• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

It's time for a makeover. What are we updating the name to?

• Soulsdenring

Votes: 54 6.9%
  • Bloodenring

Votes: 21 2.7%
  • Elden-Like

Votes: 23 2.9%
  • Ring-Lite

Votes: 8 1.0%
  • Sekiroring

Votes: 14 1.8%
  • Soulsbornekiroring

Votes: 436 55.6%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 228 29.1%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
I hope everyone is prepared, because if Elden Ring is good enough, we might have to re-evaluate the name "Soulsborne" as a genre of video game. The only course of action, naturally, would be to incorporate Elden Ring into the genre name too. The only question is.... how??

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's always just Souls in my book. No borne.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Elden Soulsborne

Being serious I don't see another change sticking after Bloodborne attached the latter part of Soulsborne. People tried attaching Sekiro into that genre name somehow and it didn't work. Soulsborne only sticks because it's easy to pronounce as a single word.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
OpenSoulsBorne.

(I havent seen anything that makes this look different than Dark Souls 4.)

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I don't use that name now, because it's dumb.

These games are Soulslikes or Souls-type games for want of any better term.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I know this is a joke thread, but "Soulsborne" really isn't a good genre name, and never was. Just "Souls-like" makes a lot more sense. You don't need to affix the "borne" part, because Bloodborne is already a Souls-like.

If the translation here is accurate, Miyazaki himself even refers to them as "Souls-likes".

blog.playstation.com

An interview with FromSoftware’s Hidetaka Miyazaki

The Souls creator discusses open world design, accessibility, It Takes Two, and more.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
stop-it-get-some-help.gif

souls or souls-like

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Never called it soulsborne. Frankly thought that was stupid when we already had the term souls-like.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
It's already Souls-like. Bloodborne fans just can't deal with not having their precious game mentioned in the genre.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
why does it have to be soulsborne. We only got 1 Bloodborne and sekiro exists so why does it get to be ahead of sekiro I am upset

SoulsR.R.ing

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Soulsbornekiroring really rolls off your tongue. As in, it takes your tongue and rolls of with it in tow.

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
Better get together a conference to come up with a "Berlin interpretation" to get this this settled once and for all.
Leave it to self important nerds to naming video game genre like they're scrambling for africa.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
It's not dumb Soulsborne; god I hate that name. It's Souls and will always be Souls. Trying so hard to tack Bloodborne on to the genre that it sounds stupid AF.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Also I think its kind of backwards to call From's Souls games "souls-like". That's like calling the original Rogue a roguelike. It's fine if you don't like "soulsborne", but don't use souls-like in this context.