• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I love the game on the Switch and the graphics are gorgeous but I'm always bothered when I'm rock climbing above a lush grassland and the rocky surfaces just look really band standout compared to the rest of the graphics.

Is there a reason why?

Oct 25, 2017
It's the team's first HD game and started development really early on Wii U.
The game also does a lot so it's not going to look great all the time

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Rocks are stretching texture files (probably as big as other objects) across very large surfaces because of their huge surface area and they probably never compensated for how big the texture would be stretched

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
the grass is the best looking part of the game easy. Everything rock or stone (especially the divine beast interiors) looks assy

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Probably what others said, the textures being stretched across an uneven surface.

I would enjoy a smaller game like BotW with more emphasis on the beauty and intricacies of smaller areas. I was discussing with a friend and we somehow came to the conclusion that Shadow of the Colossus more or less fit this bill.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Lets remember that the game was built with 1gb of ram of the wii u

So the textures suffers a lot

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I assume it's for performance reasons to just stretch out the texture and reuse it when so much of the game uses said texture.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, some of the rocks textures seem low res, especially evident if the camera is close. Will be an incredible game to get a remaster in a few years.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
You get really close to it alot and at very shallow angles. For them to really look great all the time you'd need aome sort of amazing rock technology.

But it's rocks. As long as they look like rocks im happy.

Feb 10, 2018
dc39a9c9-1bce-4700-a1b2-8ffc0a87dcf6_breath_of_the_wild_ruins.jpg

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Like everything else, it's a performance trade off. They made the right call.
This is probably true, but it was probably a performance trade off for the Wii U which the Switch version got saddled with. With double the ram, and more like 3.5x as much available to the game, Switch version probably could have at least gotten updated textures without any performance hit. The rest is just a time issue.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think that it holds up really well, especially rock surfaces that are on decaying buildings. What visual inconsistencies it does have on larger mountain surfaces are just a hardware limitation. It's an incredibly beautiful game aside though.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I feel this way about BotW as a whole, honestly, not just the rocks. I don't think I've played a game that switched between absolutely beautiful and drab and ugly so jarringly and so frequently.

botw-jungle01teuf9.jpg

botw-seacliffs014mlqa.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

breath-of-the-wild-puddle-1.png

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably true, but it was probably a performance trade off for the Wii U which the Switch version got saddled with. With double the ram, and more like 3.5x as much available to the game, Switch version probably could have at least gotten updated textures without any performance hit. The rest is just a time issue.
To be honest, with all the features the game have visual-wise, is a small miracle that even runs on a wii u lol

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
So I'm not too familiar with how BotW is built, but from the looks of it they are not using an overall macro normal map, which would be sculpted per rock and section that gives the overall rock its shape. Instead they are using micro normal details (so a tiling bumpy rock surface) that tiles across the entire rock wall area. And because of the way the game functions and works, they are basically using designer geo (very simple shapes that the player interacts with 1:1), where a lot of modern titles would create a tile set of fully sculpted rocks with Macro and Micro normals/materials, that they then would be the wall out of modularly. But since the climb surface has to be pretty specific you cannot rely on that density of surfaces that may obstruct the player path and be very difficult to test.

There are ways around making a set locked off climable wall that then you could use a set of to make more detailed climable sections that have a higher fidelity, but they didn't seem it important to priotize it, which makes sense.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
BotW texture work is really odd. Some stuff looks pretty decent, like the brickwork up above, and some of the ground textures look surprisingly high res. There is a certain like sandy/rocky ground texture that looks really good. But then the rock textures look like just complete ass.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Rocks, wood, concrete, and dirt are Nintendo's allergy. That includes Monolith Soft too except the rocks

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
BOTW overall could have looked amazing on some powerful hardware but the limitations really show. Even with that the game can make some pretty damn nice scenery but a lot of the time I was left wondering what it would look like if Switch was a traditional (UP TO DATE) console. oh well.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's really hard to make such a prevalent surface with few distinguishing features attractive over a long period of time. The only 'well done' rocks I see in games are used very sparingly.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I think most of the responses seem to have covered what I would have said: low-res textures were stretched across large surfaces, a decision likely influenced by the scale of the game and partially attributable to the title's early origins on Wii U. The Switch version essentially maintained graphical parity with the Wii U version, so Wii U shaped the visual experience for all versions. My hope is that we might see some improvements (nothing HUGE, of course) when Nintendo builds a Switch-exclusive game due to the more modern architecture and better specs.

Side note: There should be a term for the feeling of wanting to play BOTW again caused by BOTW threads in which people post screenshots.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
BOTW overall could have looked amazing on some powerful hardware but the limitations really show. Even with that the game can make some pretty damn nice scenery but a lot of the time I was left wondering what it would look like if Switch was a traditional (UP TO DATE) console. oh well.
It's a Wii U game

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I'm usually hyper sensitive to bad ground and rock textures but I thought BOTW's blended in just fine with the rest of the game. I'm one of those that thought Ocarina looked ugly as sin near release, but moreso cause of all those muddy as hell overworld textures. Characters and dungeons were mostly fine :p

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not doubting this, but I can't say I ever noticed
Yeah, same here (300+ hours logged). The only time I noticed was when a rock texture wasn't applied/displaying correctly, and it was on an outward-facing part of a cliff on the northernmost part of the map, so it was an even smaller issue than it would have been otherwise!

IwazaruK7

Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me how I was shocked by ground textures in MH4

88004f82b93aa30c62655a0389d7670d-jpg.76271

When previous games had ground looking better

a2cd837014c77193cf0dbae48af0e702-jpg.76266

5e169f06493813dd86ba9a1069e151ee-jpg.76267

28cf61988f1b302014bcecbc596c581b-jpg.76268

bd63c414684a539c3f21c27373f2edcb-jpg.76269

7458d9fbe67daf1cb754ac46efcb5bf7-jpg.76270

Also those "triangle" cliffs...

8cc7af0a7b811f0a66f244cb9435cf4c-png.76272

I suppose they improved both in 4U and XX/Generarions?

Anyway, in MH4 it looked like their ground texture was scaled at 200% or more than needed

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Most natural surfaces in the game are made with heightmaps instead of bespoke models. On the bright side it means there's almost no LOD pop-in on the terrain itself, but they look kinda rough up close.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
It's the team's first HD game and started development really early on Wii U.
The game also does a lot so it's not going to look great all the time
Yeah, pretty much, it's a Wii U game. The Switch has three times the amount of memory to work with, 1GB vs 3GB. The Switch version could easily have higher res textures pretty much everywhere if they wanted to do it.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Didn't they actually improve some textures for the Switch version? Or was that something else?