just having movies jump to 30FPS would substantially improve the motion resolution while minimally reducing the "cinematic feel".

I honestly feel like it could be a great compromise for the OLED/4K problem.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
Another vote for HFR here. I hope one day 24 fps becomes an "artistic choice" for specific retro intentions, just like black & white, mute cinema or 4:3 is today.

Accustomed to HFR content on good home TV sets, when I go to the movie theaters, 24 fps stands out in a very bad way to me. And it did that specially for 3D movies when that was a thing.

I refuse to believe there can't be great movies with great cinematography like typical demo videos like this one:

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I wish. I saw Gemini Man at 120hz and it almost looked real. Which made some of the unnecessary gymnastics look hilarious but it also made the firefights and chase scenes more intense. The action probably wasn't even particularly great for the genre but at 120hz you might as well have been there.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I refuse to believe there can't be great movies with great cinematography like typical demo videos like this one:

Well, I think HFR pairs extremely well with footage like this. Most of it is similar to nature or travel docs/shows, where little suspension of disbelief is required and you're not (consciously or unconsciously) questioning what's real, what's fake, etc.

I think the dancers looked great and the woman ~2:05 looks so good I almost didn't believe she was real. But many movies/shows aren't vehicles for great cinematography and you're way more likely to have a shot of two people talking in a room than a wide angle shot of an exotic location.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Another vote for HFR here. I hope one day 24 fps becomes an "artistic choice" for specific retro intentions, just like black & white, mute cinema or 4:3 is today.

Accustomed to HFR content on good home TV sets, when I go to the movie theaters, 24 fps stands out in a very bad way to me. And it did that specially for 3D movies when that was a thing.

Even this type of thing looks way better at 24:

Dec 2, 2020
People don't like it because they're not used to it. We've all been used to TV shows / movies at 24hz our entire lifetime.

CGI / CGI heavy movies are best using motion smoothing if you're not used to it and want to try it out.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
It looks terrible, and I haven't heard a single convincing argument for why it should be adopted. What problem are you trying to solve?

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
People don't like it because they're not used to it. We've all been used to TV shows / movies at 24hz our entire lifetime.

CGI / CGI heavy movies are best using motion smoothing if you're not used to it and want to try it out.
This is just simply not true. We have had HFR content our entire lives on the local news, soap operas, etc. Do you really want movies to look like that?

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
Again though, Cameron isn't doing HFR for the Avatar sequels. That has been confirmed.
Is James Cameron considering HFR for the upcoming Avatar movies?

Last I read, he was using it for certain shots. This interview seems to indicate that's still the plan.

I have a personal philosophy around high frame rate, which is that it is a specific solution to specific problems having to do with 3D. And when you get the strobing and the jutter of certain shots that pan or certain lateral movement across frame, it's distracting in 3D. And to me, it's just a solution for those shots. I don't think it's a format. That's just me personally. I know Ang doesn't see it that way. I don't think it's like the next 70 millimeter or the next big thing. I think it's a tool to be used to solve problems in 3D projection. And I'll be using it sparingly throughout the Avatar films, but they won't be in high frame rate. But I am curious to see what they came up with. Have you guys seen it? And you saw a high frame rate screening? Yes. Actually, underwater stuff in particular really stood out. Well, this is the thing. To me, the more mundane the subject, two people talking in the kitchen, the worse it works, because you feel like you're in a set of a kitchen with actors in makeup. That's how real it is, you know? But I think when you've got extraordinary subjects that are being shot for real, or even through CG, that hyper-reality actually works in your favor. So to me, it's a wand that you wave in certain moments and use when you need it. It's an authoring tool."

As I mentioned concerning The Hobbit, it's all situational. For certain shots it works. For others, it breaks the suspension of belief.

Last edited:

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I think VR film is our best shot at HFR because 24fps would be a barf bonanza. But I don't think that's an actual thing yet.

Dec 2, 2020
This is just simply not true. We have had HFR content our entire lives on the local news, soap operas, etc. Do you really want movies to look like that?

I'm sure you know this but 24fps was decided on only because it was way cheaper at the time. If this was not the case and everything had always been shot at 60fps then you showed someone 24fps content nowadays they'd be horrified.