• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tesla

Feb 8, 2019
I mean TF2 is amazing. The handling of the guns is incredible.

why no love?

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
My expectations for the Star Wars FPS is through the roof.

And that's the way it is because no Titan Fall 3.

:(

Nakazato

Oct 25, 2017
Cause it Came out around BF and COD. If TF2 would have came out in March or April it would have likely sold a lot better

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't think much of Titanfall 2, but I played it after all the hype it got and it just fell flat for me.

FPS games just never really been mine thing.

Jan 21, 2019
United Kingdom
Colossal skill floor compared to many of its peers and an even higher skill ceiling. First game was kind of a mess and that hurt the second one's reputation, and by the time word of mouth spread about TTF2, people had been playing for so long that games were unwinnable for the average content tourist.

Also the Titan designs aren't really that great. They're neither iconic nor sexy, which is what people look for.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was successful

Just not successful enough for a packed holiday launch

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Because they released it between Call of duty and Battlefield. Amazing games aren't guaranteed amazing sales.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Colossal skill floor compared to many of its peers and an even higher skill ceiling. First game was kind of a mess and that hurt the second one's reputation, and by the time word of mouth spread about TTF2, people had been playing for so long that games were unwinnable for the average content tourist.

Also the Titan designs aren't really that great. They're neither iconic nor sexy, which is what people look for.

Realistically, it's all of these factors put together. It had a few really cool ideas but it had a lot of things working against it, especially in an era where CoD instantly gets most people's FPS money.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The first game was an Xbox console exclusive just after the disastrous Xbox One launch, and the sequel was send out to die by being launched right between Call of Duty and Battlefield.

Nero3000

May 12, 2020
First one came out exclusively on xbox one, which was still suffering it's disastrous launch and the second was in peak annual FPS era and in the congested Q4 time of year - it struggled to break through those impediments

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
too complex for mass shooterbro adoption. that and the marketing probably didn't help get it out there enough. feels like the only time in the past decade that someone actually tried to evolve FPS gameplay a bit so it's really disappointing that no one seems to have taken any from it. FPS games are stale as fuck these days. At least Doom Eternal tried some shit.

Laurel

Oct 29, 2017
the first one launched as xbox exclusive at it's "arguably" worst

the second one was sent to die

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood the love that TF2's campaign got.
It was good but people always talk about it as one of the best and I just can't see it

Anyway, it was launched next to a BF game, it was a stupid idea and I've no idea wtf EA were thinking

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't think it was that good, personally.
This. The MP was never much fun to me and the singleplayer had some cool ideas but not enough to sustain me for an entire campaign. Beat them both and the only thing I remember is that dope ass prefab construction lab level.

Couldn't tell you anything else besides there was a robot with a name like a Star Wars droid

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Titanfall is incredible, unfortunately like other users have suggested about Sony making their CoD-replacement. The FPS is near impossible to break into. Charging $60 for a newer IP especially releasing near CoD and Battlefield was not a good idea. Battle royale really allowed some new players like Apex to exist however it's still very difficult.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The release timing of Titanfall 2 absolutely screwed any chance it had at getting a foothold in the shooter market between CoD and Battlefield.

Locking Titanfall 1 as a timed Xbox One exclusive while they were going through the media backlash of the "Always Online" controversy was also another terrible choice.

TL;DR Release timing. The series is amazing and it hurts that we might not see a third entry, especially with how great the first two entries have been.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
it just didn't resonate with mass audiences the way other games do. That happens sometimes. Its hard to determine every single factor that causes, say, something like Fortnite to suddenly become the biggest game in the world, If any of us knew the answer we'd be working at video game companies instead of on message boards.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Titanfall 1 was Xbox exclusive
Titanfall 2 was released at the worst possible window to die by EA

Really too bad, would love to play Titanfall 3

krakenking189

Feb 21, 2021
A part of I believe has to do with the setting. To newcomers and potential players it can be seen as generic with no real standouts. The designs of the titans are generic and not recognizable at all.

if there was one thing that Apex Legends did better than Titanfall, it's injecting life and a new perspective into the universe of Titanfall making it less generic than before.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Its a very high skill floor game.
Also, it got killed by insanely poor marketing / release schedule.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The first game was exclusive to a console that less people owned in the height of lol Xbox One console wars and had zero campaign.

The second game had a terrible beta that turned a lot of Titanfall fans off of it and, while it improved, it didn't ever really reach the highs (or the unique nature) of the first game. Incredible campaign, but people stick with these games for the multiplayer. And to top it off, released in literally the worst time it could.
Didn't sell many and then continued to sell at a very reduced price but to an increasingly dwindling playerbase.

Damn shame. Happy for Respawn that they've had big successes post-Titanfall. I'm about as big a fan of the first game as you can get.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The first one being exclusive to Xbox wasn't good for its overall base and then the 2nd one was launched in the middle of COD and battlefield.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
The 2nd game's mp being a big step down from the first didn't help the situation.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Titanfall 1 being a multiplayer online xbox one exclusive really hurt it out the gate. When people sing the praises of TF2 it's often for it's single player campaign. If TF2's campaign had been in TF1, Xbox exclusive or not, I think it would have had a ton of more positive buzz, and TF2 would have had a lot more hype going in.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
First one came out on a console that was having the most tumultuous launch in the Xbox history and the second one got sent out to die by it's own publisher by releasing on the same month as their battlefield franchise.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even like 'fast paced' (More a tactical shooter) but Titanfall and more so Titanfall 2 are far far better than what Respawn did back in the Activision days. The latter with it's both online and great single player and they felt like they yeah came between Battlefield (So on EA to a degree although I think Respawn might of have had a hand) and COD. Could without those (And it's better than COD easily, Battlefield is a different style) been so much more.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
First game was a weird one with the hybrid campaign, forced AI grunts in MP and the unbalanced card system

Second was a more complete product, but IMO a lot less fun to being way more sweety/try-hard/hard-to-master/punishing to new players

On on top limited post-launch support and various bugs/server issues and it's not surprising that it never took off long term. I still think it had decent sales all things considered, just not compared to alternatives they can make (Star Wars, Apex, ect...)

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Titanfall expects much more of the player than the average FPS. The mobility alone can be pretty daunting for some people.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's the one-two combo of a high skill celling and all around poor management of the franchise. The first game was Xbox only on one of their worst consoles, and the population thinned pretty quick on the PC side. The second one came out at a really bad time, and by the time anyone had gotten it cheap, the player base had moved on and all that remained were pros and cheaters. Then Apex Legend happened and Respawn basically forgot about the franchise.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
First one came out exclusively on xbox one, which was still suffering it's disastrous launch and the second was in peak annual FPS era and in the congested Q4 time of year - it struggled to break through those impediments
Didn't 1 sell over 10 million copies? Also, didn't it outsell 2, which was multiplatform? People just didn't gel with the second the way they did the first enough, I feel like. I'm one of them.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
The first game was MP only, also PC/Xbox One exclusive. People didn't think the content justified the asking price, and it had stiff competition on PC. Also you have to remember the Xbox One was basically viewed as a joke early in it's lifespan.

2 was multiplatform and added a bomb ass campaign, but EA also basically sent it out to die, releasing near Battlefield 1. Some also viewed the MP in 2 as a regression from the first game.

Apex then came out and was a smash hit, bona fide moneymaker, so most of the focus was put on that and Star Wars projects.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
People love talking about verticality, movement and Titans but at the end of the day the same style gameplay wins out with the masses. The two best selling FPS games last gen were boots firmly on the ground.

I still think TF1 was the best MP FPS experience last gen.

The first game was MP only, also PC/Xbox One exclusive. People didn't think the content justified the asking price, and it had stiff competition on PC. Also you have to remember the Xbox One was basically viewed as a joke early in it's lifespan.

2 was multiplatform and added a bomb ass campaign, but EA also basically sent it out to die, releasing near Battlefield 1. Some also viewed the MP in 2 as a regression from the first game.

Apex then came out and was a smash hit, bona fide moneymaker, so most of the focus was put on that and Star Wars projects.

I might be wrong but TF sold more than TF2. Granted much less competition in early 2014.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
i don't understand why, specially since Titanfall 2 is the best controlling FPS game out there (to me). The gunplay was really something else.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Have you SEEN Titanfall?

I never played it, unfortunately, but watching a playthrough of Titanfall 2's campaign was exciting. The talking mech is a top tier character.