• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thread title

• Kingdom hearts

Votes: 1,011 80.4%
  • Metal Gear

Votes: 163 13.0%
  • Others

Votes: 84 6.7%

• Total voters

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I remember Kingdom Hearts actually being reasonably straight forward to understand when I had pretty much played every single one of them back to back, with some light googling / recap after each game.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear imo out of those two, like where Big Boss kills a
105 year old man Zero and makes a big deal out of it and says it's the only way to stop the cycle. He's 105 year old. He's going to die soon anyway..

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
To those Kingdom Hearts fans who think Metal Gear is more convoluted, my rebuttal would be 'Xehanort'.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Kingdom Hearts isn't complicated if you play all of the games.
bullshit-final-fantasy.gif

I don't get why KH fans keep insisting that if you play everything the story makes sense as if it's not full of contrivances, asspulls, and a deluge of deus ex machinas. It genuinely doesn't have a single ounce of consistency regarding how it's universe works and that's what makes it convoluted. And that's BEFORE you get into how the story is actually delivered to you, the viewer. Y'all sound like Annie from that episode of community:

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts hasn't introduced zombies yet have they?

I forgot Metal Gear Survive is technically canon.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It's BlazBlue.

KH is silly and extremely poorly told as it goes on, but basically everything is easy to understand and made clear, even if the rules of its world are weird. It's one of those where unless you're skipping like every non-numbered entry or going in with the mindset of "I'm not going to attempt to understand it", you'd have to be pretty damn stupid to get through all the main games and not have any idea what's going on lol.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Kingdom Hearts was what came to mind though FFVII and the Remake are starting to look similar… maybe it can take over when part 2 launches in 2027.

Harmonius

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Kingdom Hearts is batcrap insanity, but it's at least consistently that and follows that. MGS is spy nonsense, so it's fine?

It's Warcraft to me right now, where the current expansion has basically revealed that every single event of note in 10,000 years has been a 5D Gigabrain Chess move by a character we never met who was able to manipulate everything despite being locked up in TurboHell.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I did immediately think of Metal Gear when I saw the thread title, but I definitely switched to Kingdom Hearts when I saw mention of it in the OP. I really don't even know the details of the story, but the numbering scheme for the Kingdom Hearts games is complete bullshit, and I have to imagine that the story would be harder to follow by default solely because of the numbering scheme.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has played through both series, it's Kingdom Hearts.

I can't rule out there being something more convoluted out there, however.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
i tried to play kingdom hearts 3 on game pass thinking it would be fun to explore some of the disney worlds and when it started playing the fourth or fifth into video i was just like

200.gif

I was laughing so hard when I started playing it. Each subsequent clip made me more confused and alienated, and I think I made it like 3 minutes into actual gameplay. KH fans my heart is with you all

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
"if you played the kingdom hearts games in order, it's not confusing"

tumblr_33caa6fa2d9060d1ebf32b7f13a3bf38_59ae975d_1280.png
Brutalsavagerekt.gif

I'm pretty open to gaming opinions from all corners. Even so "kingdom hearts is sensible, actually" is one that I just can't empathize with no matter how many angles I approach it from.

Opinions can never be factually incorrect by their nature, but that particular one is really pushing it.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
how are people writing Halo

Some of it may be hidden in books or poorly presented but the poll has kingdom hearts. C'mon now

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Blazblue is the actual answer, but most people have rightfully ever experienced that clusterfuck.

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
Casual Answer: KH

Actual Answer: Blazblue

KH does make sorta sense up to a certain point (mostly DDD). Then it jumps the shark and goes off the rails.
Also doesn't help the story itself is pretty poorly told.

Blazblue I had no idea about until earlier this year...I couldn't even begin to make heads or tails of it.

Kingdom Hearts hasn't introduced zombies yet have they?

They pop up in KH2 as part of PotC's world.
Otherwise...Heartless/Nobodies sorta function as zombies? (Well, Heartless can steal other people's hearts and make more Heartless at least. Plus it seems like it's SUPER hard to actually kill somebody in KH since they can split off into a Heartless/Nobody, but the story is really inconsistent about that.)

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
I can probably explain MGS' story just off the top of my head.
When it comes to kingdom hearts my head changes into overdrive and comes up with blank.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I will die on the hill that Kingdom Hearts only really gets confusing in Dream Drop Distance and beyond. That time travel was some bullshit. 1 to BBS though? Completely understandable and you just weren't paying attention if you didn't get it. There, I said it!

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I will die on the hill that Kingdom Hearts only really gets confusing in Dream Drop Distance and beyond. That time travel was some bullshit. 1 to BBS though? Completely understandable and you just weren't paying attention if you didn't get it. There, I said it!

Absolutely agree.

I was in the camp of "you just need to play the games, and you're fine" until DDD.
But DDD is a contrived mess and in my opinion it has damaged the entire series. It was a game that I honestly didn't fully understand even after 2 playthroughs. KH3 more or less cleared things up but the story developments that came from DDD were simply not good and feels like KH3 would have been better without them.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Why do people come so hard for Kingdom Hearts?
Feels like there's a thread to criticize it every other day here.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Kingdom Hearts makes perfect sense though lol....

Thread full of people who played 3 of the games, clearly

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I don't think Kingdom Hearts is confusing but it is convoluted. Also I forget details if I've not played for a while and that certainly makes things hard to follow.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
I would say both Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear are messy and convoluted (and also bad)

But I think with most Metal Gear games there is a basic throughline of that games plot that can at least be grasped even with all the bullshit weaving into and around it but the KH nonsense is so deeply embedded in almost every aspect of the story

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Pre-MGS4 Metal Gear makes sense and isn't even that convoluted.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
it absolutely is convoluted however.

I'd argue that someone going through the games nowadays, with how accessible they are, can relatively easily trace their way through the game's story.

As they were releasing, its convoluted nature was amplified by the fact that most people didn't have access to every game lol

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I think the worst thing about the people who defend KH is the constant implication that a bunch of grown ass adults don't understand the story being told. When you know, the issue is that we understand it, and realize that it's laughably bad, delivered in a convoluted way, where you have a prominent actors giving off incredibly poor performances while reading a script that is 90% exposition over characterization, nuance, and any sense that the writers ever had a convo in their life. And how as a franchise it uses quite literally the most convoluted delivery possible to deliver the following theme to the audience: "The power of friendship." You know how Halo 2 has this absolute banger of an introduction that, even if you played the games before it's not at all confusing, has tight pacing, a good script delivered by actors who understood the assignment etc.:

Kingdom Hearts has the exact opposite energy because this is the average KH cutscene:

I choose this one specifically because people use it as an example of a good KH cutscene.

We understand it damn it it's just not good lmao. And our childhood isn't so sacred that we need to defend KH as something more meaningful than a meme when it comes to good storytelling in this medium.

Last edited:

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Halo is easy to understand.

It's the KH and Metal Gear universe. Freaking arm attached to people causing the new person that the arm was attached to, to be taken over? C'mon man.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
I think the worst thing about the people who defend KH is the constant implication that a bunch of grown ass adults don't understand the story being told. When you know, the issue is that we understand it, and realize that it's laughably bad, delivered in a convoluted way, where you have a prominent actors giving off incredibly poor performances while reading a script that is 90% exposition over characterization, nuance, and any sense that the writers ever had a convo in their life. And how as a franchise it uses quite literally the most convoluted delivery possible to deliver the following theme to the audience: "The power of friendship." You know how Halo 2 has this absolute banger of an introduction that, even if you played the games before it's not at all confusing, has tight pacing, a good script delivered by actors who understood the assignment etc.:

I agree on your overall point and I think Halo is easy to understand and not particularly convoluted, but its not fair to compare Kingdom Hearts to the exceptional Blur cutscenes from the remaster. The OG Halo 2 cutscenes are not good. The remaster manages to salvage them through impeccable directing, even though the material itself is pretty substandard.

moeman

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a link to that kingdom hearts YouTube video where the guy is listening to a dialog of unlocking the inner heart beam? That's how I feel with the games lol

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
Definitely Kingdom Hearts over Metal Gear, though I think KH's main problem is that it keeps introducing new ridiculous concepts with each game that pile on top of the previous ridiculous concepts to make an absolute convoluted web of things you need to keep track of.

I've not played it, but from what I understand the correct answer is BlazBlue

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I agree on your overall point and I think Halo is easy to understand and not particularly convoluted, but its not fair to compare Kingdom Hearts to the exceptional Blur cutscenes from the remaster. The OG Halo 2 cutscenes are not good. The remaster manages to salvage them through impeccable directing, even though the material itself is pretty substandard.
Rendering wise they weren't the best but the direction of those scenes, as well as the delivery. Blur didn't reuse all of the storyboards/animatics for shits and giggles. Halo 2's cutscene direction was incredible for the time.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
RE, Halo and even Metal Gear are pretty straightforward, i never felt lost specially with Halo. Kingdom Hearts on the other hand...

Apr 17, 2018

(cut)

We understand it damn it it's just not good lmao. And our childhood isn't so sacred that we need to defend KH as something more meaningful than a meme when it comes to good storytelling in this medium.

The thread is about storylines being convoluted/confusing, though, not well written/directed/acted.
KH's dialogue writing/delivery is abysmal at times, but it is rarely responsible for the plot points that are generally considered convoluted.
So you make decent points, but not on the merit of the discussion.

That said, I don't entirely agree with the rest either: you make it sound like KH fans argue that the plot isn't convoluted or confusing at all, and anybody who thinks so simply doesn't understand it. We don't.
We argue that the plot is not as convoluted as people who only played 3 entries in the series out of 10 describe it to be.
You are free to play all of KH and think it's incomprehensible garbage, but until you do, this point stays valid.
(obviously I don't mean "you" specifically)

And even then, it's fine if you think KH is a laughable meme with nothing meaningful to offer story-wise, but that is still your opinion.
You complain about being patronized ("Ah, they don't like KH. They're probably too lazy/stupid to understand it"), but your final take is just as bad ("Ah, they're defending KH. They probably have no idea what good writing is and are just protecting their childhood).
Like, come on.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
you make it sound like KH fans argue that the plot isn't convoluted or confusing at all, and anybody who thinks so simply doesn't understand it. We don't.
We argue that the plot is not as convoluted as people who only played 3 entries in the series out of 10 describe it to be.
Except that that doesn't cover the majority of people who call it convoluted and are still following the series. It's incredibly convoluted REGARDLESS of whether or not you've engaged with everything. For the average person it's seriously carried by it's gameplay and presentation, (outside of the incredibly stilted cutscenes) and overall premise of being able to play in Disney/Pixar worlds.