• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Got any data to support that? I'm pretty sure my launch PS2 is still working, and I got a later hardware revision only because its the size of a special edition steelbook. My launch Xbox 360 otoh didn't last a year. I know my example is anecdotal, but I was thinking the RRoD was always a when and not if issue. I don't know anyone with an early 360 that didn't get it. I hadn't heard the same for PS2s although I know companies don't widely publicize.
It was highly publicized. Just search PS2 Disk Read Error. I post articles earlier on the last page and many have responded confirming. Ex GameStop employee even chimed in. Also, I was working at EB Games at the time too.

Last edited:

Boom Roasted

Feb 8, 2018
what about Wolverine then? Sony has nothing to do with the X-men franchise. You are welcome to die on that hill of course, but it has been refuted by many people many times over.
It seems that there could be some incentives based on copies sold that would allow them to publish additional exclusive versions of popular Marvel IP. The more games they sell the more exclusives they get. The more exclusives they get the longer Marvel gets to use Spider-Man in their movies. Both parties stand to make billions and billions.

The MLB using its leverage to get a Sony published/developed game on Xbox is evidence to support my cynicism toward the many refutations that have been offered. Spider-Man would sell 50 million copies if it's platform agnostic so what's in it for Marvel to keep it exclusive?

In other words, I'm willing to die on the hill that Spider-Man (and I guess other Sony exclusive Marvel games) are the result of cynical business dealings and not the happy go lucky tale that we've been told.

Last edited:

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
Legit interested in hearing the reasoning for this. I wonder if you have the same issues with 5 that I do.

X5's treatment of the armour always bugged me. Gaia armour is useless except for getting specific items. And the falcon armour, while awesome, does not let you charge weapons. Unless you get the ultimate armour you are stuck using the stupid 4th game armour for two games in a row if you want the game to play like a typical X game. X6 treated that much better with the blade armour/ shadow armour.

But other than that I recall x6 being a mess of random weather effects and poorly designed stages.

Well, yeah the armor is one part of it, X6 improved that by making the other armors more usefull.

I'd put the level design of X5 and X6 around the same level, and both being huge downgrades over X4 and both having some really low lows (Duff McWhallen slow chase on X5 and Metal Shark Player on X6 are both awful) but I kinda liked the increased difficulty of X6.

While X5 and X6 are not as good as the earlier X games, there are things that X6 improves over X5:

- X5 have an annoying problem of unskippable Alia tutorial-like dialog on pretty much every single level which make it even more annoying on replays, X6 fixes it by making it optional
- Similar to the previous point, X5 have long unskippable cutscenes, you can skip them in X6
- X5 RNG events and time management, awful concepts that shouldn't even be in these games in the first place, X6 don't have any of that.
- X5 tries to use those early 3d prerendered sprites, most noticiable with the first and last sigma fight (the last boss is basically just a jpeg) which look awful, X6 uses it more sparingly on some backgrounds
- I hate the fact that whatever you do, you can't get all items parts in X5, you can in X6
- Pallette swapped last levels at the game look awful in X5, X6 look less awful

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Bioshock infinite is the best bioshock game and it's not even close, even one of the best FPS games of all time. And people who say bioshock 2 is the best are on crack, as it's the worst out of the series

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The order being a 7/10 take is the most dull take I've seen in a while. The user score on metacritic is 6.8.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
SFV is a better game than SF4.

I get that nostalgia is a powerful drug, and as a 09er I have a fondness for SF4 too, but people love to overlook its flaws. One Frame Links are bad and a terrible idea for a game whose entire pitch was that the execution was beginner friendly. FADCs feel incredibly clunky. There's way too much SF2/Alpha nostalgia in the roster and overall aesthetics. The artstyle is too washed out and the animation looks pretty bad compared to basically every 3D fighter that isn't made by NRS. And the online was infamously pretty terrible.

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yup. It's a core part of the game's design and combat loop.

Well yeah. I mean, it was designed that way. If it wasn't, what would that say about the game? I don't think folks saying it would be better without it, that it isn't an core part of how the games design is right now, they're saying they would prefer an alternative system.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Well yeah. I mean, it was designed that way. If it wasn't, what would that say about the game? I don't think folks saying it would be better without it, that it isn't an core part of how the games design is right now, they're saying they would prefer an alternative system.
Nah, I've seen plenty of people on this very website suggest that if you took Breath of the Wild as is and simply removed weapon degradation that it would improve it in a blatant disregard for how the game itself is designed.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Gravity Rush 2 is only second only to Insomniac's Spiderman, as the best super hero game.

Nah, I've seen plenty of people on this very website suggest that if you took Breath of the Wild as is and simply removed weapon degradation that it would improve it in a blatant disregard for how the game itself is designed.

Well I mean if they hate it they might get annoyed by it less. But I'm sure that's just a reflection of their frustration with the feature. I am convinced if they gave you a long form suggestion on how the game should be designed differently, it wouldn't just be a case of making every weapon unbreakable. Otherwise at a very minimum, the game has an abundance of redundancy.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
1644637735_669_Uncharted-film-failed-to-convince-critics-and-received-a-41.jpeg
Goes to show how overrated I think Uncharted the game is, eh?

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Oblivion was a massive step back from Morrowind. Granted it seems the places I frequent have come around to my line of thinking, but it did feel like I was the only person on that hill for a good while.

I guess "the Souls games are more repetitive than difficult" is a more recent one, but they cut out a lot of the repetitive backtracking to a boss in Elden Ring, possibly earlier, so it also might be irrelevant going forward as well.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018
You can play MGS1 effectively by just looking at the 2D soliton radar.
All the information you need to play the stealth game is there. It's 2D gameplay set in a 3D world. Apart from being able to look in a first person perspective and aim one weapon that way (though it's a lock-on missile, you're not actually able to aim your weapons properly).
And this in no way detracts from how fantastic the game is.

Cyberpunk 2077 is rightly much maligned, but ultimately is a great game well worth playing.
I don't think everyone will love it, but after spending 70-80+ hours with it I really think there are so many aspects worth experiencing and appreciating:
The world design,story dialogue + characters, ambience, sound design + music, and personally I unexpectedly loved the story of Johnny and [Female] V.
Many moments from both main quests and sides being ingrained in me to this day. A lot of the side missions are just as compelling or enjoyable as the main story with some heavy hitting moments and characters beinf optional - not that this particular is in any way groundbreaking, it's just worth mentioning.

I'm not trying to sell people on the game, it sold enough and was a fucking mess of a launch. I played it on PS4 pro (later patches, 1.4 and later I think)and had to deal with my fair share of annoying pop-in, glitches and crashes. But instead of discouraging me from replays / continuing, it has become one of the reasons I'm excited to get a current gen console. And because of what happened with the game and the state it initially released in- I feel even more compelled to defend it.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
These games are all amazing but:

Sekiro is not a "Souls" game
Hollow Knight and Blasphemous are not "Souls-likes"

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
Early PS2 were guaranteed to fail period. I had 1 replaced and had to buy two more.

playstation.fandom.com

Disc Read Error

The Disc Read Error is a common error that can occur with PlayStation 2 consoles. Almost every PS2 will have troubles reading a disk at some point in its life, either the early Disk Read Error, or simple delay while the disk grinds under repeated read attempts. Cleaning the laser lens should...

arstechnica.com

Dealing with PlayStation 2 disc read errors

Ars console guru Rob Nelson has the low-down on how to fix your PS2.
My launch era PS2 scratched the hell out of discs.
I had a ton of disc read errors with my ps2. Had to keep opening it up and fixing it with repair kits.
i worked at Electronics Boutique during the height of the PS2's popularity and this is not reality. Huge failure issues.

Pretty sure it was reported on by mainstream news outlets too.

Well seems the disc read error was a typifying example at the time. Got mine brand new in 2002 it was a 2001 model but I think they had fixed the issues by then. When I would go to fix my controllers I would find a bunch of consoles in for repair but me and my friend's PS2s were good. Never sent mine in for a repair and I had the oldest in the group. I remember PS2 discs scratched so easy we had to pray that a game gets to the PS2 launch screen. Especially if you'd borrowed one from a friend. That all changed with the PS3 discs though. Otherwise Some of us got the good FAT OG PS2s ...

Same, i still got my fat PS2 since 2002 and it works perfectly

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
OoT is overrated, and the people who champion it the most don't play enough other, better games to know just how wrong they are.

Sarobi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- F2P games are vastly more entertaining than a majority of the 60+ dollar games.
- Tetris is literally the best video game of all time.
- MMORPG's suck at being social platforms despite that being one of their their main marketing premise. I don't think any major developer who had millions of dollars in support was ever able to replicate the social and character customization aspect that simple web browser based avatar games have been doing for 15+ years: Toon Town, GaiaOnline, IMVU, etc.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
  • Cyberpunk is actually a really good game right now. Nothing mind blowing but pretty enjoyable.
  • I don't understand the praise Nier: Automata gets, seriously the gameplay is SO boring that I made myself play the second route and then gave up and watched the rest in youtube. It's one of the only games I have ever downvoted in steam.
  • A good OST can make an average game shine.
  • Some of the best videogame music you can find right now is Mihoyo's. Seriously that music department is full of geniuses.
  • Watching orchestras IRL perform gaming music it's amazing.
  • Although RWBY is kinda trash, it's worth a watch.
  • A game that supports mods from the start gets more love for a longer time. It's easier to make mods? It will have more mods and a far more active community around it.

I see no lies.

I've always said beneath all the bugs and bs there was a great game somewhere with CP2077. It's sad what happened to it because better management, more delays, and dropping the last gen version would have made it a far superior game.

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
to invest time, resources and testing in one balanced mode, a more dynamic one where you can make it on one self or make it harder

Here is I get you one =]
Yeah I get that, but there's a lot of ways to make it easier without needing to rebalance the game, like removing the stamina bar, dealing double damage, taking half damage, not needing to go back and kill everything again, etc....

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I will go further. As someone that binged the whole series for the first time fairly recently, Kingdom Hearts 2 is comfortably my least favourite game in the series when it comes to the "main" games. Main being 1, 2, BBS, DDD and 3. KH2 easily the worst of those games to me, and was particularly such a massive disappointment coming off KH1.
Very based take.

Akalance

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
www.google.com

Google Maps

Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps.

Hill by where I grew up. Going downhill on our scooters against traffic, we were definitely willing to die on that hill.

Goomy

Banned
Aug 31, 2019
- Console cycles being 8+ years long is a good thing, hardware being outdated after 6 months like PC hardware in the 90s is frankly a nightmare.
- Virtual Reality will not blow up soon, it is too janky and uncomfortable right now. Come back to me when VR goggles are just as light as regular glasses, when updating apps isn't a pain in the ass, developers care about not making teleportation janky (like staring directly at a wall after teleporting or having to open a door awkwardly) because you cannot count on everybody getting VR-legs, and you don't need a middle-class sized room to play (and also fuck you Facebook for making the Quest 1 outdated after only a year, you greedy fucks)
- I would rather have a way too short game than a ridiculously padded game (looking at you crash 4)
- Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 is waaaaay better than 1
- MOBAs, competitive rankings and progression-tied loot systems have ruined online multiplayer. You can't shoot the shit anymore, have fun conga lines or other ridculous pranks and casual fun because the rest of the players will get mad at you for fucking up their progression.
- Stray sucks, Untitled Goose Game is better

Oct 27, 2017
Days gone is a mediocre game, albeit with some good ideas, that deserved its mediocre reception and sales. The vocal minority on the internet that tries to champion the game as some underrated diamond in the rough will never not be crazy to me.

Uncharted 3 is the worst game in the mainline series by a country mile. Character development is very poor if not downright unexplainable (looking at you talbot), major set pieces are not grounded in the story and just exist purely for the spectacle and the pacing is off with characters being present in one half of the game to never be mentioned/seen at all in the other (cutter and Chloe being prominent in the first half only to go ghost the second, Elena showing up as a deus ex machina in the second half). Uncharted would be a very solid trilogy if you remove uncharted 3 and consequently tweak a bit of uncharted 4

dlemarc

Oct 31, 2017
Mine may be controversial, but most diversity in games I see, especially with character creators, is meaningless. I don't want diversity in skin, but diversity in culture. I enjoyed the characters of Lamar and Franklin in GTA V more than Miles Morales in either Spider-Man game, and to a lesser extent, Marcus from Watch Dogs 2.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Dead Space 3 is an amazing game and a top 10 co-op game of all time. One of the best games ever made.

From Software's narrative presentation and writing is some of the worst in the industry and their item descriptions make zero sense within the world.

God of War was alway more edgy and dudebro than Gears of War.

Gears 5 was head and shoulders the best game of 2019.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Star Fox Zero is pretty good.

Using the intro/title screen music, or a remix of it, for the final boss is generally really lame. I absolutely hated when Double Dragon Neon did it.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Every controller should come with a rechargeable battery included, removable or sealed.

Apr 3, 2020
Yeah I get that, but there's a lot of ways to make it easier without needing to rebalance the game, like removing the stamina bar, dealing double damage, taking half damage, not needing to go back and kill everything again, etc....

yeah, I think I know these ways and it's called "just make another game at once".

Enemies' AI behaviour is linked or designed around the player's stamina bar, so this is just one element and think about the rebalancing process.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
1. MGSV is the best playing MGS game.
2. MGSIV is the worst MGS game.
3. Phantasy Star 3 is vastly under rated.
4. Phantasy Star 4 is one of the best 16 bit RPGS.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
  1. Gravity Rush is the best superhero game Sony has produced.
  2. FFVIIR combat isn't special. It doesn't do anything that hasn't basically been done in Dragon Age.
  3. Splinter Cell Blacklist is a better stealth game than anything before or after it.
  4. Mass Effect 2 is the worst game in the series in terms of plot.