• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is more popular?

• Street Fighter

Votes: 344 24.2%
  • Mortal Kombat

Votes: 998 70.3%
  • Shaq Fu

Votes: 78 5.5%

• Total voters

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Both the franchises are a shadow of their former Arcade glory days , even with MK selling far more now on console than it did back then. That said SF hit a much higher peak than MK with SF2.

SF2 made a crazy amount of money in the Arcades.
www.businessinsider.com

The 11 most popular video games of all time

Video games are serious business. You might be surprised to see which games are the most popular of all time.

SF2 in the Arcades was the equivalent of Fortnite or GTAV now ( or even bigger when you take into account inflation ).

MK definitely sells way more nowadays. But the SF name is far more ingrained in pop culture worldwide. And its probably going to remain that way until we get another Fighting game that legitimately beats other genres saleswise and grains mainstream recognition.

The Magic Box - US Platinum Chart Games.

The Magic Box - US Platinum Chart Games.

US sales from 1995 to 2007. MK appears several times while SF doesnt appear once.

Lets not ignore how big SF was in the Arcades in that era.

Tribal24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both the franchises are a shadow of their former Arcade glory days , even with MK selling far more now on console than it did back then. That said SF hit a much higher peak than MK with SF2.

www.businessinsider.com

Video games are serious business. You might be surprised to see which games are the most popular of all time.

SF2 in the Arcades was the equivalent of Fortnite or GTAV now ( or even bigger when you take into account inflation ).

MK definitely sells way more nowadays. But the SF name is far more ingrained in pop culture worldwide. And its probably going to remain that way until we get another Fighting game that legitimately beats other genres saleswise and grains mainstream recognition.

Drop them facts.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
MK9 changed the game and MKX just took it to a whole different level. MK11 was an improvement in visual fidelity although a minor step back in game mechanics. But these games make Mortal Kombat the best fighting game franchise in the world. Tekken hasn't kept up like it used to and Street Fighter isn't as big as it used to be. Even in tournaments MK is the number one fighting game. You have sonic fox as the greatest MK player of all time and possibly the best fighting game player of all time.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, in the non western country Brazil the rule is

KOF > MK >>>> SF

And i say this as someone who prefers a good SF like alpha 3

It is interesting how MK keeps getting bigger even if being Rated R stops it from having collaborations like this one
I wish KOF was that popular here. KOF lost their crown two decades ago and never took it back.

It's MK in Brazil for sure. And I wouldn't be surprised either if Tekken was more popular than KOF and SF around here nowadays.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
It's clearly MK.

Idk why Capcom is not innovating more with SF. Resident Evil, Monster Hunter and Devil May Cry all look amazing and have been really well adapted to modern standards. But SFV doesn't feel like a AAA game at all, maybe it's the lower budget, the fan servicey character design, idk but there's something about it that feels very outdated.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
KoF ain't that popular anywhere anymore
I wish KOF was that popular here. KOF lost their crown two decades ago and never took it back.

It's MK in Brazil for sure. And I wouldn't be surprised either if Tekken was more popular than KOF and SF around here nowadays.

KOF is popular here for the same reason lots of people are saying SF is popular
KOF was THE arcade game here in brazil so it was like a cultural tradition for a long time
like you can make Rugal jokes and lots of people will understand

The last games have been pretty weak and it decreased in popularity, but it is still in the hearts of people

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
It's clearly MK.

Idk why Capcom is not innovating more with SF. Resident Evil, Monster Hunter and Devil May Cry all look amazing and have been really well adapted to modern standards. But SFV doesn't feel like a AAA game at all, maybe it's the lower budget, the fan servicey character design, idk but there's something about it that feels very outdated.
They seem to care more about fan servicey character design over....you know...a fun experience.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
KOF is popular here for the same reason lots of people are saying SF is popular
KOF was THE arcade game here in brazil so it was like a cultural tradition for a long time
like you can make Rugal jokes and lots of people will understand

The last games have been pretty weak and it decreased in popularity, but it is still in the hearts of people
I think you're overestimating KOF's popularity, specially compared to MK and SF. I guarantee every single person who understand Rugal jokes also knows who Ryu and Sub-Zero are and most likely played a SF or MK game more recently than a KOF one.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Even I don't really like fighting games and I bought MK11, its great(I used to like Street Fighter not anymore).

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

www.businessinsider.com

Maybe in the late 90s but SF was inactive the entire PS2 era.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're overestimating KOF's popularity, specially compared to MK and SF. I guarantee every single person who understand Rugal jokes also knows who Ryu and Sub-Zero are and most likely played a SF or MK game more recently than a KOF one.
Exactly. Come on guys, this is such an absurd take. KoF in Brazil, no matter how nostalgic you feel about the early 90s arcade days, was never more popular than SF and MK.

No one younger than 30 has any attachment to the franchise because it has been handled like garbage for over an decade. Between the garbage netcodes and very unwelcome executions, it is a franchise that never made any effort to grow into newer generation of players.

I'm sure most of you guys talking about it in regards to Brazil follow the FGC as a whole amd no other game grew as much as MK did in the last few years.

Look at the whole new batch of young players that popped up for MK11 alone, look at how much love Warner gave to us for the launch, there are weekly official tournaments since release, major continental tournaments have been held in São Paulo. KillerXinok as a streamer bred a dozen of very skilled online warriors that wreck havoc here and there in online tournaments. Hell, Bomber L'Oréal has been doing a fantastic job schooling and providing quality content for everyone in the scene. MK scene is tiers above whatever KoF has ever had and this has been a reality for years now, it just doesn't stop growing.

Now of you insist on the nostalgic aura of KoF and how important it is for a lot of 30yo+ players out there, I won't deny it has its charm. But as our friend here said, every single KoF head out there knows everything about both SF and MK, but the same is absolutely is not the same if you reverse it.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
If we're talking popular based on sales number, well numbers don't lie, no arguing here. At least for the recent titles, no idea of total sales of all times.
If we're gonna talk popularity through all their existence, I believe SF is fucking ICONIC. Just imagine how many references it gets in any other type of media. Even my mom knows hadoken lol.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

www.businessinsider.com

More like SF was PubG and then Mortal Kombat was fortnite.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Street Fighter is highly popular here in Asia. I can find many local gaming event or tournament that plays this game more than MK.
The popularity is so high, that even a non-gamer, local radio DJs can reference Street Fighter characters and their moves on live.

If speaking globally, I would say it should be the same.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
If we're talking popular based on sales number, well numbers don't lie, no arguing here. At least for the recent titles, no idea of total sales of all times.
If we're gonna talk popularity through all their existence, I believe SF is fucking ICONIC. Just imagine how many references it gets in any other type of media. Even my mom knows hadoken lol.
I don't think MK is any less iconic as a pop culture IP. It is less iconic for the FGC due to SF being the blueprint for everything else, but as far a pop culture go I have serious doubt MK is not ahead of it. I have no argument other than personal experience, but if we go after numbers that won't really favor SF at all lol.

I don't think MK is any less iconic as a pop culture IP. It is less iconic for the FGC due to SF being the blueprint for everything else, but as far a pop culture go I have serious doubt MK is not ahead of it. I have no argument other than personal experience, but if we go after numbers that won't really favor SF at all lol.
The characters aren't don't seem to be as popular. Like chun li is just below like a mario or pikachu. I'm hip-hop which is like the most popular pop culture thing ever right now, I literally can't count the amount of references to SF. Can't think of any MK ones despite them partnering with big rappers twice for the last two games.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
The characters aren't don't seem to be as popular. Like chun li is just below like a mario or pikachu. I'm hip-hop which is like the most popular pop culture thing ever right now, I literally can't count the amount of references to SF. Can't think of any MK ones despite them partnering with big rappers twice for the last two games.
There are several MK references in Hip Hop media tho. 21 Savage talks about it a lot, there's even a song pretty much dedicated to it, the video for the famous Lil Wayne diss from Pusha T (Exodus 23:1) shows people playing MK3, Young Thug uses MK references all the time (I can instantly think of Now, Digits, Draw Down). This is just from stuff that instantly came to mind lol.

As I said man, it's personal bias but I see MK references everywhere as far as things I consume go. I liked that you talked about hip hop because that's where I find most of them lol.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
More like SF was PubG and then Mortal Kombat was fortnite.

If you want an actual comparison to Arcade sales performance. If SF was Pubg then MK was Blackout or something.
en.wikipedia.org

Arcade game - Wikipedia

Street Fighter II

200,000 (up to 1992)
The World Warrior: 60,000
Champion Edition: 140,000

$2.312 billion (up to 1995)
(The World Warrior
Champion Edition
)

Mortal Kombat
24,000 (up to 2002)
$570 million (up to 2002)

Mortal Kombat II
27,000 (up to 2002)
$100 million (up to 1994)

The entire MK franchise didn't top $1bn in the Arcades. This is still a huge amount , but SF2 was just that much bigger.

The weren't being metaphorical. Street Fighter II was literally Fortnite, GTA V, Minecraft popular and lucrative. Made over $10 billion in the 90s. One quarter at a time.

In a way their Metaphor kinda worked.

PUBG is bigger than Fortnite worldwide.

Maybe in the late 90s but SF was inactive the entire PS2 era.

Yes that is true. But You are talking about a game that went from GTAV level of sales on the Arcade to 2-3m or w/e it sold on consoles.

Even the SFIV revival is a very small in comparison to how big it was.

Its sorta like how modern Pacman games wont sell more than random AA or indie title. But Pacmans iconic legacy is still far bigger than most modern titles.

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
It is interesting how MK keeps getting bigger even if being Rated R stops it from having collaborations like this one
Honestly the R-Rating shouldn't stop them. Scorpion and Sub Zero both have iconic movesets that are divided enough from the Gore that they are somewhat viable (if unlikely) smash bros candidates without the blood and gore.

I'm also reminded that there's always been the occasional "What if Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter crossed over" thing as well, including a request from Netherrealms fairly recently, according to this Eurogamer article.

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
You all also reminded me of the Japanese arcade test for the reboot. I can't find too much information about it, however, and only one tweet that seems to mention it.
2012081501.jpg

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Injustice is probably bigger than Street Fighter nowadays.
Capcom should have abandoned SFV years ago, every new season pass only buries the title more into obscurity by appealing only to those who got into the game five full years ago and missing out a whole new refreshed audience.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the R-Rating shouldn't stop them. Scorpion and Sub Zero both have iconic movesets that are divided enough from the Gore that they are somewhat viable (if unlikely) smash bros candidates without the blood and gore.

I'm also reminded that there's always been the occasional "What if Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter crossed over" thing as well, including a request from Netherrealms fairly recently, according to this Eurogamer article.
MK can and has worked without the gore. Hell, the most popular piece in the series was a PG-13 movie

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If you want an actual comparison to Arcade sales performance. If SF was Pubg then MK was Blackout or something.
en.wikipedia.org

Arcade game - Wikipedia

Street Fighter II

200,000 (up to 1992)
The World Warrior: 60,000
Champion Edition: 140,000

$2.312 billion (up to 1995)
(The World Warrior
Champion Edition
)

Mortal Kombat
24,000 (up to 2002)
$570 million (up to 2002)

Mortal Kombat II
27,000 (up to 2002)
$100 million (up to 1994)

The entire MK franchise didn't top $1bn in the Arcades. This is still a huge amount , but SF2 was just that much bigger.

In a way their Metaphor kinda worked.

PUBG is bigger than Fortnite worldwide.

Yes that is true. But You are talking about a game that went from GTAV level of sales on the Arcade to 2-3m or w/e it sold on consoles.

Even the SFIV revival is a very small in comparison to how big it was.

Its sorta like how modern Pacman games wont sell more than random AA or indie title. But Pacmans iconic legacy is still far bigger than most modern titles.
SF2 is definitely the king. Heck Mortal Kombat probably wouldnt even exist if not for SF2.

However Street Fighter Alpha or 3 never recaptured the success of 2 (a shame because IMO Alpha 2 is the best one). MK was popular til around 96 with Trilogy. After that the series kind of floundered with MK4 and those crappy beat em ups.

SF was pretty inactive during the whole PS2 era while the MK series got a minor reboot in Deadly Alliance-Decption-Armageddon. Nothing to brag about sales wise but better than nothing.

Finally it's been established that the new MK games outpace SF5 in sales. So I'd say that SF2 is the biggest game between both franchises, but as of now MK is more popular.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I agree that SFII was a higher peak than any singular game or moment in the MK franchise but just on balance MK is clearly more popular, especially nowadays. I think SF is more well remembered and beloved among nerdy millennials and gen X which is why you see references to it in media fairly often, but they don't dictate what is objectively more popular.

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
Capcom should have abandoned SFV years ago, every new season pass only buries the title more into obscurity by appealing only to those who got into the game five full years ago and missing out a whole new refreshed audience.
Championship Edition is a 30$ "buy the whole game including DLC minus the Capcom Cup content" thing. The only reason why we're getting a new Season Pass is because Street Fighter VI probably flopped and Ono left the company, so they needed to do damage control. We were all expecting Street Fighter VI to be announced this year at least.
They should have done this with MKX instead... MK9 is not necessarily bad but it feels really stiff and it's a rather ugly game.

It sucks, I had to import my Switch copy of MK11 because the series doesn't exist here.
This was in 2012, when Mortal Kombat got a reboot. I think it became the issue of "it failed once and we're not going to try it again". Mortal Kombat already is a hard sell due to the Gore.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I've never had someone ask what I do for a living and not had them instantly know what Mortal Kombat is. Doesn't matter if it's a doctor, a car mechanic, a hair stylist. You name it. In fact, when I told my therapist she was like "Oh, like with Sub-Zero! Finish him!" and she's in her 50's/60's. Awesome lol

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

The game still moves 200k copies every quarter after 5 years. Just because it hasn't sold 8 million copies like MK11 doesn't mean it's not a massive hit with over 5 million copies sold. Y'all ain't gotta be weird to make points.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
It should be bigger in Mexico as far as I know.
You can still go to the arcades an play (old) KOF games against actual people in Mexico. But at the same time, MK sells quite well in Mexico and NRS always delivers high quality Spanish voice acting for Latin America. Both would be bigger than SF, maybe.

This was in 2012, when Mortal Kombat got a reboot. I think it became the issue of "it failed once and we're not going to try it again". Mortal Kombat already is a hard sell due to the Gore.
I thought the same, but Japan doesn't really have a problem with gore in Resident Evil. They just think schoolgirls are a better fit for fighting games than blood around here, lol.

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
Street Fighter is highly popular here in Asia. I can find many local gaming event or tournament that plays this game more than MK.
The popularity is so high, that even a non-gamer, local radio DJs can reference Street Fighter characters and their moves on live.

If speaking globally, I would say it should be the same.
I wonder if we should take into consideration population too.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I've seen billboard / building-wall advertisements for the latest Mortal Kombat game and I've never seen anything in the wild for Street Fighter in the last two decades. Outside of the FGC bubble, Mortal Kombat appears to have a much better market penetration. I'd imagine MK sells much more.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Is this about current sales alone? Feels like Street Fighter is still the more known franchise, it's basically the Mario of Fighting games. And quality wise the games aren't even in the same universe.

mancan

Banned
Mar 29, 2018
Street fighter is the bigger brand for sure. RYU is by far a bigger character than anyone in Mk. But Mk is a more popular game franchise right now. Street fighter is ridiculously ingrained in culture generally.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Yeah, I think a a good bit of it is the aesthetic. Even "realistic" fighting games, like Tekken and Virtua Fighter, are more colorful then Mortal Kombat.
vf5fs_060212_4.jpg
I don't know if it's optimized in any way, but this game still looks incredible on my Series S 😭

Far better than Tekken 7 which is blur city on Xbox.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The game still moves 200k copies every quarter after 5 years. Just because it hasn't sold 8 million copies like MK11 doesn't mean it's not a massive hit with over 5 million copies sold. Y'all ain't gotta be weird to make points.
SFIV sold 9M+ copies, SF5 sold 5M copies with no Xbox, versus MKX and MK11 selling 20M?

I don't get why people are acting like this is a blowout.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
SF2 is definitely the king. Heck Mortal Kombat probably wouldnt even exist if not for SF2.

However Street Fighter Alpha or 3 never recaptured the success of 2 (a shame because IMO Alpha 2 is the best one). MK was popular til around 96 with Trilogy. After that the series kind of floundered with MK4 and those crappy beat em ups.

SF was pretty inactive during the whole PS2 era while the MK series got a minor reboot in Deadly Alliance-Decption-Armageddon. Nothing to brag about sales wise but better than nothing.

Finally it's been established that the new MK games outpace SF5 in sales. So I'd say that SF2 is the biggest game between both franchises, but as of now MK is more popular.

Yea MK is easily the bigger franchise now. But my point was that SF is still the more well know brand in the mainstream conscious.

MK on average has performed far better than SF throughout its lifetime. But I guess since it never achieved the insane peak of SF2.

I guess it boils down to.
Which game do more people play now ? MK.
Which game do more people know/recognize ? SF.

Its kinda like how any new AAA game like say God of War or Uncharted will sell boatloads more than a Pacman game. But Pacman as a game is far more well known.

I'm saying. MK is clearly the better seller. And for good reason. NRS does just about everything at a high level these days. But the notion that Street Fighter is some obscure ancient property is absurd.

Yea I don't get why people love to go to extremes.
Both of these brands are extremely well known and perform really well sales wise ( as far as Fighters are concerned ).

Infact outside of SF , no other Fighting game comes close to MK in terms of mainstream recognition.

Ryu,Ken,Scorps,Subz...etc are all among the most iconic video game characters. You aren't going to see Kazuya or Akira come anywhere close to this.
Literally everyone knows Terms like Hadoken,Finish Him,Fatality.

Very Very few games have achieved this. Even some of the biggest games of today havent reached that level of popularity.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
SFIV sold 9M+ copies, SF5 sold 5M copies with no Xbox, versus MKX and MK11 selling 20M?

I don't get why people are acting like this is a blowout.

MKX and MK11 did that in close to the same span of time as SFV did that 5 million.

edit: well, 1 year difference. 2016-2020 vs 2015-2020. So I guess it's just the recency of the sales that gives it the perception.