• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Demon's Souls take the crown?

• For sure!

Votes: 741 46.5%
  • It might be top 5.

Votes: 496 31.1%
  • No way.

Votes: 358 22.4%

• Total voters

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of Souls but why it matters?

RE2 is a remake and won many GOTY awards last year.
I mean I think a brand new game is just more appealing and worthy of being considered a GOAT launch game. As in, I think its more of a bad thing if a remake is considered Sony's best launch title.

RE2 Remake as much as I love it, winning tons of GOTYs actually did rub me the wrong way. But the way the game is played and some of the level design was changed a lot right? DeS looks like the same game just with a massive graphics overhaul, no?

Aug 10, 2019
Of that list, in my opinion yes. It's both objectively the best and the most important game on that list. But it's a remake so it's not as important in the grand scheme of things. The true importance of this game as a launch title is that it allows us to experience a legendary game that a lot of people missed out on.

Stalwart

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
A remake isn't going to be the best. And no since I find DS extremely boring, I would take rayman,killzone,resistance among others over it any day.

LeBigMac

Oct 26, 2017
SSX, Tekken Tag and Timesplitters was a pretty nice launch line up for PS2.

But yeah, DS will probably top the list

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Spider Man MM will easily outsell it if that's the metric we're using for "best launch title".
SMMM is a launch title, right?

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
As awesome as Demon's Souls will be it ain't no Armored Core 2. A new From game (Especially an Armored Core game imo) is better than a remake of an old From game

OP
OP
Dragon Puncher
Oct 28, 2017
How is the OP forgetting Lumines Electronic Symphony for the Vita?! And Wipeout 2048!

I decided to limit myself to 5 games on each system to not make the OP too long. It was hard, but in the end I cut both because of how similar they are to original Lumines and Wipeout Pure, two games that were generally more popular and reviewed better (and on the PSP list).

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the original as much as Ridge Racer, Tekken Tag Tournament and some other stuff from prior consoles, so I doubt it.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
It's kinda cheating as a remake, but yeah, totally. I'm playing the original now and unless BluePoint monumentally fucks up (which is unlikely) it should be great.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i mean

the original demon's souls is already the GOAT

it stands to reason that a launch game remake of the GOAT will be the GOAT remake and GOAT launch game

simple logic really

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
Yes, but it's by virtue of being a remake of one of the greatest games ever made, so it's kinda cheating lol.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Almost certainly, but that speaks more to how meh Sony's launch games have been.

The major standouts in previous gens were Resogun, Motorstorm and... uh.... that's kinda it .

Jan 19, 2020
Bellingham
As excited as I am for DeS I don't think it'll be a Mario 64 moment; the jump from Super Mario World to Mario 64 was insane and I honestly don't think we'll see a jump like that again.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If its anywhere near as good as the other Souls games I've played, than yeah probably. The fact that its a remake doesn't matter to me personally since I've never played the original.

Don't know why Mario 64 had to be brought up though.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
All the "bu-bu-but I played it already!" muppets forget one important thing.
I never played it so it's a completely new game to me, so it definitely counts!
And on that note the answer is a resounding yes!

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
It's a remake so not sure how we should count it really. For me personal - I never played the original, so really looking forward to it.

OP
OP
Dragon Puncher
Oct 28, 2017
Your reasoning is sound, but it hurts, because they are both amazing titles which are much improved over their PSP counterparts.

Well, you're free to pick them as your favorite :) I just couldn't include everything. I have a friend who would for sure pick Full Auto 2: Battlelines for the PS3, but I know he's in the minority there.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Pretty depressing if a remake is the best launch game ever

Bluepoint are a great studio but they're a cover band playing someone elses hits

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I'm much more excited for Miles Morales.

Tbh, I don't think Demon's Souls looks that hot anyway. Yeah it's pretty, but it plays like a PS3 game.

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but that's kind of cheating.

Might as well say Bloodborne is the best launch game because it's on that PS Plus Collection thing.

I'm much more excited for Miles Morales.

Tbh, I don't think Demon's Souls looks that hot anyway. Yeah it's pretty, but it plays like a PS3 game.
Well, you're not wrong, but I'm having trouble seeing how Spider-Man plays wildly different from PS3 titles. It looks much better, obviously, but the gameplay seems pretty standard stuff, no? At least Demon's Souls created its own style and we need to reference the original to say that it plays like a PS3 game, Spider-Man plays like other games from the PS3 era, which is arguably worse.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I think so. It looks to be a graphical/performance showcase for a new gen. The game itself is known to be very high quality, and additionally, it has a lot of meat to it, so it's not going to just be a great experience for 10-15 hours and then put on the shelf for a while. (nothing wrong with games of that length, but I think there's something to say about getting a launch title that stays around for a while like Breath of the Wild or even Halo CE with the campaign + multiplayer that keep people playing it the whole gen)

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Spider-man was my GOTY, so Miles Morales has some major pedigree behind it....but I love souls to bits.
Whatever one is better, PS5 owners win.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation never had good launch lineups, so the bar isn't that high. I agree, DS will be the best.