• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Other than to catch the whales who pay for literally everything, I think the idea is that you pick and choose whatever you want/catches your eye, I don't think EA expects everyone to buy everything.

This. The complaining over DLC for The Sims as well as games from Paradox like Crusader Kings never made sense. You're not supposed to buy everything! The Sims actually gets worse if you do, since all the features you don't want will contribute to the game lagging lol.

i also just don't trust ea lol. sims 4 was meant to be a mobile game with all the monetary trappings of one.

Huh? Sims 3 was the one that actually had microtransactions. Sims 4 is like 1 and 2 except it also has mini-expansions that are half the price of regular expansions.

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still waiting for them to fix the Vampire DLC, where the NPCs suddenly burn up. Or the job DLC, where I'm visiting the same crime scene again and again - without hints from the previous crime disappearing.

If they charge this much, I expect some sort of support for this, but there is nothing.

Rose Red

Oct 26, 2017
While Sims 4 character creation is amazing I'm just never abandoning Sims 3 because the cost of moving up a gen is again insane.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Ya, my wife and her friend are really into the sims games. The DLC prices they get away with are ridiculous.

It's like a lot of the arguments I see against Destiny to an even worse degree. Going back to the basics and re-adding features that were in the previous game with paid expansions.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i know that their prices are ridiculous, but i would spend stupid money on a remaster of Sims 1 with all dlc and the option to have original music

that's just how it be

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
One of my colleagues was complaining hard the other day because his daughter wanted some hair for the sims and it cost $20 bucks!
That's almost as much as going to the real hairdresser.

I guess the reason is "because they can".

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
One of my colleagues was complaining hard the other day because his daughter wanted some hair for the sims and it cost $20 bucks!
That's almost as much as going to the real hairdresser.

I guess the reason is "because they can".
You can't buy just hair in the Sims 4. That's either the Sims 3 store, which they don't have in Sims 4, or maybe the mobile game which I don't really know anything about.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Never forget.
mkBrqcD.jpg

That's beautiful.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
The expansion packs are what they are, imo, the way each new base game installment essentially resets the party is almost always a step down at first, but inevitable. Like with Sims 3, it tends to get better once the new content is added... and I wouldn't say the existence of these packs are innately negative as much as the lesser of two evils (getting probably left with nothing at all or what have you) -- it just comes down to how good they are and in what manner they are distributed.

But they do add up and it can be daunting just how much content is split into all these multi-priced extras. And in 4's case, they've been churning them out at a faster rate than before if I'm not mistaken, and with a newly introduced pack category to add to the pile and the like.

I do love The Sims I confess.... The bottom line is that altogether we are provided a very meatified life/dollhouse sim that 60 bucks for everything would feel like a steal for in retrospect, yes. You don't need to buy everything at their most inconvenient pricing to have a gameplay experience that contains sufficient content either. I never had all The Sims 2 expansions and it's my favorite in the series. But when you see just how much content is being sold, it's definitely a buttload of numbers for one single player game. But it's one crucial way EA supports the series and the fans are actually very active in interaction with them and in voicing what they want so it's all part of the deal really.

Milk the cow, take the calcium!!

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I think it was hair DLC. Not sure about the details I just heard him ranting.
There is nothing like that for that amount of money in any of the games. There are "hair DLC" for Sims 3 in the form of microtransactions but as the name implies those are not 20 bucks.
Maybe she wanted a hairstyle that is included in one of the Game Packs. But then you pay 20 bucks for a lot of other things beside the hairstyles.

so many features that were standardised in previous sims games have been taken out and locked behind a (rather steep) paywall.
May I have some examples?

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
I remember my wife hounding me for aggggges that she needed the xbox version. Then she got it and just went right back to the pc version... what a mess of a game the console version was, ugh...

Last edited:

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
Back when Sims released there was a community that made new content for free (mods), walls, people, floors, furniture and so on, is this still a thing with Sims 4 or is there only DLC?

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Back when Sims released there was a community that made new content for free (mods), walls, people, floors, furniture and so on, is this still a thing with Sims 4 or is there only DLC?
It's still very much a thing. My current mods folder is about 7Go and growing.

But still no VR mod :'(

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
yeah all the sims dlc is hilariously expensive. they will never get money out of me. if you can, play the pc version. it has mods.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
There is nothing like that for that amount of money in any of the games. There are "hair DLC" for Sims 3 in the form of microtransactions but as the name implies those are not 20 bucks.
Maybe she wanted a hairstyle that is included in one of the Game Packs. But then you pay 20 bucks for a lot of other things beside the hairstyles.

Yeah I think that's it actually, I just asked him!

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if some just have trouble adjusting their mindset and expectations to varying and untraditional monetization models.

I see the same titles brought up again and again, the likes of Crusader Kings 2, Train Simulator, The Sims and more. And they're propped up like some bugaboo, an example of the evils of predatory DLC.

But when you look at it more closely, you see all these example titles offering different ways to extend the life of the game. Using it as a platform to give users years of continued game development with a la carte transaction models.

It's not always perfect. I guess nothing is. But it's just an alternate revenue stream that allow developers to focus on a single title for years upon years. Hell, just yesterday CK2 celebrated 7 YEARS of sustained development and content production. A stark contrast to the "push it out the door and move on to the next project" publishing mentality of the past. You're either signed up for continued support coupled with continued monetiation or your aren't.

But being sour to the proposition does not make the model inherently flawed. Just means it's not for you.

Nothing wrong with that. I'd only suggest being wary of labeling those who enjoy the extended-tail model of game support as somehow naive or uneducated. People know exactly what they're spending their money on. Whether you see the value or not is irrelevant to the eyes of those who find satisfaction and joy in these products.