• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
megamanbox.jpg

If no none else is going to post the GOAT, I will.

had to scroll to post #15 to find this. Disappointed!

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
despite following the "dude-with-gun" standard of the 2010s, i think the RDR covers are pretty well-done

RDR-box-art-360.jpg

original.jpg

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Space Channel 5 had a cool shiny cover in Japan:

PsR5FCV5nrtRG9npkz13NZPn5GomywcDMmyLy4ahbHVkBfNLgF7wVbed-2BVEOoqGDvJXsthtk79lKvZ_dpF8YF1ISpkyo6z

Rez box art was cool:

54376--rez.png

0KNycfuIJxW18sO_y2L3CofwKhvzCUmH_huqGI3xH1Aaq5i7yYkT16DnnRMr70egqVjfoUMuKfTCJwSPNBuWoNkVNMjWXIa4q5RnS4RPcc4-2BIUibgnav0f8HeHWOkn9sE_iW-atTciaZqst71rbN-q0sucTMfRTIdIl0y17SeZjXIJ

Samba de Amigo Ver.2000:

tumblr_inline_paqyuo5Dx61s5ihu7_400.jpg

Lack of Love:

DTdP3HCX4AA3il8.jpg

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
latest

Super partial towards those Amano versions of Final Fantasy covers. Unfortunately they're mostly reserved for the special editions.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
A lot of my favorites already got sniped. The one thing missing is some Kazuma Kaneko art. Unfortunately, a lot of the covers featuring his art are busy and bad. Still, there are a few great ones.

259630-maken-shao-demon-sword-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

latest

Man, if it wasn't for that terrible mix of ugly typefaces, that would be perfect. The addiction to too many subtitles mars the cover design of way too many SMT games, both in Japan and the US. I was going to share the Persona 2: Innocent Sin art, but that one is somehow worse.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I dunno, i enjoy the old 16bit era box arts where they tried to cramp the ever living shit out of the cover with characters and features from the game.

latest

bd660eb40390c4f62cfead4b7d238aa3.jpg

Last edited:

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
Japanese Alisia Dragoon

2368988-genesis_alisiadragoon_jp.jpg

(if it didn't have that screenshot in the corner I'd love it as a poster)

I think this is Mariko Uemura. But I cant find any more art by her at all. Also found this clean version by someone on reddit. I would have like one with the fonts though but it still looks great.

ogyeiwgiwbf41.jpg

I really wish I could find more of her stuff but the only thing I could find was Silpheed Sega CD. Anyone have a clue?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
despite following the "dude-with-gun" standard of the 2010s, i think the RDR covers are pretty well-done
original.jpg
This is great, it's real art, the sun and silouettes of the gang riding and the forest is a nice touch, the barely noticeable american flag, it's all top class. Except that the guy doesn't resemble anyone in the game, well maybe some NPC idk :p

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, that's a good choice OP.

8kTVW8W.jpg

NA/EU did not get this box art unless you pre ordered and got the deluxe version of the game. The cover art is standard release for Japan.

I am hoping that Demon's Souls Remastered for PS5 uses this cover art 😄
I love how you're already dead on the cover of the game.

Jacklw25

Apr 14, 2018
The EU version of GTA 3.

grand-theft-auto-gta-iii-3-for-playstation-2-ps2-w.jpg

Would of been interesting to see what Rockstar would of done going forward with the artwork had 9/11 not happened.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Was always partial to the Unlimited Saga box art:

220px-Unlimited_Saga_cover.jpg

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The best has already been posted. RE4 red cover.

This is also one of the best this gen that I haven't seen posted.

390324-titanfall-xbox-one-front-cover.png

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I think this is Mariko Uemura. But I cant find any more art by her at all. Also found this clean version by someone on reddit. I would have like one with the fonts though but it still looks great.

ogyeiwgiwbf41.jpg

I really wish I could find more of her stuff but the only thing I could find was Silpheed Sega CD. Anyone have a clue?

Oh my, thank you for that, and agreed, I'd prefer one with at least the game title. But that's a massive step up from just the box art!

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Man please don't let this thread die. So much amazing stuff in here. OP already started out with a banger (too bad they didn't go for the superior Japanese version :p)

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
It'd be kind of cool to make a voting thread out of this, lol, and see what box arts make the top.

I'm pretty sure Resident Wiivil 4 and the Psygnosis covers would make top 10.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I'm sure it's been posted at this point, so I won't even bother linking it, but I really love Final Fantasy VI's Japanese cover art. I can't stand Amano's art for the most part, but that one piece is an exception for me. It's breathtaking.

Breath of Fire III (PSP) is incredible.

Breathoffire3_box.jpg

This and the JP cover for Dragon Quarter are by far the best cover arts in the series.

d5ujlal-386ad9b9-3f5e-4b02-8555-ea89a33ff8cb.jpg

...Man, I miss Breath of Fire.

Aug 28, 2019

I've always been partial to this one. Now that's some epic fantasy. You got your giant weapons, your animal-people, your bare-chested barbarian leading the party, long flowing hair, ripped clothing, overblown action poses, evil faces, weird machines, and a chrome-plated title bar exploding right in your face. METAL. The only thing missing is a robot. There are robots in the game but not on the cover. I'm not sure how they missed that opportunity.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it's been posted at this point, so I won't even bother linking it, but I really love Final Fantasy VI's Japanese cover art. I can't stand Amano's art for the most part, but that one piece is an exception for me. It's breathtaking.

This and the JP cover for Dragon Quarter are by far the best cover arts in the series.

d5ujlal-386ad9b9-3f5e-4b02-8555-ea89a33ff8cb.jpg

...Man, I miss Breath of Fire.
Ok the art is good but that is literally Simon.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
The first 3 Dragon Quest games all have great box art. It was back when Toriyama probably did his own drawing. Plus it's in his more cartoony style, which I like better.

Dragon_Quest_1_box.jpg

Dragon-Quest-II-japanese-box-art.jpg

2342772-dragon_quest_iii.jpg

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Horizon Zero Dawn is among the top for me.

Robo dinos? If that doesn't catch your attention you got something wrong in your head.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And why is it Secret of Mana?
30332-secret-of-mana-snes-front-cover.jpg

Seriously I've barley played this game and this is still one of the most gorgeous boxarts I've ever seen.
I didn't see it on the front page but the Japanese version is better imo. The NTSC version was compromised to make it fit. Frankly a lot of Japanese art for the SNES era and were better. They were still getting nice works of art for their covers commissioned solely to be able to sell games better. That was done in America too but died down I feel like once digital art started becoming more fashionable
snes-super-famicom-secret-of-mana-1-seiken-densetsu-2.jpg

KmA

Oct 27, 2017
Anytime a company puts their sickass concept art on the box over their boring 3d models posed in boring ways is a win honestly.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
This is the only right answer:

images

Honorable mentions:

images

images

images

And also any European Final Fantasy box art.

Last edited: