• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Within 2 miles I am willing to bet that I could find:

Alligators
Coyotes
Opossums
Racoons
Squirrels
Blue Jays
Quaker Parrots
Cardinals
Pelicans
Manatees
Ducks
Dolphins
And probably a lot more

So, whichever one of those is most interesting to someone from out of the area I guess

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I'm in Florida and within 2 miles of a spring, so take your pick between manatees, alligators, rattlesnakes, coral snakes, hognose snakes, a ton of cool bats, snapping turtles, black widows, praying mantises...

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Probably Peregrine Falcons, cool because they are the fastest thing on the planet

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I see tons of turkeys walking around Boston and Cambridge routinely. Saw a turkey up in a tree the other day and it was calling out, super loudly

Saw some deer the other day in Hingham

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
big_skate_400.jpg

the Bay has some wild shit in its waters

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
The coyotes of Griffith Park are my spirit animals. You have to go there at the crack of dawn for the best chance to see them, as they're afraid of humans. Once I saw a whole family of five, including a little pup. It's tough taking long-distance shots of them with my phone's camera, but I lucked out with this beauty:

20190108_083036uukpw.jpg

They also roam down in my neighborhood every now and then to dig through trash.

I want a coyote :(

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Marmosets, which are monkeys that behave essentially like squirrels.

F1.large.jpg

There are some woods nearby that have stuff like iguanas and sloths as well. I've seen them occasionally at university.

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
5 km is over 3 miles.

But, like deer? There have been some brown bear sightings every now and then but they don't stay around here regularly.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The coyotes of Griffith Park are my spirit animals. You have to go there at the crack of dawn for the best chance to see them, as they're afraid of humans. Once I saw a whole family of five, including a little pup. It's tough taking long-distance shots of them with my phone's camera, but I lucked out with this beauty:

20190108_083036uukpw.jpg

That is possible..but its more than likely they are eating the neihborhood's cats.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020

20190108_083036uukpw.jpg

Did you take this photo?? Its an awesome shot! Great work!

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I live on the edge of a regular sized Dutch city and since a year or so a tawny owl has been roosting nearby. I can hear its calls every night and sometimes it even sounds like it's right outside our house, figuratively speaking.

As far as residential areas go, the place is fairly forested. But I had never thought one would make its nest here.

There's a small forest on the edge of the residential area, about a kilometer south from where I live, and if you cross it, you'll end up in the meadows where many deer can be seen, especially around sunrise. I also remember researching foxes for a school assignment when I was in elementary school, and me and my friend actually found tracks of it nearby. I assume the one we found wasn't the only one.

Lastly, wolves have been sighted in the Netherlands. I haven't heard anything about one appearing near my hometown, but since these guys' territories are huge, one might have been here at some point.

Last edited:

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Hey OP - 5k is actually 3.1 miles :)

I live near the beach in San Diego so there are all kinds of cool animals to choose from.

Ocean:
  • Seals
  • Sea Lions
  • Sting Rays - i've been stung pretty bad, had to get stiches
  • Leopard Sharks - you can snorkle with hundreds of them every summer as they look for mates and food when the weather warms the ocean
  • Great Whites have been spotted a within a hundred meters of the shore
  • Grey Whales
  • Dolphins
Land:
  • mountain lion - you'll never see one but they are here
  • coyotes
  • parrots
  • rattlesnakes
I'm probably missing some cool ones but those are all I could think of

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Deer, rabbits and boars. There are also supposed to be foxes around here but I've never seen one.

Oct 26, 2017
I have a pair of swallows nesting in the recess that my front door is built into.

Beyond that, deer, owls, foxes, heron, hedgehogs, grey squirrels (possibly red too) weasels and I've even seen a kingfisher once.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Actual picture of 1 of 4 bears (2 large cubs, mom, dad) around our house. They venture through our yards almost every evening this time of year.

Picture is from my neighbor's trail camera 2 weeks ago.

18305fwj2i.jpg

machine

Oct 25, 2017
From the balcony of my condo I have seen raccoons, opossums, feral cats, fox squirrels, grey squirrels, woodchucks, chipmunks, rabbits, and a large variety of birds including robins, cardinals, mourning doves, chickadees, sparrows, starlings, crows, goldfinches, blue jays, and red-tailed hawks. If I went a mile or two down the road to a park I can also see skunks, deer, coyotes, ducks, geese, herons, and several other species.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I guess I think these are the coolest sights I've got where I'm at within a couple miles

N5iQxtb.jpg

sl4Hr4zl.jpg

JKG8y6Kl.jpg

96fPln2.jpg

UxEgJ20.jpg

Though not all of them are common sights.

L176

Jan 10, 2019
I live in a center of a city so there is very little wild forests in the 5km radius. There is how ever a bird sanctuary inside the city limits which has quite a variety of birds. It's very popular with bird watchers. I'm just terrible with birds so I don't know what is the coolest. If I would go 15km or more you would find moose and maybe even wolves (they are very rare).

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Oh yeah, tons of herons here too. There are two ponds basically next door and there are usually a bunch of them around, snooping for fish. Sometimes these fuckers land in my backyard to try and empty my small garden pond.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
i've seen a really fat raccoon running around my neighborhood. ive only ever seen him too.

Antagon

Nov 4, 2017
Pond behind the house:
Canadian geese (surprisingly chill)
Eurasian coots (agressive fucks)
Herons, ducks, swans, etc.

Within 5km White Storks, deer, possibly otters

OP
OP
Consequence

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
Ok look, I didn't do a conversion for KM to miles and roughed it, don't have to use miles often. I reported the thread to get it changed.

Great answers so far, some of you guys live near some intimidating stuff.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
UxEgJ20.jpg

Though not all of them are common sights.

I feel like we are neighbors, since I have this exact same lizard and his buddies living on the walls of our house.

a84389d1ce7f66c00a19e3d93ede92fc.jpg

I would say the most unique animal we have right outside the house is the California Quail. It's hard getting a pic of them when going for a walk, cause they run at video game speed. The little feather crest on the males is adorable. A better close up pic of how swag they look.

65610021-720px.jpg

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Definitely Sparrowhawks. I know because there's two flying across the street from my house right now. There's fields across there where they often hunt. Been doing that for a couple years now, tho I'm not sure if it's actually still the same pair.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
They had to tranqualize a polar bear wandering close to my neighborhood trail last week. Cool, but crazy dangerous.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Ospreys! They mate for life, and they build their nests on pylons, buoys, and other man-made objects dotting the waterways.

osprey-crevalle-jack-600-2.jpg

Rockfish (Stripers, Striped Bass)

Migratory predator fish that get fucking huge, like 50 pounds huge. They eat everything and taste great.

fishing-for-striped-bass-1068x713.jpg

Great Blue Heron. I just think they look cool!

60314201-1280px.jpg