• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheBeardedDM

May 30, 2019
I see, thanks for the reply!
The Medium is gonna be a big surprise. Bloober is really delivering it this time. I kinda really enjoyed both Observer (can't wait for the "remastered") and Blair Witch (I consider it as some indie-cult-like as Amnesia or Outlast).
Troy Baker is the monster's voice actor and he nailed it. Check out the last story trailer uploaded on YT!

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
There is still loads of time for MS to announce 2021 games. FYI Everwild was not CG.

Of course there is time. Just saying, it's weird that they would announce stuff from 2022 instead of something that would be ready earlier. Especially with Halo being delayed you would think they would at least come out and be like but don't worry, we have this other big game coming soon!

Boxxy

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Has that ever been the case?

Last launch, yeah. I vividly remember people arguing over the amount of foliage in GTAV compared to PS4, and those initial CoD comparisons.

Xbox 720p was a thing, even when good looking software could've been the convo (Titanfall, for instance).

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
No its not. The switch is not the same as the XSX by a long shot. And its a ridiculous comparison. They have massive 1st party games XSX does not right now.

Cyberpunk is everywhere. I said 3rd party for a reason. We're talking first party and launch/launch window And what shows off the power of the console.
You asked why people are handwaving the lacking first-party support at launch. It's because there are massive games launching with these consoles giving Xbox players more than enough to play.

How much money and time are you expecting people to spend on these consoles during the launch window?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
You asked why people are handwaving the lacking first-party support at launch. It's because there are massive games launching with these consoles giving Xbox players more than enough to play.

How much money and time are you expecting people to spend on these consoles during the launch window?
People still want something as a show piece on their console. That was supposed to be halo.

TheBeardedDM

May 30, 2019
We are forgetting about something else coming in the launch window
- Second Extinction (the turok like coop dinosaur shooter, launch this month on PC and later on XSX/S)
- Call of The Sea ( the lovecraftian toonish adventure game)
- DQ XI S d1 in Game Pass

Expect something big to join GamePass

Btw don't forget Stalker 2 as well for 2021.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If one doesn't see Game Pass as a selling point, there's literal validation from none other than Sony.

They give Plus members 18 free games with system purchase. Why would they, when they have Demon's Souls, Spider-Miles, Sackboy? Shouldn't the fact that your platform has brand new, exclusive, AAA games be enough?

(I'm totally getting those 18 free games)

Hawkeye 131

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Honesty, as someone who's been gaming on Xbox since the original console it's the single biggest letdown and main reason I will most likely be jumping ship to Playstation for this new generation.

IMO, Microsoft still hasn't learned one of, if not the single most important lesson from last generation. You can have the most powerful console with all the bells and whistles (4K, 8K, 120 FPS etc...) however, at the end of the day it's good exclusive titles that bring people to your platform and keep them there. I genuinely believe Microsoft has completely failed in this regard.

It's been very frustrating to see Microsoft spend far too much time and resources bragging about how powerful the Series X is, placing way too much emphasis on the console (their entire next-generation marketing strategy revolves around the tagline "the fastest, most powerful Xbox ever") instead of focusing on and ensuring they have a strong launch lineup with good exclusive titles.

Microsoft's current first party launch lineup is an absolute disaster, easily the weakest we've ever seen. The other thing that really bothers me is the overwhelming reliance on Halo, Gears and Forza. I was never into Forza so after I lost interest in Halo and Gears there's really not much else. Microsoft has not produced anything that's generated the same level of excitement or anticipation as new entry in those franchises use to. I lost interest in Halo after 5 and I felt Gears ran it's course after 3 and Microsoft hasn't produced a single noteworthy first-party IP in what feels like eons.

So they can continue to market how powerful it is, how fast and quiet it is, how well it runs BC games etc... Until they get their act together and start to produce good exclusives again, I'm out.

Perhaps in 2-3 years when we begin to see the fruit of their studio acquisitions but at this point I have a hard time seeing why people are so eager to pre-order.

JomanC137

Oct 27, 2017
For all the flak people give to Sony for "believing in generations", the feeling of next gen isn't there with the Series X and even less with the series S, new hardware is pointless if no new games show off the shiny hardware.
BC, Gamepass and third parties are small reasons to switch your console, specially when:
A) Nintendo has a cheap, hybrid family friendly console with incredibly strong software
B) Sony has a new console with strong hardware, shiny new games and also BC, PS Now and the PS+ collection (which is in my opinion, a better value than gamepass if you are new to Playstation)

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
If one doesn't see Game Pass as a selling point, there's literal validation from none other than Sony.

They give Plus members 18 free games with system purchase. Why would they, when they have Demon's Souls, Spider-Miles, Sackboy? Shouldn't the fact that your platform has brand new, exclusive, AAA games be enough?

(I'm totally getting those 18 free games)
What's pretty true. Plus 19 with astrobot

Oct 27, 2017
It is strange Because they clearly planned to have two SKUs at launch and put a lot of research into next gen but didn't prep devs in 2017-18 to start making titles for holiday 2020.

Sony clearly did that sometime in 2018 since we're getting Miles Morales, Demon Souls, Sackboy, Astro's Playroom, and Destruction All Stars all day 1. And with Ratchet in "launch window" (Feb? March?) Sony is clearly more prepared game wise.

Halo delay is unfortunate but it's strange that Xbox didn't have 1-2 smaller first party games that were Next gen only ready for the launch imo

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Btw i'm pretty much confident, considering that Ubisoft moved Valhalla's D1 to November 10 and it is confirmed launching D1 in Amazon Luna, we gonna have AC D1 in GamePass

That's not going to happen. They would have announced it by now. I'm also pretty sure Ubisoft has never even put a game on Game Pass.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Not sure about the bolded. Performance will be impossible to distinguish. Loading on PS5 will be faster and general snappyness of any feature that uses SSD/IO.
We already see games targeting 1440p at 60fps on the PS5. All we know thus far is that Microsoft is targeting 4K at that frame rate.

I also think way too much is made about load times and SSD I/O on here. The only people designing games to take full advantage of it will first party or those making PS5 exclusives. Everyone else will quite possibly have a lower PC spec because sales.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
No its not. The switch is not the same as the XSX by a long shot. And its a ridiculous comparison. They have massive 1st party games XSX does not right now.

Cyberpunk is everywhere. I said 3rd party for a reason. We're talking first party and launch/launch window And what shows off the power of the console.

Everwild didnt know what kind of game it wanted to be.
Launch window is a four to six month period in a generation. Microsoft messed launch, but with 23 studios, some multi game, they will be more than fine.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
It is strange Because they clearly planned to have two SKUs at launch and put a lot of research into next gen but didn't prep devs in 2017-18 to start making titles for holiday 2020.

Sony clearly did that sometime in 2018 since we're getting Miles Morales, Demon Souls, Sackboy, Astro's Playroom, and Destruction All Stars all day 1. And with Ratchet in "launch window" (Feb? March?) Sony is clearly more prepared game wise.

Halo delay is unfortunate but it's strange that Xbox didn't have 1-2 smaller first party games that were Next gen only ready for the launch imo

Bethesda purchase makes a lot more sense when you look at it like that.

Oh, well. It's all good anyway. Cyberpunk is the Fall's get out of jail free card for everyone

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if Halo would have worked out for launch, we would not have this thread. MS was clearly banking on it. With it gone, they have no choice but to massively push Gamepass. Which seems to be working.

Oct 27, 2017
Bethesda purchase makes a lot more sense when you look at it like that.

Oh, well. It's all good anyway. Cyberpunk is the Fall's get out of jail free card for everyone
Yeah for sure the studios they've acquired the last few years hopefully mean we won't go thru first party droughts like this again. I'm hopeful at least.

That said, CP2077 isn't even on my radar. There are so many great games this fall/holiday, but I certainly will get it on sale sometime in 21

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I don't know how much it'll matter in the long run, but I'm surprised I find myself more apprehensive than most. Much like PlayStation's refusal to be clearer sooner about system stuff, I find it peculiar that Xbox has been that on the game front.

As a Halo fan I'm thrilled 343 is getting more time. However, it's not lost on me that Xbox strongly considered launching a rough, presumably unfinished game at launch knowing next-gen hype would make it sell. And the promise of Halo as a platform juxtaposed with what we saw of the game felt very Anthem/BioWare-y.

The fact that they waited to actually blowout the XSX running games until after pre-orders bothered me too. And even then it's just games media people showing me what Red Dead looks like through backwards compatibility. Even now what have we seen that's new and first-party? Stuff I've played on XB1 and PC ain't it.

I think Game Pass is and will continue to be a great deal. But it's October and I haven't seen a new first-party game running on actual hardware. And I find the gymnastics Phil does to avoid saying a demo/trailer isn't running on actual Xbox consoles to be off-putting.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Yup.

It seems like damn near from top to bottom, Sony and MS had different goals in mind.

JomanC137

Oct 27, 2017
We already see games targeting 1440p at 60fps on the PS5. All we know thus far is that Microsoft is targeting 4K at that frame rate.

I also think way too much is made about load times and SSD I/O on here. The only people designing games to take full advantage of it will first party or those making PS5 exclusives. Everyone else will quite possibly have a lower PC spec because sales.

The difference in I/O and SSD speed is greater than the 2TF difference between both.
It's easier to notice the faster loading times and the implications of filling a whole 16GB of GDDR5 in 1 second than the resolution difference in comparison videos

And 2TF isn't enough to go from 1440p to 4K. Series X being the best way to play multiplatforms sound like forum PR

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
But the Switch already has an established library of games. If the Switch was just launching and we didn't know what games they would be releasing, do you think it would be breaking sales records?
When the Switch launched we didn't know which games would be releasing! LOL. It launched with pretty much one game - BotW. And it did fine its first year but really kicked into overdrive the second year.

And the Switch did not have the perk of BC. The XSX does. It will play all Xbox One games and it is getting new games this year. Next year isn't fully in view, but it's fine. It will come into view after launch. And again, at least one or two of the Sony games will get pushed to 2022. Microsoft is likely just being cautious because they don't want to have to deal with another delay after Halo.

It'll be fine. It's launching in the holiday season. It will sell out through 2020. If Microsoft paints a picture for 2021 early next year it will be fine. Nintendo's strategy of announcing and releasing games so close together has worked out really well for them. Sony likes to announce things way too early and they typically face delays.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
A bit weak but these systems are gonna sell regardless, 6 months from now is when games really matter. Microsoft Flight Simulator port could have been a great next gen processing showcase had that been at launch, Halo Infinite would have been huge but clearly needs more work.

bi0g3n3sis

Banned
Aug 10, 2020
User banned (permanent): Trolling and hostility over a series of posts, junior account, prior infractions for console wars already

All multiplatform games which were announced as 4k/60/120 on XSX are the same on PS5 as well. How in the world you suddenly turned 18% difference into +40% difference between the two? Sorry, but you're straight up delusional.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Other than software I think Microsoft also botched the hardware shipment. How can they ship less than Sony when the demand is supposed to be as high? It may seem like MS is firing on all cylinders but when you think about it they really botched the things that separate consoles from good to great launch.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
The other thing that really bothers me is the overwhelming reliance on Halo, Gears and Forza. I was never into Forza so after I lost interest in Halo and Gears there's really not much else

Microsoft hasn't produced a single noteworthy first-party IP in what feels like eons.

There's no accounting for taste, but I don't get this view. MS certainly haven't found that IP that captures the imagination for years like Halo or Gears did, but they are making interesting moves and have some of the most exciting IPs IMO.

Sea of Thieves alone is one of the most original games to come out in years.

You wider complaint is valid, despite all their claims of knowing that their first party lineup is still a little sparse, and I feel like we've been holding on for 'just another year or two' forever to see the fruits of their internal work and acquisitions.

That said, I'm very confident about what they've built for the future, and am enjoying their current reality immesnely in the meantime.

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, if MS had just two must have games in the next 8 months, I would have bought an Xbox instead of PS5. Overall I think there is more value in that ecosystem. They just need to start showing some exclusive software that are GOTY material.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
All multiplatform games which were announced as 4k/60/120 on XSX are the same on PS5 as well. How in the world you suddenly turned 18% difference into +40% difference between the two? Sorry, but you're straight up delusional.
This, plus some ppl are still hung up on resolution. Interesting, lol.

Are those multiplatform games gonna go back and get redone to 1440p the PS5? Even if they did....I don't think some ppl quite realize what that might mean.

Some ppl are not gonna be able to handle this upcoming gen....

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
First party is unimpressive for launch window (unlike every previous Xbox imo) but it's understandable with the current situation globally. And MS holding the $60 pricepoint themselves is a good move at least that I think isn't acknowledged enough.

Vasto

May 26, 2019
They botched 'software for launch' because they don't have any. It's basically Gears Tactics... and that's about it.

It's a lesson learned about putting all your eggs in one basket in the case of Halo Infinite because when it fell through, so did the entire appeal of the exclusive launch line-up.

Then why is the system sold out?

There is no lesson learned. We got 23 studios making games for our console. They will come when the are ready. Series X is owning the media right now and that's with out even showing next gen gameplay or 1st party. People invest in consoles for the generation, not launch day.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
When the Switch launched we didn't know which games would be releasing! LOL. It launched with pretty much one game - BotW. And it did fine its first year but really kicked into overdrive the second year.

And the Switch did not have the perk of BC. The XSX does. It will play all Xbox One games and it is getting new games this year. Next year isn't fully in view, but it's fine. It will come into view after launch. And again, at least one or two of the Sony games will get pushed to 2022. Microsoft is likely just being cautious because they don't want to have to deal with another delay after Halo.

It'll be fine. It's launching in the holiday season. It will sell out through 2020. If Microsoft paints a picture for 2021 early next year it will be fine. Nintendo's strategy of announcing and releasing games so close together has worked out really well for them. Sony likes to announce things way too early and they typically face delays.
"It launched with pretty much one game (BotW)" You mean the game many regard as one of the greatest video games in history? lol come on you are making my point here. That is what you call a system seller. And its a beloved franchise that transcends hardcore gamers. If Microsoft at least launched with Halo they wouldn't be getting anywhere near as much flack. There is just no way to compare Switch and Xbox. Also, isn't the announce and drop same day situation Nintendo is doing something that only started recently? I don't remember this being something they were doing when the Switch launched. I'm pretty sure we had an idea of some of the games coming to the console down the line.

Sony has stopped announcing things early ever since they were getting flack for their previous games years ago for doing that. Over the last couple of years they have mostly stuck to announcing games that are much closer to release. How in the world can we be saying Sony likes to announce things early when all the games they announced are at least targeting 2021 while Microsoft literally just has CG trailers of games? What world am i in lolol.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
gremlinz is always on about saying things incorrectly. It's an art at this point. Ask him about his native 4k beliefs if you want a good laugh. Please don't

Then why is the system sold out?

There is no lesson learned. We got 23 studios making games for our console. They will come when the are ready. Series X is owning the media right now and that's with out even showing next gen gameplay or 1st party. People invest in consoles for the generation, not launch day.
I hate to break the bad news. But every system sells out on launch. That is not a good talking point. Maybe in 6 months from now you can look at sales. But saying this really is inconclusive.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, at the same time you have the original Halo which saved the original Xbox.

For the Xbox fan base, Halo is a system seller.

I'm not doubting that. But prior to Halo 1, Halo's release was also, an unknown quantity, and yet it still had a lot of excitement surrounding it. Resistance was the same, often even touted as a Halo killer, for the PS3.

Of course when it actually released, people saw it was a great, but not perfect game. Not quite as good as the 360s own Halo 3 which released a little later, but nevertheless, at the time, it was something exciting for Playstation players to get behind. Having that there at launch is a big deal, I think.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
We had a full list of launch titles and launch window titles a month before Switch launch. From Nintendo, Switch launched with BotW, 1-2 Switch and Snipperclips, with Mario Kart coming a month later. Every month after that Nintendo had a first-party game scheduled. They were very prepared for their launch, game-wise, compared to this.

But...development happens, pandemic happens. Microsoft was ready to release Halo, with next-gen graphics coming later as a patch, but got a LOT of flack over it, so decided to delay the game instead.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not worried about it. I went PS4 first this gen and felt there was fuck all for me for the first year beyond third party offerings. Like the PS4 ended up, X will be fine. We have way better third party titles to to hold us over as well this time out (to me). Seemingly.

Jan 20, 2019

That is funny, because Microsoft show just annouanced a buch of CG games.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Of course there is time. Just saying, it's weird that they would announce stuff from 2022 instead of something that would be ready earlier. Especially with Halo being delayed you would think they would at least come out and be like but don't worry, we have this other big game coming soon!
They might still. There isn't some arbitrary deadline that they have to adhere to.

Vasto

May 26, 2019
gremlinz is always on about saying things incorrectly. It's an art at this point. Ask him about his native 4k beliefs if you want a good laugh. Please don't

I hate to break the bad news. But every system sells out on launch. That is not a good talking point. Maybe in 6 months from now you can look at sales. But saying this really is inconclusive.

This train cant be stopped. That is the lesson being learned.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'll tell you one thing, software can always be fixed... Hardware can't. I'm more than happy that they've clearly Nailed the hardware and we can all enjoy some amazing games on it I'm sure.

Imagine if they had buggered the hardware like last time lol.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
The difference in I/O and SSD speed is greater than the 2TF difference between both.
It's easier to notice the faster loading times and the implications of filling a whole 16GB of GDDR5 in 1 second than the resolution difference in comparison videos

And 2TF isn't enough to go from 1440p to 4K. Series X being the best way to play multiplatforms sound like forum PR
Every single GPU that has had processing and bandwidth advantage has performed better. Wont be different next gen.
Demon's Souls.
Miles Morales.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
They botched 'software for launch' because they don't have any. It's basically Gears Tactics... and that's about it.

It's a lesson learned about putting all your eggs in one basket in the case of Halo Infinite because when it fell through, so did the entire appeal of the exclusive launch line-up.
I think the lesson to be learned is the first-party launch lineups don't really matter when you have awesome hardware, awesome services, and awesome third party games.

Gjallarsean

Oct 10, 2018
People still want something as a show piece on their console. That was supposed to be halo.

Sure! It's definitely a bit of a bummer to not have that as a showpiece. But let's also stop acting like this is going to doom, or even seriously hurt the console going forward.

Xbox One and PS4 had showpiece next-gen titles at launch...and nobody cares about them. I mean, Ryse: Son of Rome and Killzone: Shadow Fall aren't exactly games that have stood the test of time.

Now, if we sit here a year from now, and there still aren't some shiny, next-gen first party games to play, then yeah, it's gonna be a bad look. But let's pump the brakes here a bit.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Sure! It's definitely a bit of a bummer to not have that as a showpiece. But let's also stop acting like this is going to doom, or even seriously hurt the console going forward.

Xbox One and PS4 had showpiece next-gen titles at launch...and nobody cares about them. I mean, Ryse: Son of Rome and Killzone: Shadow Fall aren't exactly games that have stood the test of time.

Now, if we sit here a year from now, and there still aren't some shiny, next-gen first party games to play, then yeah, it's gonna be a bad look. But let's pump the brakes here a bit.
It's not doom. Xbox has a very bright future.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
What is the reason for announcing games from 2022 or beyond if you have games releasing sooner that you haven't announced?
I don't know but it happens alllll the time. For example, how many games have been announced and have released since Cyberpunk was announced? Plenty of games have short announcement-to-release timeframes. The Forza games typically announce and release on the same year. Bethesda seem to favour it as well.

I'll tell you one thing, software can always be fixed... Hardware can't. I'm more than happy that they've clearly Nailed the hardware and we can all enjoy some amazing games on it I'm sure.

Imagine if they had buggered the hardware like last time lol.
Agreed. The hardware sets the foundation for the generation, and MS have nailed it on that front.

Their 23+ teams are not sitting there twiddling their thumbs, so the games will come.