• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 23, 2017
It's so weird. They seemed to be making all the right decisions but as soon as someone else asserted their dominance, it's like they didn't know what to do and, either due to arrogance or lack of belief, then decided to keep doing their own thing instead of adapting to the new times.

Then MS bought them and we all know what happened.
I had a Nokia E71 as my first smartphone. It didn't have apps like Andriod and iOS, but it was pretty decent. My next phone was an iphone 4s.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
My first cell phone was a Nokia 3589i. I just wanted a color screen, since so many other phones back then tended to have those horrible monochrome screens with blue backlights.

Nokia 3589i / 3587i

This tri-mode CDMA phone is the first Nokia model to include BREW technology. Also features EMS, but is otherwise similar to the 3586i model. Other features include a color display, voice dialing, and changeable faceplates.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lg-vx-9800-lg-the-v_8upd.jpg

lg vx9800

806lg.1.jpg

sick phone

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
A blue Ericsson T10s, in 2000.
I loved it.

R.bffbd1fd0db9aaae87677756ed3456ae

Topped only by the amazing (and fancy) Ericsson T28s a couple of years later <3 That thing was incredibly small and light.

Ericsson-T28-2014-1-1024x683.jpg

Suichimo

Mar 17, 2021
95% certain it was the Nokia 3310. I got my first cellphone when I was a new sophomore in High School, I remember having it when I went to that year's homecoming game, so you're looking around September 2004. Looking at phones from around that time, the 3310 fits the form factor that I remember. I did go through a lot of extra shells for it, especially the front half of the shell as I continually broke the screen guard out of it somehow.

My next phone was a RED Razr v2.

Amathene

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
First ever was the LG TM250 that my parents got me on a family plan
tm250.jpg

First phone I got for myself:
RM005a.jpg

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
It was some flavor of Nokia 3310. Might've been an AT&T-branded 3360. I don't remember exactly when I got it, but it was probably around 2002-2003. I didn't use it all that much but it was a nice first phone.

My next phones after that were both flip phones (a Motorola V505 and a Razr), and I loved those things.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol my ex had that blackberry. pink. i was so jealous. and then another ex had a damn sidekick. they always have cooler phones than me.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
This chunky boi

7304947-Nokia%206110%20(1)1.jpg

Nokia 6110, the model itself had been a couple of years out in the market already but my parents got it for me just when slowly started to become popular in my country (2000/2001), but the phone itself was brand new.

Monophonic ringtones, no cameras, Snake was absolutely addictive. I had the "Fuga" Ringtone.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Some shitty trac phone with 6 ring tones on it. My dad still laughs about it. "There's only 6 ringtones..." He says while cry laughing "...and you picked William Tell!!"

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Motorola_Droid_Bionic_XT875_Android_Smartphone_Verizon_-_Brown_10859_02.jpg
The first one I played around with was my mom's Razr, but I didn't have my own phone until inhereting my older brother's Droid Bionic when I went to college.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Was I'm thinking a kyocera cricket phone. Grey, no color, no pictures just text. Kind of squarish with a short solid stub antenna. Like 2004ish?

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly do not even remember, but seeing the pics in this thread pretty sure it was one of the earlier Motorola flip phones.
This was of course, at least my own experience with them, still back in the days they were more of a means to communicate when needed and not the necessity item they have become. Kind of surreal to think about it honestly. When they were first introduced they just were not anywhere near as pervasive in ones life. At least for me. Then shit done changed.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday a friend and I were talking about cellphones and eventually we started talking about our first phones.

My first phone was a Nokia 3310, gifted by my parents on my 16th birthday.

416Q02GR0ZL._AC_.jpg

Not bad at all for my first phone. Played Snake for hours on that beast.

Snake II

Sorry for being pedantic :)

I worked on DLC for the 3330 the follow up - snake II mazes, space impact levels, bumper tables etc. 2001 MTX - sorry!

I think the Nokia 5110 was my first one. Had a pager before that (!)

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Some Nokia flip phone but my first one i Really remember was a razr

sandyph

Oct 31, 2017
Nokia 5110, which have the best feature at that time

0*7oh7pvJ_GrcW1RNS.jpg

that's right, you can change the faceplate.
like having a new phone every couple of weeks.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Tried searching but can't find a pic of it. It was back in late 90's and branded with Pacific Bell logo. Pacific Bell was my carrier back then before they became Cingular and now AT&T. It was a large black thing that barely fit in a pocket and all I really remember other than that is it had a dedicated 'AAA' button that I could press to call AAA when the car broke down. Which actually was the reason I had got that phone as my first car was an '88 Hyundai Excel which did like to break down lol. Don't think I had it more than a year before switching to a Nokia.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
some cheapo flip phone from the late 2000's as an emergency phone, a phone I could actually use was some square LG flip phone with a full keyboard, and my first smartphone was a Samsung Galaxy Prevail on some long gone prepaid provider

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Nokia 7510.

nokia_7510_supernova.png

I fought getting a cellphone for so long, to the point that my friends made fun of me.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at this thread and phones used to be so much more cool.

Now, apart from some foldable phones, everything is basically the same. Also, I miss plastic casing. They used to be a lot more resistant than the glass or aluminum everyone uses today, and in a lot of the cases you could swap them yourself. This obsession with "premium feel" was a mistake.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
First one I bought with my own money was the LG Chocolate. I bought the white one and naturally called it the "White Chocolate" lol. I used it to listen to music (it could hold like a whopping 100 songs lol) and played a lot of crappy Java games on it.

Before that, I had a basic flip phone that a relative gave me. I'm not sure what model it was. It took very low resolution photos and I could play Tetris on it.

mernst23

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Sony Ericson T610. Got it when I was 17, it lasted for 4 years until the charging port got warped and air couldn't charge it anymore. Then over the next 3 years I went through 2 cheap LG phones and a Razr v3 I drowned, until a got a Tmobile G1. Then got the "G2" which was some HTC phone with a name I don't remember in order to get 4g, and eventually the touch screen gave out. GALAXY S3 (charging port warped), Note 4 (upgraded when it kept self rebooting), S9 Plus (lost it in Munich during octoberfest 2019), and now have a Note 10 plus.

So 10 phones in 18 years. Not too bad.

masud

Oct 31, 2017
I got my first phone freshman year of high school which was pretty early back in the late 90's
Kyocera_QCP_2035.jpg

Pretty sure it was this one but blue. It had this brick breaker game that I played so much I could beat the first few levels without looking at the screen.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
81iLXMmpGaL._AC_SY606_.jpg
Lmfao

Battery life was crazy, no dropped calls, and one time while jay walking i dropped it and it got ran over by car and still worked perfectly fine.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
When my parents extended their contract back in 2002 they got a Nokia 3510i and I got their old Nokia 3310. What a fantastic little device it was.

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
Alcatel one touch easy
could also run on AAA batteries

also mine was a dark greenish color but cannot find an image of that variant

Absolete-Alcatel-One-Touch-Easy-Mobile-Phone.jpg

Last edited: