• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Why change? Three years after its release, the Switch can still do something that no other console or mobile phone can currently do - play AAA quality console games on the go. It'll be years before mobile phones can do the same, and even then, some people won't want to play them on a tiny mobile screen.

Now that 3rd party developers have seen how many units this thing sells, more might jump on board a Switch 2 with better power. Imagine playing PS4 pro type games on a tablet? People will go nuts.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
The point I tried to make was how do they continue the Switch model while giving it the power third party devs need?

Either, make a Switch Pro Model that can boost the Switch's power so they can support these devs plus get their fans to buy into a new Switch Models or if you're saying without making a whole new model, make a new dock that provides more power for the current and future Switch models? Why can't that be a potential solution? Make a whole new dock, have it upgrade the power and do things like supporting a stable 60fps for most games or at least first party, also have it support up to 4K for TVs and make It an option that old games can be patched to have an "enhanced dock mode".

Jun 10, 2018
The stationary console centric bias this forum has is honestly frustrating sometimes.

It should be clear as day Nintendo isn't straying from the handheld hybrid approach, no matter what Sony and Microsoft does. The Switch brings together the two things the company has always been able to sell - portables and software - while still allowing them to exist in an adjacent market virtually unopposed by a direct competitor. The only technological requirements we can (and should) expect from the eventual Switch successor is that it maintains parity with high-end/premium mobile devices.

Nintendo however is never EVER going back to creating stationary home consoles. The 30+ years of sales data where they achieved a 50% success rate during that span, and where it completely bottomed out with the Wii U, is the exact reason why Nintendo went hybrid in the first place.

Jan 11, 2018
Whatever there next console is will be undercooked again, yet they'll continue to pump out some of the best games in the industry. They need to avoid what happened with the Wii U following the success of the Wii, obviously, and both hardware and software should continue to do insane numbers.

I know they've said VR is out for now, but in time I think they'll jump in at some point, whether its with their next system or not.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
They repeat the switch with limited third party support again, at least with the technology that exists. Maybe if they get into streaming like Stadia onto dedicated hardware they can have 3rd party. For the foreseeable future though, if they are portable there will be many compromises to get 3rd parties.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
The stationary console centric bias this forum has is honestly frustrating sometimes.

It should be clear as day Nintendo isn't straying from the handheld hybrid approach, no matter what Sony and Microsoft does. The Switch brings together the two things the company has always been able to sell - portables and software - while still allowing them to exist in an adjacent market virtually unopposed by a direct competitor. The only technological requirements we can (and should) expect from the eventual Switch successor is that it maintains parity with high-end/premium mobile devices.

Nintendo however is never EVER going back to creating stationary home consoles. The 30+ years of sales data where they achieved a 50% success rate during that span, and where it completely bottomed out with the Wii U, is the exact reason why Nintendo went hybrid in the first place.
I agree with this. Well stated.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
The point I tried to make was how do they continue the Switch model while giving it the power third party devs need?

What do you mean need? I mean third parties would prefer that it was on par with PS5/XSX as that might make their jobs easier.

But Switch is getting third party support. It might not have as much as we'd all want, but it's not non existent. If the next console is the same type of hit that this one seems to be on track for it won't have any problem having some third party support.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they need to fix their account system. like, i need to be able to wipe a switch, sell it, and then have access to redownload digital purchases on a new one by signing in. those should be the only steps.

denseWorm

Banned
May 15, 2020
I guess they'll just do what they have been doing, sidestep the graphics race and convince old/new users that their games have a gameplay point of difference that elevates them above the more expensive console options out there. Kena seems to be a BotW clone (that's not a bad thing).. Seems like Sony might be trying to dominate this market too... But like in the past maybe they'll price themselves out of it... Guess we'll just see.

Keep doing what they've been doing, bring out a new handheld that has more amazing graphics and processing capabilities... I wonder if Nintendo mightn't be the first company to release 3D hologram technology :P a pat'able e-pet~

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Make Switch again, but better

How to improve for third party devs? Use that NSO money to improve the FUCK out of their online. Work harder with Nvidia to bring Ray Tracing cores and DLSS to their next mobile chips.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Keep doing what they have been doing. Be that 'second' hybrid console that everyone has for those first party games and games that do well portably.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
I have a dream for a Switch successor that combines the functionality of all the Nintendo consoles ever made, giving the user like 5 different ways to play instead of the current 2.

When detached, the larger and more ergonomic Joy Con 2's both function like Wiimote +'s (a small form light bar is included for the TV, and a second one is discretely built into the tablet piece). When playing at home you could also sit on the couch with the console in your hands and connect wirelessly to the dock 2.0 which now also lets you play games dual screened, Wii U/3DS style. A stylus is included and can be holstered in the console. And obviously you could still also play games purely in handheld mode or purely in docked mode like the current Switch - this would just be bringing dual screens back purely as an option, this time keeping the chipset in the tablet.

Give devs the freedom on a game-by-game basis to decide how many of those features they want to implement, and you'd basically have the functionality of every Nintendo console ever made. Would be great for the developers, and any previous Nintendo game ever could eventually join the library in all of its original glory.

Imagine Metroid Prime in HD with Wiimote controls at home, or play it with dual analog sticks on the train, and have Warioware style touchscreen gaming and so on all in one device.

Last edited:

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I hope they explore something really novel, a hybrid with optional eGPU-like upgrade for hardcore enthusiasts. They found a sweet spot this generation that allowed them to get things like Fortnite, Rocket League, and respectable or even impressive ports of games considering the tech disparity. The new consoles are a whole different story... non AAA games and indies will still be possible, but a lot of stuff people currently find attractive will be harder to pull off next time IMO.

I'd love to see what they'd do with full finger motion control and VR - and we're not getting that if they stick the course. I know you guys say it would be bananas to do anything other than a Switch 2, but Nintendo have never really made the obvious play. I want to be surprised.

I hope the reason Switch and NSO aren't getting big meaningful updates is that they're improving them for next time around too.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Stick with the hybrid concept & continue to make great games. Nintendo has nothing to fear, & they have no real reason to be a copy off of Microsoft & Sony by going the raw power route. That shit is what had led to higher development costs & years of development regarding AAA games.

The only thing that they need to do, is fix the online multiplayer.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Invest in streaming, and give the Switch' successor 4G capabilities. Have the best cloud service ever.

Doing all that wouldn't be cheap, but it would fit Nintendo's style better than making beefier hardware.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Gaming has clearly peaked.

I think this is the perfect time to get back into playing cards.

Weston

Oct 29, 2017
If anybody can bring VR to the masses it's Nintendo. I think Labo VR proved that even with low spec hardware VR can be really engaging.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Honestly, probably just keep doing what they're doing. The Switch has been really successful, it's probably going to still be around for another few years at least.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Full mobile gaming, selling only companion accessories as physical hardware. Starting with Pokemon go, they are doing that more and more.

That or they will ship you to space and provide a zero gravity experience.

Oct 26, 2017
Continue to not get games like Red Redemption 2 while putting out the best games in the industry, business as usual

The PS5 doesn't really change much for them as they weren't getting many AAA or even AA multiplatform titles anyways. There are still some PS4/XB1 games that can make their way over, indie support shouldn't be affected at all, and it's not like they won't have a few of their own 3rd party exclusives. Then you have their own games and there's plenty of big stuff we haven't seen too much of yet, like a new 3D Mario, BotW 2, Metroid Prime 4, Monolith Soft's next game, and whatever new IP or retro revival they'll pull off. Once the Switch 2 is out in 2023/2024, they'll go right back to getting the occasional AAA / AA multiplatform title here and there alongside everything else

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I don't know if the technology will be there to make it work the way I want it, but what I want is the opposite of a Wii U, with a gamepad streaming to the TV. Seems the next logical step for a hybrid console, and we can finally get asymmetric multiplayer again.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Would a device be possible that could be a lesser powered, scaled down console when in handheld mode, but has a dock that contains the beefiest components which directly connect to the handheld console whilst docked? Is this complete nonsense and the components can't just be separated like this?

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo doesn't need to do anything. They have the IPs to remain successful for the next century.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
The market that Ninty is carving either doesn't care for next gen or complements next gen. Nintendo will be fine. Release a Switch 2 without raytracing support and every game suddenly becomes viable. People underestimate how computationally expensive RT is.

RealDealRusty

Jan 8, 2019
I feel like they continue what they're doing. The switch doesn't even compete hardware-wise with current-gen, so why would they change that just for the new-gen? They compete by offering quality first-party titles and the ability to play games portably, which the others don't. Yeah, I think we'll get a switch successor, which will be a hybrid and maybe even a Switch pro, but I don't think they keep doing what they're doing right now.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Third parties will always make an excuse to not support Nintendo.
all their excuses have been valid, even since the N64 nintendo's refusal to play ball with current technology (whether it was standard discs with N64/GC or the poor hardware of wii and beyond) has been a wall for third parties

Jun 23, 2019
Nintendo doesn't need to do anything. They have the IPs to remain successful for the next century.

So Nintendo doesn't need 3rd party games? Good lord the hubris sometimes. If anyone should be asking any questions, they should be asking how will Nintendo deal with 3rd parties utilizing the power of SSDs for their games while having to scale down massively for the Switch? Or are we just going to ignore that and posted another "Nintendo is doomed!" meme?

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Nintendo doesn't need 3rd party games? Good lord the hubris sometimes. If anyone should be asking any questions, they should be asking how will Nintendo deal with 3rd parties utilizing the power of SSDs for their games while having to scale down massively for the Switch? Or are we just going to ignore that and posted another "Nintendo is doomed!" meme?

Nintendo have managed quite well without major support from 3rd parties, so no. See: NPD, MC. They are fortunate to have built a gargantuan line-up of successful first party IPs.

Jun 23, 2019
Nintendo have managed quite well without major support from 3rd parties, so no. See: NPD, MC. They are fortunate to have built a gargantuan line-up of successful first party IPs.

tenor.gif

Oct 31, 2017
It would be most likely a Switch 2 (with backwards compatibility of the first one) for me but I don't think of it happening any sooner. Maybe release around 2022?

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Oh my god look at the time! Its Nintendo Doomed time already!

Nintendo to leave the console space and become hanafuda card maker when?