• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
The loading times were only because of the system moving its data faster internally, not because of the discs. They only read 16-25Mbit/s, compared to ~22Mbit/s on a 2x DVD drive like in the PS2. The size of the disc was almost a nonfactor and, if anything, could have hampered it if they didn't push all of the data to the outer edge of the disc and read it inward.
I see. I swear I've read about the smaller form factor allowing for constant disc speed, but a quick Google now didn't give me any info. Oh well, guess I heard it wrong.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Because Nintendo couldn't imagine a situation where you would need more storage on disc because Nintendo games didn't need more storage on disc, and, well, The Nintendo bubble.

Same exact principle as tiny Switch cartridges today. Nintendo makes its decisions based on it's own needs first and third parties will always be an afterthought.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
I see. I swear I've read about the smaller form factor allowing for constant disc speed, but a quick Google now didn't give me any info. Oh well, guess I heard it wrong.
It's a very common statement that hasn't any basis. All of the information from places like Wikipedia says otherwise, as well as the actual testing. If it were the case there wouldn't be games like Tekken Tag, 4 or 5 that load almost instantly. It's down to the tech used and the implementation of it. there were a few launch games in Japan that got reworked a bit for the US release to add anti-aliasing and, at least in a few cases like CvS2, they switched to a DVD and pushed the data to the outside of the disc to help loading times on PS2.

I posted it earlier, but this is worth a read on the subject:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant_angular_velocity

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Why did it take until 18 years after launch for this to become a discussion and for someone to make a video of them sticking a regular sized disc in the Gamecube?

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
It's a very common statement that hasn't any basis. All of the information from places like Wikipedia says otherwise, as well as the actual testing. If it were the case there wouldn't be games like Tekken Tag, 4 or 5 that load almost instantly. It's down to the tech used and the implementation of it. there were a few launch games in Japan that got reworked a bit for the US release to add anti-aliasing and, at least in a few cases like CvS2, they switched to a DVD and pushed the data to the outside of the disc to help loading times on PS2.

I posted it earlier, but this is worth a read on the subject:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant_angular_velocity
Oh, so the gc and Wii did have CAV. At least that I got right. So it should still help seek times, at least.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
The loading times were only because of the system moving its data faster internally, not because of the discs. They only read 16-25Mbit/s, compared to ~22Mbit/s on a 2x DVD drive like in the PS2. The size of the disc, if anything, could have hampered it if they didn't push all of the data to the outer edge of the disc and read it inward.

Thank you! Smaller dvds don't load faster. Heck, at constant spinning speed, the outer edge of regular size DVD is faster than the edge of a smaller sized one. It's simple physics.

Weird so many people think otherwise.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
If the reason was piracy, I kinda wonder why they didn't go with discs larger than standard ones. Especially after the N64 where they experienced first-hand how problematic being at a storage capacity disadvantage could be.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Was such a weird choice.
I remember they packaged a "demo disc" thing with it that the Gamecube couldn't even play. I think it only worked on pc drives.
I took mine back to Kmart thinking it was faulty.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of talk, on forums then, was about the licensing fees to the DVD consortium. If that was true, we didn't know. It wasn't able to play DVDs at a time Sony was making playing DVDs popular.

Fanboyism mutated that into an uncontrollable fire. In hindsight, that recent comment on Nintendo wanting to only make toys seems important. It was purple and had a handle and launched with Luigi's Mansion. It's not for movies, it was for games.

It's why there's no Netflix on the switch. It's not for videos, it's for games. Any requirements they want from Nintendo already didn't make sense. They want to offer toys to play with and they are serious.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
According do dev Burnout 3 was cancelled because GC did not have enough CPU power for it.

it was a little more complicated than that, it was because the GameCube's tranform and lighting units were fixed function and would have needed the CPU to step in to assist.
Whereas the PS2 , which was "weaker" had programmable functions which could step in

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
They were cute and it was pretty jarring after playing GameCube for a while and then going to play something on PS2 and the discs always seems huge in comparison lol

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
If the reason was piracy, I kinda wonder why they didn't go with discs larger than standard ones. Especially after the N64 where they experienced first-hand how problematic being at a storage capacity disadvantage could be.
The reason for that is that the smaller discs were already a standard. They're part of the DVD spec so there were already processes set up for manufacturing them and making them work with standard DVD components such as drives and lasers. The 8cm disc spec is why so many disc trays have that little recessed bit in the middle, which perfectly holds an 8cm disc (which would otherwise be unstable in this kind of tray):

W45DcVPl.png

If they'd made a larger disc they'd have had to spec it themselves and gotten custom pressing machines and drives created.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Full-sized discs do not fit fine.

From the description of the video in the OP:

Edit: A lot of people have been finding this video recently and commenting to say that GameCube doesn't fit standard sized 12cm discs. Of course. That's why I made this video. Someone who could not try it himself kept insisting that I try it in my IcedCube case that is specially-designed to fit full-sized discs.

Full-sized discs absolutely do not fit in the Gamecube.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
If the GameCube could have played DVD's like the PS2, they could have had a much more successful gen.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never owned one but those disks were just the cutest things ever. At the time my take on them going with them instead of regular DVD is to prevent piracy.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The reason for that is that the smaller discs were already a standard. They're part of the DVD spec so there were already processes set up for manufacturing them and making them work with standard DVD components such as drives and lasers. The 8cm disc spec is why so many disc trays have that little recessed bit in the middle, which perfectly holds an 8cm disc (which would otherwise be unstable in this kind of tray):

W45DcVPl.png

If they'd made a larger disc they'd have had to spec it themselves and gotten custom pressing machines and drives created.
Mind blown. So that's what that's for! I thought it was just... there. I never really thought about it too hard. I did have a small dvd once that came with uh...with a bionical toy I think? It was weird. I never did use it because I -thought- I didn't have a special player to play it, lmao.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Mind blown. So that's what that's for! I thought it was just... there. I never really thought about it too hard. I did have a small dvd once that came with uh...with a bionical toy I think? It was weird. I never did use it because I -thought- I didn't have a special player to play it, lmao.
Up until last year or so a lot of devices I bought came with driver installation CDs that were mini CDs for the same reason. There's a pretty obvious reason to need driver discs for, say, a wifi dongle versus something else, these days, but I'm wondering how far we are from having flash drives be cheap and disposable enough that they start including little 64MB drives or something with adapters like that. Or even maybe making it have both where the dongle has a small amount of flash memory on it that is detected as a USB drive before the system loads drivers (in the case of Windows and Mac, at least) and once drivers load it switched itself to wifi mode.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
You can put in a normal size disc, but it's not like the laser can even reach the full size of the disc so idk why it's worth mentioning.

joesiv

Banned
Feb 9, 2018
Not true, you still had to use Nintendo's discs (NR Discs), not standard DVD.
It's been a long time for me, and I wasn't in the build team, but physically they were the same size as DVD's. For some reason I thought they were standard blank disks. Ahh well lol, it was just nice to not have to use the those carts with the big handles lol.

Oh you know what, I'm probably thinking of the PSP dev kits, the ones with wired psp-like device hanging off it. Those used standard DVDs, not UMD's.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's been a long time for me, and I wasn't in the build team, but physically they were the same size as DVD's. For some reason I thought they were standard blank disks. Ahh well lol, it was just nice to not have to use the those carts with the big handles lol.

Oh you know what, I'm probably thinking of the PSP dev kits, the ones with wired psp-like device hanging off it. Those used standard DVDs, not UMD's.

They were still mini-DVD size for Gamecube (Wii had special RVT discs that were full size). The big carts had a harddrive in it, which is fun in its own way :)

And yeah, PSP dev kits use DVDs since there werent any UMD burners. Dev kits could more easily run code over the network compared to a Test kit, but both had DVD drives.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Loading times were a big concern for them. The way GameCube games were read made it so that seek times were at a minimum. I forgot the term but was it constant velocity laser or someting?

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
I remember a friend burning regular DVDs with gamecube ISOs, and cutting them with a scissor to fit. Somehow It worked.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loading times were a big concern for them. The way GameCube games were read made it so that seek times were at a minimum. I forgot the term but was it constant velocity laser or someting?
You're thinking of CLV (constant linear velocity) vs CAV (constant angular velocity).

Constant linear velocity means that the drive speeds up and slows down so that the "line" of ones and zeroes is always passing the laser reader at the same speed.

Constant angular velocity means that the motor is always spinning at the same speed. GameCube and XBox (same year of release) both used CAV drives with the same specs. Picture for a moment, a DVD spinning at 1RPM (one revolution per-minute). That's pretty slow, right? But now picture a DVD the size of the planet Earth spinning at 1RPM. That's faster than a car. Faster than a jet. Faster than a rocket ship. One RPM is unbelievably fast, when you scale it up to that size.

Bigger is faster with CAV. Nintendo tricked you into thinking the opposite was true. They lied (or at least, they misled, and then they shut up and let their fanboys do all the misinformation work for them). Nintendo does that a lot, to cover their frequent "Nintendo" decisions. They deleted the best/biggest/fastest 2/3rds of their XBox-style DVD and kept the worst/smallest/slowest part of the DVD, and their fanboys thanked them for it.

The only thing making GameCube games fast is the fact that they're all tiny, because GameCube games are never capable of being big. An XBox game could choose to be tiny, and it would load faster than GameCube, because they could put all the data on the superior outer edge of the disc. Or maybe they could be big. Or maybe they could put all of their "gameplay" data on the outside of the disc and save the inner rings for movies or high quality audio. On the XBox, you had choices. On GameCube, you had no choice, because Nintendo decided for you that small games should be the only games (and then stuck people with the worst part of the DVD).

ShivUK

Nov 2, 2017
People have pretty much covered it, so all I can really add to the thread is this:

What's an "ass disc" ?

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of want to see the alternate timeline where they did that and GameCube fans in 2019 are misty-eyed with nostalgia for their silly giant analogue discs.
I couldn't have had it's distinctive "cube" shaped look informing it's name in that timeline, it would probably be something like "GamePizza" (delivered to you by Mario). With lovely huge box art. And the streamlined instruction manuals would be moved to the back of the record sleeve.

Analog code definitely feels warmer and richer than coldly digital videogames.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Your video straight up talks about how he has a specially modified case to be able to hold the DVD.

Also, it is a DVD format, just not full sized, and most games didn't need more than the one disc -- those that did easily fit two disks inside of the case.
I do know for a fact, having spoken with developers from this era, that a number of higher profile games intended for GameCube were canned as a result of the low capacity discs. These are games that wouldn't work with a two disc setup either due to the way they're designed. So, in some cases, it was a problem.

joesiv

Banned
Feb 9, 2018
They were still mini-DVD size for Gamecube (Wii had special RVT discs that were full size). The big carts had a harddrive in it, which is fun in its own way :)

And yeah, PSP dev kits use DVDs since there werent any UMD burners. Dev kits could more easily run code over the network compared to a Test kit, but both had DVD drives.
lol, I should just stop talking! It's been too long.

Network builds though, they changed everything! lol

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
I vaguely recall the EA excuse for not porting Burnout 3 being the Gameucbe's diabolical online infrastructure but I may be mixing that up with Starcraft Ghost that ultimately wasn't released anyway.

On the Panasonic Q, they're expensive & made of glass (check eBay, it's a graveyard of broken drives). Mine jammed it's disc tray from sitting on the shelf unused for year.

I do remember rumours (and we're talking just forum conjecture here) way back when about Nintendo trialing whether they could make the GCN's small GODs work in a handheld device.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Their official statement at the time was to keep load times as low as possible, reality is probably that combined with anti piracy (which after the PlayStation is kind of understandable) and control of the market.

Ketchup

Nov 5, 2017
I do know for a fact, having spoken with developers from this era, that a number of higher profile games intended for GameCube were canned as a result of the low capacity discs. These are games that wouldn't work with a two disc setup either due to the way they're designed. So, in some cases, it was a problem.

Having worked in the games industry during this era there's truth in this but also a few other reasons which generally all add up to not making a GC port. Lack of ram was the main thing, whilst the GC had some super fast ram, its main ram pool was smaller than PS2. There's also the fact the machine wasn't really selling after a year and this was the era of 'kiddie nintendo' and 3rd party software really did not shift on the system.

Add that PS2 was the lead platform most of the time and converting to Gamecube required more effort especially when it came to particle and alpha effect stuff (Xbox could just power through things) and you can easily see why publishers wouldn't give the resources to a gamecube port that were required to make a port happen.

I know the games i worked on the GC had barely any resources put towards it which not only meant it was the poorest performing version but also meant the bare minimum got done on it.

Oct 25, 2017
Because Nintendo has to do at least one ass backwards thing every generation otherwise they will explode.
Lots of games ports could have been the best on the GC if not for the dumb mini discs forcing developers to compress video and audio.
To what degree did piracy affect Sony's revenue during the PSX days anyway?
I don't think it affected them at all
If anything I suspect piracy actually helped them push more consoles. The price difference between an original N64 cart and a bootleg PS1 CD was huge back then.
It was publishers and developers that got fucked.