• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
I met a woman who was completely blown away by the fact that there are grown men who weigh less than 170 lbs.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
With some guys, skinniness is a sign of being physically weak. Toxic masculinity, etc., but I've seen women also give skinny guys (and short guys) the same kind of shit.

The long and the short of it is that some people are generally just assholes.

Try to be comfortable in your own body and respond to those snipes with a sense of humor. Otherwise try talking to a professional. It's not healthy feeling down or offended regularly.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
What? You dont have to be 2 metres tall nor do you have to be an athlete to have 90kg be considered a healthy weight.

OP don't let that shit get you down, why people can't mind their own business i don't understand.
healthy is 18.5<IMC<24.9. This means for 90kg you need to at least be 190cm.
The limitations of BMI are:
  • very young and very old people (which we can assume OP isn't)
  • Very high muscle mass (essentialy professional/semi-profession athletes)
  • Pregnancy
  • Some weird diseases (like Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva)
No way a normal person that has 170-180 can have 90 Kg and be within normal parameters.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Yeah, fuck that noise. Im 160 lbs / 6', so I would say its less(?) of an issue these days. But in my youth, that shit felt so insulting

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Ok, I've been guilty of the "boy I wish I could eat a lot and stay that thin" because I really do. Never saw that as shaming some one (more like wishing I was like them, not being critical at all. I love eating a lot and would love to be thin but for me I can't do both).

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I am a tall, skinny person in my mid-30s. I have a condition and all of my family is skinny to start with - I will never, ever gain more weigth than I currently have.
I have had a rough childhood and time in school because of this, it made me a very introverted person (thanks video games that you were there for me).
While it's better today since I have a healthy relationship and some friends who understand, I am still a shy and reserved guy, often thinking(knowing) that person that I am talking to might think "boy that man is skinny". I am also uncomfortable wearing T-Shirts and shorts or going to the lake/beach.

It still happens from time to time at work, or sometimse even at family/friends gatherings that people can't help but make jokes and shame. Like one example when I tell a story what moped/bike I had as a teenager. Then the joke comes "Haha, with the helmet on, I bet you looked like a pin needle on that moped!" and everyone laughing. Or the obligatory "you need to eat more, you are falling off your skin!" or "boy I wish I could eat that much and stay that skinny" sayings. Not even going to start with the "real men" telling me that you are "only a man when you have at least 90kg"

The worst thing from last week was that I was offered a cereal bar but I had no desire at that moment. I got talked into the ground why I don't eat it because apparently if someone is skinny you have to be hungry all the time and therefore you should also eat all the time. After back and fourth I had to accept it because that person was really stubborn - followed by a "good guy, enjoy your meal". I gave it to another person later because I just did not like it.

I am used to all of it and in front of other people I have no other way and play along... but I don't think those people realize that all of this is really hurtful.
Why is this accepted? Is it because of the general opinion that all skinny people are happy with their looks and that I maybe "want" to look like I do?
It makes me very sad and a bit depressed at times.

You have a healthy relationship and friends.

Let all of this go.

Satanic Saint

Oct 27, 2017
I have got this all my life. I'm 5'7" and 116 lbs and it just plain sucks. But I always just joke about it and say that I'd be the first male UFC strawweight champion.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I get this sometimes, it's super annoying. People have no idea what they're talking about. Not to mention the "it all goes to your chest" joke that isn't even funny the first time.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
As a skinny dude, I should probably be eating more, but at the same time I'm rarely hungry and not going to force myself to eat.
That's pretty much how I am. I never force food down just to clear the plate, I think that's how a lot of people start getting over weight, that feeling they have to clear the plate, because all those starving Africans or whatever they were told when they were little.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thanks for the thread, mirrors my experience a lot.
I am also uncomfortable wearing T-Shirts and shorts or going to the lake/beach.
I didn't learn to swim until I was 21 because I was too self conscious at school to display my overtly skinny body to my peers.
I just turned up at a different PE session because they were bad at taking registers back then. The bonus was that I played a lot more cricket!

I think I only stopped caring about it so much in the last few years because I had a prominent public-facing job that required me to stand and talk in front of big groups often, which burned away my self-conscious hang-ups.

It is really uncomfortable when folk draw attention to one's figure, and tells one to eat a burger etc. It's tantamount to uninvitedly telling an overweight person to stop eating burgers

It's genetics for me, and I have been assured by family members that I'll start gaining weight when I'm older as they did.

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
Because everyone's fat. Or you get the gym guys that can't stand to think of themselves as being thin so project on other people.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
"go eat a burger"
Like...fuck you motherfucker all I do is eat, fuck off with that nonsense.

I feel you OP, people will never grow out of that shit.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Because everyone is overweight, people always comment about how little I eat. Sorry breh I don't eat Wendy's for lunch 5 days a week like you.

Zepar

Alt account
Banned
Jun 27, 2019
Because most people in America are obese so people who are at a perfectly healthy weight appear "sickly" in comparison. As someone who is 6'1', 130 lbs I get this all the time. Coworkers are always nagging on me because I don't eat at work either.

To be honest, it doesn't bother me too much because I do feel some o it comes from a legitimate (if unwarranted) sense of concern. What annoys me more is all the "hit the gym" comments. I like my slender twink body thank you very much, i just wish I wasn't so tall T.T

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I've been skinny shamed but it doesn't bother me. I'm pretty healthy all things considered

Oct 27, 2017
Because most people in America are obese so people who are at a perfectly healthy weight appear "sickly" in comparison. As someone who is 6'1', 130 lbs I get this all the time. Coworkers are always nagging on me because I don't eat at work either.

To be honest, it doesn't bother me too much because I do feel some o it comes from a legitimate (if unwarranted) sense of concern. What annoys me more is all the "hit the gym" comments. I like my slender twink body thank you very much, i just wish I wasn't so tall T.T
I'm 6' and 170 lbs and most people consider me thin, if not skinny. 130lbs at your height seems insane to me. You do you and all, not trying to make you feel bad, but that cannot be "perfectly healthy".

Nov 26, 2018
Every time I get told I can eat more because I'm skinny I tell them about how I had to get a lipid test at 14 before I was allowed to exercise

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
If we're talking ACTUAL skinny (not just someone not being fat), then it's usually out of concern for someone's health. I can't imagine someone being jealous of someone being a twig.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
"go eat a burger"
Like...fuck you motherfucker all I do is eat, fuck off with that nonsense.

I feel you OP, people will never grow out of that shit.
Man, I know that feeling. I used to be coat-hanger skinny and it was impossible for me to gain weight. Thankfully once I hit 30 I finally started gaining weight and muscle - but man, before that it was a struggle.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Petty dicks are petty dicks, OP, and the world has no shortage of them at any given time or place.

Sorry it's bothering you. I can't offer much except to reinforce the fact that they're jerks for saying anything, and that you're AOK the way you are.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's bullshit and it hurts. I can't do anything about my genres. Even during my workout days I was still considered skinny.

The best is when I see heavier people talk about how body shaming is awful, and how they are beautiful all saying, "at least I'm not a stick." Hypocrites.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's bullshit and it hurts. I can't do anything about my genres. Even during my workout days I was still considered skinny.

The best is when I see heavier people talk about how body shaming is awful, and how they are beautiful all saying, "at least I'm not a stick." Hypocrites.

My favourite of those is "normal people" and a "real person".

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
After a point when I got told "eat a burger" by a stranger or acquaintances for the 100th time (because it's oh so clever and it obviously never occurred to me) I just stopped being cordial in my responses. Maybe it makes me grumpy in my older age but people need to learn to mind their own business.

lol absolutely the same. I'm no longer polite to people who say this to me.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Who knows, people make fun of other people for everything because people kind of suck.

Plenty of very skinny people go to the lake, beach, etc. though. You should be able to enjoy those things and realistically nobody is going to say anything to you if you went. if you're so uncomfortable you avoid those situations maybe you should talk to someone.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I'd say it's maybe understandable if it's a grandparent forcing more food on you and telling you "eat, eat, you're too skinny" but your examples sound way worse.

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco
I feel you. I'm 5'10 and 123lbs and that happens all the time. Especially cause I like eating fast food.
It gets a little repetitive when it's coming from everyone. I feel like my children are the only one who didn't comment on it yet. But my oldest is only 4

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
User warned: Inflammatory commentary.
if you deviate from the norm people will give you shit for it, whatever your difference may be.
stop being cordial, tell them you have superior genetics and cannot get fat and ugly and that you are sorry they obviously do not have the same blessing.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i think that contrary to someone being fat, being somewhat skinny is not synonym of unhealthiness

people shouldnt be mocking other people based on their how they look tho.

Oct 25, 2017
this is absolutely an obesity/overweight jealousy problem and culturally American to the core. The majority of American adults are overweight. All of you skinny folk here are not skinny, you're healthy. It infuriates me that these fucks would make you feel bad for that because you should be living fantastic lives not feeling the shame that having tons of body fat brings. They just want you to feel as bad about yourself as they do about themselves. They're mad because you're healthy and attractive and they're not.

Please do not eat a burger. Unless you really want one.

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco
this is absolutely an obesity/overweight jealousy problem and culturally American to the core. The majority of American adults are overweight. All of you skinny folk here are not skinny, you're healthy. It infuriates me that these fucks would make you feel bad for that because you should be living fantastic lives not feeling the shame that having tons of body fat brings. They just want you to feel as bad about yourself as they do about themselves. They're mad because you're healthy and attractive and they're not.

Please do not eat a burger. Unless you really want one.
Meh, not only America. Happened in France all my life

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see quite a few people in the thread saying they can't build muscle. You 100% can its just that it's a slow processes, especially if you are tall and on the low end of BMI. You need to be eating surplus of your maintenance weight, eat enough protein and fats (carbs are going to be your best friend though for calories and also need fibre and micros for a healthy diet), that you are working out to failure within the hypertrophy range of reps, always working on progressive overload, develop your mind muscle connection, a good workout plan that you can stick to, and that you also get your rest. Then do this for a few years (if you want to get big, should be able to gain around 20kg in 6 months as a beginner). You are also more predisposed to overtraining so need to keep this in mind.

If you actually want to give it a go. Download myfitnesspal and watch your calories for a week to see what you are actually eating. Then use a maintenance calculator then add 500cal to it and workout an easy set of meals and snacks based on what you are already consuming and can afford. Don't bother with a gym membership get yourself a set of adjustable dumbbell weights, a bar, a pull up bar, some resistance bands, and start on a beginner push/pull/legs split (shouldn't take longer than an hour) and always be trying to go up in weight every workout. Keeping in mind the notes above. Then just do it and stick to it. After 3 months you should need to buy some more weights. Eventually you will get to a point where you will need 2" plates and it's cheaper to get a gym membership then.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking from the perspective of a fat guy: it's pure jealousy. Just like some people make fun of attractive people (it does happen and it's usually very passive aggressive and mean) it comes from jealousy.

Also those people were jealous AND assholes.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Always get reminded of a Dr Phil clip I saw on youtube when audience member asked one of the people on stage a question and called her a name that had skinny in it. Phil then asked why it's ok for her to call her a name.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. I've dealt with this all my life too. Very annoying. Like...I can't wear short sleeves because I always get the comment about needing to put on some meat, eat more, etc. It is a once a week thing at work especially. I know people don't mean anything by it. They're just too dense to realize it isn't a compliment like they (sometimes) mean it to be.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You have a BMI of 17.2 you are not a healthy weight at all.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not that skinny (6'2" 185), but everyone always says I am. They're either short and fat or just fat. I take it as a compliment.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
its asscociated with not eating alot which to alot of people is a bad sign. it's basically saying that you look unhealthy because you don't eat enough. it's more of an old cultural thing from when people didnt have easy access to affordable food i think since it pops up in alot of different cultures

I think this needs to be pointed out, too. Some cultures have a huge food culture, and most likely due to memories of wartime and not being able to feed their families a lot. In some cultures, skinny isn't desirable either. Being skinny can be seen as starving/unhealthy to some. (As a person who grew up extremely underweight, due to health complications, I saw both sides of this).

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. All my life. I started to straight up say "look who's talking" and commenting in equal way about their lack of height, bad looks, fatness etc.

Most of the time they are perplexed as somehow shaming skin dudes is totally okay but getting shamed on for anything else is breaking a taboo or some shit.

+ Anybody doing this goes to the shit person list.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
There are a handful of well known songs out there with a message that everyone is beautiful, but then the song bashes skinny people. S'weird.