• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's the Most You Would Pay for a Disc-Based Playstation (1, 2, & 3) Emulator on PS5 (in USD)?

• $15 - $25

Votes: 46 6.6%
  • $25 - $40

Votes: 37 5.3%
  • $40 - $60

Votes: 83 11.8%
  • $60 - $100

Votes: 124 17.7%
  • $100 - $200

Votes: 69 9.8%
  • $200+... Hey you'd pay that for a good old console these days!

Votes: 64 9.1%
  • Pay for an emulator? I'll emulate for free on my PC, thanks.

Votes: 279 39.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like, I'm not sure I could have mentioned the point any more than I did about how this whole effort needs to be underwritten by some source of revenue. Software and services cost money if you want them not to function like open source emulator software where, like it or not, you are compelled to be part of the vast, live QA team, at the very least.
Sure, making a PS1 emulator for the PS5 is not free for Sony. As an enthusiast, though, it seems defeatist to me to preemptively agree to not criticize an extremely profitable platform holder for charging for a feature that was free in the past in order to roleplay as an accountant on a gaming enthusiast forum.

Because a full suite BC solution would be hardware based. OP wants all his games to work, not select games like Microsoft's solution.
I might have missed the mention of BC being hardware-based (outside of an optical drive capable of reading CDs, I guess), but given that full PS1 software compatibility exists on PC, I don't think there's anything about this that would require specialty hardware.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about it being disc based for anything older than PS4. Just make an emulator with a lot of games available digitally for fair prices and I'll buy that

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'd love for it to just be included, but if I'm being honest, a PS1, PS2, and PS3 emulation box, providing the emulation quality is top notch, would be more enticing than an actual PS5 for me.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I don't even have that strong of a computer but even I still picked the last option because I'm not gonna pay another fee just for an emulator unless the libraries are comprehensive or close to it (e.g. PS1 emulation on PS2 covering like 99% of games). I'm hoping that recent Sony patent indicates they're gonna try streaming older games via PS Now (though I'm aware it indicates an altogether different service).

Otherwise I'm fine with playing really old/obscure stuff on XEBRA and such.

OP
OP
imbarkus

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, making a PS1 emulator for the PS5 is not free for Sony. As an enthusiast, though, it seems defeatist to me to preemptively agree to not criticize an extremely profitable platform holder for charging for a feature that was free in the past in order to roleplay as an accountant on a gaming enthusiast forum.

Hey I've fought my unwinnable battle wanting disc-based BC where it made no practical sense at all.
I've even imagined non-existent hardware to support the effort:

playstation_vita_w_psptoo.jpg

But if its revenue, sales, and the practical math of all this that holds this desire back, why is it a futile effort to develop speculatory, pontificated solutions to them in my forum-wish? Is it somehow more pure to just bark at the moon for the magic features to which I feel entitled, regardless of business considerations?

I might have missed the mention of BC being hardware-based (outside of an optical drive capable of reading CDs, I guess), but given that full PS1 software compatibility exists on PC, I don't think there's anything about this that would require specialty hardware.

I'm specifically not asking for a hardware solution, as I don't really see expansion ports and hardware add-ons being a thing of the future (besides PSVR 2.0, I guess), and therefore you're talking about a pack-in of BC, which drives up costs for the 98% of people who don't use the feature.

I'm hoping that recent Sony patent indicates they're gonna try streaming older games via PS Now

Ugh. I'm not.

6487562_preview.png

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to replay fucking shitty games. Most of the best games get remastered or remade anyways. And they're all digitally. Also beyond that, games generally improve.... a lot (i.e. see shooters)

Doom and Doom Eternal, TLoU II, Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy, Titanfall 2, Tomb Raider games... all blow most older FPS/TPSs out of the water.....

Vanquish was remastered. We have Bioshock remaster. We have Crysis coming...

The only games I'd MAYBE care for to play via disc is Red Dead Redemption and Mod Nation Racers...

So yeah, $0....

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Even though I have emulators already on PC, there's something to be said for a console I'd actively be using, having full BC included. I'd definitely be willing to pay for a premium model that included that feature. It's an easy sell for Sony, so I've never understood why they don't give it a shot

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Like, I'm not sure I could have mentioned the point any more than I did about how this whole effort needs to be underwritten by some source of revenue. Software and services cost money if you want them not to function like open source emulator software where, like it or not, you are compelled to be part of the vast, live QA team, at the very least.
just because something costs money to develop does not mean you need to charge for it. backwards comparability should be a built in service, it's not something companies should ever charge for

we're currently seeing microsoft crush it by doing exactly that and it's generated them so much good will. i just completely reject the idea that the only way this could happen is if it's a paid service

Nov 28, 2017
How possible is it that Sony will use the Tempest Engine to help mimic CELL so we can finally have local PS3 BC?

PS2 & PS1 should be eaaaasy

Nov 4, 2017
I'm not going to replay fucking shitty games. Most of the best games get remastered or remade anyways. And they're all digitally. Also beyond that, games generally improve.... a lot (i.e. see shooters)

Doom and Doom Eternal, TLoU II, Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy, Titanfall 2, Tomb Raider games... all blow most older FPS/TPSs out of the water.....

The only games I'd MAYBE care for to play via disc is Red Dead Redemption and Mod Nation Racers...

So yeah, $0....
Yes, every game that hasn't been ported to PS4/Xbone is a piece of shit. Wait here while I go shred my MGS 1-4, GTA1&2, FF4-6 and other discs. There's no way anybody would ever want to go back and play the classic games that inspired the amazing games you listed. I definitely don't want to show my daughter some of my favourite childhood games when she's older.

IMO something like BC should just be bundled with PS+. It's already known that the PS4 can emulate the vast majority of PS1/2 games, the PS5 will definitely have the grunt to emulate PS3. I'm not expecting perfect, 100% compatibility. Xbox BC is 4% for OG and about 25% for 360, and people seem very happy with that. 25% of the PS1/2/3 libraries would be damn fine.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
They'd probably make more by offering the emulation for free and just dumping hundreds of PS1-PS3 games on the store.

That's what… 20 games for $10 a piece.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
I wouldn't pay anything, it should be included. I'm still expecting Sony to at least attempt to match Microsoft's backwards compatibility.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
It SHOULD be free, but I would be willing to pay up to $200 premium for PS1-PS4 disc based backwards compatibility and compatibility with all PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, and Vita digital games from the PSN.

OP
OP
imbarkus

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
just because something costs money to develop does not mean you need to charge for it. backwards comparability should be a built in service, it's not something companies should ever charge for

we're currently seeing microsoft crush it by doing exactly that and it's generated them so much good will. i just completely reject the idea that the only way this could happen is if it's a paid service

Third place in a race of three is crushing it? Don't get me wrong. MS got my good will this gen as well for these efforts. It's largely what sold me an XBox One... after I had bought the other ones.

Look, it's just the way things are going. Nintendo Online already locks BC with old titles behind a subscription service, and they still "curate" the titles for us. Demanding built-in BC is just... not gonna pay off.

Call my suggestion a compromise, but at least it's a workable one.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Things I'd like to see: OG Resident Evil 1,2,3, Final Fantasy VI, Parasite Eve, Dino Crisis, Silent Hill 1,2,3,4, Metal Gear Solid 1,2,3,4 (well and all the others in Legacy Collection), Red Dead Redemption and many more.

I mean sure you could put them on the store digitally it doesn't necessarily need to be full physical BC for the PS5 (even though that would be awesome), but what are the odds of all those games being remastered or being put up on the store

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
The possibility all depends on if there is even a lens in the PS5 to support reading CDs, which isnt a sure thing.
Usually people assume the CD laser is missing on the PS4, but the manual says there is one. I haven't seen someone suggest the lens is missing before, do you know of a teardown that gets into details like that?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly most of the people responding to this thread wouldn't be the indented audience for this idea.

It's clear not enough people actually care about PS1 and PS2 (or PS3) BC for Sony to take the time to include it its latest consoles for free. What the OP is asking is, how much could they conceivably charge for the feature targeted specifically at the hardcore people who still hold onto their collections of dozens or hundreds of PS1 and PS2 discs, and still might occasionally be in the mood to play Evil Zone, G-Darius, or Ace Combat 04 from time to time?

Honestly though I'm still mystified at why Sony dropped PS1 BC, which it had already achieved through full software emulation. Even if it didn't want to relicense all those PSOne classics for sale on the PS4, why not keep the disc-based BC there? Did they also not want to license the software to read CD-ROMs?

But let's flip the script for a second for the OP: what if, I dunno, SEGA decided to build its own Saturn/Dreamcast emulator for playing discs on both PC and modern consoles, and it actually managed to make one that was patently better than any current PC emualtor. How much would you pay for that?

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Usually people assume the CD laser is missing on the PS4, but the manual says there is one. I haven't seen someone suggest the lens is missing before, do you know of a teardown that gets into details like that?

Just meant that in a world where we cut out all sorts of features, heck even the Bluray slot is optional, you just cant be sure where corners might be cut.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some kind of hardware add-on that enables the playback of every game from PS1/2/3 accurately as fuck? Yeah I would chuck some cash down.

Software based BC? ..... nah.

Wouldnt mind seeing BC "apps" for each system, that get updated along the way though.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the emulation.

If it is flawless? Whatever Sony asks.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

So yeah, $0....
Dude. You're on a forum where we've worked on those games you're calling "fucking shitty". Have some class.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
None, it's the principle of the matter. I rather that be in the console already than them selling it later on as an add-on.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Ehhh, I think the only situation in which an emulator like that on PS5 would be a paid product would be if it were a third party app of some sort that miraculously got Sony's blessing.

I'd pay for that, sure, but if Sony is doing BC themselves it needs to be free, tbh. I recently broke out my OG launch unit PS3 so I can play some of my PS2 games that aren't on PS4. Who knows how long that PS3 is going to continue working though. I may have to eventually drop over $230 just to get a refurb slim PS2 if the PS3 dies. We can't keep going on like this without those legacy platforms being preserved somehow.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
$200+ easy peasy.

Quit telling me it isn't worth it I will prove it with my wallet.

Also how many of those PC emulating folk are even in the market for a PS5?

Last edited:

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Poll is kinda weird since the same dollar amounts are represented across 2 options multiple times.

I selected $100-200, but I'd pay $100 for BC. Don't really care about disc-based as I'm all digital, but I would assume that any disc-based solution would extend to digital content.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I would pay 200+ easily. I'm a collector, and keeping each of the consoles around to play games is a pain that I'd rather do without. Microsoft's BC is the reason that I'm making the Series X my main machine. I really wish Sony would put some effort into BC for their older games.

Of course I could build a PC for emulation......I just always end up putting together insanely expensive builds on PCPartPicker and then never pull the trigger.....

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So yeah, $0....
People like you are why 90% of silent films are lost. This is a disgusting post.

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
I would love for this to be a feature but I don't want to pay extra for it as if it is going to be a feature it should be free especially since Xbox doesn't charge extra.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'd pay $100-$150 for disc-based PS2 and PS3 emulation. Hell, add another $150 to the PS5 price if it means digital PS1, PS2 and PS3 emulation with every title in the console's library available to purchase digitally too aside from licensed titles with expired licensing.

Add Vita and PSP support and I'm down for buying at $800 a console.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I mean, I'm already buying the dang console. I already pay for PS Plus. I'd really rather not pay anything for a feature that past consoles have offered free of charge.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Zero. If they have successfully created a working PS1/2/3 emulator on PS5 why wouldn't they just include them as a default and put it as another incentive/ marketing point to the PS5.

You know, play your entire Playstation generation on PS5. They can still get revenue from digital softwares

Status
Not open for further replies.