• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This might be pie in the sky, but I would love in-game screenshot and save file locations relative to their install locations to become more standardized. I dunno if that's something a client like Steam can solve, though.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
The library desperately needs a tagging and filtering system. Allow users to incorporate tags from the store as well as their own custom tags.

Wolfen

User requested ban
Banned
Apr 27, 2019
Tells you a lot about how good steam is when most of the stuff people want is niche or just straight shit.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
The desktop profile is very limited in what it can do compared to normal game profiles. The main issue is that it doesn't work as an XInput device on the desktop profile.
If it could be assigned as a standard XInput device when the overlay isn't hooked into a game, that would probably be enough for most people.

bbd23, C-Dub, Gattsu25

I know that it's not the same thing as being built into Steam, but have you considered setting up OBS Studio?
Its replay buffer feature records gameplay to RAM rather than constantly writing to disk, and then saves the buffer when you hit an assigned shortcut key.

It's very flexible in terms of layout and recording options, and is the closest thing to ShadowPlay right now with the way that it captures frames - though Shadowplay still has direct frame-buffer capture which nothing else has access to.
OBS can also capture video at high frame rates if your PC can support that, while many other solutions are limited to 60 FPS at most. In fact it's the only solution I found that worked well for recording 180 FPS footage from games when I wanted to shoot video for slow motion playback.
!!!!!

Pargon you are AWESOME!

Thank you! I never would have thought of that- It's the perfect solution!

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I love Steam, but there is definitely places to brush up on.

-Update the mobile app and the BPM interface once the Steam UI update hits, bringing all three interfaces into sync in most functionality and style
-Improve responsiveness of the store and community pages
-Do some magic to standardize game save file locations (this feels like it would involve some coding sorcery, but I'd love it and it would likely lead to cloud saves being ubiquitous)
-Take a harder stance on alt-right/neo-nazi community content (they're picking it up a bit, but it isn't sufficient yet. Start community banning fools)
-Improve filtering options on both the store page and library page. With a big boost to store responsiveness, I could see dynamically turning filters off and on very helpful for narrowing down the store to games I'm currently interested in
-Put a greater focus on advertising games using gameplay video. The main store page uses mostly still images to get your attention. I'm more receptive to seeing gameplay. The 6 second Steam trailers Twitter is a good example of effective use of video to make me click into a store page quickly. (Seriously, check that Twitter out)
-Do something cool with the new Steam chat like have a lobby for every game that comes out similar to how every game has a forum page.
-Make it easier and officially supported to roll back game updates
-Provide incentive/gentle nudging towards publishers and developers to not use DRM or use less intrusive DRM
-Ship my Index.

There are way more things that could be added and changed I'm sure.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Cloud based entries for non-Steam game customizations (think icons, page background art, install paths, banners, etc)

Also a community workshop for all of that kind of stuff. Some games I play a lot of like Battlefield and Overwatch will simply not ever come to Steam proper and I like to use Steam as a PC Games launching hub in general, which means I spend a lot of time customizing these games so that they look like native Steam games in my library. Having to manage it over multiple computers and OS reinstalls can be monotonous.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'd like more support for big picture mode. One gripe specifically for big picture is if you have multiple monitors, it doesn't remember the one you want or played on previously every time. Also raise the resolution from 1080p to 4K mainly to prevent having a game you launch in big picture go to 1080p and then 4K (which has caused some display hiccups in some cases. Presumably for the current game you're playing. Outside of that, i'm pretty pleased with the program and what it currently has to offer.

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
It's entirely up to the developer/publisher to do that. Steam already allows it.

In some specific circumstances it's possible to download a game with Steam, then uninstall Steam.

However, there's no way to actually download a game without Steam, like with GoG or Itch.io. I want to just download (offline) installers with my web browser.

It's worth noting that GoG says all their installers are generated automatically, so there's no reason Valve couldn't do something similar, if they wanted to.

Last edited:

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I love Steam, but there is definitely places to brush up on.

-Make it easier and officially supported to roll back game updates
I'm not sure if it is easy developer side but the devs can use the "beta" tab to keep old version of the game.
Creative assembly and paradox development studies usually keep older versions available.

That said i'd really like for it to be "mandatory" for all devs to keep X ammount of updates available. It is really annoying when your campaign breaks because of the latest update

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure if it is easy developer side but the devs can use the "beta" tab to keep old version of the game.
Creative assembly and paradox development studies usually keep older versions available.

That said i'd really like for it to be "mandatory" for all devs to keep X ammount of updates available. It is really annoying when your campaign breaks because of the latest update

There is actually a janky way to do it in Steam. The guide here gives a how to. But having it be something you could just select from a list (that is used much more often than the beta tab developers currently sometimes use) would be far superior. Of course, I could imagine plenty of developers that would hate this feature as it may make support harder than it is now, or give cheaters more vectors to attack from.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
After playing some Xbox recently, I really liked the idea of being able to go into the overlay and just launch into another game while currently already in a game. Would something like that be feasible for Steam? Perhaps maybe they could get a desktop overlay too?

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
After playing some Xbox recently, I really liked the idea of being able to go into the overlay and just launch into another game while currently already in a game. Would something like that be feasible for Steam? Perhaps maybe they could get a desktop overlay too?
I don't see why not. You can already kill the game from bpm overlay so it would be just an extra step there.

CaptainDreads

Nov 7, 2017
Let me search through my steam library using the store tags.

I have tried using tools to create groups based off of them, but then you just end up with hundreds of groups which is just as annoying to search though.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty basic but I'd just like to see the launcher play nice with the Windows 10 snap feature. Whether I snap Steam to the left or right of my screen, it always takes up just over half of the screen, unlike every other app ever!

An even more niche feature I'd like would be the ability to reset the play time on individual games. Seems silly that a game should display that I have 100 hours of playtime in just because the app glitched when I closed it and hung over the weekend.

Shows how great the platform is when it's only anal crap like this that I can think of needing improvement.

9point81

Feb 28, 2019
A method to quick deploy and monitor game servers on the big name cloud services. Steam integration with Azure or AWS would be nice for Conan Exiles, Ark etc. when playing with big groups.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like patching games on Steam is a pain with small updates that could be as little as 15mb taking so long to even start downloading and then patch takes long for some reason too. I want to install Path of Exile on a SSD right now but I have a feeling Steam makes a ton of space or something and does a lot of writing even for little patches, which POE has a ton of and frequently. I'm just realizing that there may be a non Steam client so I'll probably hop on that soon.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there's a download, then play feature on Steam like PS4 does, so I want that. It might be differ for every games but I want that to be common feature on PC Steam client, especially with big file games.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like patching games on Steam is a pain with small updates that could be as little as 15mb taking so long to even start downloading and then patch takes long for some reason too. I want to install Path of Exile on a SSD right now but I have a feeling Steam makes a ton of space or something and does a lot of writing even for little patches, which POE has a ton of and frequently. I'm just realizing that there may be a non Steam client so I'll probably hop on that soon.

I'm quoting myself from another thread, this is not related to Steam at all:

That's mostly due to engines like UE4 and Frostbite, at that step Steam is "installing" the update, meaning it has to unpack and repack huge files depending on the game. It's not Steam's fault but mostly the fault of excessive filesizes and slow storage-mediums for games. The same happens in Origin with Battlefield too for example or even on the PS4 when it's at the "Copying..." step for updates.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm quoting myself from another thread, this is not related to Steam at all:
It looks like this game + steam is just a bad pair.

HenryG_Valve 10 points · 2 years ago

This is true. Steam uses the space to create a temporary backup copy of each file that is being patched. We do this because we have no idea if your internet or wifi will cut out during the download, or if your PC will shut down, or if Steam will crash for some reason. If any of those things happen and the patch is only halfway done, and we didn't have the backup files, then the game would be in a totally broken state and wouldn't be playable until you got online again and Steam could do a full re-download of the broken files.​
Back when games were 5-10 GB this was totally uncontroversial. Now that many games are in the 20-50 GB range, it's kind of annoying. We could add a prompt like "If your computer or internet access shut down for any reason during the patch process, you may have to redownload the game" and make you click the "I'm a Cowboy" button. But I think you can understand that even if we do that, it will generate a lot of angry people saying "I went on vacation and took my laptop and I don't have internet access and MY GAME DOESNT WORK" and asking for refunds.​
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I wonder, if I have steam installed on a HDD, and Steam version of Steam on a SSD if it makes that back up file on the SSD using up writes wearing it down each patch of games like this and FFXII (big chunky files which take ages to patch for the micro (stability or denuvo update?) patch downloads SE tend to put out for that game).

Deleted member 7948

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rounded user pics and the ability to crop them.

This is 2019 for fucks sake, where else do you have square avatars? Jesus fucking christ.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

This is 2019 for fucks sake, where else do you have square avatars? Jesus fucking christ.
16544.jpg

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like this game + steam is just a bad pair.

HenryG_Valve 10 points · 2 years ago

This is true. Steam uses the space to create a temporary backup copy of each file that is being patched. We do this because we have no idea if your internet or wifi will cut out during the download, or if your PC will shut down, or if Steam will crash for some reason. If any of those things happen and the patch is only halfway done, and we didn't have the backup files, then the game would be in a totally broken state and wouldn't be playable until you got online again and Steam could do a full re-download of the broken files.​
Back when games were 5-10 GB this was totally uncontroversial. Now that many games are in the 20-50 GB range, it's kind of annoying. We could add a prompt like "If your computer or internet access shut down for any reason during the patch process, you may have to redownload the game" and make you click the "I'm a Cowboy" button. But I think you can understand that even if we do that, it will generate a lot of angry people saying "I went on vacation and took my laptop and I don't have internet access and MY GAME DOESNT WORK" and asking for refunds.​
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I wonder, if I have steam installed on a HDD, and Steam version of Steam on a SSD if it makes that back up file on the SSD using up writes wearing it down each patch of games like this and FFXII (big chunky files which take ages to patch for the micro (stability or denuvo update?) patch downloads SE tend to put out for that game).

From what I know Steam will always have its working-directory on the same drive the game is installed on and not on the drive the Steam-Client is installed on. Meaning that if you have the game installed on a HDD the patching will take place there and if you have the game installed on a SSD the patching will take place there. Honestly it's something Steam can't do right no matter what they do, they could implement a "Safe/Unsafe Patching" toggle in the options but even that will lead to angry customers one way or another. The only way the problem will go away proper is when mechanical drives are fully phased-out and replaced with reliable, fast and affordable SSDs, which will eventually happen but still takes a few more years I assume.

I agree with you on the cropping but what the heck has a shape to do with the year? Square avatars are not inherently antiquated o.o

Deleted member 7948

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Talking seriously now, I wish I could choose which DLCs are going to be installed before steam starts allocating space for the game. I know I can uncheck them as soon as the process starts, but it isn't an ideal solution.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • add an FPS counter to Big Picture Mode
  • improve Big Picture Mode
  • better discovery tools
  • remove the stupid restrictions on offline mode
  • redesign the mobile client and make pages display correctly on 18:9 phone displays

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the Path of Exile Steam problem could be solved if hitting play on Steam ran a Path of Exile launcher instead of the game exe itself, so it could handle the patching. I'm pretty sure most MMOs on Steam do this.
Warframe does that too. Though I'm not sure what Warframe's files are like, the patches are usually very fast for small updates and hotfixes.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I'll double down on a universal library like Galaxy, with the added perk of the Steam overlay being able to hook every game from every launcher and inject Steam input support without fail. Also:

• Multiplayer compatibility layer for games with dead servers. Intercepts the game's attempts to connect to the original servers and tricks it to using dedicated Valve servers instead.
  • Rivatuner-like per-game fps capping as a feature in the overlay when you hit shift+tab.
  • Make community sections for games more prominent in UI (I forget they exist most of the time, potentially missing out on mods and other stuff)
  • Make a separate (and prominent) section for community "fixes" (like blur or microstutter fixes) for games. I'm tired of having to Google a problem and download some file from a guy's Dropbox and then drag it somewhere into a game's folder. Let there be a dedicated place for each game to put that sort of content so we can just click a big green "subscribe" button to install a fix in one click.
  • Maybe make a mod manager pop-out window for each game that you can use to keep track of mods for games. Something similar to the Nexus mod manager.
  • A Steam input binding to spoof your controller to be recognized by Windows as an Xbox One controller, allowing usage where Steam input might normally not work well (like Origin games).

spool

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be really thankful if BPM would stop opening on the wrong monitor when you have more than one. It's like it makes a check to see which monitor is set to primary, and then deliberately picks another one. And BPM is really slow, clunky, and buggy overall.

Patch notes would be nice too. I'm not sure what's up with the News page they link you to when you use the option to view update history, because it almost never says anything about patches, and in fact for older games it often doesn't contain anything useful about the game at all.

The fucking patch scheduling, you should be able to force it to start a download.

The cards and vouchers you get that makes that button in the client turn green, forcing you to click it and wait 10 seconds for your inventory to load, just so that you can get rid of the notification. I don't do that anymore. It'll just have to stay green forever. Something should be done about it.

And speaking of notifications, we should be able to customize them. I need the overlay to be on, but I don't want any messages about anything ever.

And speaking as a Linux user, I really don't like software that has their own UI as opposed to looking and functioning like a native application. I know this is accepted practice on Windows, but foreign feeling software on my desktop really rubs me the wrong way. Like, middle-click paste doesn't work. Just something like that. It's frustrating. I'm sure their engineers did this because they figure they can do better. They can't. They really, really can't.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate Steams leveling system

I'd much prefer the PS trophy and Xbox achievements style of points system. The badges thing is shite.