• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
What's the BEST $20 you ever spent on a single game on any platform?

I think mine would probably be Life is Strange. I got so much enjoyment out of that game, and it all started from playing the demo on a whim.

What's yours?

-----
Bonus thread topic...
What $20 game should I buy on Switch?

I have a $20 gift cert that was given to me a few months back, and I haven't bothered to use it yet. It doesn't have to be "console exclusive" but that's not a deal breaker, and something not insanely difficult and can preferably be played in short bursts (0.5-2 hours here and there. I can't do 2+ hours at a time most of the time)

For context, Switch games I have and love:
Blaster Master Zero
Untitled Goose Game
Animal Crossing
Deadly Premonition
Touryst
Super Mario Odyssey

Games I've considered but haven't bought...
Hades (this seems like it'll be the top recommendation, even though it's $25)
Baba is You

Games that didn't do it for me:
Binding of Isaac
Mario & Rabbids

... I'm just not up to speed on which Switch games would suit me. I look at the eShop, and much like the other digital stores, it's hard to tell which inexpensive games are actually any good.

Help me spend my Nintendo ebucks, Era. You're my only hope.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I dont see it being mentioned in the OP but I would recommend The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, its currently $40 at BB if you live in the US. (I bought this for full price back on the WiiU and it was amazing - got it again on Switch few weeks ago for $40).

Sorry - cant really say much on indie titles....most of the $20 games I bought were ones that were heavily discounted on PS4 or Steam.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Pretty sure it's Hades, followed by Slay the Spire (both of which I grabbed on sale). I don't even really like rogue likes. They're just both imo some of the absolute best in the genre and always enjoyable to pick up and play. I literally just finished a run of hades even though I 'beat' the main story weeks ago.
Plenty of other good stuff at sub 20 but nothing as good as those.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Hades is currently $20, sooo

Hollow Knight is another recommendation you'll get a lot and I wholeheartedly second any such recommendations. It's also $5 cheaper than $20!

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
obligatory post for hollow knight, crazy amount of content the price.

Sep 14, 2018
I know that it's sort of a joke that this point that Hollow Knight fans will always suggest Hollow Knight any chance they get, but Hollow Knight is only $15 on the eShop and you simply must play it.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Best $20 I've ever spent is probably on Civ 5 and all the dlc a while after launch, for years I made fun of the franchise and people who play it, I was so freaking stupid. The franchise and especially 5 are so fuckin good, had my friend not convinced me to buy it after trying for months I would've missed out on what is now one of my favorite games of all time.

Probably in my top 3 most played of all time now.

Don't personally have a recommendation for switch specifically but I think Hades or Minecraft dungeons might work for you. Maybe check out like 10 min of gameplay each and see what sticks out.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Best €15 i've spent was on Trials Evolution back on 360, i still play it to this day.

You can always buy the newest one on switch.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Okami is my personal best game ever and Okami HD released for $15, easiest buy of the entire lot there. Go pick that one up.

giphy.gif

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Stardew Valley is the best $15 I've ever spent. So relaxing and chill. I can play that for hours. Just farming away.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
The playstation classics were at one point $20 right? I remember getting ff8 for $20, as I had ff7 andff9 but not 8.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
What if you had an insane number of levels alas Mario Maker (4,340 to be exact) except they were good for a change.

capsule_616x353.jpg

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure it's Hades, followed by Slay the Spire (both of which I grabbed on sale). I don't even really like rogue likes. They're just both imo some of the absolute best in the genre and always enjoyable to pick up and play. I literally just finished a run of hades even though I 'beat' the main story weeks ago.
Plenty of other good stuff at sub 20 but nothing as good as those.
This. Slay the spire and hades are incredible

Ruffy666

Oct 27, 2017
The 2017 Prey was something like $8 at Best Buy so I bought it on a whim and it turned out to be actually super fun and polished. Didn't it get kind of trashed in reviews? I had a great time with that game and it's pretty damn meaty for under 10 bucks

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
RE4. You keep releasing it, I'll keep buying it. Those are my terms.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Hades is incredible and I do not LOVE Rogue games. Truly one of the GOTY

Also, you list no games like this but do you like farming/life sim games? Stardew Valley is about to get it's massive
1.5 update patch and the game is incredible. In my top 3 all time games and the way to days progress, you can play in chunks of 20 minutes if you want to...

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Hades, Hollow Knight, Slay the Spire, and Celeste have given me 100s of hours of content for less than $20 each. These games are significantly better than many AAA releases this gen. Slay the Spire in particular is a masterclass of game design.

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
On Switch? Any combination of Into the Breach, Hollow Knight, or Cuphead.

On PC - Black Mesa easy

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
For switch: Hades, Slay the Spire, Into the Breach, Dead Cells, Battlechasers.

I sunk a good 50-100 hours into those and paid 20 or less for each of them.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hollow Knight, Hades (got it on sale), Spelunky 1 and 2 are probably the best values I've ever gotten for my gaming buck. Think I've got at least 100 hours into all of those (a few hundred more than that on both Spelunkys lol). The amount of content in Hollow Knight is genuinely absurd for the price

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
Undoubtedly Hollow Knight.

One of the greatest metroidvania platformers of all time.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Hollow Knight might be one of the best value gaming purchases I ever made.

Other great games around that price point are both Original games, Hades, Into the Breach, and Cupgead.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Hollow Knight for $15 is one of the greatest deals of all time. The amount of content they've added as well for free has been insane.