• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You know who I'm talking about. Characters like this:

GilbertDS.jpg

Or this

ef97b28f8358d077dbbedaed7a7ae488.jpg

Or this

Vanille.png

Or even this:

Riki_pic.png

Question is though: Which characters that fit this trope/archetype actually push past being an annoying joke into actually likable characters? Which ones have meaningful growth? Which ones are the best?

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Cait Sith, kind of?

I personally hate these characters as a matter of fact, and generally wish they just weren't around.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I like Morgana but that's a very controversial stance to take.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
World of Final Fantasy
WoFF_Tama.png

This the character is the annoying the one.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
latest

Jansen Friedh of Lost Odyssey!

Deleted member 22405

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like Persona 3's Junpei for his arc. I don't know if he's annoying, but he has a rough impression at first.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
Teepo from Tales of Xilia. I'd post a pic but I dont want to look at his stupid face. And he definitely doesnt become less annoying, Leia did that.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
latest

healing + ressurection + good gun with lots of ammo + strong wind magic with some insane boosts for damage + miracle punch

you can tell me to sleep anytime cat. you're useful in battle unlike a certain bear i know

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
Tbh games are better off without this type of character. Papyrus isn't a party member but he is cute and not that annoying to me.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I hated Tora with a passion, but loved Morgana, who was my main healer aside from my main character.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Way too many annoying JRPG characters it's hard to remember half of them. edit: that what happens when you don't read all of the OP

An annoying, but likeable huh. It's either Morgan or Jensen. I never considered them very annoying to begin with.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can't be the greatest at anything without being referred to as spoony.

So it has to be Big Ed.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Seconded for Karol ain't annoying. He's a rather well-adjusted kid, for the most part, and he thrives with a little bit of guidance from older role models.

Also, Riki is fucking fantastic. He's a grown-ass Nopon with a truckload of kids and is part of what is effectively the best party in Xenoblade alongside
Melia and Dunban

Heropon bestpon!

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Karol ain't annoying.

I guess Steiner from FF9?
Actually I change my answer to Steiner. His arc was great, as was his stuff with Beatrix.
I'd say Quina is the "this is the annoying character" character of FFIX. Though I didn't mind him/her. Maybe Eiko counts if you're feeling really joyless.

I think this discussion needs to distinguish between mascot characters and the weak/peppy/young human characters, since many games have both.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Riki is the friggin' best. Despite being a "mascot" type character, he was a great and endearing character.

And Karol definitely is good for the kid character

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Rikku in Final Fantasy, she's meant to be the perky and goofy one, like her reaction to lightning is crawling on the floor but apart from Auron who knows the full truth, she is the one who is most wiling to stand up to Yu Yevon's hypocrisy and guide Yuna to the right path.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
I mean of recent, Sylvando from DQ11, every time he speaks is annoying. It's over the top.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I typically like the Tales Of mascot characters (Teepo, Bienfu, etc). I think Rita's the character meant to fill the 'abrasive, annoying' archetype in Vesperia, not Karol, alongside Pascal in Graces, Magilou in Berseria, etc. Tales typically does a good job of making that type endearing enough to balance the abrasiveness.
Maybe Rikku in Final Fantasy, she's meant to be the perky and goofy one, like her reaction to lightning is crawling on the floor but apart from Auron who knows the full truth, she is the one who is most wiling to stand up to Yu Yevon's hypocrisy and guide Yuna to the right path.
Aha, her character is so hilariously flanderised as a result of X-2. She's actually super serious (outside of being scared as hell of thunder) and reasonably dressed in X .

Rikku everyone remembers:

Actual Rikku:

latest

Last edited:

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I am unsure of the premise of this thread since I'm not sure what the four characters OP selected have in common. It's a Justice Potter Stewart argument then, "I know it when I see it." It's about mascots? Little kid characters? Super peppy characters? Cowardly characters?

... oh for a character I initially thought would be annoying, Alois from Fire Emblem 3H seemed like he was gonna be an insufferable bumbling sidekick type complete with a bad pun gimmick but I really warmed up to him in supports. Even the bad puns grew on me.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
more like all of them but fang and sazh
Nah....only Sazh is decent and that was mostly due to the person motion captured as him being an actual black guy. Fang is just another anime character.

Annoying character that redeem himself: Luke from Tales of The Abyss
LukefonFabre.jpg

Dude is goddamn insufferable until later in the story and he's the main character.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Nah....only Sazh is decent and that was mostly due to the person motion captured as him being an actual black guy. Fang is just another anime character.

Annoying character that redeem himself: Luke from Tales of The Abyss
LukefonFabre.jpg

Dude is goddamn insufferable until later in the story and he's the main character.

To be fair i dont remember fang as annoying cause i barely remember fang at all

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
It's Riki, Tora, and Steiner.

I like Rikku but I didn't find her annoying.

If anyone says Teddie I will slap them.

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
persongyj97.png

Kiseki's Olivier is such an annoyance when you first meet him, but then he turns into an annoyance you know.