• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted an open and positive thread. Share your simple or deep reasons why you love this hobby (or is it your job?).

For myself games makes it possible to live in grand adventures or do crazy stuff not possible in real life. As a child it might've been even more aluring to me than most people, since I have cerebral palsy.

I also love seeing stat-numbers go up :)

Oct 30, 2017
Main reason is being in others worlds that don't exist in the real life. Second reason is thrill and satisfaction.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Escape from reality, helped me through my troubling childhood and teenage years. Love the cinematical influence from movies in video games and the interactions with characters in game. Also i LOVE technology so games naturally appeal to me that way as well..

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Drop in and out competitive play.

It's fun to compete with others and try and get better.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
It's a perfect blend of mediums. You have the superior storytelling of books, with the visual aspect of movies or television.

Couple that with the rush you get from accomplishing something in a game, it's just awesome.

I honestly find 99% of TV and movies boring compared to games.

JED BARTLETT

Oct 27, 2017
Belfast
They were the most exciting thing I'd ever seen. I grew up in the 70s and spent way too much time in arcades.
The idea I could play these games in my house fascinated me. It still does.
Even now in my 50s if I see an arcade I have to go in.

Oct 27, 2017
I just like the fun.

I think that's why I lean towards more gameplay focused games. Not that story focused ones are bad, they just have to work harder to keep my attention.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Great decompression tool for me. I'm a night owl so after the family goes to sleep I log a few hours in single player or multiplayer games with friends.

Be able to talk/game with friends nightly is a blast.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Escapism, exploration of fantastical worlds, interactivity that allows me to connect with the story and characters in a special way. Online games let me have small interactions with other people and that's super important as someone that is perpetually lonely and incapable of making long lasting connections with other human beings.

Mar 30, 2019
I love solving puzzles, getting lost when exploring, figuring out how other's play-think, and mostly because the situations can be absurdly funny.

obeast

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This probably almost too obvious to mention, but the interactivity is what gets me - the sense that I am not just following a story or sequence of events, but enacting it. It's a strangely personal medium, even in something like a classic FPS where the conventional story is inane or close to nonexistent. I have been hooked on that feeling more or less since I first played Doom as a young teenager and had to force quit the game because I identified so viscerally with my avatar that my impending murder terrified me.

There really isn't another medium that delivers that sense of connection - or not even connection, but literal identification. Games get a bit of a bad rap -- with cause, to a certain extent -- for being too escapist, for offering surrogate lives to people who don't want to deal with their real ones, but for me that's just another way of saying that they deliver a kind of experience that can't be replicated elsewhere.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
The world we live in is pretty fucked. Having a place to escape to helps. I use movies and video games interchangeably to get away for a bit.

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
The way I see it, other mediums lets you watch or listen to emotions, and thus create bonds, or feelings of empathy, whenever you react to, or relate to, what you listen to or watch.

Video games, however, allows you to BE emotions. To become someone else and inhabit something else entirely. It removes the veil completely. Now you're in the character's shoes, there's no middling in between what you're going through and what the character is going through, it's all direct, immediate.

Everything just hits you in a completely different way that it would do in other mediums. I'm not talking a superior stance, of course - video games can never truly emulate the empathetic impact of real-life acting, for example, but it's my favorite way of experiencing both narrative media as well as abstracted gardens of play.

There, and then, there's just endless potential for this medium to engross you into it's own world and it's own coherency and rules, whether they be superficial or grounded in gritty, relentless realism. Whether it's through puzzle design, third-person action or the most intricate RPG systems you've ever seen, games can sort of short-circuit your emotional receptors, take control over them and allow you to taste defeat at the hands of an enemy, or victory on top of one. It can create ways to lose yourself in words you could never imagine, or places you've always wanted to imagine.

When I play Tetris Effect, I am joy, when I play Shadow of the Colossus, I am sadness, when I play Breath of the Wild, I am freedom.

I am just THERE.

It sounds ultra pretentious, I know... But it's how I view games.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Go to places that I can't visit or full-on don't exist. I've always loved being immersed in a game environment that has a very strong, well-formed sense of place.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
I'm early 40's Been playing games over 30 years and constantly amazed how they improve and evolve each generation.

I see lots of people moan about modern gaming but I just don't see it myself

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
They provide a means to experience things that one can't do in real life and they also provide a good blend of things from other mediums like music, storytelling, sound, etc to convey a message or emotion through player interaction. They are also a great way to stimulate the mind and feel more engaged and accomplished with something without needing to be able bodied or socially skilled.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Lot of stimulation. Most of my other hobbies just don't hit the same

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
MRNsd.png

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Because real life is boring. Video games show you people and places that are exciting, and lets you participate.

It's freedom.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Honestly my answer is simple -- I love video games because they're fun.

You might ask, "Well, why are games fun?" but the answer to that really depends on the game. So my simple, but real all-encompassing answer is that I love them because they're fun.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Biggest reason is exploration/being in fantastical spaces that couldn't exist otherwise.

Dec 23, 2017
Video games are made by a culmination of people that come together to create a world, a story, and its characters.

Creating video games can take many years, and I just think its fascinating that so much work goes into these.

As time goes on, these games might end up being decent, good, all time favorites, or in the bargain bin...but sometimes you stop and wonder, who made those games? Where are they now? Are they still alive? Is the company still around?

Some of these games are timeless, and a one-of-a-kind experience you can't get anywhere else.

I play games because they are fun, I get to experience stories and adventures I can't experience in real life.

Of course, gaming is branching out into VR now, so that wall is slowly crumbling down.

8348262A21CFB5B1A6AAE186B48A8F3F509068A3

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I love them for the escapism. I guess that's why I focus a lot on open world games, to get lost exploring another world. Can do that with other genres too though.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Depends, love or like?

I think the games, films, and books, which I can clearly say I loved, are predominantly related to a release of oxytocin. I love all storytelling mediums that can successfully show me a different point of view, a grandiose theme development, some great characters, and it's almost always somthing that connects to my sense of empathy. All the games, films, and books in my collection have changed and improved my perception of humanity, sometimes in an invisible or subtle way, or in a way I discovered only years later as the game aged and I picked it back to replay it. This sort of game didn't really exist before the turn of the century, and I can't wait to see how far it will improve and be recognized more seriously and side-by-side with the other artistic mediums. I certainly didn't think that way about games when I was in my teens or young adult.

Many games can be extremely entertaining without much narrative value, I really like entertaining games, but I can't say I "love" them. I usually consume these games like I would eat popcorn. Popcorn makes me think "this is deliciously salty" and not "this popcorn changed the way I think about food and improved my life and insight about cooking being the great unifier and the solution to all wars". YMMV.

Can you put peanut butter on popcorn? Is it risky?

Last edited:

hasher

Oct 10, 2020
Manipulating a character on screen is no less magical today than it was when I first experienced it on the Atari 2600.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I just really dig their interactive aspect. When a game is mechanically sound and has satisfying and snappy animations, the proper hit feedback... They just feel amazing to engage with. It's kind of like cooking with a freshly sharpened and perfectly honed kitchen knife. Something that feels amazing to just use.

Now, if you take that base, which in my experience is the most important starting point, and you add beautiful music and visuals with strong art direction? It's a perfect blend. It's fun, but it's also more than fun. Something like the best Mario and Sonic games, or the best Sega arcade racers, incredible action games like Ninja Gaiden or Metal Gear Rising, even Breath of the Wild hits these notes for me. Yes, they're fun, but you also feel something in your heart when you play them. It goes beyond fun.

Man, I love videogames. But that love is also very hard to explain.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I really don't know

Like, I really love video games and I love to talk about them, but I don't really know why lol

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Good stress reliever and a good activity to use during rest among watching movies/tv and listening to music