• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I feel a strange sense of relief that I don't have to stomach these unfunny overused tropes in the games I play.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To you, perhaps, but these games aren't made for you. They're made for Japanese teenagers who find that sort of thing funny.

Not sure I buy this these days, especially as Japan moves away from traditional consoles. There was a Japanese survey that showed that teenagers were among the smallest audiences, with 20-30 years olds making up the majority of the fanbase.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Does Strikers have KT writers? It's amazing that the creative team for Royal had the restraint to not do this but the creative team for Strikers did.

Edit: Of course, some of the changes/added content in Royal is bad in a much different way.

Last edited:

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
wait until you find out that one of your female companions actually can't cook

lmao

The worst thing about this is that they always depict the attempts of cooking as a pixellated purple lump of goo rather than attempt to show why the food didn't come out well. It's like trying to do character development when Homer Simpson ignites his cornflakes.

Is there any game or anime that the cast goes to one, relax, have fun...and dont try to have the cliche of having a peeping tom or the same old mistake?

Laid-Back Camp springs to mind.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Not sure I buy this these days, especially as Japan moves away from traditional consoles. There was a Japanese survey that showed that teenagers were among the smallest audiences, with 20-30 years olds making up the majority of the fanbase.
And that's why they focus so much on teenagers and high schoolers. It remembers them of their high school years, since it's a special time in people's lives.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
And that's why they focus so much on teenagers and high schoolers. It remembers them of their high school years, since it's a special time in people's lives.
Highscool is their last moments of carefree freedom. The expectations of working culture after that are very rough

Maybe things have changed in the last 20 years but in the late 90s and 2000s it was true

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have honestly seem it in soooo many games and sooo many anime. It's a proper codified trope at this point. And it's a gross and sleazy one to keep using on women that even seeing it just a few times is too many.
I laughed when it showed up in the digimon tri bath house scene and it was the girls busting in on the boys instead

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Since every jrpg also has a shounen high-school / coming of age setting, my guess would be that onsens are a cultural reference point in the average Japanese boy's, uhm, sexual growth.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
Because this kind of joke that is built around the fetishization of the female body is as far as incel cognition goes functionally. I hope these games/anime grow out of puberty someday, their aesthetics are the closest things to fun and queer that we have in gaming, and yet all the regression in social commentary is just disapointing.

Oct 27, 2017
200.gif

Grow up Atlus. Seriously.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind it. It's usually a small segment in these games/anime.

I remember enjoying the hot spring segment in P3, just because Mitsuru goes ape shit if you get caught lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Like why not just make it so the characters understand that there is a misunderstanding? If you have to add such a useless trope then do something unpredictable.

Such a stupid mess.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Does Strikers have KT writers? It's amazing that the creative team for Royal had the restraint to not do this but the creative team for Strikers did.

Edit: Of course, some of the changes/added content in Royal is bad in a much different way.
I'm assuming that Royal and Strikers were written by the new P-Studio. And original Persona 5 by old P-Studio now Studio Zero. But I'm not 100% sure.

Nov 9, 2017
OP reminds me of a poster who once said Persona 3 was ripping off Bible Black of all things because of generic anime tropes.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
They all play out.... Almost. Exactly. The. Same.

It was barely funny the first time, and I've lost count how many times I've seen it since.

I have honestly seem it in soooo many games and sooo many anime. It's a proper codified trope at this point. And it's a gross and sleazy one to keep using on women that even seeing it just a few times is too many.

^^^

Nothing more to to add.

FFFanatic

Nov 1, 2017
Don't forget the part where the entire conversation is the female characters comparing chest sizes:

Female Character 1: Oh my god [Female Character 2], your chest is soooo much bigger than mine.
Female Character 3: I wish mine were like that.... [sad face]
Female Character 2: W...what do you mean? *intense blushing*

Every.
Single.
Time.

Oct 25, 2017
The most disturbing thing is that shit is starting to leak into the good Shin mega Tensei games, hopefully V is free of that bullshit, I just wanna go kill god.

These scenes would be better if we knew they were actually written by an AI. Actually maybe the AI would be more original. Even the non perv stuff is basically a copy/paste.
I hope you ready for what's about to come in SMT V 👀

The most disturbing thing is that shit is starting to leak into the good Shin mega Tensei games, hopefully V is free of that bullshit, I just wanna go kill god.
* Insert evil laughter here

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
The dumbest is that it makes the girls look irrational since they ask for an explanation, the boys do and then the girls say "no excuses" like what? it's not even about punishing them since in this case it was a mistake, you can even see a lot of the commenters in the video saying the same

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Is there any game or anime that the cast goes to one, relax, have fun...and dont try to have the cliche of having a peeping tom or the same old mistake?

It's one of the moments that stood out for me in Trails in the Sky FC. The cast go to a hot spring, have a fun time, and have a wholesome conversation. The sprites are not horny and it's a very cute scene overall, it should be the standard for hot spring scenes. There are definitely romantic undertones, with Estelle feeling embarrased on sharing a hot spring with Joshua, but it's not handled like the usual anime hijinks. It's just romance, really.

Can't speak for the rest of the Trails games cause I have not played them, but I heard they got much worse in this front.

As for the question of OP... it's one of the most popular tropes in anime! But everyone already said it.

EDIT: I honestly genuinely forgot there was a dumb anime "omg, a boy in the woman's bath!" mistake in this scene before posting it lol. But still, it's so lowkey and resolved so quickly that I still found it refreshing. It's definitely still up there as one of the best hot spring scenes I have seen.

Fromskap

Sep 6, 2019
I was thinking with Persona becoming such a flagship Japanese series that they would distance themselves from such shameless otaku indulgences as to not alienate a larger audience. But it might have just become worse. Additionally, the high-schoolers who played Persona 5 at its inception would be adults now, so getting fanservice scenes of these characters after so many years feels particularly inappropriate.

Imagine your anime points of reference being bible black
Let's not be too quick to judge here. Perhaps they were part of the task force that secured bin Laden's compound and went through his data.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
I have found that my quality of life and the quality of animated TV shows/games I watch/play has gone up significantly since I started applying the "Is the main character a high school student in modern day Japan?" test.

If yes, I am not interested.
Nah... I can't do that. I would've missed out alotta cool shows if I did that

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Asura's Wrath has a hot spring episode. IIRC it works out a bit different there culminating in a battle against a brutish guy who wants to train Asura but it's been a while since I played that game.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
This reminds me to the Kaguya wants to be confessed when they make fun of the trope:
ES4etlPWoAANH4V.jpg:large
Kaguya-sama is great; I need to catch up on the manga.

Anyway, yeah, the "guys peek into the girls' side of the hot springs but get caught and reprimanded in a slapstick way" trope is more of an anime thing than just a Persona thing. It's boring and gross.

The Persona series post-P3 has tried to have its games structured like an anime, with the dungeons and plot lines revolving around a month acting like story arcs in an anime season. That's part of the reason of why they games run so long (apart from standard JRPG bloat). So it's only natural that they take on the anime tropes as well.

I remembered being particularly annoyed in Persona 5 where they waste an anime cutscene just on showing us what the girls look like in their kimonos/yukatas for the festival. It's just there for the "waifu" crowd and doesn't do anything like advance the plot or introduce a new character.

Deleted member 25834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You have games where you go and kill people with guns and grenades. Is this really something to be outraged over?

I think it's one of those anime tropes that they've just kept in because it's a running gag.

Relatively harmless, but maybe I'm just not educated on this subject and am missing something?

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
You have games where you go and kill people with guns and grenades. Is this really something to be outraged over?

I think it's one of those anime tropes that they've just kept in because it's a running gag.

Relatively harmless, but maybe I'm just not educated on this subject and am missing something?

Other things being bad doesn't make this any less bad.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I was hopeful after the absence of a hot spring scene in P5/R, P-Studio finally would have gotten the memo that it's a trash trope. Evidently not.
This reminds me to the Kaguya wants to be confessed when they make fun of the trope:
ES4etlPWoAANH4V.jpg:large

Kaguya is the best. Their version of the "hot springs scene" cracked me up.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Persona tries to hard to follow anime tropes, it ends up actually harming the experience imo. It would be a breath of fresh air if the next manages to not have a beach episode or a hot springs one now with a change in director.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Makes the game worse. Its just a distracting scene that sexualises teenagers, doesnt advance any character arcs, ends up with incosistent characterization, literally goes against the themes of the game, etc.

Its just a bad, pointless scene, put those resources somewhere else please.