• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Culture is the single most common reason to learn another language. I learned english because i wanted to play games that didn't come out in my region and watch TV shows that got here late.

People wanting to learn Japanese to better understand anime or Korean to understand Pop Lyrics is a 100% valid reason to learn a language and tbh, i'm mystified by the mindset that there would be a "correct" reason to learn another language. If some drop out of the beginners course because it's hard then that's really not a big issue.

There's few things more productive than learning more languages. Knowing 3 fluently has given me more jobs than all my other qualifications combined.

Pretty much. If someone told me they learned French because they loved Tintin or something I'd find it funny but cool.

There's no 'valid' reason to learn a language. And I mean, the initial reason doesn't really matter much anymore once you've put in the thousands of hours it takes to become really good at a language.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Watching any kind of anime/manga makes you a weeb/weeaboo in my book. No exceptions. How much does my random opinion matters? That's up to you.

It's not like I'm going around shaming people for watching japanese cartoons or whatever. I just judge them silently and feel severly sorry for them, but won't voice it out loud. So keep fucking those body pillows, enjoy life, it's too short to care about people who don't like the things you do.

Just don't be one of those anime freaks who are into being homophobes/racist/mysoginistic. God knows why those things seem to be related.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, and about the language thing? I learned english playing videogames, not because I remotely like the USA or England, it's just that it has been useful to speak with people of other countries and has given me advantages in my job. I completely dislike the languate though. Feels so repetitive. Why would anyone care about the motive of wanting to learn to be "true" or whatever.

Anyway, back to my German lessons while Rammstein is blasting in the background.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Dismissing all dubs on principle, regardless of actual quality even if the individual doesn't speak any Japanese, is a telltale sign of a weeb.
Everything is inherently superior just for being Japanese to a weeaboo.
Nah, you're wrong. Hating dubs in general has nothing to do with being a weeb. Anime is not the only medium that gets dubbed. I can see how someone living within an English speaking bubble might think that but for other countries dubs can really ruin a movie.
Since the English speaking market is so big they can spend big bucks on the dub. Other, smaller countries might not get that VIP treatment and end up with really bad dubs. I personally hate German dubs. As an American / German I only ever watch movies and TV shows in their original English dub.
On the other hand, the Netflix Original "Dark" is a German show with German actors. I watched that in German because it's obviously superior to the English dub. In what world would any form of media ever not be superior in its original form?
You can argue about convenience since some people might not want to read subs or that the dub might be "good enough", which some certainly are, but the original will always be superior.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
As others have mentioned, it's kind of up to the eye of the beholder. I think some characteristics are:

1) Engagement in anime/manga/japanese video games
2) Being white, and often being American
3) Poor social skills
4) Relating to others only through consumption patterns, i.e. aforementioned anime, video games, or manga.
5) A shallow understanding of Japan, based on idealization and with little to no understanding of Japanese history
6) A shallow understanding of Japan, based on anime/video games/manga
7) Lack of self-awareness.
8) Fetishization of Japanese, and Asians more broadly.

I don't think you need to have all of these characteristics but having more than a few of these makes you a weeb.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Pretty much. If someone told me they learned French because they loved Tintin or something I'd find it funny but cool.

There's no 'valid' reason to learn a language. And I mean, the initial reason doesn't really matter much anymore once you've put in the thousands of hours it takes to become really good at a language.
I'd agree 99% of the time. But there were way too many guys in the Japanese class who were clear that they were just learning it to complete their dream of traveling to Japan and dating a Japanese girl. I can't validate reasons like that lol.

Say no to fetishizing a culture

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Say no to fetishizing a culture
It's...pretty much why I avoid revealing I'm mexican most of the time in the internet. There's always the comments of "oh yeah, amigo, tequila, burrito, tacos, cinco de mayo, woo-hoo" and thinking we're listening to mariachi music non-stop, basically from Americans. They don't even want to know our country, they just seem to like a cartoon made up from stereotypes.

Just uh, if you like our country that's cool. Just avoid thinking that we all use sombreros all the time or using americanized versions of piñatas and thinking we only drink tequila or we're always passed out drunk next to a cactus, please.

I think I went a bit offtopic there but that's the thing that annoys me a lot from my past experiences when talking to people outside my country. Can't say I have had more good than bad.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Anime watcher/manga reader just consumes the media and probably have a normal discussion about the said media from time to time. Like a normal hobby.

A weeb unhealthily overconsumes the media to the point it took over their life and they become obnoxious .

Overconsumption of media/hobby is why we got the term : nerds, weebs, Bronies, 'gamers', otakus.etc

Oct 27, 2017
A weeaboo is someone who believes they are an expert on Japanese culture because they watched an anime and believe that's how Japan is. They are also known for fetishism towards Japanese people and believing that Japan is the best country at everything (even ignoring the flaws and problems of the country) which results in them shunning their own country and culture.

Now don't get me wrong Japan has plenty of great cultural elements and things but to believe it can do no bad? That's just nonesense.

Anime and Manga fans are just fans that like the medium.

Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, you're wrong. Hating dubs in general has nothing to do with being a weeb. Anime is not the only medium that gets dubbed. I can see how someone living within an English speaking bubble might think that but for other countries dubs can really ruin a movie.
Since the English speaking market is so big they can spend big bucks on the dub. Other, smaller countries might not get that VIP treatment and end up with really bad dubs. I personally hate German dubs. As an American / German I only ever watch movies and TV shows in their original English dub.
On the other hand, the Netflix Original "Dark" is a German show with German actors. I watched that in German because it's obviously superior to the English dub. In what world would any form of media ever not be superior in its original form?
You can argue about convenience since some people might not want to read subs or that the dub might be "good enough", which some certainly are, but the original will always be superior.
I can only speak for quality of English dubs specifically, can't personally judge the state of dubbing into other languages beyond second-hand reports, something that I could've clarified earlier. Preference of sub vs. dub will always be subjective, yet even then it's by no means a fact that the original is always superior, as rare as a localization being regarded as better rather than on par with something happens to be (i.e., Shinichiro Watanabe himself regarding the dub of Cowboy Bebop as superior to the original). It's that stubborn treatment of the issue as an objective truth that gets grating.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I can only speak for quality of English dubs specifically, can't personally judge the state of dubbing into other languages beyond second-hand reports, something that I could've clarified earlier. Preference of sub vs. dub will always be subjective, yet even then it's by no means a fact that the original is always superior, as rare as a localization being regarded as better rather than on par with something happens to be (i.e., Shinichiro Watanabe regarding the dub of Cowboy Bebop as superior to the original). It's that stubborn treatment of the issue as an objective truth that gets grating.
I accept that there might be that one off instance where the dub might be considered better than the original. Maybe the original budget was low and they couldn't get good voice actors but then the series took off and they had a bigger budget to work with for the localization but I consider those instances to be fringe cases that don't really skew the numbers. Like I said, it becomes much more apparent once you leave the English speaking bubble.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Based on many years of reading Weeb forums, my Weeb warning signs. If 2 or more of these apply, you're probably a weeb.

Anime Avatar
You regularly watch more than one anime
You regularly read manga
90% of the video games you play are Japanese
You insist on playing a video game with Japanese audio even when your native language dub is available
You collect traditional Japanese things
You've attended an anime convention
You own anime themed clothing
You took Japanese as a foreign language in school
You defend Japan in any discussion about WW2 or immigration

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
Based on my experiences:
A normal person who watches anime is willing to call out the problematic or gross bullshit that they might encounter or read about in a series, in the fandom, the industry, or even Japan itself and doesn't hold anime (or manga) on some pedestal as the greatest medium that God ever blessed upon this Earth nor do they treat Japan as some sacred holy ground of a country that is absolutely perfect and does nothing wrong.

A weeb is the opposite.

(God I still find it weird that the 'main' anime fandom I participate in, which is literally for a franchise aimed at elementary school-aged girls, is more mature and less tolerant of bullshit and gross creeps than other anime fandoms. But I guess that also comes with the territory of being a small fandom, easier to self-police and call out the bullshit and warn people of the gross people when it happens)

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite copypastas:

c07.png
I love this lol

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dismissing all dubs on principle, regardless of actual quality even if the individual doesn't speak any Japanese, is a telltale sign of a weeb.

Everything is inherently superior just for being Japanese to a weeaboo.
All I know is if you dismissed all dubs you'd miss out on Ghost Stories dub. And that's a travesty.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Weeabo is a derogatory term that people can just toss out at any moment to win an argument in their eyes. I doubt many people qualify to be what many people think one is.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I know Japanese and by definition that means I'm not a weeb (started learning before I got into Japanese nerd culture), but I'll be the first to say I'm a degenerate weeb and anyone else who watches anime is a weeb as well. Own it.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
One of my favorite copypastas:

c07.png

There's a Taiwanese dude in my lab that reminds me of this lol. Dude sometimes comes to the lab in full medieval armour (metal chainmail, gauntlets, tabard, helmet, sword, etc. – it looks pretty legit) and he's really into nerdy stuff like Star Wars. Cool guy but seeing him walk in knight's attire around campus always makes me do a double take lol

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Guten Tag Resetera, my name is Junpei Schmitt

177181b947c9fb7dc6fdcfe7edf8aec6.jpg

I'm a 29 year old Tatortian (Tatort fan for you Ausländer). I make my own sausages and brew my own beer, and spend my days perfecting my skills and playing superior german games. (Omnibussimulator, Autobahn Raser)

I train with my Tiger Panzer every day, this superior weapon can shoot over 2500 metres and is vastly superior to any other weapon on earth. I earned my tank driving licence 3 years ago, and i have been getting better every day.

I speak german fluently, both the bavarian and berliner accents, and i write fluently as well. I know everything about german history and their Grundgesetz, which i follow 100%.

When i get my Schengen visa, i will be moving to Munich to attend a prestigious Fachhochschule to learn more about their wunderbare culture. I hope i can become a b-list actor for the Öffentliche Rundfunk or a Schlager singer!

i own several Lederhosen which i wear around town. I want to get used to wearing them before i move to Germany, so i can fit in easier. I speak german as often as i can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond.

Wish me luck Deutschland!

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
A weeaboo is someone who believes they are an expert on Japanese culture because they watched an anime and believe that's how Japan is. They are also known for fetishism towards Japanese people and believing that Japan is the best country at everything (even ignoeing the flaws and problems of the country) which results in them shunning they own country and culture.

Now don't get me wrong Japan has plenty of great cultural elements and things but to believe it can do no bad? That's just nonesense.

Anime and Manga fans are just fans that like the medium.
Are you suggesting that Japan isn't perfect!?!?!! RACIST!

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much everything in this thread except for some of the woke posts, though I'd also argue that reading manga is more weeb than watching anime, ceteris paribus.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
From what I can tell, it generally means one of two things depending on what group you're in.

For people into anime and manga, it tends to be people who argue about how subs are always better than dubs and insist on using certain Japanese terms instead of English terms that work fine as a substitute.

For people not that into anime and manga, it generally means people who defend the really problematic parts a lot of anime has.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
There's a Taiwanese dude in my lab that reminds me of this lol. Dude sometimes comes to the lab in full medieval armour (metal chainmail, gauntlets, tabard, helmet, sword, etc. – it looks pretty legit) and he's really into nerdy stuff like Star Wars. Cool guy but seeing him walk in knight's attire around campus always makes me do a double take lol

Wat

Guten Tag Resetera, my name is Junpei Schmitt

177181b947c9fb7dc6fdcfe7edf8aec6.jpg

I'm a 29 year old Tatortian (Tatort fan for you Ausländer). I make my own sausages and brew my own beer, and spend my days perfecting my skills and playing superior german games. (Omnibussimulator, Autobahn Raser)

I train with my Tiger Panzer every day, this superior weapon can shoot over 2500 metres and is vastly superior to any other weapon on earth. I earned my tank driving licence 3 years ago, and i have been getting better every day.

I speak german fluently, both the bavarian and berliner accents, and i write fluently as well. I know everything about german history and their Grundgesetz, which i follow 100%.

When i get my Schengen visa, i will be moving to Munich to attend a prestigious Fachhochschule to learn more about their wunderbare culture. I hope i can become a b-list actor for the Öffentliche Rundfunk or a Schlager singer!

i own several Lederhosen which i wear around town. I want to get used to wearing them before i move to Germany, so i can fit in easier. I speak german as often as i can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond.

Wish me luck Deutschland!

Now, let's not drag Takeo into this crap.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Using random Japanese words is regular conversation.
I assume you're referring to people who do this OUTSIDE of Japan.

The inevitable reality of living in Japan for years is that some words you remember better in Japanese than in English, and they come out in normal conversation around others that speak both Japanese and English.

This is the same for bilingual people who speak both languages in their household.

The definition of a weeb for those of us who have lived in Japan for years varies, I think.

Usually it means 1) Someone who thinks Japan is flawless and it's the perfect country, and lecture others on it, despite only having lived in japan for a year, or 2) Someone that entrenches them in Japanese culture at a cursory level, but in no meaningful way (ie. has a kimono, and fetishizes Japanese imagery, but never learns Japanese or tries to fit in or converse with their locals).

Last edited:

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People who obsess with Japanese culture to the point they come off as if they want to be Japanese. Also if anime, manga, and Japanese games are their only hobbies.

Another good indicator is if they think any dub is bad since it not the "authentic Japanese language version". Also ironically inserting Japanese lingo/terminology into everyday English speech.

Also anyone who refers to "My Hero Acadamia" as "Boku no Hero Academia".

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Answer yes or no to any of the below then you are good.
Watched Pokemon as a child?
Watched Dragon Ball Z or the other similar ones in your teens?
Watched a few anime on CNX, Toonami, Netflix, Adult Swim or Vice?
Watched/read the most well regarded anime by non-anime critics like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, studio ghibli and Perfect Blue?
Watched/read something out of curiosity or a recommendation?

If you answer yes to any of the below you are a weeb regardless of any answers to the above.
An adult and still watching/playing Pokemon for anything more than a nostalgia trip or you have a child that watches it?
An adult and still watching DBZ those other shows for anything other than nostalgia or have a teen that watches it?
Do you have a collection of anime/manga?
Do you subscribe to an anime/manga streaming service?
Have you never been to Japan yet think it's culturally superior?
Do you wear clothing with characters or references to anime/manga?
Is your knowledge of Japan based around anime/manga and have no idea about real Japan?
If you lived in Japan would you be considered a massive nerd by their standards?
Do you own dolls and call them action-figures?

I think that covers the very basics.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I low-key feel that weeaboo is often used as a dog whistle for racists to hate on Asian culture.

Weeaboos are guys who fetishizes one specific Asian country because "they make games/anime I like"

How do you think it's hate for Asian culture in general?

It's not like weebs are going to be respective of Japanese customs and history.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Basically think of normal people who play video games vs people who post on ResetEra.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Answer yes or no to any of the below then you are good.
Watched Pokemon as a child?
Watched Dragon Ball Z or the other similar ones in your teens?
Watched a few anime on CNX, Toonami, Netflix, Adult Swim or Vice?
Watched/read the most well regarded anime by non-anime critics like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, studio ghibli and Perfect Blue?
Watched/read something out of curiosity or a recommendation?

If you answer yes to any of the below you are a weeb regardless of any answers to the above.
An adult and still watching/playing Pokemon for anything more than a nostalgia trip or you have a child that watches it?
An adult and still watching DBZ those other shows for anything other than nostalgia or have a teen that watches it?
Do you have a collection of anime/manga?
Do you subscribe to an anime/manga streaming service?
Have you never been to Japan yet think it's culturally superior?
Do you wear clothing with characters or references to anime/manga?
Is your knowledge of Japan based around anime/manga and have no idea about real Japan?
If you lived in Japan would you be considered a massive nerd by their standards?
Do you own dolls and call them action-figures?

I think that covers the very basics.

Arent new Pokemon games still good games?

I still have my collection of anime, because I dont really want to throw it away or sell it(well some shit I sold)

I still have some Manga because again I dont really want to sell the stuff, but I barely read my older stuff its just collecting dust cept when my little cousins come over and ask why its black and white instead of like my other comics(yes they just call them comics) which are Marvel/DC/Image stuff so in color.

Does still watching DragonBall Super count? Or is it specifically DBZ?

Since ive answered yes to a number of the questions....I must be a weeb?
Note in my home country pretty much everyone born in the 80s and 90s is pretty much a weeb, because a good number of cartoons that played on TV were anime, finding out there was DVDs/VHSs and comics(manga) for the cartoon led to people saving up to see what happens next(internet wasnt as prevalent).

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
Based on many years of reading Weeb forums, my Weeb warning signs. If 2 or more of these apply, you're probably a weeb.

Anime Avatar
You regularly watch more than one anime
You regularly read manga
90% of the video games you play are Japanese
You insist on playing a video game with Japanese audio even when your native language dub is available
You collect traditional Japanese things
You've attended an anime convention
You own anime themed clothing
You took Japanese as a foreign language in school
You defend Japan in any discussion about WW2 or immigration

One of the things is not like the others.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
A weeb will identify as an anime boy/girl online and talk shit, ie waifu wars.

They're likely to misinterpret things to be a cultural thing and will go to lengths to defend that. Act as if they get personally offended when a work gets genuine criticism. Like they see themselves as advocates of Japan, but they're unlikely to visit, learn Japanese or be concerned about Japanese society. So you shouldn't confuse them with Japanophiles.

While politically they can differ, you'll see quite a few align with the alt right.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
A weeaboo to me is just a dude who tries to use Japanese randomly. Like saying "Nani?!". They also claim Japan is the best country and better than x just because they make their favorite anime.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'd say the following are the signs of a weeaboo

1) instant hate for all English dubs regardless of quality

2) hate for any changes in localization that are designed to better translate a concept or joke into English

3) ignoring the official English title of a series, often given by the creators themselves, in favor of the romanji name ie calling it boku no hero academia instead of my hero academia

4) someone who "can't wait" for the official release so they find pirated copies so they can be the first to have read/watched

5) uses random Japanese phrases unironically in a normal conversation