• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's the MC?

• Captain America

Votes: 34 4.1%
  • Iron Man

Votes: 409 49.2%
  • They both are

Votes: 389 46.8%

• Total voters

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is a little... tricky, they both seem to share the role of Protagonist throughout the saga, Tony has a lot of stuff involved but Cap's storylines would have wider consequences on the MCU. Tony was the one who killed Thanos, but it was Cap's ending that closed the door on the entire saga.

So what do you guys think? Who is the true main character of the Infinity Saga?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
None of them to be honest, maybe you could say Tony is the most important because Far From Home is about his legacy, started the MCU and he killed Thanos 2014 like you said.

moonsofvenus_

Aug 16, 2019
I mean, given the end of Infinity War, it seems like Iron Man. almost all of the MCU always came back to "but how does this affect Tony"

You could argue both are, but if that's true then Iron Man is still the primary protagonist and Captain is much more the secondary/ancillary

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Nebula (Who the hell would have predicted that?)

But between Cap and Ironman, I say they were both pretty equal.

Oct 28, 2017
Also Tony did waayyyy more things overall than Cap did to vanquish evil. Saved NY. Took a sword from Thanos through the stomach. Perfected time travel. Created the Infinity Gauntlet. Sacrificed his life when snapping Thanos and his minions from existence. The Avengers literally could not win without Tony. It is no contest

Oct 29, 2017
I say Iron Man has the edge because the Tony adjacent characters (you can argue that even includes Nebula) get more focus than the Rogers adjacent characters, and Iron Man being the one who is connected with Doctor Strange and Guardians plots.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
It's Tony. He started all this shit, and that snap ended it.

Russos have a soft spot for Cap for obvious reasons, and he's clearly a close #2.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Tony is the OG and he's the one with the big sacrifice so him. I love Cap more still, but I predict we will get more cameos of him in later movies.

Cap is the overall main protagonists of the MCU.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Iron Man edges Cap out but I think the Russos did a really admirable job elevating Cap to be as close as possible.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I'd Argue that Tony's arc has been the main thread throughout this chapter of the MCU films, but Cap has been the foundation which the movies have always ultimately come back to.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
In seriousness? Every Marvel movie stars the next Marvel movie; they're giant marketing campaigns.

For the purposes of this thread, though: both.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I see Thor, Iron Man and Captain America as the main characters since they fought Thanos before the other heroes showed up, but Tony Stark only has a trilogy like those two so I technically don't see him as the main character, certainly the most important.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said both. It's just easier. RDJ is a more popular actor and probably gets paid more so if that counts then it's Iron Man.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the phases of the MCU have been overwhelmingly focused on Tony Stark.

Even when it's not really necessary, he crops up.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
They were both the protagonists but it's hard to argue against the fact that Stark is the most in depth character of the two. Cap doesn't have a lot of character growth throughout the series he kinda just is naturally on the "good" side, doesn't ever need to really deal with the consequences of his actions and punches his way through everything.

Tony is a person and the series addresses this at every turn. He feels bad about their fuck ups in a way Cap never does. He fears both for his own life and the life of his loved ones in a way that few of the other characters ever do (his own life in particular.) He tries to help up and comers like Spiderman and feels it personally when that backfires.

Oct 26, 2017
More revolved around Tony. But Captain America was the heart of it all. Tony's heartfelt moments always felt a little....forced to me? I dunno.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing it fast and loose here, but Iron Man = Big Boss, Cap = Solid Snake. Tony starts shit, Cap's gotta fight through all of it, but unlike Big Boss Tony ended it.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
They were both the protagonists but it's hard to argue against the fact that Stark is the most in depth character of the two. Cap doesn't have a lot of character growth throughout the series he kinda just is naturally on the "good" side, doesn't ever need to really deal with the consequences of his actions and punches his way through everything.

Tony is a person and the series addresses this at every turn. He feels bad about their fuck ups in a way Cap never does. He fears both for his own life and the life of his loved ones in a way that few of the other characters ever do (his own life in particular.) He tries to help up and comers like Spiderman and feels it personally when that backfires.

This is exactly where I am. Cap had Peggy, who never shows up again, and Barnes. Maybe Sam/Falcon if you're being generous but we all know they didn't do the work to justify this relationship. But Iron Man? He has everyone.

The Infinity Saga is about the the resurfacing of infinity stones and a group of exceptional humans / beings battling to protect earth / the nine realms from those stones being misused. The leader of that group of exceptional beings is Tony Stark.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People lost their shit when cap showed up in IW or used mjoll
Tony was just there, his presence had weight for sure, but still
It's both

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tony and Steve were equally the main characters.

You can't claim it was just Tony given the amount of effort put into Steve's arc, from lifting Mjolnir and telling the Avengers to assemble, to finally getting his happy ending with Peggy.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly where I am. Cap had Peggy, who never shows up again, and Barnes. Maybe Sam/Falcon if you're being generous but we all know they didn't do the work to justify this relationship. But Iron Man? He has everyone.

The Infinity Saga is about the the resurfacing of infinity stones and a group of exceptional humans / beings battling to protect earth / the nine realms from those stones being misused. The leader of that group of exceptional beings is Tony Stark.
Stark is virtually everything in the MCU, but the one thing he isn't is a leader. He can make decisions, sure, but he cannot lead.

Nah, leadership is what Captain America is all about.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Both, although Tony had more of an effect on the story and it's beats.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Going by the question as asked, Tony without a doubt. Avengers was a good bit Ironman, especially the start, people called it Ironman 2.5 at the time. Age of Ultron also had a Tony focus. It built off Ironman 3 to a degree. Cap's stuff for the most part, as shown, mainly had effects in the movies in his trilogy. Of course except for Civil War.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The Infinity Saga is about the the resurfacing of infinity stones and a group of exceptional humans / beings battling to protect earth / the nine realms from those stones being misused. The leader of that group of exceptional beings is Tony Stark

This is a weird take. Steve has a strong relationship with Bucky, Peggy, Sam, Nat, Fury, and Tony. And he's got just as many surface level relationships with other characters as Tony does.

The entire nucleus of the franchise is Steve and Tony's relationship with one another. I don't get calling Tony the only clear leader when even he concedes leadership to Steve on multiple occasions (from "call it, Cap" in Avengers onward).

Captain America is 1b) of the Infinity Saga at worst.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
People lost their shit when cap showed up in IW or used mjoll
Tony was just there, his presence had weight for sure, but still
It's both
That's more because they had to make sure their bias looked good no matter what. If the Avengers movies were still directed by someone not tied to a certain character already that probably wouldn't be the case or at least it would be spread to all the Avengers. They've done a disservice to Tony's journey since AoU, except for Homecoming. But if people are talking about who the leader is, it's not Tony, by his own admission to Maria in AoU. Even he said Steve is the leader.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Tony and Steve were equally the main characters.

You can't claim it was just Tony given the amount of effort put into Steve's arc, from lifting Mjolnir and telling the Avengers to assemble, to finally getting his happy ending with Peggy.
There was no real build up or arc leading towards those things. They were just moments they threw in to the last movie because it was his last movie and they hadn't done it yet. Cap didn't do anything to become worthy between Age of Ultron and Endgame. He didn't become more of a leader to the Avengers in any way. He was already a complete character off the bat.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was no real build up or arc leading towards those things

There was no buildup to Steve lifting Mjolnir (he was always capable of lifting it, he declined to do so in Ultron)? There was no buildup to him going from a man out of time who was a simple soldier to having his own ideals once he realized the institution he put his trust in was built on lies? There was no buildup to him standing at the head of the Avengers roster, as the man heading the last defense of the universe when he was ready to do so completely on his own minutes before? There was no overall arc to him getting his last dance with Peggy?

Are you serious?