• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SMB2 is the cop-out answer, but it's the answer in my heart.

...Does 14 reuse a lot of 11's assets? I know the designs are similar of some of the races but from what I've seen (which, to be fair, isn't a ton of 11's content) most of 14's assets seem new

To an extent. They reused some enemy models, and updated the textures.

(Not the best comparison because the person who made it was using SweetFx, but you get the idea.)
There are Cardians in Bardam's Mettle, which is still pretty darn weird.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Maybe Majora's Mask?

Like it's got a ton of reused assets, but the game itself even toys with it and feels very far removed from OoT so I guess this would be a positive example of it.

Think Mega Man in general has a lot of this going on.
Yeah, Majora's Mask reuse of assets is used mostly to just add to the uncanny creep factor of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill 3 had a lot of reused assets from 2. Even reused the same hospital level.

Silent Hill 4 also ended up reusing some assets from 3.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Do Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon count? Literally the same game for 90% of the playthrough, not really a sequel though.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
You reminded me about Atlas. This game from the ARK devs...

store.steampowered.com

ATLAS on Steam

Set sail for the ultimate pirate experience! Embark on a grand adventure alongside thousands of other players in one of the largest game worlds ever built (and even claim a piece of it to call your own). Build your ship, assemble your crew, sail the high seas, and become a pirate legend!

Fitting for this thread given that Atlas straight up had a hidden options screen taken directly from ARK.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
...Does 14 reuse a lot of 11's assets? I know the designs are similar of some of the races but from what I've seen (which, to be fair, isn't a ton of 11's content) most of 14's assets seem new
I'd say: some

I don't think there's a single reused asset between LTTP and ALBW...
It's not sharing the exact same assets, but still... it feels like one might count a lot of stuff "same" like the maps

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
serious sam 3 being a weird mess of their doom 4 pitch and their failed military shooter. it's a strange abomination of a game.

I really love that the Khnum enemies are just straight up Barons of Hell, and then the Scrapjack / Mancubus thing is even more blatant.. What a brilliant game and strange choice lol.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Tales of Xillia 2 is my pick for the worst, among games I've played.
I do think it's a drastic departure from the first. It's edgier, features a silent protagonist and puts a stronger focus on choice, it adds character events and revisits locations in reverse due to the debt system, characters are redesigned and three more are playable. It does end up feeling different. In that regard, the experience felt less like a retread as the OP states.

I mean, I disliked a lot of the changes but it was different. It made stopping time in battle feel lame.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
This should only be disparaged when it's done poorly. I don't need every aspect of a game series to be built from scratch for every entry.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Doesn't the Neptunia series reuse the same dungeons, straight up, layouts and all?
I've only played the first, and only about half of it, but screenshots of the other ones look exactly the same.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Don't think Majora's Mask can count when it's clearly done intentionally. It's supposed to have this parallel universe to Ocarina of Time thing going on.
I mean, they're all done intentionally. Stretching out the assets is a great way to get more value to the player for less cost. It's why we used to get enemies that were in a different colour but behaved differently so they could squeeze more gameplay variety in.

Hell, look at fighting games. Being able to reuse assets from one game to another is a godsend there.

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
Tales of Xillia 2. I'm still mad about it to this day. Such a massive dissapointment (I loved the first one despite its problems).

Saikar

Nov 3, 2017
FFX-2. The difference between the old areas from FFX (detailed, well-painted maps) and the new ones for the sequel (nondescript tunnel dungeons) was extremely jarring.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
Pokémon XD was pretty disappointing in this regard. The new areas were all frontloaded and then the majority of the game takes place in the exact same areas from Pokémon Colosseum.

Sep 29, 2019
I don't think if this can be considered a sequel per se... but if we're talking about asset re-use, i would say Pokémon Ultra Sun/Moon. I mean... at least they added new cutscenes, right???

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
To be as objective as possible it'd be also one of my favorite sets of sequels, the .hack ps2 games. The fact that everything carried over and it was a single overall experience was awesome, but it blatantly reused the same stuff except for maybe the towns.
GU was and still is the worst, like the game is amazing to look at, but for the majority of vol 1 you will be visiting the same three generic places. You very much knew that all the attention was given to the hub areas and the Hidden Forbidden Areas, which while the later is pleasing for the eyes you only really visit a handful of times. The walking speed also makes the experience even more painful as Haseo ia slow as fuck, and the speed scrolls doesn't help at all, unlike the original quadrilogy where it turns Kite into Speedy Gonzales.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Majora's Mask is up there, but I think they utilized the re-use pretty well.

Another that comes to mind is Resident Evil Revelations 2, but again I feel they did a pretty good job there.

I like to live in positive examples.
Not sure what assets are being re-used in Rev2, it's a whole new setting with new characters, enemies and mechanics.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
The recent SoulCalibur and Tekken titles have been pretty bad about reusing assets created a decade ago for customizations.

One does not simply forget a four-timer buffalo head like that

There are a lot of other items throughout these titles (and ones like Tekken 6 and Tag 2. Basically anything since last gen) I just thought it was remarkable that they used this particular buffalo head four times, even crossing over into another series entirely (Gigas has a couple of other items borrowed from SC's customization suite, oddly exclusive to him).

edit: Actually, looking at it now, they may have redone the model for Soul Calibur V, which is strange 'cause that's the only one that is the same gen as SCIV.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
GU was and still is the worst, like the game is amazing to look at, but for the majority of vol 1 you will be visiting the same three generic places. You very much knew that all the attention was given to the hub areas and the Hidden Forbidden Areas, which while the later is pleasing for the eyes you only really visit a handful of times. The walking speed also makes the experience even more painful as Haseo ia slow as fuck, and the speed scrolls doesn't help at all, unlike the original quadrilogy where it turns Kite into Speedy Gonzales.
I thought the re-release fixed that for GU? I still prefer the original quadrilogy myself, but GU fixed a lot of stuff in the ps4 release I thought. May be remembering it wrong.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
Majora's Mask is up there, but I think they utilized the re-use pretty well.

Another that comes to mind is Resident Evil Revelations 2, but again I feel they did a pretty good job there.

I like to live in positive examples.

I can't remember what assets RE REV2 used.

----------------------------------------------

Monster Hunter sequels, they're the same game with different name.

Oct 31, 2017
Star Ocean 5. It used assets from Star Ocean 4, battle skills were pretty much reskins from Star Ocean 3, oh and re-used a lot of music from SO4. Seriously felt like the cheapest game I've ever played.

Also, Kingdom Hearts is a pretty lazy ass series IMO I was pretty tired of seeing the same shit by the time DDD rolled around

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Saint Row 4 was originally a expansion pack, and the open world is just a recoloured version of Steelport with blocks to use superpowers on. It's still a really funny game.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite

-Hideous game, looked far uglier than its prequel
-Roster with DLC was smaller than the first version of MVC3 with no DLC, despite the blatant asset reuse
-They picked the worst selection of characters to reuse assets on

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
It feels like Final Fantasy (10 and 10-2, 11 and 14) and Zelda (LTTP>ALBW, OOT>MM) are the worst "offenders" but all sequels turned out to be pretty good.

As a controversal suggestion: WC3 - Dota
LTTP > Four Swords > Four Sword Adventures is a better LTTP example. ALBW didn't reuse any assets.

bazzi

Dec 19, 2017
It feels like Final Fantasy (10 and 10-2, 11 and 14) and Zelda (LTTP>ALBW, OOT>MM) are the worst "offenders" but all sequels turned out to be pretty good.

As a controversal suggestion: WC3 - Dota
dota isnt a sequel, ALBW reused none of LTTP assets (these are very confusing choices)

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I thought the re-release fixed that for GU? I still prefer the original quadrilogy myself, but GU fixed a lot of stuff in the ps4 release I thought. May be remembering it wrong.
Haven't played it, as this is from my memories of playing GU back in 2016 on the PS2. From what I heard they only turned down the grinding needed in the game, not so much in adding more variety in the zones that you can visit. It still very much is just grasszone (with it varying by using one of three stages of day), cave dungeon, and Japanese shrine dungeon for Vol. 1.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Not nearly enough mentions of Yakuza. Maps, buildings, character models, animations, UI components... it's like the Japanese Madden.

Dec 11, 2017
DOOM to DOOM II. One new weapon, a handful of new enemies and textures. Majority of the assets are reused.
5o3mVOa.jpg

^Can you tell which game this is?

DubleDuce

Jan 15, 2018
Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 comes to mind. It was basically just a slightly larger expansion pack for the first game.