• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which of the big three has the best first party?

• Sony

Votes: 1,512 35.4%
  • Nintendo

Votes: 2,675 62.7%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 81 1.9%

• Total voters

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
In my opinion it's been Sony for the past 10 years.

I grew up playing Nintendo since the NES days and moved all the way up to the GameCube. Playing most of their franchises but have since moved on because I see their first party efforts geared as kid games with the exception of the Zelda and Metroid games. All the Mario's, Pokémon's and Donkey Kong's seem a bit childish and that's totally fine but they're simply not for me.

The adult themed nature of Sony's first party games are what cater to my wants and needs in the interactive arts of video games.

NewGuy

Nov 23, 2017
Looking at the poll above Its clear to see that people are pretty satisfied with the number of exclusives that Sony and Nintendo get, but geez Microsoft....Honestly, what does MS got to do to get their exclusive games back?

Also, my vote goes to Nintendo with sony in a very close second.

while Sony has some of the better cinematic console offerings I fell they get trumped by Nintendos smaller in-house titles, things exclusive to the eshop or 3DS. If Sony pushed more for their portable and digital offerings then they'd be number 1.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
Oh this is a November thread. I must've posted in here before. I wonder what I said last time if I did. It's definitely not Microsoft. At this particular moment in time I can't decide between Sony or Nintendo especially since I have no experience with their current gen games.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I can understand that some people have preferences towards the type of video games each company outputs...

...but its no contest.

Nintendo can carry their console's lifetime with their own first-party output and have been doing so from their handheld range to their console range, 64, NGC, Wii and the Wii U.

You can argue that 3rd parties made sales on their handhelds and the Wii... but nobody bought the consoles for the 3rd party games while the average consumer relates and purchases Playstation and Xbox for the new FIFA, CoD, Battlefield, Assasins Creed etc.

Last edited:

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
It's more clear who it is not (Microsoft) than who it is. I know this does not apply to everyone, but I am also not alone in saying the disappointing lack of compelling (to me) MS exclusives has prevented me from ever owning an Xbox, and if they continue that path, I never will own one.

When it comes to who is the best, Nintendo and Sony each specialize in many different things, but where they both excel is consistency and quality. They each have a variety in their own way and put a lot of love and ambition into their experiences.

I voted for Nintendo based on how iconic and essential to gaming history their IP are. But in terms of quality, Sony is always right there next to them.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
It's more clear who it is not (Microsoft) than who it is. I know this does not apply to everyone, but I am also not alone in saying the disappointing lack of compelling (to me) MS exclusives has prevented me from ever owning an Xbox, and if they continue that path, I never will own one.

When it comes to who is the best, Nintendo and Sony each specialize in many different things, but where they both excel is consistency and quality. They each have a variety in their own way and put a lot of love and ambition into their experiences.

I voted for Nintendo based on how iconic and essential to gaming history their IP are. But in terms of quality, Sony is always right there next to them.
Yeah ki d of agree with this. The only caveat I would add that Sony's first party offerings are all quite similar in terms of gameplay with a few subtle differences. Nintendo tend to use their characters for different genres and therefore there is quite a big difference in gameplay between a lot of their offerings. Nintendo wins for me by miles but I do still enjoy Sony's games.

Microsoft has what? Forza, Halo and Gears? Anything else?

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Over 3,800 votes and just 71 for Microsoft. Man, now I'm curious to see how they're going to handle their next system. They're getting murdered on the first-party front.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony's choices are better suited to me. The combination of second-tier whackier titles with AAA action, plus sports: Everybody Golf/MLB/GT/Wipeout.

ueh19

Banned
May 23, 2018
It's really hard to choose for me between Nintendo and Playstation. I buy every Nintendo game and i mostly like them all, except ARMS.
The Playstation exclusive are also all amazing to me, but i feel they are more samey compared to Nintendo, all including some form of climbing for example.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
problem with Nintendo is that they cant keep the pace up as they are smaller compared to sony. last year nintendo was amazing but this they fell flat upto this point.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the poll above Its clear to see that people are pretty satisfied with the number of exclusives that Sony and Nintendo get, but geez Microsoft....Honestly, what does MS got to do to get their exclusive games back?

Invest. Take a look at how many studios Sony owns and then look at Microsoft's. It's difficult to compete when your competitor has what, two-three times as many first party studios as you do?

occ86

Oct 30, 2017
Right now it's obviously either Nintendo or Sony. Both are doing a great job and deserve to be on top of this vote, but personally I will go with Sony.
I don't think they are doing an even better job, but their games are just more suited for me. That's the only reason, really.

Deleted member 59

Nintendo have titles in every genre that i like and have a heavy focus on "fun".

I can't deny the quality of the first party offerings from Sony, but at some point everying started to just lose my interest and even though critically acclaimed, titles like Uncharted 4, Horizon and God of War did nothing for me. Mature, Narrative focused titles with lengthy exposition.

I actually sold my ps4 a couple weeks back and bought an Xbox one x which is surprising as their first party is so weak atm, but hey, multiplats will run better on it!

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I ... just can't decide.

As much as I love Forza, I can't give that point to MS. But between Nintendo and Sony? I definitely play more Nintendo games than Sony games, but ... well ... there are ton of Sony exclusives and while they aren't for me, you can't fault them at delivering (with regard to production values at least).

But I guess the gist of the issue is that I'm just way passed these classification obsessions most people seem to have these days. I mean all three have some very good exclusives. Forza is an amazing racing franchise (and Halo is still a very good competitive FPS). Nintendo is time and again able to deliver games with amazing gameplay. And if you're into "interactive movies", you can't go wrong with Sony.

In a way it feels like comparing apples to oranges, and I fail to see the point in trying to identify a winner besides petty platform wars reasons.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
I can understand that some people have preferences towards the type of video games each company outputs...

...but its no contest.

Nintendo can carry their console's lifetime with their own first-party output and have been doing so from their handheld range to their console range, 64, NGC, Wii and the Wii U.

You can argue that 3rd parties made sales on their handhelds and the Wii... but nobody bought the consoles for the 3rd party games while the average consumer relates and purchases Playstation and Xbox for the new FIFA, CoD, Battlefield, Assasins Creed etc.

How do u mean carry their console? 64, gc and wiiu re among the worst selling platforms of all time.

Layered

May 26, 2018
I personally think Nintendo just because I think they have the most consistent quality and variety. Variety was sparse in the Wii U era though, so maybe that's pushing it, but I think they've really proved themselves in the Switch era so far. I also like that Nintendo will invest in smaller games like Sushi Striker and give them a proper push unlike some of the others.

I could totally see how someone could argue that Sony has the best first party if you are in to story-driven single player games. Pretty much any modern Sony published game is going to be pretty good per this generation. They've also managed to take elements of their successful games (mostly Uncharted and The Last of Us) and put them in to other games in their lineup without feeling reductive (unlike Ubisoft with Assassin's Creed for example).

Microsoft doesn't really have a first party identity. They sometimes publish some good games but Halo, Gears, Rare IP and Forza are what come to mind with Microsoft and 3/4 didn't originate with them. I trust that this is just a growing pain and they will sort this out eventually though. I just hope their response isn't "lets make make a bunch of story-driven single player games like Sony".

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I vastly prefer Sony's output as Zelda is the only Nintendo property I like, but I've always had a massive respect for how Nintendo support more than one platform with their big IP. Sony's lack of support for PSP and Vita is what killed it. They should have bulked up their first party and made IP for handhelds if they were serious.

As for Microsoft, I don't like Halo, Gears or Forza. They desperately need to diversify at the AAA end. Their most recent releases have been hugely underbaked.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo. In the end it comes down to everyones own taste, i have respect for Sonys AAA singleplayer experiences with high production value, but they are mostly not for me. I play some of them but they aren't that special for me. It's Nintendo because of Xenoblade (Monolithsofts games), Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Star Fox, etc.. Mostly for Zelda and Xenoblade though, there is nothing comparable at the other console makers living IPs.

God of War might be a great game, but i'm not into the companion theme and i don't think i could play it for 300 hours plus like BotW (not that every game has to be that big, but i dive back into BotW from time to time because of the quality). Sonys lack of JRPGs is a bit sad, they once did those games (not as good as SE etc. and PS4 has enough JRPGs anyway, but i would love to see a Sony AAA JRPG one time again).

Not interested in Microsofts offerings since they abandoned exclusive japanese content and well, i'm not a fan of Shooters and Racing Sims or the newer Rare games.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo but personally Sony because I like the stories and graphically pleasing stuff

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
How do u mean carry their console? 64, gc and wiiu re among the worst selling platforms of all time.

"Carry" doesn't equate to winning or, in this case, selling the most. You could carry your mate who fell over in a race to the finish line. You both finish, you both came last but you got there and you live to race another day.

Thats essentially what Nintendo did with their first party games for the 64, GC and WiiU.

I know its very difficult, but imagine Sony or Microsoft in Nintendo's situation those generations. How do you think they would fare?

Of course, there is also the issue here that Nintendo tend to alienate themselves from the rest of the market which does make it difficult for 3rd parties to support their consoles but that only makes their first party a lot more impressive since they're kinda surviving on their own out there..

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo, a hundred percent. Wii U was basically Nintendo published/developed games and not much else, and was the only reason anyone bought that console.

I like a good number of first party Sony games, too, though.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nintendo, because of the variety of their games
they're basically the only ones who can carry a platform basically on their own, and they do that by supporting the platform with many great games, in different genres, to the point where you can be satisfied with that platform just by playing nintendo games. the other two can't do that.

greenhadoken

Oct 28, 2017
I am big fan of all three companies and I currently own a PS4 and Switch. That being said, I find it strange that people get so bent out of shape over the "Sony 1st Party Formula" pic. If you look at the top 5 console exclusive IPs for Nintendo and Sony, Sony's looks a lot more samey. If you extend that out you'll find plenty of diversity (just as you do with Nintendo), but when I think top 5 Sony IP right now I think Uncharted, Last of Us, God of War, Horizon, Last Guardian. And that's fine! I enjoyed most of those games, but when I compare that to my top 5 Nintendo IP...Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, Splatoon?...I think the difference is clear. Please don't get mad at me

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
I want to say Nintendo for true first party for consistency but Sony has clearly done a great job this gen with new IPs and successfully revamping God of War. To me they alternate.

Bit I clearlt know who the worst is. Microsoft by a million miles. It is made even clearer by them having the best console ever made. Just yesterday playing SoD2 is crashed and well tjat is bs as it also performs like crap in the X. MS keeps releasing mediocre after mediocre first party game even with Halo 5.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
There's no denying the talented developers at Nintendo, but for me I simply cannot get excited for a lot of their announcements the way I do for some of Sony's biggest ones.

I've had a ton of fun with Nintendo games, even within the last five years, but I guess that how I judge it. When they announce a new entry in one of their existing franchises, even though I know it will be good (or great), I'm just kind of apathetic. But when Sony reveals something like The Last of Us, Horizon: Zero Dawn or Ghosts of Tsushima it captures my imagination.

Granted Nintendo is probably the correct choice here, but hey, opinions!

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
problem with Nintendo is that they cant keep the pace up as they are smaller compared to sony. last year nintendo was amazing but this they fell flat upto this point.
Nintendo's smaller but they still usually tend to put out more games annually than Sony or Microsoft's console groups.

...but its no contest.

I think the real difference is Nintendo platforms are almost always primairily driven by 1st party software. Even platforms with heavy 3rd party support like NES, GB, DS or Wii were driven mainly by 1st party games that sold in the tens of millions like Super Mario Bros, Tetris, Pokémon, Brain-Age, Wii Sports, etc. The Nintendo system that was arguably most driven by 3rd party games isn't even in their top 5 (SNES).

Sony and Microsoft both also have strong first party software than can drive hardware too (GT, Halo, GOW, etc), but not near to the degree Nintendo can. Only Microsoft really has an IP comparable to Mario or Pokémon and they had to buy it (Minecraft). A PlayStation or an Xbox without major AAA 3rd party backing would sell like a Vita, not a Switch.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As much as I enjoy my PS4, it needs a killer exclusive like Final Fantasy or Legend of Dragoon before it can beat out Nintendo's Mario, Zelda, Pikmin, Metro is, etc. for my very specific and very niche tastes. Especially since Odyssey and BotW.

They come real close having Bloodborne and all, though.

Lunir

May 17, 2018
Mexico
I don't know what to think of people saying "Nintendo has this kid games and Sony is so mature" like...

Nintendo: Owns part of Fatal Frame. Funded Bayonetta. Do you know what Xenoblade is? Also, look for Fire Emblem. Not too childish.

Sony: Sir Daniel is coming. Parappa has something. Ratchet and Clank had an amazing game. Little Big Planet exists.

You know? It's funny because I don't really like Mario. Neither Donkey Kong. I barely play Pokemon but I'm all into Nintendo and games like Fire Emblem, Code Name STEAM, Hotel Dusk, Tokyo Mirage Sessions and stuff like that.

I'm not really into Playstation. Everything is so... Cinematic. This was the third time they released Shadow of the Colossus... I don't know. Something about them seems like they need to step up. The last thing that I enjoyed about them is Journey (is that 1st party?) or Freedom Wars (That game was legit).

Thank you for reading my opinion.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
People are really mixing first party and exclusives.

Detroit, Until Dawn and Bloodborne are exclusives, not first party

Like how nintendo funded bayonetta, but she is still owned by sega

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really into Playstation. Everything is so... Cinematic.
This is my main complaint about Sony games. Their games have some of the highest production values ever, with great stories and graphics. But like you said, their games feel so cinematic that it annoys me.

Nintendo games, meanwhile, are mostly all about gameplay. I enjoy playing them more than Sony games.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
No one would buy a Sony or Microsoft console that had to coast almost exclusively off of its 1st party content. The answer is clear.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
For me Sony: GoW, Uncharted and Horizon. Those are great games and that I definitely I want to try.
Whereas, in Nintendo's side only Zelda, I already beat it and I enjoy it but not as much as many here seems to have enjoyed it.