• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
And don't say "no one," because the XFL is happening whether you like it or not.

ECggntpXkAAv2Nx.jpg

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Assuming the XFL ever goes anywhere (it won't) - I could easily see 2K taking it up. They've already got the WWE contract, and are probably hungry to get a football game to market.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
idk how licensing/property management works for sports games. Or in general. But if EA develops both the NFL and the WWE games... I have a hunch EA's gonna be helming the project

Cess007

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
What is XLF?

Googling it only brings me to a lot of financial sites/info

Edit. Nevermind. LMAO, is XFL, not XLF. That explains it.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Why is it mandatory that a game will be made about it? It seems so small to deserve a AAA game based off it.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Only NetherRealms has both the understanding of arcade-y football styles and will be able to do justice to the animation of seeing someone's spine snap because the game doesn't have a fair catch system

GART9000

Feb 23, 2019
2Ks already got the WWE license. Could probably barter some sort of deal (even though they're technically two differently run entities)

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
If they're going to "capitalize" off of it, it better be well into development. Kind of pointless to release a game a year after it closes shop.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
If they're going to "capitalize" off of it, it better be well into development. Kind of pointless to release a game a year after it closes shop.
It would actually be hilarious if 2K started development on the game, didn't finish before the league went bust, then just bought the name outright.

XFL already sounds like some 90s videogame futuresports bullshit, might as well lean into it.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

I dunno, maybe it's that I'm not familiar with Backbreaker enough but I understood that to be more of a serious sim than Blitz was (or at least more 'realistic' in the sense that BeamNG.drive has an elaborate physics system). I say arcadey mainly because this is football as envisioned by a wrestling promoter, and so I'm on the side of assuming the XFL has, like, a writing staff.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I dunno, maybe it's that I'm not familiar with Backbreaker enough but I understood that to be more of a serious sim than Blitz was (or at least more 'realistic' in the sense that BeamNG.drive has an elaborate physics system). I say arcadey mainly because this is football as envisioned by a wrestling promoter, and so I'm on the side of assuming the XFL has, like, a writing staff.
Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like they're scripting matches. Rather, this is Vince assuming the rest of America is as racist as he is, and are all ready to jump ship on the NFL because of the anthem thing.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
If the XFL lasts more than one year, 2K Sports will make the game. They already have WWE, and are probably excited to work on football.

Vince will have 4 wars on 2 fronts. WWE and AEW for wrestling and the eventual AEW games, and XFL and NFL plus the video games.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Why not Neverrealm? What better way to take another crack at Blitz with original Midway leadership, without going through the rights juggle of EA or whoever?

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like they're scripting matches. Rather, this is Vince assuming the rest of America is as racist as he is, and are all ready to jump ship on the NFL because of the anthem thing.

It's a shame. They could sell this as a(nother) soap opera for dudes -- think Breaking Bad meets Friday Night Lights.

That said, I do think you're right and that they intend to play this stuff straight, but it's harder to make good and funny posts about that. The good news, I suppose, is that since they are, we won't have to talk about it for too long.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Why not Neverrealm? What better way to take another crack at Blitz with original Midway leadership, without going through the rights juggle of EA or whoever?

The XFL isn't trying to be this outrageous league like they were last time around so I doubt they would want a Blitz like game.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's a shame. They could sell this as a(nother) soap opera for dudes -- think Breaking Bad meets Friday Night Lights.

That said, I do think you're right and that they intend to play this stuff straight, but it's harder to make good and funny posts about that. The good news, I suppose, is that since they are, we won't have to talk about it for too long.
I absolutely agree. Under smarter leadership, a WWE-sponsored sports program could be legitimately excellent. Alter the rules to set up huge hits, miracle catches, and unbelievable physical achievements in every match. Focus on the off-field drama as well as the on-field, and build up characters & narrative under the guise of athletic competition.

There's plenty of people who appreciate the concept of pro wrestling (physical theatrics + athletic drama) but just can't stand the vibe & wrestling itself. Slap what works into a new story mold, and you've got a hit.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Blizzard. It'll be either that or they sue the league for straight up ripping off the LA Renegades

Dallas-Renegades-XFL-Esports.jpg

Pretty sure 2K gets first right of refusal since they also do the WWE games. Hey look, Visual Concepts can make a football game again!