• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
They aren't even comparable. First Ori was mostly linear with a focus on platforming, Hollow Knight map completely opens up after a few hours and has a focus on combat.

One can be 100% in ~10h while the other takes 50h. Two completely different experiences.

Yes, I was pointing out how one persons opinion doesn't really mean much for the purpose of this threads premise. Essentially a game that knocked it out of the park with most critics but seems to barely get mentioned end of year. Some random forumgoer going "Hollow Knight bettuh!" is about the most redundant shit possible to where it just reads like "notice me!"

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Lol there isn't some conspiracy against ori going on and why it didn't get nominated. Simply a crowded year when a lot of great games came out

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It is odd a game as critically well received as this is missing from so many GOTY lists. Feels like it has receieved 0 recognition.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
not AAA enough
not Indie either

People like either the big blockbuster game they've been waiting for or the unexpected success story. Ori 2 was neither
Incredible game in my opinion

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who didnt play it, it looked pretty much the same as the last one, which probably went into the lack of enthusiasm. But i didnt play it so... thats just a guess

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox / PC version had a lot of performance issues at release while the Switch port was pretty much flawless, I believe.

That could explain it or it could be different reviewers. Has anyone ever tried comparing multiplatform games to see if there's any differences in how they're scored across platforms? Just for fun I looked at Dragon Quest XI S because I'm playing that now and can see the Xbox version has a 90% on Metacritic, Switch version 91%, and Playstation a 93%, but that's just one random game I happen to be playing.

Last edited:

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. There's only so many spots. What game shouldn't be on GOTY lists instead of Ori?

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
It wouldn't have won anything anyway, indie games like that will never win anything big because some big AAA game that is really not very good came out as well.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Yeah definitely robbed. Easily one of the best games of the year and absolutely blows it out of the park in many aspects. No question it should've replaced AC or FF7 on the GotY nominations at least. Both of those games have far too many flaws to be nominated imo (as someone who spent 60 hours on each and enjoyed them both).

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Indie games have come a long way since 2015, it's a great game but it's not the only one. There's always that one indie game which stands out every year, and Hades has taken that spot from Ori.

Last edited:

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't bribe people and useless influencers with gaming chairs, or appeal to the hardcore trash gamers club.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
The game was universally praised and got great reviews (it's metacritic score (Switch version) is the same as TLOU 2 and higher than Ghosts of Tsushima, Animal Crossing, Doom and AC: Valhalla).

Why is Persona 5 Royal being overlooked? Its metacritic score is not only higher than every game you mentioned, but the highest of any game released this year.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Good questions.

Its my GOTY.

I enjoyed it more than TLOU2, Hades, Animal Crossing and Doom Eternal (didn't play Got)

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not 3rd person cinematic (30 fps) single player campaign that can be beaten by 90% of players by just following the story beats
Animal Crossing was nominated and Hades even won some awards. This narrative you're pushing really doesn't mean anything. Hell, Sekiro won last year. Your logic is flawed.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think it should be celebrated to the level indies are at right now instead of looked at as being disappointed by this. Indies have come a very long way. Celeste was considered a nice surprise to show up as a TGA nominee. Now Hades is considered right up there, along with more indie games considered really good.

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
Played it in November on a xbox box one s. The game still had some serious technical problems.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Have people been paying attention to GOTY lists? There have been lots of indies on them. And Ori has been on a few lists. It was top 10 for Washington Post, Time, Mashable, and a bunch of other sites. Don't let seeing Ori at number 30 or whatever on Polygon's list form an instant narrative that Ori is being snubbed by everyone. Just check the lists.

And the reason why it isn't highly nominated on other sites is the same reason TLOU 2/Hades/AC isn't winning every GOTY. People have different opinions.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't calling Hades an "indie darling" kind of taking away from the amount of success it has had? 8 nominations at the game awards and it's likely going to be a pretty close 2nd to TLOU2 for the overall goty. They aren't just throwing it a bone.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's being overlooked. There are just several games that are better than it.

It should certainly be getting noms for art and music, which I think it has been.