• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
It has to be Surskit right? It had a unique typing, until Sun & Moon at least, and lost it to become yet another Bug/Flying.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
palpitoad.jpg

Tympole is already really ugly but this manages to out ugly the little guy

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Actual answer: Surskit to Masquerain. From the only Bug/Water Pokemon in the game at the time to a generic Bug/Flying type.

250px-283Surskit.png

250px-284Masquerain.png

What a goddamn tease.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Cyndaquil to Typhlosion. Evolves from the cutest and best starter to something completely meh

Last edited:

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I hate the entire Fennekin line (my least favorite Pokémon) because of its evolutions, so I'd probably say Fennekin. Honorable mention to Incineroar.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
god I missed when starter evolutions looked like actual animal monster thingies and not dudes in costumes

braixen > delphox probably takes the cake for me honestly

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Quilladin
Incineroar
Samurott
Diggersby
Pignite
Primarina
Electrode
Tympole
Klink line
Goodra

I can't with these. There's more but these are off the top of my head.

IOi9520.gif

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Gen 1 is notorious about this:

Clefairy -> Clefable (just a fatter version)
Graveler -> Golem (how is this physically possible?)
Goldeen -> Seaking (effeminate Goldfish becomes a masculine one with just color change)
Staryu -> Starmie (pretty sure Sugimori was bored when he created Starmie)
Voltorb -> Electrode (same as Starmie)
Bellsprout -> Weepinbell (I still don't understand why Bellsprout becomes stationary when it evolves)
Psyduck -> Golduck (this makes zero sense. These should have been separate pokémon)

Kamala

Sep 22, 2019
😦
*likes Goodra, Incineroar, Emboar, Diggersby, Alolan Persian, & Tangrowth*

I'm gonna agree with that crab thing, though.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honchkrow is cool on his own, but thematically feels like a mega downgrade from Murkrow.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Thread Whining
Right, because what we need is another inherently negative and inevitably personal pokemon thread

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
This is the thread for Chespin. You start out all cute and adorable then evolve into Quilladin. When Quilladin was revealed, I switched to Team Froakie. Then Chesnaught leaked and cemented my decision.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

Oh man, that was so disappointing. I try to avoid as much info as I can before Pokemon games, and I instantly loved Crabrawler when I first saw it. It was awesome at first but started to become clearly outclassed by the rest of my team later in the game. I started to suspect he didn't evolve so I asked a friend to look up for me whether or not it evolves, just yes or no so its appearance would still be a surprise. After another few hours I asked him to look up how exactly you evolve it since it was getting to a really high level. I was surprised when he told me, then shocked when I saw the yeti.

Unexpected evolutions are cool in theory, but geez, what a bizarre design.

Not to get off-topic but Pokemon that need to level up in a specific area to evolve are annoying in general, especially when a Pokemon you can catch early in the game can't evolve until one of the final zones.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Right, because what we need is another inherently negative and inevitably personal pokemon thread

Wouldn't be bad if people explained why they think something is bad. For example I dislike the direction Delphox went thematically when its based on a Fennec and by the end its covered in a new colour that wasn't at all present previously and just does not evoke the original all that much.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I get what they were going for with Crabominable, Crabrawler climbs to the top of an icy mountain (only place where it can evolve) and becomes a yeti crab(awesome animal) and the boxing gloves become boxing mitts as its become more of a coach in its older age, I just think the execution could have gone a bit better.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be bad if people explained why they think something is bad. For example I dislike the direction Delphox went thematically when its based on a Fennec and by the end its covered in a new colour that wasn't at all present previously and just does not evoke the original all that much.
If only that was how most actually posted

Instead, this always ends up as either a flame war or drive bys

But also framing it as "worst evolutions" instead of "evolutions you dislike" is tainted as a premise.

Dec 21, 2018
None.

All Pokémon are unique in their own way and have people who enjoy them. We don't need to be needlessly negative.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I actually was disappointed in Goodra. Not because I think Goodra is a bad design, but because it breaks off so many of the cool things from Sliggoo and Goomy, they lose their really unique faces for a generic face in Goodra and the slug like goopy body is replaced with a dragon body with goop coming off of it, not inherently bad, but it loses a lot of the themes of the line.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually was disappointed in Goodra. Not because I think Goodra is a bad design, but because it breaks off so many of the cool things from Sliggoo and Goomy, they lose their really unique faces for a generic face in Goodra and the slug like goopy body is replaced with a dragon body with goop coming off of it, not inherently bad, but it loses a lot of the themes of the line.
What exactly is that line supposed to be anyway? A slug?

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Goldeen to Seaking. It evolves from a fashionable fish to a generic dead-eyed fish with a slightly longer horn.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the final evolutions of a lot of the starters because they usually look rough and edgy by the time they're fully grown. I usually like their small, cute look way more.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this kind of discussion is just toxic because nobody knows how to voice their opinion without stating theyre shit as objective truth instead of saying they dont like something and moving on, or just post a picture and nothing else as if everyone is supposed to know what they actually think beyond "lol its dumb xD"

Its tiring