• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

supra

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago has all the amenities of NY and LA and most of the same problems except it's a bit cheaper. It's also gritty as fuck and surrounded by a Midwest suburban hellscape. Not sure the tradeoff is worth it for a city that is appalling to live in and look at 70% of the year.
Chicago is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than LA and New York.

It gets cold, yeah. If it's appalling to look at you need to seriously get your eyes checked.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than LA and New York.

It gets cold, yeah. If it's appalling to look at you need to seriously get your eyes checked.
Chicago looks like smeared shit nine months out of the year. How is that controversial? It's just a gritty area - downtown excepted, obviously. I almost wish there was more snow to cover up the nastiness.

supra

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago looks like smeared shit nine months out of the year. How is that controversial? It's just a gritty area - downtown excepted, obviously. I almost wish there was more snow to cover up the nastiness.
Some areas are rough looking as a result of generational poverty, but the older architecture employed in all neighborhoods outside of the downtown area has a charm to it. Too much of it is getting ripped down to build bland luxury apartments. Maybe I just have a soft spot for the limestone two-flats, bungalows and worker's cottages.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Of all the places I've lived, Dallas (specifically Frisco) is the best one for LIVING in. Great job market, clean, friendly, well laid out and has everything you need to successfully navigate life and be happy (and a great international airport to fly to any place you want to visit)

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I would maybe say Seattle.

Only visited in summer. Not bad.

I mean, the actual city of LA is oriented kinda weird. So you can live within the vicinity (aka a "Neighborhood") and not even know it, or you can live in a different city and be really close, eg Pasadena or Glendale. You can technically be out in the boonies near the docks and still reside within the city of LA! I consider all the regions within 323, 310, 562, etc to be LA.

Living within a 10-20 mile distance from downton is good enough, IMO. You're going to have the same amount of traffic almost everywhere and there's stuff to do all around that.

However we're not supposed to be talking about LA!

See how ridiculous the border is?

1920px-la_county_incow7je1.png

s/o Pasadena it's so nice living so close to so much yet out of all the absolute madness. I would probably say San Diego or Denver though too,perfect cities. I'm glad to see all the love for the Southwest I've been meaning to visit New Mexico for sometime Ive only ever visited once for a baseball tournament and it was Farmington, New Mexico and I don't think that's the actual New Mexico experience

Tounsi_Tag

Oct 29, 2017
I live in West LA.. Good city to live in. Shitty city to visit.
That was my impression when I visited LA. Absolutely hated some of the touristy areas ( mainly Hollywood) and thought the city was too spread out with a bad transportation system. I did like the Santa Monica / Venus beach area and can see myself living there and developing a great lifestyle. The weather is great too.

LA peeps, the social life gets a bad prep there and I'm curious to hear about your perceptions. Is it true that many people there are social climbers who just want to " get in " which makes social dynamics superficial and fake?

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
That was my impression when I visited LA. Absolutely hated some of the touristy areas ( mainly Hollywood) and thought the city was too spread out with a bad transportation system. I did like the Santa Monica / Venus beach area and can see myself living there and developing a great lifestyle. The weather is great too.

LA peeps, the social life gets a bad prep there and I'm curious to hear about your perceptions. Is it true that many people there are social climbers who just want to " get in " which makes social dynamics superficial and fake?
Native here and yes if you live in the weho Hollywood silver lake axis it is indeed a what can you do for me part of town. Other areas not so much.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Don't know if I'd say it's the best but I like where I live in a suburb of Milwaukee WI. Good restaurants, nice places to walk/hike, and it's cheap. I'm starting to look at houses and you can get pretty nice 3 bedroom ~1500 square foot houses for around $160K here.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
If moderate tempatures and having the ability to be active every day of the year is important to you, San Fran, Seattle and Portland would be for you.

Dec 25, 2018
no city, move to Delaware. every major city is within a 3 hour drive and it's so much cheaper to live here. No sales tax here too, can drive to the beach within like an hour and take a train to most of the east coast big cities.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I grew up in NJ and PA, lived in Socal for many years, and have visited probably half of the US. I live near Portland ME now because it is awesome. Ocean, mountains, woods, lakes, food, art, cheap (compared to major metropolitan areas), easy access to the northeast via car and plane. (Trains require an irritating swap in Boston on the T, sadly.) Only downsides are the state university system is just okay (aka many people leave for college), and there aren't a ton of large anchor employers (so lots of small shops and a few medium sized ones, primary industry is law, health and finance).
Yup.
If you can handle the cold then somewhere like Portland, Maine.
FWIW it was 54F here today. So weird going out in a light shirt and feeling comfortable while the snow was melting all around, draining off the roof. Definitely not the norm. Should have gone mountain biking but had errands to run.
edit: Not sure which Portland I like more, Oregon has more going on but Maine is basically everything I like concentrated into a very small area
Maine for sure, Portland OR is for poseurs! I kid, I'm sure they're not the worst of bougie CA transplants, right? Right?

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I like San Diego because of places like Torrey Pines and the mountainous areas. The areas I went downtown by the boardwalk were very nice. Also, obviously some of the Mexican food there is on point.

Chicago is a great city to live in the US because there's plenty to do, it's cleaner than NY, it's surprisingly underrated for renting apartments compared to all other major US cities such as LA & NY, and there' s enough great cuisine you can find. This gets offset by high property taxes, other random taxes of others types (rent a car from O Hare and you will laugh your ass off how fucking stupid the taxes and fees are) and corrupt politics. If you hate cold, it's not for you. Summer time Chi is still amazing though.

I hear great things about Denver, but I haven't been.

I hear great thing about Seattle, but I haven't been.

Detroit is probably underrated, but living downtown is hilariously expensive from what I understand.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I'd love to live in NOLA one day if I could get a decent job there.

Tacoma WA probably. PNW vibe, cheaper than Seattle, Portland is just a couple hours drive.

This is a joke, right? Tacoma is like a boring midwest suburb that also has a dangerous downtown area. It's like the worst of all worlds.

I love Seattle, but it's funny to me how casually it is mentioned as a great city to live when it's so unaffordable. Your average house sells for >$700k, a one bedroom apartment is $2000/month, and the city is filled with homeless camps. This isn't a nice place to live unless you are making serious cash.

Someone earlier said Tacoma and I would like to second that. It's close to Seattle but reasonably priced.

$2K if it's a brand new building in Capitol Hill, maybe.

You can get a 1-bedroom around Eastlake for closer to $1500. Seattle isn't THAT expensive.

Eating out is insane though. $15+ for a burger and fries at any place that isn't McDonalds. Also childcare, $3K/month for one kid at most day care centers.

But yeah, living in Seattle itself is awesome if you work for Amazon and don't need a car. Or you're 22 and don't mind having a bunch of roommates. Or you bought your house 20 years ago. Outside of that, it's pretty tough.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I've been to a lot of big cities. If I had to pick one I think living in New York would be the most exciting to me.

However, if we were talking anywhere in the US to live, I feel like I would really dig living in the New England states. Maybe like Providence, Rhode Island. I have a thing for lighthouses.

Nov 7, 2017

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I currently live in Indianapolis and feel like it's pretty underrated.

Fairly big city, with just under 1 million people. Pretty cheap cost of living with some good food and entertainment. Easy to get around town. Plus, they effectively decriminalized weed last year, since the prosecutor will no longer pursue possession cases for less than 1 oz.

arial_view_of_circle_of_lights_1.jpg

Out of the other U.S. cities I've been to, Denver is by far the #1 place I'd want to live. I love the nature out West and there's such a good mix of urban and nature activities around that city.

Chicago gets an honorable mention too. I always love visiting there.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Detroit. Everything is cheap as hell here

It's not as cheap as you think. Because there's no public transportation, you're forced to own a car, and you probably want one that can drive in the snow. The insurance is also really expensive relative to other states. And because everything is so spread out, you spend tons of money on gas, and everyone in your family over the age of 16 needs their own car. I used to think it was normal for a typical middle class family to own like 6 cars. Turns out that's very weird and not something you often see in other major cities. Also, if you want to buy a single-family home, they're cheap, but any other form of living (apartments, rentals, etc) is very expensive relative to what you get. And of course, the salaries are lower.

Detroit offers a very specific sort of lifestyle: big house, big car, long commute. Great for raising a family, less so otherwise.

Also the fact that a person with a middle class income can own a power boat and go get drunk on Lake St. Clair every weekend in the summer is amazing, and something that is difficult to find anywhere else in the US. It blows my mind the amount of Detroiters that have never even seen that lake. It's like what are you doing?

Last edited:

Jaychrome91

Nov 4, 2018
Gonna be a no for me dawg (from a former Miami resident)

Expensive, jobs that pay like shit (unless you're a doctor, successful real estate agent, drug dealer), shady people, and it's a lot more conservative than people think (Cuban Trump supporters smh)
Lol Yeah, theirs a ton of Cuban Republicans in Miami. I agree, jobs do pay like shit. Traffic keeps getting worse and worse too. I would be miserable in a cold state though, love the weather.

Jehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI is probably one of the better cities in the US. First and foremost, in the city itself, the people are humble. No bragging or pretentiousness, just a bunch of people who are nice because it's who they are. Second, while there is segregation of races, that is changing. People are actively working on making things better. The weather sucks for about 6 months of the year, but that doesn't stop people here from having fun. You can't live here if you don't drink (and I mean really drink, like an unhealthy amount of alcohol). We have tons of colleges here so we it is liberal. We are really close to Chicago which is always a plus when you want a big big city feel without having to fly to the east coast. Milwaukee has gotten out of rust belt hell and is a growing city. The democratic nation convention is coming to town (let's you know the Milwaukee's importance). The skyline is nice and growing, plus, you have Lake Michigan to look at (the best looking of all the Great Lakes). Spring/summer/and fall here rock (Chicago too). There is an actual night life here. The food scene here is awesome. And finally, it's probably the most affordable city in the US. Making about 40,000 yr here is considered well off. There are plenty of jobs that pay way more than that here.

The only real negative to Milwaukee it that are suburbs to the west. Waukesha and Washington counties are the land of super terrible republicans. When you hear about segregation and racial incidents that happen in Milwaukee, those are mainly due to suburban landlords and their redlining and people from the burbs coming into the city, getting drunk, then causing problems.

dingobingo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Ok, so I've grown up in Dubai lived in Hamburg/ Berlin briefly, and 5 years ago moved back to the states. I travel alot for work, so ivw been to many cities. Cincinnati is seriously underated. I thought I was going to hate it (had plans to move). It really has grown on me to a place that I would raise a family in. Cheap, getting its act together, food/ beer/liqure scene growing, ample quality jobs. The only problem is that you do get exposed to trumpers, but they aren't really in the areas I'm in, so no biggy. Based on my travels and work this would be the list:

In the US:

1) Cincinnati
2) Minneapolis
3) Chicago
4) Louisville
5) Detroit

International mix:

1) Berlin/Hamburg (no idea why the cities grabbed me in)
2) Dubai (beyond expensive, but amazing place, the party only grinders you down)
3) Cincinnati
Etc..

I've been to the PNW, its amazingly beautiful, but the cost / congestion is just not a place I want to raise a family in.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Living outside of Seattle seems the best - within a reasonable Uber / Lyft ride away from city center. I'd kill to have the weather that area has most of the year, and the legal weed, culture, etc.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I grew up in NJ and PA, lived in Socal for many years, and have visited probably half of the US. I live near Portland ME now because it is awesome. Ocean, mountains, woods, lakes, food, art, cheap (compared to major metropolitan areas), easy access to the northeast via car and plane. (Trains require an irritating swap in Boston on the T, sadly.) Only downsides are the state university system is just okay (aka many people leave for college), and there aren't a ton of large anchor employers (so lots of small shops and a few medium sized ones, primary industry is law, health and finance).

Yup.

FWIW it was 54F here today. So weird going out in a light shirt and feeling comfortable while the snow was melting all around, draining off the roof. Definitely not the norm. Should have gone mountain biking but had errands to run.

Maine for sure, Portland OR is for poseurs! I kid, I'm sure they're not the worst of bougie CA transplants, right? Right?
This honestly looks like some weird false flag thing. The person would have had to be all over their property for like an hour to tag that much stuff.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
This is a joke, right? Tacoma is like a boring midwest suburb that also has a dangerous downtown area. It's like the worst of all worlds.

Lol that's a crazy outdated view. Maybe back in the '90s.

It's basically like a smaller Seattle/PDX. Far less traffic, more affordable, still has trendy hipster restaurants + shops, craft beer, hipster downtown areas like Brewery Blocks, they've put all types of stuff in at Point Ruston and connected the waterfront retail area there with trails going to downtown and Point Defiance Park. Downtown isn't dangerous at all. You might see homeless people if you hang out down there, but that's about it. The new McMenamin's Elk Temple is pretty dope.

Hilltop used to be pretty rough, but it's getting gentrified and there are local coffee joints and the stores there don't have bulletproof glass anymore, if those tell you anything.

Home values are also up like crazy, so it's getting harder to move in, but for now it's pretty awesome. I personally don't like all the traffic, congestion and tech bros that Seattle has gotten overwhelmed with, and Tacoma still has the access to nature, shopping, etc (and Seattle itself if you want to go there for something).

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
People keep saying this. Hell I've been saying it for years. It just never happens. Hopefully Kahn's promises come through.

What sort of promises? Big changes coming to the city in the future?

Jacksonville was always just a place I drove through on the way to South Florida so I don't know much about it. What's it like living there?

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Lol that's a crazy outdated view. Maybe back in the '90s.

It's basically like a smaller Seattle/PDX. Far less traffic, more affordable, still has trendy hipster restaurants + shops, craft beer, hipster downtown areas like Brewery Blocks, they've put all types of stuff in at Point Ruston and connected the waterfront retail area there with trails going to downtown and Point Defiance Park. Downtown isn't dangerous at all. You might see homeless people if you hang out down there, but that's about it. The new McMenamin's Elk Temple is pretty dope.

Hilltop used to be pretty rough, but it's getting gentrified and there are local coffee joints and the stores there don't have bulletproof glass anymore, if those tell you anything.

Home values are also up like crazy, so it's getting harder to move in, but for now it's pretty awesome. I personally don't like all the traffic, congestion and tech bros that Seattle has gotten overwhelmed with, and Tacoma still has the access to nature, shopping, etc (and Seattle itself if you want to go there for something).

This was based on visiting twice in the last year. If you enjoy it, more power to you. I'd rather move back to the Midwest than live there.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I quite liked living in Pittsburgh. Way more personality than other midwestern cities. Good food/ culture scene for a city of its size, cheap cost of living, not too much traffic or hassle when going places around town, locals are generally nice.

For-In-the-Lead-pittsburgh-skyline-stock-1569559459.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017
Lol Yeah, theirs a ton of Cuban Republicans in Miami. I agree, jobs do pay like shit. Traffic keeps getting worse and worse too. I would be miserable in a cold state though, love the weather.
If you're in the right job market Southern California has all of the perks of Miami minus the humidity and the sapingo (if you're from Miami you know what that means lol)

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
And only costs $8,000,000 per square foot.

Cone on dude. seriously?

My sister works at a hotel and does just fine there. She's lived in SF for over 10 years working in the service industry. If you're willing to have a couple roommates and share a house, living in SF is totally doable on a non-tech salary/wages.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I get that, but this winter has been mild and dry compared to others. I mean it was sunny yesterday here in Ballard, and I took this picture a couple of days ago too, there was just a few clouds with blue skies. The post I quoted said "no daylight" which is an exaggeration.

This has actually been one of the wettest winters I can think of in this area. Seattle has this stigma of being rainy but it's overstated. It's usually just clouds, all the time during the winter and that's what can burn people out.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why don't people talk about cities in Colorado...
I was actually surprised at the lack of CO. I've never been there personally but I know the state has been rising in popularity.

I'm currently living in Minneapolis - don't know if I can call it the best since I haven't been to enough major cities to make a fair comparison, but I definitely like living here overall. You really gotta savor the couple months with the perfect weather, though. Our winters are overexaggerated but they still can wear you down every year.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
Pittsburgh is really affordable, I could live like a king making 50-60K so I'd lean toward that. If $ wasn't a factor then probably portland, oregon.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
If a city is mentioned in this thread, it isn't it because it is already too expensive.