• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
1. port begging
2. call of duty mobile exists and has a much larger install base on platforms that have much better online features.

MikeH

Dec 3, 2018
Well, the new games are demanding (and need a lot of storage) so I guess Activision considers they're not worth porting.

On the other hand, X360/PS3 CoD games would sell decently well on the Switch and are probably easier to port.

I think they'll just port CoD mobile in the future tho.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's simple. Activision doesn't think the money they'll make off of a port is worth the cost of getting the game running at acceptable levels. Either that, or there's some storage (these games are well over 100gb at this point) issue.

Nintendo fans are the only fans that genuinely think publishers are out to get Nintendo and purposefully keep games from their systems as part of some grudge. That's insane.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wii U really poisoned the well for Switch in a lot of respects and coming out mid-gen I think a lot of companies just set their feet in the sand on a position and refused to come off it because the combined PS4/XB/PC base was large enough by mid-cycle that there's not as much motivation to want to go outside that bubble.

Switch 2 I think will have an easier time of it.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
A lot changed acrosss Activision since then.
Back then, there were dedicated "Nintendo teams" for the DS (n-Space), Wii and Wii U (a separate a Treyarch team).

n-Space no longer exists and the Treyarch team was merged with the rest to support the other versions.

That leaves Beenox, a team at Vicarious Visions and Toys for Bob with "Nintendo teams" which all have been busy with Crash and Spyro games
since Switch launched.

In the end, it's about money: Sony paid and even git a tram to make Black Ops on Vita. Plus with Activision supporting the Switch since launch; Nintendo seems fine with it. No Call of Duty, but Crash, Spyro, Skylanders, Overwatch and Diablo.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's clear that publishers don't see the Switch as a viable platform for their games due to the lack of power. Not worth the time and cost.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Activision probably just doesn't think they can make enough money off the Switch audience to justify the costs. It's not supernatural.

You are saying that the best selling video game every year in NA/EU can't make money releasing on the best selling dedicated gaming hardware in those areas right now?

I don't agree with this at all, but i think they no more care about the small amount of money (in their eyes) that they can make off of one game or two, probably they think they are bigger than that right now, they want a steady stream of income, and overall the platform and its limitations don't seem to be a good fit to where the franchise is heading.

They had the same vision with the Vita too, Sony then ported a CoD game itself, if i'm not mistaken, to the Vita, and it was a million seller, but it probably didn't do as big as those party hoped.

Nintendo don't want to pay for the port, I'm only speculating here, but i think they are the ones who are funding those shooters from Bethesda, they choose Doom to bo the main shooter for Switch instead of Call of Duty for many reasons, maybe they think it is a better fit for their platform (it has a beloved campagin, and it is not an annual franchise).

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
You are saying that the best selling video game every year in NA/EU can't make money releasing on the best selling dedicated gaming hardware in those areas right now?

I don't agree with this at all, but i think they no more care about the small amount of money (in their eyes) that they can make off of one game or two, probably they think they are bigger than that right now, they want a steady stream of income, and overall the platform and its limitations don't seem to be a good fit to where the franchise is heading.

They had the same vision with the Vita too, Sony then ported a CoD game itself, if i'm not mistaken, to the Vita, and it was a million seller, but it probably didn't do as big as those party hoped.

Nintendo don't want to pay for the port, I'm only speculating here, but i think they are the ones who are funding those shooters from Bethesda, they choose Doom to bo the main shooter for Switch instead of Call of Duty for many reasons, maybe they think it is a better fit for their platform (it has a beloved campagin, and it is not an annual franchise).

What you are saying is basically what I said, distilled down to the root. It's ultimately down to $$$, and Activision doesn't see it as worth their while. Same with Rockstar and GTA.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo fans are the only fans that genuinely think publishers are out to get Nintendo and purposefully keep games from their systems as part of some grudge. That's insane.

resident evil 7 VR isn't on PC yet. clearly capcom hates the fuck out of PC

dragons dogma, DMC, and monhun are on PC but it's a trojan horse. they want to get in from the front door and sabotage it

*snorts line of coke, peeks through the window blinds

Oct 28, 2017
Same reason you cant get NHL or Madden on Switch. The market potential doesnt outweigh the resources needed. Without these prominent franchises, Switch continues to fail at enticing me as a platform. I was Nintendo loyal during the Wii and Wii U era. It was dark times.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
There are additional issues as to why Call of Duty Mobile or something variable not on Switch is baffling. For starters, Tencent, who have a history with Nintendo, was involved in the development of the mobile game. Second of all, Call of Duty Mobile uses the Unity engine, so it should port very easily to Switch. They could easily enhance graphics and controls and beef up the content and sell the game as a physical retail game. I almost feel like if this doesn't happen in 2020 then this was lost opportunity.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trustworthy insiders told us two things last year: first, early in the year then reiterated later on, that a Call of Duty game was definitely coming to Switch that year; second, later in the year, that a bunch of big third-party games for Switch were delayed indefinitely or outright canceled due to the 64 GB cards not being available when they were supposed to/memory being incredibly expensive.

Put 2 and 2 together and it's easy to imagine Call of Duty was one of the casualties.

Call of Duty Mobile, though, I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
The money is in battle royal and Activision is too focused on keeping their 3 franchises alive to worry about porting them all.

Syranth

Oct 28, 2017
I thought it was a fairly well known thing that EA doesn't like Nintendo consoles. Maybe not? Count how many EA games are on the switch. Not even the new Plants vs. Zombies game is on it (which seems like the perfect platform!) They are seriously missing out on some cash.

EA doesn't really seem to like easy money anymore.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are there any Switch multiplayer games that make it easy to party up and playing with friends? I've only really played Splatoon 2 as far as multiplayer games on Switch and it was such a pain in the ass to okay with friends that I ended up just dropping the game entirely. Party management has always been really easy in CoD but if they had to go through some app nonsense like Splatoon then I could see why they wouldn't bother with it.

slsk

Oct 27, 2017
The Switch actually has better asset decompression capabilities than the PS4 or XB1. Cheaper 64GB carts should be enough.

That said, I actually think that install sizes will come back down a bit next gen as SSDs become standard.
In order to reduce load times from a spinning-rust install or from a disc, game content is duplicated so that the data can be read sequentially instead of having to seek for segments in many random places. Switch carts and SSDs don't have a large random access penalty so the need to do this goes away.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because cost opportunity, it will undoubtedly bring in the money but too much hassle on their end. That's why Fifa is relegated to legacy only on Switch, it sells but so much less than other platforms. Don't expect western AAA on Switch more so when next gen drops

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I have been a CoD fan since 2003 and this isn´t the way due to immense size, the specs (WW2 and MW are technical marvels on the PC) and the bad online infrastructure on the Switch. Not every franchise is a good fit for the Switch and another shit spin-off won´t serve anyone OP.

Also Joy-Con drift and battery life on the go. These 60 fps games would kill the battery.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
1. port begging
2. call of duty mobile exists and has a much larger install base on platforms that have much better online features.
Not port begging.and even if it was, what do you have against it. Are you just taddling because you think it breaks the rules without question, despite the productive discourse coming from it? There are so many topics that go through this board everyday and I don't see this as any less valuable as the other ones.

I have cod mobile on my phone and playing shooters is awkward AF on it. I'd rather play it on a bigger screen on Switch with controllers, or even handheld mode (can still use pro controller).
I think it's clear that publishers don't see the Switch as a viable platform for their games due to the lack of power. Not worth the time and cost.
Lack of power is not the issue here, especially when we had cod games on DS and Wii and it sold enough to make a profit for several games in the franchise.

Size of carts and how expensive the big ones
might be the biggest issue. Honestly that's the only thing I can think of. At least Witcher 3 was made an example and was ported and they compressed it down to like half the size of the PS4 version and on a 32GB cart.

Wii U really poisoned the well for Switch in a lot of respects and coming out mid-gen I think a lot of companies just set their feet in the sand on a position and refused to come off it because the combined PS4/XB/PC base was large enough by mid-cycle that there's not as much motivation to want to go outside that bubble.

Switch 2 I think will have an easier time of it.
Wii U certainly did, but switch is already 3x the install base of Wii U lifetime in less than 3 years.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
In the Switch early days it was probably due to the lack of confidence in the system after the WiiU, but at this stage I'm quite certain it is only due to the size of the games and nothing else.
As to those saying "Joycon aiming is poor", really? Do you even have a Switch (and if you do, have you played any kind of shooters on it) ? Because there is this thing called gyro aiming .
- "

Last edited:

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Continuous modwhining over a series of posts/threads
It's a good rule, you'll be okay.
Nah its really oppressive.I think even for rules that could be considered, "port begging," it needs to be seriously revised. You know its oppressive when you have no where to discuss this issue. Certainly not with mods. When I asked them how I could contest when my last thread got closed and i got modded, they just said, "go to contact us," which is just a link in the bottom of the page that leads to an page that you put a subject and a message box. They didn't give me a specific forum to go to. You are forced to acknowledge that you broke a rule and at fault, even when you don't think you have in a harmless situation like this, or worst of all, it doesn't make any sense. I swear this site is a joke.You ave the most liberal people here with the most open ended topics and its touted for social justice.. but the moment you have a different opinion, you get lambasted and threatened, and you can't even defend yourself or contest a moderation after someone calls out that they taddled you.

And at any given moment, half the threads on this forum are about people asking each other what their favorite games are. I'm not opposed to those topics, but I don't see how they are anymore valuable than these kinds of threads. This is sparking discourse and productive conversation, and it could inspire people to talk about it more and even do something about it. I mean shit man.. Operation Rainfall would have never happened if it wasn't for passionate people that didn't care. Games like Xenoblade would have never hit it in the states and we wouldn't have gotten X or XCX.

You don't think the bolded is odd considering all the software on the platform? And you only listed 4 games...

What ur saying might be true but I dont see a lot of FPS games on the platform. And I haven't seen any statements from publishers talking about success on the platform. I doubt publishers would pass up an opportunity put software on the platform if there's money to be made... and yet here we are. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think its odd that we get overwatch, spyro, two crash games, assassins creed games all in one year, but Switch doesn't get the most popular franchise that will likely earn more profit for activision than most other games with its online multiplayer and DLC. Especially on a system that is already more than 3x the wii u install base in less than 3 years, and on its way to meeting 100 million in lifetime sales like the wii, and it has the portability factor as an appeal. So the only logical thing I can personally think of that is size of the game, which I think is Switch's biggest bottleneck easily(cart sie and cost) when it comes to not receiving ports... not raw power. which developers have confirmed as well. But that could be taken care of by testing the waters with enhanced versions of last generation ports (AC did it) and cod mobile, until carts get cheaper...

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna hazard a guess that most people who are in the market to play a long-running series like CoD already do that on other systems. If you're holding off just because it isn't on Switch, you're probably just gonna play it super casually anyway, so you're not gonna be heavy into the MTX they want to sell you. Add to that Nintendo's wonk online infrastructure and technical factors like cart/install size, and I'm not surprised it's not on Switch.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
What else do you possibly think is the reason? For whatever reason, almost certainly something financial, Activision doesn't seem to see enough incentive to put these games on the Switch.
What reason would make this specific game incapable to sell well enough ?
What popular game sold so poorly on the switch that it made the publisher regretting releasing it ?

Or is something along the line of "it would sell, but not be big enough, not successful enough".
Like, earning some money isn't worth it, only big money is (no proof it wouldn't be big be whatever...)
If that's what you mean then maybe.
So you might be right on the financial aspect, but honestly every single choice is financial anyway directly or indirectly.

Sometimes it just feels like developing for the Switch makes you look bad which is hilarious.

Edit : Reread your comment and that's what you say so I guess I took it a bit the wrong way, my bad. I thought "not enough to get a return on investment" which would be nearly impossible.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Technical limitations (performance, graphics and most importantly size), probably some research telling them it isn't worth it and probably the key reason is that switch online infrastructure is a shitshow.

Basically tell Nintendo to create a online network that isn't from 2005.

Last edited:

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
See now before I got Overwatch on Switch my answer would be:

I'm sure it's the usual if you care about CoD at all you would get it on one of the other consoles anyway so we don't need to make a Switch CoD reason. They've done their research and found there isn't a bunch of Switch owners sitting there wishing there was a CoD on their console they could buy and play.

BUT

Playing Overwatch on Switch now and seeing how many people actually do play it there, I'm surprised to realise maybe there is a bit more of that group than I personally figured?

I dunno why these companies just don't port their mobile stuff to Switch, I feel like PUBG mobile etc would be ok.

As far as CoD goes, just put Black Ops 1 on Switch, don't need the new shit that is worse anyway. :P Just gimme dat!

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Infrastructure, and additional resources to essentially co develop a game alongside the current iteration. They most certainly do not feel like they have a target demo for it on the console to warrant the addition expenses.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Simply, the vast majority of CoD customers do not want to purchase it for Switch. It's not profitable. Activision smartly didn't forget selling 25 million copies per iteration of this franchise on PS360 and selling only 1 million on Nintendo hardware despite Wii dominating the market.

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Because there are two options;

a) port a severly compromised, low rez version of the PC/PS4 etc version.
(I don't think many people would really want this. At best it would look terrible, as the game clearly isn't designed for a system of that power level)

or b) make any entirely new CoD game just for Switch.
(This is clearly the better option, but clearly the time, resources, motivation isnt there to do it)

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
We had this thread like a week ago?

People need to understand that companies dont partake into this fanboy mentality. The reason they dont release CoD on switch is because they dont see it as a financially viable option, or the cost of making it technically viable is too expensive. It's really that simple

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Maybe if enough Era threads are made about the topic, Bobby Kotick will finally notice the small indie platform known as the Nintendo Switch, an unknown platform that they definitely have never thought about bringing one of the biggest franchises on the planet to. They almost have certainly done zero analysis on if CoD could run on it and/or how much work they'd have to put in to make it run acceptably and they've certainly done zero market analysis if a CoD for Switch would sell since small indie company Activision can't afford market research

Maybe instead of telling Activision why they're doing the one thing they're good at (creating profit) wrong, work backwards and figure out why it isn't on Switch.
Pretty much.

Also, the Switch port-begging needs to stop.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
That's dumb. Aside from the fact that port begging is really only a disturbance for shitting up threads with off topic discussion, and thus not really a problem to a thread dedicated to it, talking about one of the biggest franchises in the world on one of the most successful platforms in the world is hardly begging, it's discussing industry trends.

I mean nearly every thread has some kind of switch begging or promoting as it is. Maybe there should be a dedicated switch port begging thread.

Beardanidas

Oct 28, 2017
CoD Mobile would make a fine addition, seems like a perfect competitor for Fortnite on there. (Also why not pubgmobile too)