• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game will have the biggest impact in 2020

• Cyberpunk 2077

Votes: 437 38.3%
  • Final Fantasy 7RE

Votes: 74 6.5%
  • The Last of Us Part II

Votes: 294 25.8%
  • Halo Infinity

Votes: 61 5.4%
  • Zelda : Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 145 12.7%
  • Animal Crossing : New Horizons

Votes: 44 3.9%
  • None of the above

Votes: 85 7.5%

• Total voters

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
As already mentioned, if FFVII is a success then that and Resident Evil 2 May usher in an era of high quality remakes (and I am kind of ok with that for ps1 era games).

OP
OP
plow

plow

Oct 28, 2017
FF7 Remake might also ring in a comeback of stationary consoles in Japan.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I don't see how anyone could answer this without playing the game first. No offence to the OP but this discussion is premature and the earnest responses so far are quite humorous.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
If Cyberpunk is as good as it seems, it might impact FPRPGs in the future in a similar way that Witcher 3 has impacted open-world games since it's launch.

If FFVIIR is succesful in its model I can see these 'sprawling epic' episodic full-fledged games being made from select AAA devs in the future.

I expect TloU2 to be amazing technically and to set ceratin bars very high but I don't know about it causing any ripples, there just aren't many devs competing in the same linear AAA games field as ND anymore.

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
The Last of Us part II will move realistic/cinematic games even further and reach even more non-gamers.

The only thing I can see diminishing its impact on casual audiences is its levels of violence and gore.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I think Cyberpunk will be the crowning achievement of this gen. That's coming from someone who loved The Witcher 3, sure, but I believe CD Projekt RED knows what gamers love. I love the sci-fi setting and all the RPG aspects. It's an evolved Deus Ex for sure.

After Odyssey, I'm willing to bet Gods & Monsters from Ubi Quebec will be huge. Fingers crossed for this one, though might not be "industry defining."

Probably not happening in 2020, but the new Metroid Prime is sure to shake things up on Switch too.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
no one.

people was saying similar things about botw changing future open world games but after 2 years, there is not a single open world with major physics involved or with the same concept of zelda botw.

this will be the case with cyberpunk, tlou2 and ff7remake.

maybe tlou2 will open the door to a better use of motion matching in future games but it's still reaching...games still haven't even copied or created something similar to the euphoria engine and that technology is revolutionary in terms of animations.

OP
OP
plow

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see how anyone could answer this without playing the game first. No offence to the OP but this discussion is premature and the earnest responses so far are quite humorous.

This is a discussion Forum in which people are discussing future things on a daily basis. That's why the question is "what do you think will..." and not "which game is going to...". It's about opinions based on what we have already seen.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
no one.

people was saying similar things about botw changing future open world games but after 2 years, there is not a single open world with major physics involved or with the same concept of zelda botw.
Open world games take way longer than two years to make, so this is a bit premature.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Two years is very little time. Open world games influenced by BotW will probably emerge next-gen.
we will see games with major physics for sure, but i think the reason will be a major upgrade in cpu.
i don't really think that devs never thought about physics in their game before botw, but the hardware is so bad that you can't sacrifice the graphics and physics don't sell very well...

(sorry for my english)

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I don't think either of those three games will have a meaningful impact. They will all likely sell well and be fairly well received but I don't see any of them being something that end up being major influences.

Most interested in how Halo Infinite will launch with the new console. It will be on Steam, on Game Pass, xCloud etc. If it doesn't have 20 million players in the first couple of months I'd say it's a disappointment. At that point MS should have the critical mass to support their sub service.

Gears 5 was only a small taste in the reach of Game Pass in my opinion. Their userbase on PC and in streaming still has to grow.

20 million in a couple of months for a (presumably) launch title is a bit extreme. I am sure it will run OK on an X1X but to really experience it you are going to want the new Xbox or have a high end PC. There just isn't going to be enough people in that situation at launch time to get anywhere near 20 million. RDR2 with a 100+ million console base has sold 25 million copies in a little under a year. Even taking into account PC sales for Halo I just don't see there being enough systems out there to get it up to 20 million

Baku

Jan 24, 2018
The Halo overhype is reaaal. We haven't seen anything indicating it will be a revolutionary fps...

I don't believe any of the three games will have any major impact either. They will be the best and most polished games of their respective genres though.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I don't think either of those three games will have a meaningful impact. They will all likely sell well and be fairly well received but I don't see any of them being something that end up being major influences.

20 million in a couple of months for a (presumably) launch title is a bit extreme. I am sure it will run OK on an X1X but to really experience it you are going to want the new Xbox or have a high end PC. There just isn't going to be enough people in that situation at launch time to get anywhere near 20 million. RDR2 with a 100+ million console base has sold 25 million copies in a little under a year. Even taking into account PC sales for Halo I just don't see there being enough systems out there to get it up to 20 million

Forza Horizon 4 did 12 million in less than a year. I expect Halo to easily top that. Hence my 20 million.

RDR2 had a big barrier to entry. Halo Infinite won't have that.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
What's Halo infinite doing that's setting new standards? Looks good so far, just didn't read anything outside of it being 60fps yet and going back to its roots.

I think TLOu influence is already in the industry. I mean Gears is a reflection of how story is now valued and much more effort is placed into it. Those early games the story was an after thought like a fighting/action game. Everyone is putting more into narrative now, so I guess if TLOu2 raises the bar again in animation and character performance that'll have some impact, but I think it's mostly already being reflected.

So i'd go with Cyberpunk which looks like First person Witcher. I think it'll set a new bar with densely populated worlds instead of vast ones and huge player choice.

FF7 is just a really amazing IP getting love,not sure it's setting any new standards but it looks incredible.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Cyberpunk 2077 seemed to be attempting to doing a lot with player choice, seamlessness and world interactivity, but after this years showing, it seems slightly less impressive than last year.

TLOU Part II looks like an improved part I, but the animation, so and visuals may set a new bar.

FF7 doesn't be seem to be doing a lot 'new', but it still looks like it'll be a fantastic game.

Jun 23, 2019
The Last of Us Part II.

And a lot of people will be annoyed by it.

Can't fkn wait :)

Agreed. It's a little funny seeing how much people are already trying to downplay the game as just a better sequel of TLOU. I have a feeling this game is going to raise the bar for gaming so high that it's influence will be felt next gen.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
FF7 Remake might also ring in a comeback of stationary consoles in Japan.
How? FF15 already sold over a Million units there iirc, and the PS4 is currently going to fall off well before the 10 Million unit mark that PS3 hit. Switch is the hope for traditional consoles in Japan, 8-10 Million units for Sony consoles is not irrelevant either mind you.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
The last of Us 2 for sure. Naughty dog is just on another level.

cyberpunk just might not run well at all on the consoles we have out right now.

ff7 is a remake, so there's only so far they can go.

halo infinite being made by 343, just doesn't strike me as a game that will be doing that much to be honest.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
This is a discussion Forum in which people are discussing future things on a daily basis. That's why the question is "what do you think will..." and not "which game is going to...". It's about opinions based on what we have already seen.
My point being that we haven't seen much and what we have seen is out of context. You even have people in here saying games like halo 5 and botw 2. This discussion is presently fruitless. But I'm being a downer so I'll just leave it at that.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
I suppose TLOU 2's violence might have some larger impact. It's far less cartoony than the hyper violence normally seen in games which will raise some eyebrows, especially with US's current administration.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
A remake, a safe sequel and a traditional RPG that is kind of an outside category in scope.

I think the safe sequel may have some impact in terms of motion matching technique, and the remake may have some impact in more companies doing high end remakes, and the outside category may have some impact in that more RPGs may have small x mechanic, and all of it will be incredibly minor, where the average Ubisoft game of that year has more impact.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see any of those having an impact on the industry (I'm not saying anything about their quality).
This. They might all end up being great, sell great and be GOTY contenders (or not) but as far as actual impact on the industry, I don't see any of them having any. Same goes for BOTW2.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
In contrast, Naughty Dog will show just where the industry is today, graphics, animation, story telling... It will be the best game from them yet, most likely... The last game in the series was a masterpiece that drove the industry forward and set the tone for this entire generation, though no game lived up to it IMO.

How did it set the tone for this generation? We're in the service generation, where most of the big companies are chasing live services. How did TLoU impact that? Are Activision Blizzard, Ubisoft, Electronic Arts or any of the other big companies really chasing TLoU? Even last generation it didn't set the tone. We had so many zombie games last generation, that the 360 indie thread on Gaf had an award for zombie game of the month and even big franchises like Call of Duty and Red Dead Redemption got their own zombie modes or spin-offs. GotY the year before TLoU, was The Walking Dead according to some outlets, where an adult takes care of a girl during the zombie apocalypse. Many were doing post apocalyptic settings back then - and not just in games, but other media as well - and TLoU being released at the end of the generation came after practically all of them. It followed the tone and trend.

Last edited:

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Cyberpunk seems the most likely to me. I was going to dispute the idea that its quest design would be noteworthy--TW3's quest design was terrible, after all, and there's a lot of reason to think that modern AAA-game development favors narrow quests with relatively few options and end-states. But then for those exact reasons, Cybepunk doesn't have to do a whole lot to be remarkable in the AAA space.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
A remake, a safe sequel and a traditional RPG that is kind of an outside category in scope.

I think the safe sequel may have some impact in terms of motion matching technique, and the remake may have some impact in more companies doing high end remakes, and the outside category may have some impact in that more RPGs may have small x mechanic, and all of it will be incredibly minor, where the average Ubisoft game of that year has more impact.

How is TLOU2 a 'safe sequel'? What did they show you that looked safe in any way?

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
of these 3, it feels like a toss-up. maybe cyberpunk, if I had to choose. but none of these are going to shake things up in a way that only something unpredictable like Minecraft or Fortnite could. I don't think any of them will hit the mainstream in that zeitgeisty way.

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
TLoU II will be more like a graphic showcase since they already have a formula unless they God of War'ed it.

FFVIIR is going to lead the industry to make more episodic games

I think Cyberpunk will be just a final form of Fallout. Evey first-person game looks same to me.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us Part II will be setting a new bar for character animation, from what we've seen. My money is on that one.

With that being s aid, we don't even know which titles will be launching on the new consoles, so that new bar set by TLOUP2 migth not last very long.

But, honestly, my dark horse pick for most impact on the industry? Breath of the Wild 2.

Nothing we know about BOTW2 is something new, didn't the director even said Hyrule would be the same?

Instead, TLOU2 already showed stuff we didn't thought possible in this gen. The answer is kinda obvious.