• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
iu

iu

iu

They look like aliens wearing the skin of children, about to eat my face or something. And it makes no sense. The adult models look great. Why are the kids rolling in the uncanny valley?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even think most of the adults look all that great. There's a LOT of variation in quality between the character models that got a ton of effort and the ones that didn't, and all of them are wearing garbage on their heads.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
They're plasticky and dead-eyed but that's the case for most videogame character models. Kid Aloy's hair is also huge and weird.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly there wasn't a single face in that game that didn't give off major uncanny valley vibes

DreamRunner

Banned
Sep 14, 2020
You should see them move and emote. It's terrifying shit. Not obviously terrifying like a Bloodborne monster. A deeper, more unsettling terror.

And I find it bizzare cause I actually really like most of the adult models. Especially Aloy.
Have you seen a real child before? These look like demon spawns
Maybe they look weird in motion, but from the pics posted in the OP, they look fine.

nano

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Same, even made a screenshot when I first played it because they looked so off:

ay8OkQ4.jpg

I think the boy in the example looks okayish, but young Aloy is so weird.

Oct 25, 2017
You should see them move and emote. It's terrifying shit. Not obviously terrifying like a Bloodborne monster. A deeper, more unsettling terror.

And I find it bizzare cause I actually really like most of the adult models. Especially Aloy.
Yeah, the people that don't see anything wrong would be the first to die in an horror movie

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
If these look bad to you 99% of other games should give you the same reaction. Kids are an afterthought in most games.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I feel like a lot of times adult models are used as a template and then scaled down. That doesn't turn out to be great most of the times.

Cyberpunk is another one with terrible children models/animation/faces.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Looks weird as hell, but the children in Valhalla are nightmare fuel.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
QO1t09O.gif

HZD suffers from the exact same issue as games like Mass Effect and The Outer Worlds. As soon as you talk to NPCs it's like..

tenor.gif

Combined with some of the slightly odd character designs it can occasionally make the stuff of nightmares.

Deleted member 20471

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I can't tell exactly what it is, but there's something wrong with "child Aloy", it's creepy as fuck

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
Children almost always look strange in games, I'm guessing it's because less time is spent on them and designers have overall less experience making them.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I don't even think most of the adults look all that great. There's a LOT of variation in quality between the character models that got a ton of effort and the ones that didn't, and all of them are wearing garbage on their heads.

Loool Are you talking about their hair rendering. Yeah it's not the best.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think this topic needs expanding out to why do children in all games look like they belong In a resident evil game? Lol. Seriously. They all look, sound and/or animate so weird.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I think they look ok.

Valhalla on the other hand lol

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
There is something about their heads, they come across as too big for their bodies. And their hair seems to be floating on top of their heads, almost like wigs... probably something to do with the shadows not being detailed enough.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They don't look bad by any stretch but I also have found HZDs characters to be a little weird.

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018

I was replaying Mass Effect Andromeda recently and they're animated better than most characters from that.

If they're terrible, it'd be compared to the likes of Ellie? Kid from the last guardian? Clementine? Jack Marston is probably the gold standard for open world games.