• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020
That doesn't really make sense of the visual dimorphism. A character could be a "dancer" and have any kind of visual silhouette they desired. It's a much more exposed view than the knight sub-theme implies of the character.
i think the explanation was that she was an actor and was mostly just pretending most of the time in the games. up until she disgues herself again and it sort of falls apart.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
i think the explanation was that she was an actor and was mostly just pretending most of the time in the games. up until she disgues herself again and it sort of falls apart.
Hrm... kinda hand wave-y. I know Fem Byleth wasn't a thing at the time of WKC but it gives off that vibe way too strongly.

Alright, yeah, that's up there with vaginabones :D

"Too masculine" aka "too much like a human being."

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Okay but why is it named after a story about pedophilia then?

Because pop culture osmosis is often imperfect and focuses on aspects that seem to completely miss the point. In this case, the name of the fashion seems to come from the 1962 movie adaptation by Kubrick, which according to Wikipedia jettisoned most of the objectionable content from the novel due to censorship: Lolita is aged up to teen years, the relationship is consensual, Lolita is depicted as sexually aggressive rather than miserable, the sex is mostly omitted and at most alluded to, and Lolita leaves him at the end instead of being abducted and pretty much enslaved. One has to wonder what the fuck is even the point of making an adaptation like that, a concern that Kubrick seemed to share, but then again The Shining has little to do with the book and jettisons most of its themes too, so it doesn't seem like "faithful adaptations" were ever high on Kubrick's priorities list.

It's not hard to pressume that back during the 70s, when the style was born, Kubrick's was by far the most widespread version of the story in the Japanese public's mind, if not straight up the only one at all (the novel would probably not have been translated and released there, for obvious reasons). According to Wikipedia, women adhering to lolita fashion are often grossed out of their minds when they learn the origin of the name. It's incredibly unfortunate, as the movement itself seems to have been pretty empowering for women, especially during Japan's probably very repressive 1970s. :/

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Hrm... kinda hand wave-y. I know Fem Byleth wasn't a thing at the time of WKC but it gives off that vibe way too strongly.

"Too masculine" aka "too much like a human being."
I think the other issue is that its going for traditional sentai tropes and she being your traditional green ranger type character. So I think its at fault of the genre too. This is the same genre with waifu rangers.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I recently discovered this gem. I think it's up there.

(I forgot to add that her skin looks bad like she's not fertile.)

..........Slightly off topic but, at some point, this bizarre casual sense of dominion a lot of men seem to feel regarding women and their bodies and their health business needs to really be surgically dissected and dealt with.

Not just the obvious stuff. I've seen less blatant examples of it in various discussions from seemingly more progressive minded guys.

It's disconcerting.

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Nothing says "dressing to withstand the desert heat" like wearing three layers of dark, thick clothes and a corset. I very much doubt that's the reason she's baring her bellybutton.
sex appeal aka (keep playing the video game). As much as I love this game it does have alot of flaws and the woman are hmm.
like Yulie
a6e689c1fb8d83dd6ab487b157006eb3.jpg

at least she got a knight... oh...
bb5e472c81df63be021b3fa4c99c303d.jpg

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
The whole 'skin tone' thing is so weird
That entire GameFAQs post is just some of the creepiest stuff I've ever read. It's only made worse by the fact that it's just WAY too clear he's not criticizing the art nearly so much as saying, "this isn't my fetish, I want it to be my fetish." No presumption. Just creep.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
"healthy fertile skin glow" is one of the most serial killer-sounding things I've ever seen

Village

Oct 25, 2017

I think Nu Jill just looks too masculine.compared to Julia - Resident Evil 3

For Resident Evil 3 on the PlayStation 4, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "I think Nu Jill just looks too masculine.compared to Julia".
Fertile skin glow is some off the wall shit. I can also see that being used in rather racist connotations. Aside from the thought of the woman needing to fit your erection perimeters being a dumb way to gauge character design , extremely misogynist and insulting to the model and the character designers , why are you gauging character design on fertility at all

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017

For Resident Evil 3 on the PlayStation 4, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "I think Nu Jill just looks too masculine.compared to Julia".
Jesus. My first message boards were GameFAQs and reading through the replies, the place feels so overtly incel-y now. Like, there's pushback and disdain but the ones that are out there are so shameless. Rose tinted glasses trying to assure me it wasn't that extreme in the past.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

There were people on this very forum (and old gaf) that said this exact same thing about reboot lara.

What they did to Jill is absolutely despicable. Horrific and callous, even.
giphy.webp

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
And then there is Saskia from Witcher 2, which combines cool and sexy.. and to a lesser extend some practicality
latest

Yeah, her cleavege isn't helping her in any way in a battle, but on the other hand can help her to win some "hearts" between the simple folk in (Upper) Aedirn and in the end, she is in fact a literal
dragon, so her armor and whole human form is just a window dressing
Nah there's no defending that cleavage. It's insultingly stupid.

Deleted because off topic.
I wish you hadn't, it was actually interesting!

Also, esserius regarding mobility in armour:

"healthy fertile skin glow" is one of the most serial killer-sounding things I've ever seen
Reminds me of:
BN-JX461_buffal_M_20150819081920.jpg

Why are you so callous!

esserius

Oct 26, 2017

I wish you hadn't, it was actually interesting!

Also, esserius regarding mobility in armour:

Thanks for the video. Really interesting. I do think it drives the point home of how heavy plate armor is and how easy it is to knock a person down in armor (was pretty funny seeing the guy try to jog off screen and the one where he tried to roll). Makes sense why they were primarily used in mounted combat. Though it also drives home how tough plate armor is and how there were only a handful of effective ways to actually stop them in their tracks.
Agreed.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I said this before and I will say it again: The new Jill is a really beautiful lady. Those idiots make me wonder if they go out or not cause the new Jill is attractive just like her model.

Hearing people talking about the hairstyle also makes me wonder what kind of crazy drugs they are smoking. It is literally the same hairstyle she had in 3. It is so similiar infact that the hair parting is the same side as the original (unlike REmake 1's RE3 outfit).
re3_jill_valentine_reactions.jpg

(Note that this is Jill's reflection from a mirror)

Only thing different is that REmake 3 Jill's hair looks more messy due to rain and the hair air drying which is a nice touch

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
It really is a testament to how much gamers have become frogs in the boiling sexualization waters that despite studios using an actual gorgeous model as the base of characters in the face-scanning era they're like "yeah, she's okay-looking I guess" and who she actually is doesn't matter.

She's supposed to be a competent person in a ludicrous crisis, FFS.

From when The Evil Within launched:
www.theguardian.com

Shinji Mikami: the godfather of horror games

With his new title, Evil Within, heading for release, we talk to the creator of the Resident Evil series about terror, technique and the problem with female characters. By Keith Stuart
Women, horror and video games

Aside from gothic architecture, lumbering monsters, sparse resources and jump shock, Mikami's games have always been known for something else: strong female characters. The likes of Jill Valentine and Claire Redfield fought alongside their male counterparts in the Resident Evil games, dressed in similar combat fatigues, rarely succumbing to the usual overtly sexualised stereotypes.

It's something Mikami is clearly passionate about. "I don't know if I've put more emphasis on women characters, but when I do introduce them, it is never as objects," he says. "In some games, they will be peripheral characters with ridiculous breast physics. I avoid that sort of obvious eroticism. I also don't like female characters who are submissive to male characters, or to the situation they're in. I won't portray women in that way. I write women characters who discover their independence as the game progresses, or who already know they are independent but have that tested against a series of challenges."

I think he's done with this, but as I'm about to ask another question, he interrupts. "If I had to name the woman character I most disliked in my games it would be Rebecca Chambers," he says. "She's submissive, she's not independent. I didn't want to include her but the staff wanted that kind of character in the game, for whatever reason. I'm sure it made sense to them. And in Japan, that character is pretty popular." He shrugs despondently.

Oct 27, 2017
It really is a testament to how much gamers have become frogs in the boiling sexualization waters that despite studios using an actual gorgeous model as the base of characters in the face-scanning era they're like "yeah, she's okay-looking I guess" and who she actually is doesn't matter.

www.theguardian.com

With his new title, Evil Within, heading for release, we talk to the creator of the Resident Evil series about terror, technique and the problem with female characters. By Keith Stuart
I always wondered what the deal was with Rebecca. Once again the suits ruin everything.

It gets worse when Rebecca should have been changed in the remake to fit 0. It really makes me wonder why they never did change her personality cause I doubt they didn't know they were making 0 when they made REmake.

Rebecca in 0 goes against so much dangerous shit and even fights a god damn Tyrant solo only to then cower from a Hunter in REmake 1.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
I think what most of these people want is outside of the realm of the natural variation of bodies, even the most desired and conventionally attractive ones.
They want anime figures and sex dolls. A J-cup apparently filled with helium and absolutely no sagginess, together with a waist small enough to wrap one's hands around. Preferably combined with a face which is both childlike and laden with lip fillers.
Oh and they have to be a virgin. And submissive.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017

www.theguardian.com

Oh, this is good shit. I always hated Rebecca even back in the day haha, before I even "knew" about feminist critique and all that.

Also Shinji Mikami is a feminazi SJW confirmed! I bet that'll make some idiots' heads explode hahah.

Thanks for that link!

May 13, 2019
What if they are like me, a person for whom characters modeled after real life people always fall into the Uncanny Valley?

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
What if they are like me, a person for whom characters modeled after real life people always fall into the Uncanny Valley?
Since I don't really know the original models I don't have this problem here, but I remember having that issue for Alien Isolation and seeing pics/clips of Sigourney Weaver. The model wasn't badly done or anything, but there's just something... off.... that I don't get on entirely original models hah.

May 13, 2019
Since I don't really know the original models I don't have this problem here, but I remember having that issue for Alien Isolation and seeing pics/clips of Sigourney Weaver. The model wasn't badly done or anything, but there's just something... off.... that I don't get on entirely original models hah.
To me, sometimes the photo realistic playable characters from modern RE games are as frightening as the hideous aberrations they usually encounter.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Oh, this is good shit. I always hated Rebecca even back in the day haha, before I even "knew" about feminist critique and all that.

Also Shinji Mikami is a feminazi SJW confirmed! I bet that'll make some idiots' heads explode hahah.

Thanks for that link!

BTW the actress who played her in the FMV sequences in re1 has been finally found. Now only Jill remains.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like fans of the traditional, non-creepy, lolita definition are in the same boat as people who liked the name Adolf or toothbrush mustaches before they were irrevocably ruined by association. You're just gonna have to take the L on this one.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

I refuse to believe someone wrote this with a straight face. It's just not possible.

"I forgot to add that her skin looks bad like she's not fertile."

Jesus Christ.

www.theguardian.com

Seeing Evil Within mentioned - Kidman with her ridiculous highheels and her white blouse that gets wet, showing her black bra underneath...
To me, sometimes the photo realistic playable characters from modern RE games are as frightening as the hideous aberrations they usually encounter.
The DMC5 characters vary greatly from scene to scene for me. Especially in motion they tend to look off. And I fail to find Trish attractive at all. (but calling her ugly would be a bit much as well.)
Even if a model is the base, it is not 100% the same. And of course, everyone has different taste.
(Those overreacting idiotic trash comments stay trash, tho. Fertile skin, lmao. <.<)

May 13, 2019
The DMC5 characters vary greatly from scene to scene for me. Especially in motion they tend to look off. And I fail to find Trish attractive at all. (but calling her ugly would be a bit much as well.)
Even if a model is the base, it is not 100% the same. And of course, everyone has different taste.
(Those overreacting idiotic trash comments stay trash, tho. Fertile skin, lmao. <.<)
I also think thre's something off about most human characters in DMC5 but I must admit it's just me preferring the stylized designs of previous entries over photorealistics ones.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Seeing Evil Within mentioned - Kidman with her ridiculous highheels and her white blouse that gets wet, showing her black bra underneath...

Trish is very much a 40-year old Biker chick. Her face and hair is surprisingly authenticating looking.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ariana Diamant wasn't a bad choice for Trish's model. She's got a very distinct look that I think helps make Trish stand out. I only wish they'd use this concept art from DMC1 as a basis for Trish's design in later games:

dmc-trish1.jpg

I'm also partial to this design concept for Kat in DmC:

Maybe it wouldn't work for Trish, but I think it's an idea that warrants revisiting.

Trish's outfit in 5 is somehow worse than in 4, even though her concept art looks exactly the same as her DMC4 design, which is a shame because everyone else's designs were improved across the board:

Last edited:
I also think thre's something off about most human characters in DMC5 but I must admit it's just me preferring the stylized designs of previous entries over photorealistics ones.
That's another thing, absolutely. It took quite some time for them to grow on me, and I'm still not too fond of some decisions, especially colorwise.
Trish's outfit in 5 is somehow worse than in 4, even though her concept art looks exactly the same as her DMC4 design, which is a shame because everyone else's designs were improved across the board:
Trish is kinda a lost cause for me since DMC1. XD

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Problem with Trish's outfit is... if you are going to make a sexualized outfit at least make it look cool. For instance I'll admit I think 2B looks cool. But Trish's outfit just looks hideous in every possible regard. Like it's annoying both that the game is trying sexual pandering, and on a lower level it's also annoying that the game thinks I'm supposed to be attracted to that fashion. :P

Problem with Trish's outfit is... if you are going to make a sexualized outfit at least make it look cool. For instance I'll admit I think 2B looks cool. But Trish's outfit just looks hideous in every possible regard. Like it's annoying both that the game is trying sexual pandering, and on a lower level it's also annoying that the game thinks I'm supposed to be attracted to that fashion. :P
And let's not go down the rabbit hole about her looking like Dante's mom on top...

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I said this before and I will say it again: The new Jill is a really beautiful lady. Those idiots make me wonder if they go out or not cause the new Jill is attractive just like her model.

Hearing people talking about the hairstyle also makes me wonder what kind of crazy drugs they are smoking. It is literally the same hairstyle she had in 3. It is so similiar infact that the hair parting is the same side as the original (unlike REmake 1's RE3 outfit).

Only thing different is that REmake 3 Jill's hair looks more messy due to rain and the hair air drying which is a nice touch

I'm constantly baffled by people who don't find modern versions of old characters more attractive. Lara Croft, Tifa, Jill, etc, they look like actual humans now, which one would hope equals more attractive in people's eyes. Or maybe they're just attracted to people with absurd body proportions and nonsense attire?

Status
Not open for further replies.